Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.
Reviews Written by
Khemprof "Khemprof" (Cincinnati, Ohio)
7 of 11 people found the following review helpful
Norton Antivirus 2014 - 1 User / 3 Licenses
, October 19, 2013
Norton Antivirus 2014 - 1 User / 3 Licenses
Norton Antivirus uses exclusive, patented layers of protection that work together to neutralize viruses, dangerous websites, and social media scams, so you're protected from today's and tomorrow's online threats.
Active protection - protects you from viruses, identity theft and social media dangers
Automatic, silent updates - keep you one step ahead of new threats and those not yet invented
Deep-cleansing tools - scour and disinfect even the nastiest infections that lesser products miss
Microsoft® Windows® XP (32-bit) Home/Professional/Tablet PC/Media Center (32-bit) with Service Pack 2 or later
Microsoft Windows Vista® (32-bit and 64-bit) Starter/Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Ultimate with Service Pack 1 or later
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) Starter/Home Basic/Home Premium/Ultimate
Microsoft Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro (32-bit and 64-bit)
Minimum Hardware Requirements:
300 MHz for Microsoft Windows XP, 1 GHz for Microsoft Windows Vista/Windows 7/ Windows 8
256 MB of RAM
300 MB of available hard disk space
CD-ROM or DVD drive (if not installing via electronic download)
Email scanning supported for POP-3-compatible email clients
Browser Support for Phishing Protection, Safe Search, and Password Management
Microsoft Internet Explorer® 7.0 or higher (32-bit only) Mozilla® Firefox® (32-bit only) Google Chrome(tm)
Browser Support for Vulnerability Protection
Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher (32-bit only)
Mozilla Firefox (32-bit only)
1. Some protection features are not available in Windows 8 style browsing mode.
2. As made available by Symantec within your service period.
3. Supports current and the most recent previous 32-bit releases
Some product features are:
* Active virus detection and elimination lets you share freely, without getting or passing on viruses. Five patented layers of protection and advanced reputation and behavior antivirus technology quickly find and eliminate viruses and spyware.
* Protects your privacy and prevents your passwords and identity from being stolen when you go online, so you can surf the Web without worry. Stops online threats before they can reach your computer.
* Won't slow you down or get in your way. Superior performance delivers fast scanning
* Identity theft and social media dangers
* Automatic, silent updates - keep you one step ahead of new threats and those not yet invented
* Deep-cleansing tools - scour and disinfect even the nastiest infections that lesser products miss
* Insight identifies which files and applications are safe and which are dangerous, using the combined feedback of more than 175 million Norton users.
* Norton Community Watch tracks virtually every file on the Internet for comprehensive global threat monitoring.
* SONAR Behavioral Protection detects signs that a file is dangerous to proactively protect you from never-before-seen threats.
* Internet Protection System scours websites and social networking sites for suspicious links and content to identify the latest social networking scams.
* Download Insight and IP Address Insight prevent you from downloading files from websites that have a low reputation score within the Norton user community.
* Live 24x7 Threat Monitoring is backed by a network of Norton users who serve as your own personal Neighborhood Watch group.
* Scam Insight reviews a website's reputation and lets you know if it's safe to enter your personal information.
* Anti-phishing Technology blocks fraudulent "phishing" sites set up to steal your personal information.
* Identity Safe remembers, secures and automatically enters your usernames and passwords for you, so they can't be lost or stolen.
* Safe Web tells you if a website is unsafe before you visit it and it's too late.
* Safe Web for Facebook scans your Facebook Wall and News Feed for URLs containing security threats, such as phishing sites, malicious downloads and links to unsafe external sites.
* Network mapping and monitoring shows all the devices connected to your home network, so you can spot uninvited guests using your wireless connection and/or eavesdropping on you.
* Automatic product downloads and installations when you're not using your computer ensure your protection is always up to date.
* Norton Pulse updates virus definitions every 5 to 15 minutes without disrupting your work or play.
* Insight + Optimized File Copy identifies safe files and only scans unknown files.
* Built-in Intelligence maximizes battery life by putting off non-critical activities until you are plugged in and out of full-screen mode.
* Norton Management enables easy single-password access to all Norton cloud-based applications and Web properties - to update, renew, fix or install Norton. Includes Norton Management, Norton Anti-Theft, Norton Family and Identity Safe.
* Windows® 8 Compatibility touch-friendly support works equally well in keyboard and mouse environments.
