Profile for slider > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 52

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

slider "slider" RSS Feed (NY)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
No Country for Old Men (Vintage International)
No Country for Old Men (Vintage International)
by Cormac McCarthy
Price: $10.54
346 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Tough to Follow, December 10, 2007
I came to this book not knowing anything at all about the story, the writer or the movie for that matter. I hate to say it but I am still somewhat in the dark after tredding my way through 309 pages.

The author's style is not the easiest to get through. He changes from a third person narrative to a first person on a dime. The conversations that take place between characters do not include any inflection, punctuation or quotation marks. This makes it very difficult to follow the storylines as well as who is saying what.

The story is pretty good and that killer is definitely one mean, relentless SOB. The only reason I did nto stop reading was that when the author was writing from the vantage point of the killer it was a MUCH better read and moved much faster.

As for the ending, talk about anti-climactic. No, I will giveaway the ending here but suffice to say I had to go back and read the last several pages 2-3 times to make sure that I actually didn't miss it - it goes by THAT fast and comes in the same manner and broken patter as the rest of the book.

Are all of this guy's books written the same way? If so, I'll pass on them and read those authors who can I feel can write with a more definitive narrative.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2007 4:10 PM PST

Rickles' Book: A Memoir
Rickles' Book: A Memoir
by David Ritz
163 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, Light and Quick, July 5, 2007
I read this book in literally 75 minutes, thanksfully I borrowed it from thje library and did not drop $25.00 for this. It is a a VERY quick read that is even lighter on details. In short (no pun intended), it is a culmination of brief stories from Mr Rickels. Some of the stories you've heard before and some are new. If you are expecting any insight or background on family, friends, business, etc. this book ain't for you. It sounds as if you are sitting at a bar and Rickles is telling you a few stories while you banging down a couple of drinks. I am a HUGE fan of Don Rickles and he always cracks me up when I see him on television but the jokes in this books are just not that funny at all. I guess it is all in the delivery.

If you want to smile a little and can kill and hour or so, pick this one up - but only from the library

Memory Almost Full [Deluxe Limited Edition]
Memory Almost Full [Deluxe Limited Edition]
Offered by newbury_comics
Price: $5.76
82 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh Paul, Paul, Paul. (2 /12 Stars Actually...), June 8, 2007
I am not going to go into a long winded review of this cd since I am sure many, many, many others will choose to do so. I will say that of the 12 or songs on the new album about I actually liked about 25% or so.

As a musician I listen to music a bit differently than the average consumer. I always found McCartney's post-Wings solo stuff to be a bit trite and syrupy fo rmy taste - very pop like and not very thought provoking at all. Much is the same with this album with the exception of 3 or 4 tunes where he actually has something to say.

As for the melodies - again, I find an inconsistency that moves up and down like some sort of rebellious amusement park carousel. At times all seem fine while at other times the ride is quite bumpy and I need to move on.

My main criticism with the entire album is the production value and the musicianship. It is time for Paul to actually go out and hire musicians to play on his studio work and not feel that he should be the one to play all the instruments. The songs suffer when he does this and have suffered on other works when he has tried this in the past. The beat of the song, the tempo[s] of the songs seems a bit forced at times and do not flow as well melodically as if they would if others played. When you play all of the instruments you as a musician have a certain style and that style is present no matter if you play the drums, piano, guitar, etc. That style is what is heard on ALL tracks and it truly does a disservice to the overall qualityof the music.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2007 5:39 PM PDT

Memory Almost Full
Memory Almost Full
Price: $11.88
264 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh Paul, Paul, Paul. (2 /12 Stars Actually...), June 8, 2007
This review is from: Memory Almost Full (Audio CD)

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2007 11:14 AM PDT

Falling Man: A Novel
Falling Man: A Novel
by Don DeLillo
Price: $20.16
329 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Disjointed Writing Style and Very Hard to Follow., May 29, 2007
This review is from: Falling Man: A Novel (Hardcover)
I had my doubts about this book since I did attempt to read a previous novel by the author and could not make it through. But, the reviews were SO compelling and the topic so pulling I just had to take a shot.

Well, again I was disappointed. I just do not like the style that the author uses. He does not have a very flowing style of writing. His narrative is extremely disjointed and he starts and ends subjects/topics without any warning or lead-ins whatsoever. There are parts that flow quite nicely and move along at a pretty nice clip. But then he will jump into a dialogue with characters that we really do not know much about and then move back and forth into dilaogue that he just very, very difficult to follow.

The book is short, 226 pages, I gave up after page 150. I know, I was half way home and should have just shoved my way through but I just stopped caring about these characters around page 90 or thereabouts.

Unfortunately Mr DeLillo is just not my cup of tea when it comes to authors. Hopefully the rest of you will have better luck.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2007 7:21 AM PDT

The Secret
The Secret
by Rhonda Byrne
Price: $13.53
2199 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Less Than One Star, February 26, 2007
This review is from: The Secret (Hardcover)
I read this in 2 days, says alot about the depth of writing in this book. Before ANYONE event THINKS about buying this book I urge them to read the article in the Feb 26, 2007 issue of Newsweek magazine. You will certainly have your eyes opned very wifde after learning exactly how this book came to be and the "magic" that happened after it was named The Secret.

