Profile for rjluvgun > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

"rjluvgun" RSS Feed (Lake Elsinore, Ca)

Page: 1 | 2
The Wedding Singer Volume 2: More Music From The Motion Picture
The Wedding Singer Volume 2: More Music From The Motion Picture
Offered by megahitrecords
Price: $8.36
176 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it because of the memories, December 24, 2003
I wont say too much else except that both albums are good recaps of the 80's. Incidently the song played at the wedding where Adam (Robbie)is stood up is "Don't stop believing" Which is a Journey song.

Destroyer
Destroyer
156 used & new from $0.32

5.0 out of 5 stars The Holy grail of Kiss Albums, March 27, 2003
This review is from: Destroyer (Audio CD)
I mean it, this is the best Kiss album ever. If you had to look up the definition of Kiss it would say "See Destroyer". Look at the track listing, they are all classic Kiss songs. It plays like a greatest hits package if you ask me. Today Kiss still plays most of these songs in concert and they have over 30 albums in their catalog. Bob Ezrin deserves credit for molding Destroyer into the seamless album it is. Forget about his work on The Elder, and celebrate what he did on this and Revenge. If I were in Kiss I would'nt use any other producer. The Beatles didn't and look where they got. By the way I think it's a total sham that Kiss has been overlooked all these years for the rock and roll hall of fame. The Clash, Aerosmith, Ac/dc, and Elvis Costello made it in and they haven't is wrong...

Love Gun
Love Gun
94 used & new from $0.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Love gun blows me away!, March 27, 2003
This review is from: Love Gun (Audio CD)
Without getting long winded, Love gun is simply a fun album. With anthems like the title track and tommorow & tonight, it easy to understand why this album was so successful. In these times with war and depressing political messages being thrust at us, Love Gun is a reminder that life is good.

Dynasty
Dynasty
77 used & new from $0.33

5.0 out of 5 stars I was made for loving Dynasty, March 27, 2003
This review is from: Dynasty (Audio CD)
Why is it believed that a band is only relevant if it sticks to the same formula? Ac/dc does the same music over and over again and I stopped buying their albums. Do I dislike Ac/dc? No, Ac/dc rocks but how many times are they going to rewrite the same songs? That brings me to Dynasty, Kiss' return album(In the 70's if you didn't put out an album a year you were dead. These days it takes years.)after 2 years. The last album being Love Gun. But actually they had lots of releases after Love gun and before Dynasty. They were: Alive 2, Double Platinum, & the solo albums. I count 6 records in 2 years. Some time off! Anyway, Dynasty is a strong Kiss album showing deversity lacking in other bands material. Some would criticize Kiss for selling out and hopping on the Disco band wagon. So what if they did? I was made for loving you is a classic to this day (Even Homer Simpson loves the song!). Sure it didn't sound like any other Kiss album but that's what makes it so special. I can't name a song on it I don't like. This is without a doubt, an essental Kiss album.

The Very Best of Kiss
The Very Best of Kiss
Price: $8.39
113 used & new from $1.87