* Norton Power Eraser scrubs your computer of deeply embedded, difficult-to-remove infections.
* Norton Bootable Recovery Tool creates an emergency rescue CD, DVD or USB that gets your PC running like new, even if it's so infected it won't start up.
* Windows 8 App Remediation scans Windows 8 apps for threats and removes them.
* Live 24x7 Support gets you access to help online or by phone.
The installation of the software was very easy. You just have to remember to remove any existing Symantec software prior to the installation of the new software. If you need to re-download a program from Symantec you can always go to their website and they have all of the current active software that is on your computer and it can be re-downloaded again if needed. The anti-virus program is stable and works in the background where is sorts through the programs looking for viruses. The product updates automatically and doesn't slow down the computer's speed. The program will block a harmful website and will warn you of the fact.
This is a vine review and a representative full program was sent for an honest review.
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
Norton Internet Security 2011
, February 13, 2011
Norton's Internet Security 2011:
After using Norton's Internet Security 2011 for the last 3 months, I am very satisfied. It works great to keep your computer running smoothly. There are improvements over the 2010 version, but what strikes me as the best feature, it works in the back ground, keeping you or anyone using your computer out of harms way. Now, with any software programs, there are those nefarious characters that want to invade and steal information from computers every where. Norton's Internet Security has an uncanny sense to know the good guys from the bad, thus keeping your computer safe. Screen flash ups warn the user of malicious sites and prevents you from engaging them. There is a computer link with Symantec that updates automatically, keeping your software up-to-date. Malicious sites are being constantly being found, identified, through a user network associated with Symantec. This is a non-intrusive identification process.
Norton's Internet Security 2011 doesn't slow a computer down, at least mine, and most important it works in the back ground. It stops online dangers without the sacrifice of performance, browsing, shopping, and banking online are much safer using this software, e-mail, chat, and surf are much safer, fixing your computer is far easier with the rescue tools in this program, if you have children, with the parental controls you can feel better that your children will not fall prey to criminals. I must add this caveat, there is no computer program that will keep your children totally or completely safe, so good parental judgment on computer usage is always a plus, but Norton's parental control management helps in monitoring usage.
Norton's Internet Security 2011 is faster, safer, and lighter than in previous editions, making it very useful for XP users. With this newest version there is a Reputation Service. Upon running it, it will identify those programs on your computer that might be suspect to further review about being safe. There is a newer improved safe web, keeping scams from harming you or your computer. Here again, good judgment is needed, Norton's Internet Security help with making sound judgments. This goes along with Norton's anti-phishing, parental control management, proactive performance alerts, Norton's insight, system wide and downloading, and identity safe.
Norton's Internet Security 2011 has overlapping technologies working for you. Keeping e-mail and chat virus free or from picking up a virus from these services, as Norton prescreens to keep your computer safer. This is a hard working security software that is light and not a memory hog. Point in fact, you don't notice Norton's Internet Security 2011, until it alerts you of malicious intent coming across the net. It even alerts you if someone is trying to use your home network by blocking them out, preventing them access.
Trojan virus attacks, unauthorized network use, scams, and malicious wed attacks are being prevented and fixed without slowing your computer performance with this program. Norton has improved its product, for the better, making your computer smarter at fighting off nefarious tricks to gain your identity.
Norton's Internet Security 2011 is a solid 5 stars, if there is anything wrong, it is minor and it will be covered with the auto-update feature. I've noticed this when there were Internet Explorer browser issues, Norton was correcting them as they were being identified, keeping browsing safer.
Addendum: May 09, 2011 I was experiencing some slow down in the performance of my computer. So, not to be one who holds all his eggs in one basket, I bought Malwarebytes' Anti-malware software and ran it to check for malware and viruses. Guess what, there were 16 trojan viruses on my computer that were NOT identified by NIS. Malwarebytes' Anti-malware works well with NIS. I haven't experienced any conflicts, nor have I been virally infected either. I still like NIS for its broad protection and features, but beware, not all anti-virus software will catch all viruses. You may wish to have extra protection. The caveat is choose wisely, not all software is compatible and you may experience conflicts. Add Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to NIS for a more confident internet experience.
