Profile for jawk1202 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

jawk1202 "jawk1202" RSS Feed (Washington, DC)

Root of All Evil? A Pastor Stephen Grant Novel
Root of All Evil? A Pastor Stephen Grant Novel
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent follow-up novel, January 30, 2013
Remember the old TV commercial where two people would bump into each other and their respective snacks of peanut butter and chocolate would collide? Only to make a treat even more delicious? That's how I feel about Root of All Evil. Keating somehow manages to get theology into my espionage novel, and international spies (and a mercenary or two) into my Christian lit = and it totally works.

I'm not Lutheran, so I can't speak to how well the Lutheran theology is portrayed, but I do know that I appreciate the ecumenical side of the relationships the protagonist has with those outside his specific denomination. I'd love to see more from his sidekicks!

But outside of the faith aspect of the book, this is a cracking good read. Plot moves quickly, there are nice (and accurate) local touches about the D.C. scene and how Capitol Hill works (or doesn't), an excellent lesson on economics (that isn't dull!) and why good intentions aren't necessarily good enough.

Highly recommend this book to anyone interested in spies, politics, modern faith and its application to daily life or just interested in a different kind of mystery story.

(PS - Would also strongly suggest you read Warrior Monk, the first in the series, before purchasing this one. Root of All Evil can stand on its own, but Warrior Monk lays the foundation for everything in it.)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for kids and adults, June 27, 2011
We got these right before the Super Bowl (the Packers won, in case you hadn't heard) because, living on the East Coast, we have several Steelers fans friends from PA that were coming over - and us Wisconsinites needed a way to show our Green and Gold pride.

All the Packers fans loved them, and the kids who belonged to the "neutral" parents were all sporting green and gold before the game even started. The tattoos were super easy to use and - for moms reading this - were super easy to remove.

Definitely give these a shot - it's not going to hurt anything, and it's an easy way to have some simple fun.

Warrior Monk: A Pastor Stephen Grant Novel
Warrior Monk: A Pastor Stephen Grant Novel
by Raymond J. Keating
Price: $13.60
33 used & new from $8.98

4.0 out of 5 stars I'll take my ecumenism with a side of gun play, please, November 22, 2010
What a fun first novel from Ray Keating - I actually found myself slowing down my reading to drag out the story a little more, because I didn't want it to end. (And, yes, it is that fast-paced!)

I love a good spy novel, and this one of a former CIA agent turned pastor also played into my theological interests. The concept is intriguing - debates over the morality of killing, cooperation between Protestant denominations and the Catholic church, the recognition that God directs our paths and can use our maybe not-so-good past for good in the present - all intellectually stimulating, while wrapped up in a fun read.

I hope the author has another Stephen Grant story up his sleeve - or at least in his brain - because I was definitely left wanting more at the end.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2013 5:54 PM PST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag!, December 29, 2007
I bought this bag for my husband and he loves it. There are multiple pockets for him to stick his smaller gadgets in (the ipod, the blackberry, the digital camera, etc) without the fear of them sifting to the bottom of the bag and him not being able to find them. The large compartment is roomy, with plenty of area for his workout gear, or for 2-3 days of clothes if going on a short weekend trip.

The bag's construction seems very sturdy and of a good quality and the shoulder strap is comfortable.

The only minor (and I mean MINOR) complaint is that because of the bag's size, it is difficult to squeeze into the tiny lockers at his gym. But if that's the worst thing he can find to say, you know it's a good bag!

Krups 538-42 ProCafe 2 Time 10-Cup Coffeemaker, Black
Krups 538-42 ProCafe 2 Time 10-Cup Coffeemaker, Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, January 28, 2003
This is one of the easiest coffee makers on the market to use, and it makes a great cup of joe, too. The timer works great, and is something we're certainly thankful for in those early morning hours.
The only thing that threw us off at first is it seems to need more water than what you think - when you pour water in to the "2 cup" line, you really only get one good sized mug out of it. So remember if you want to brew 2 mugs of coffee for morning, to fill the line to the "4 cup" mark. It's not a big deal at all, just something to be aware of.
Happy brewing!