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money and buy the box set instead, March 26, 2003
This review is from: The Very Best of Kiss (Audio CD)
I'm a huge KISS fan but I doubt that I will buy this album. There is no need to buy it, which I know hasn't stopped me before. But you get to a certain age and realize that there are certain things that just aren't worth the money. I work hard for my money and I would rather spend [money amount] on a Kiss action figure than on a album that has no new material (Not even a remix or anything). I can make this cd myself from my Kiss catalog that I already own. Plus there are many overlooked songs left off this cd. Here's the track listing: 1. STRUTTER 3.10 (original version from KISS, 1974)
2. DEUCE 3.06 (from KISS, 1974)
3. GOT TO CHOOSE 3.54 (from HOTTER THAN HELL, 1974)
4. HOTTER THAN HELL 3.31 (from HOTTER THAN HELL, 1974)
5. C'MON AND LOVE ME 2.57 (from DRESSED TO KILL, 1974)
6. ROCK AND ROLL ALL NITE live 4.01 (radio hit version taken from ALIVE!, 1975)
7. DETROIT ROCK CITY 3.38 (from DESTROYER 1976)
8. SHOUT IT OUT LOUD 2.49 (from DESTROYER 1976)
9. BETH 2.45 (from DESTROYER 1976)
10. I WANT YOU 3.04 (from ROCK AND ROLL OVER, 1976)
11. CALLING DR. LOVE 3.44 (from ROCK AND ROLL OVER, 1976)
12. HARD LUCK WOMAN 3.34 (from ROCK AND ROLL OVER, 1976)
13. I STOLE YOUR LOVE 3.04 (from LOVE GUN, 1977)
14. CHRISTINE SIXTEEN 3.14 (from LOVE GUN, 1977)
15. LOVE GUN 3.18 (from LOVE GUN, 1977)
16. NEW YORK GROOVE 3.03 (from ACE FREHLEY, 1978)
17. I WAS MADE FOR LOVING YOU 4.30 (from DYNASTY, 1979)
18. I LOVE IT LOUD 4.15 (from CREATURES OF THE NIGHT, 1982)
19. LICK IT UP 3.56 (from LICK IT UP, 1983)
20. FOREVER 3.52 (from HOT IN THE SHADE, 1989)
21. GOD GAVE ROCK 'N' ROLL TO YOU II 5.18 (from REVENGE 1992)
What's missing? Heavens on fire, Cold Gin, Parasite, She, God of Thunder, Do you love me, Shock Me, Tears are falling, Reason to live, & Psycho Circus just to name a few. KISS obviously had little or no input in this collection which had me reflect their Greatest Hits to date:
1978-Double Platinum (Had remixes of Firehouse, Dr.Love, Detroit, Rock city, She, Black Diamond, and they re-recorded Strutter)
1982-Killers (Overseas Only) (Had 4 new songs and shortened a couple of songs)
1988-Smashes, Thrashes, & Hits (Had 2 new songs and remixes of DRC, I love it loud, Love Gun, Deuce, Shout it out loud, and Eric Carr performing Beth)
1996-You wanted the best, You got the best (Best of live had 4 unreleased live tracks and interview with Jay Leno)
1997-Greatest Kiss (Had Live version of Shout it out loud from Tiger Stadium, the opening night of the Reunion Tour)
That's not even counting The Box Set, Chikara, The Alive albums, or Unplugged which had previously released songs on them. This album is not necessary and I believe is just a record company creation to cash in on KISS. But KISS is not guilt free either as they are promoting this too, since they do receive royalties on sales of this CD.

Symbol of Salvation
Symbol of Salvation
Price: $12.82
30 used & new from $7.22

5.0 out of 5 stars The album you only heard on KNAC, June 30, 2002
This review is from: Symbol of Salvation (Audio CD)
I remember 1991 very well. I was a year out of high school and making the 50 mile drive to Anahiem 5 times a week. I was attending video school and spending a minimum of 2 hours a day in my car Mon-Fri, mostly in traffic. But what got me through was my radio, which was tuned into 105.5 KNAC. As you probably know, KNAC is now online but at that time it was the most well known hard rock radio station in the world (It still is, in fact). But what really stands out now is a song I heard on the station called "Reign of fire" by Armored Saint. I liked the song so much I went out and bought the album. I loved it from the start, not able to this day to pin point any certain songs that are better or worse. The album is a package with no filler or waste. It was interesting that John Bush went from this band to Anthrax and pretty much changed Anthrax into a second rate Armored Saint. I would have prefered Anthrax stay Anthrax and Armored Saint stay who they were. But at the time Anthrax had great prospects, like being signed to Elektra and the big hit "Bring the noise" with Public Enemy brought them to the trendy set. But "..White noise" & "Stomp 242" failed to live up to Anthrax's or Armored Saints pasts and Elektra dropped them. Beyond Records signed Anthrax and released "Vol 8" which was better, but still not anywhere near as good as this album. This is the best example of how Armored Saint was before all that nonsense happened. A time machine back to 1991.

Unplugged
Unplugged
Price: $8.39
141 used & new from $0.88

5.0 out of 5 stars KISS at their strip down best, June 12, 2002
This review is from: Unplugged (Audio CD)
I won't get long winded on this like I did on my Revenge, Psycho Circus, or Creatures of the night reviews. Unplugged showed how talented these musicians are. Also it shows that these songs that are played loud ordinarily can be played acoustic and still have the same power musically. Plus it was quite a treat to have both new and old KISS jam together. I wish I could have been there!