I used Norton's chat feature to chat with a representative about this situation. The reply I received was, "Not all anti-virus software catches every virus." Which is a true statement, but I reported the identified viruses and malware to Symantec. I know the software makers want you to use only their software, but the new viruses and malware are getting more complicated and you need to step up the game to catch them... even left over roots seem to sprout like weeds in a garden. So, they play a rough game, you have to add to your arsenal. Malwarebytes' will not get every virus either. That's why this combination works for now, until the beasties breed and newer versions get disseminated. So, Caveat Emptor. Who knows what lurks behind the next web page you open.
Update: May 23, 2011 There is a feature to the NIS program that if you think there may still be a problem after you do a virus scan to click here. Well, I clicked the area and a new program called Norton Power Eraser was displayed. This is a program that works in tandem with Symantec's computer to analyze what this program scanned on your computer and they will let you know if files or programs are infected. I ran this file and I'm virus free as far as I can tell, but it is nice to have a software company dedicate a computer to analyze suspicious or virus laden programs. Also, there is a link to Norton Boot Disc that helps if you can or can't get online due to a virus. This is another helpful program. There is a link to the FBI to report criminal behavior due to viral infections.
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
Norton Internet Security 2010
, November 9, 2009
Norton Internet Security 2010 by Symantec is a great improvement to have on your computer. I say this, not lightly, but if you want serious protection from viruses, malware, scriptware, worms and any other computer hijacking problems out on the web, Norton Internet Security 2010 is an excellent partner to have along for the ride.
Norton Internet Security 2010 is an intuitive program and you set the setting the way you want or left the program choose for you as what you want it to do. This program does a lot. I remember the early years when viruses could be caught from anywhere and the web especially. Now, Symantec's Norton Internet Secruity 2010 can be a great help in identifying malicious websites and the program can direct the computer to leave the site if there is suspicious content... mainly if the site can be a site for hijacking computers. What is amazing that Norton Internet Security 2010 is a learning program, not a static program, the program receives pulse updates in the background without any loss of computer functionality or speed. Virus updates are constantly being updated, again by pulse keeping you constantly protected from viruses, malware, worms or other nefarious software.
Symantec has a winner in this software, I would highly recommend this software. Norton Internet Security 2010 has a parental guide that can help parents control what content their children be exposed to on the net. You can update as you like or set it and forget it and let the software do its job as, here again, this gets updated regularly via the automatic update feature. Remember, you can also update this software manually to see if you have received all the latest from Symantec's growing library of sites to avoid.
I truly like this software. In my down time the computer runs checks in the back ground keeping the computer free of pop-ups of various kinds and virus free making for a better computer experience... also adware that the computer picks up from site to site can be eliminated or the program can be set to allow certain site's adware.
Norton's Internet Security is divided into three parts for easy access and programing... Computer, Network, and Web. Within each of these three segments allows you to customize how Norton's Internet Security will work depending on your preferences... of course you can fall back to the presets if you like.
From the "Computer" setting you can: Scan Now, History, and Quarantine. Also, live update can done manually from this screen. Settings for this part of the program are done here.
From "Network" we have the vulnerability protection and the network security map. From this screen is were you can set e-mail screening and firewall protection. This firewall is one that helps the computer owner to keep out the injurious attacks against your computer... I've noticed a markedly decrease in the pings that are generated on the net by some businesses.
From "Web" you have Log-ins, Cards, and Parental Controls. Log-ins can be adjusted, but mainly it is there to identify the person on the computer when going to favorite websites... where Cards now plays a roll. Cards is a safety to make sure that are to correct person to log-in any favorite site. Parental Control has options that can be set for your child's safety to your satisfaction.
All of the sections are healthy and robust parts of Symantec's Norton Internet Security 2010. This program is constantly learning and is pulse updated on a regular basis ensuring that you have the latest updated program Symantec can provide.
Symantec's Norton Internet Security is a solid improvement over previous versions and takes much LESS of your computer resources, making your computer run smoothly while it's being protected.
For it's intuitiveness, learning ability, smooth running, computer resource friendly, and if you want Norton can help for that tricky installation... just give Norton a call, better yet Norton can be reached via "Live Chat" right from your computer at no charge. For these reasons and so many more I give Symantec's Norton Internet Security a solid 5 Stars.
Integration into your computer is seamless and updating is automatic, only needing updating if you feel that there may be something new, it's intelligence and the vast community of computer users helping Norton stay current as viruses crop up, is a plus. Symantec's Norton Internet Security can be run on OS XP, Vista, and Windows 7. Mac users you'll find that Symantec hasn't forgotten you as there is a version for your computer, as well.