There is absolutely nothing is this book that is new, groundbreaking or a secret fo that matter. This simply is a marketing gimmick to make money for the publisher and the author, an Australian television producer - exactly the person to tell the world how to cope with life's day to day challenges.

People, wake up and grow up. Just my wishing for riches or health does not and will nto make it happen - just as this books says it will. There are literally hundreds of books out there by people who have actual credentials that actually offer real advice, advice that one can use in their day to day lives to make real changes. My advice, IMHO, is to research these authors at your local library, Google, Amazon, etc. and read several of them. Then take this book and use it as a doorstop or use it to help start your next BBQ. Because in all honesty this is about all this book is good for.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2007 11:53 AM PDT

Songs from the Labyrinth
Songs from the Labyrinth
Price: $11.49
105 used & new from $1.10

2.0 out of 5 stars Gotta Wonder Why?, October 20, 2006
I knew this was going to be rough when Sting appeared on Studio 60 in a subtle plug to his new CD. C'mon, whose idea was it to have Sting play the lute on a national tv show? I thought it was a cheap plug in the show, even cheaper for the show then for Sting.

Sting is an excellent musician but he choice of material that he releases needs to be questioned. Obviously he doesn't need the cash so he writes and releases music that he likes and cares about. And you must give a guy big props for doing what he believes in. That being said, he does need to realize that this is a business and the product must sell or he won't have a record company to distribute and market the product he so loves. This ain't that type of product. If this CD sells more than 35,000 copiues it'll be very lucky. If it werent for the pluf on Studio 60 I never would have known he was releasing a new CD.

If this slow, mundane, underproduced type of music is your cup of tea then you will love it. But if you are seeking something with a bit more substance, guts and nuance then I think you should look somewhere else.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2007 5:47 AM PDT

Prodigal Son (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Book 1)
Prodigal Son (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Book 1)
by Dean Koontz
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
372 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars What is the Point?, June 19, 2006
Having never read a Koontz novel before I was looking forward to my first one. So I picked this up. Boy, what a disappointment. For 469 pages all I kept asking myself is what is going on? Why is this happening and what's the point of the entire book? In short, I felt the entire book was a big mess. Koontz co-wrote this book with someone else and it reads like it. It seems that these two guys were locked in separate rooms and wrote two different stories and never bothered to talk to one another while they were writing.

Characters pop up and storylines are laid out that lead to nowhere. One character, who happens to be autistic, can only walk while he completes imaginary crossword puzzles in his mind. Sounds interesting but his story has no plot or ending whatsoever. I have no idea how this characted is connected to the other characters in this book.

For almost the first 50% of this book deals with pieces of what I was hoping would be a much larger, more coherent puzzle. I was waiting for something to happen but it never did. If Frankenstein is still alive than only a few people were murdered and it seems no one actually cared except two cops. Hardly what I would call earth shaking considering who the killer(s) could be.

I think I'll pass on any further Koontz novels for now. I was never a big fiction fan but friends of mine talked me into testing the waters with Koontz, Patterson, Brown, etc. I think I'll go back to by non-fiction books for awhile and save this tripe for the beach.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2009 3:15 AM PDT

Saving Faith
Saving Faith
by David Baldacci
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.20
587 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid read, moves quickly, June 13, 2006
A fast paced read that has some pretty cool turns. At times it can be predicatable and I did question some of the decisions that several of the main characters made; but overall a good summer read.

The characters are written in more fo a two dimensional nature then I would like. I would love to have them flushed out a bit more but given the limited space I can understand his decision to go the route that he did. The ending is a bit disappointing and leaves a few questions dangling up in the air.

A Guy's Guide to Being a Man's Man
A Guy's Guide to Being a Man's Man
by Steven Prigge
59 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad But Very Arrogant at Times, June 12, 2006
Firstly, this is a really quick read. I read the entire book on my lunchbreak. IMHO anytime one can do that there wasn't lots of thought behind the writing and this book holds true to that rule.

I thought the book smacked of a huge ego with a touch of arrogance. Mr. Vincent mentions his most famous line "Go home and get your shinebox" from Goodfellas, at least eight times over the course of a few hundred pages. Do we really need to hear it again and again? I think not.

He also talks down to his audience in such a way that if you are not spending $25 for your Double R Davidoff cigar or dropping $250 on flowers for your date then you are not a "man's man". Not all of us are working actors who earn six figure incomes and can afford such luxuries. Most of us are regular guys making $40-60K per year who are in need of a few tips hear and there.

I know it is a tongue in cheek kinda book but Mr Vincent should come back to reality when it comes to how much you need to spend in order to impress your date. If all it takes is money to impress then most of us are out of luck. And if all she is looking for anyway is a sugar daddy then who really wants to be with her in the first place?

Save your money and wait for the paperback or better yet, get it from the library.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6