Creatures of the Night
Creatures of the Night
85 used & new from $2.41

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best and underated KISS albums ever, June 12, 2002
This review is from: Creatures of the Night (Audio CD)
Creatures of the night was the right album at the wrong time. KISS' popularity was faultering and fickle America had already gone on to Duran Duran and Devo for their musical fix. Not that I have anything against those groups, but we're talking about KISS. It's ironic that this is the style Album Ace Frehley wanted to make since "Dynasty", but never got to make. By the time "Creatures.." was in development, Ace was gone and wasn't looking back which is too bad. Imagine how different the album would have been if he had been involved. I really don't like that Gene and Paul put Peter on Unmasked and Ace on Creatures of the night because to me it's like false advertising. They knew damn well that Peter and Ace were gone, but capitalized on their personas to market the albums. But I gave this 5 stars not for the album cover but for the music within the album. First I liked the Remaster for the fact it put the original cover and song order back they way it was. Robert Conte, the one in charge of the remasters restoration, was at the KISS convention in Burbank, which I went to too and was just another face in the crowd like me. They had a Q&A session with KISS and he was lucky enough to get to ask them a question. He remarked to the band about how the different reissues of the albums stray away from the original concepts of the album's initial release and wished that they would reissue the classic albums they way they were intended. They took him on right there on the spot to be in charge of the reissues they were planning at the time. Kisstory was made and I was there to witness it. Peter Criss also came out to sing too, but you see all about that on Second Coming and the unplugged video. Anyway, I hated the initial Creatures Cd release with a different cover and weird track listing. Bruce Kulick, like Ace Frehley was misrepresented on the cover. The back cover has someones butt on it, which brings me to the question;what the hell were they thinking? Vinnie Vincent should have been on the cover since he played on the album, even though Vinnie Vincent is a jerk...
The point is, the sound is incredible and the songs are the best KISS had recorded in years. Like Revenge, this album got lost by the public and was only appreciated overseas. But that's where KISS has always been appreciated the most. This is an essential album for your Cd collection. 'Nuff Said.

Psycho Circus
Psycho Circus
Offered by MEGA Media
Price: $14.02
120 used & new from $0.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe it or not; One of KISS' Best, June 12, 2002
This review is from: Psycho Circus (Audio CD)
I say believe it or not because most will find the final KISS studio release(Most likely) a disapointment. Not me. This is the first KISS album to feature the original 4 since 1977's "Love Gun" (Which is also on my list of favorites). Don't say "Dynasty" was the last because Peter Criss only played on "Dirty Livin'" and that's not enough for me to consider it the last with the original 4. I remember hearing the title track on the radio for the first time and felt an anticipation I hadn't felt since "Revenge". Kiss, up to this point had released Kiss my ass, Alive 3, You wanted the best you got the best, Unplugged, and Greatest Kiss in a span of a few years and I don't mind admitting that I was tired of Greatest Hits packages. Carnival of souls was a shelved album released VERY poorly (I hate the cover!)and was like the Elder in that it was KISS trying to be somebody else. I heard the whole album a year before it was released and Mercury just released it to cash in on us KISS maniacs who buy anything KISS. Which brings us to "Psycho Circus", named after the KISS comic and the wrap up to a great career for KISS. I won't go into detail about the album but I will say that if this album had been given the proper backing by the record company, it would have been a bigger seller for them. "You wanted the best" is my dream come true;all 4 singing on the same song, which is the only time KISS did that. It actually brings you back to the spirit of the first album, where a majority of the songs had everyone(except Ace)singing. They got away from that as the years went on, but it's not that big of an issue. For what it is worth, Psycho Circus belongs with Revenge and the other classic KISS albums that define the band and capture it's disposition at any given time. There was speculation about studio musicans filling in the gaps for Ace and Peter on some songs, which I really don't care to know the truth. It would ruin the album for me and it really doesn't matter to me. I liked that Bruce Kulick and Bob Ezrin contributed to this album which to me makes this a mix of all the great elements of KISS in one album. No true KISS fan should be without this album.

Revenge
Revenge
Price: $7.39
108 used & new from $1.97

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best KISS albums ever!, June 12, 2002
This review is from: Revenge (Audio CD)
I have been a fan since 1976 and stayed with KISS through the ups and downs. This is one of the ups! After wading through pop mediocrity for over 10 year (with the exception of Creatures of the night)KISS finally shows why they are the hottest band in the world. Forget makeup, lineup changes, and lack of critical support because this album sets the record straight. I remember sitting in my living room back in 1992 watching the debut of "Unholy" on Headbangers Ball with my jaw dropping to the floor. I was blown away by KISS' look and sound and, for the first time in years, was counting the days until the album's release. 10 years later it stands the test of time as a classic KISS album no fan should be without.
The other great KISS albums, by the way, I also reviewed if you liked what I wrote. Those are "Destroyer", "KISS", "Creatures of the night", "Lick it up", "Dynasty", "Love Gun", "RnR Over", "Unplugged" & believe it or not "Psycho Circus" which I'm going to write next...

Page: 1 | 2