Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for maddog > Reviews

Browse

maddog's Profile

Customer Reviews: 106

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

maddog RSS Feed (New Mexico)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Nice Production INP-102-O Book Stand (Bookstand / Bookstands / Holder / Cookbook / Music)
Offered by BestBookStand
Price: $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well for fat software books, January 28, 2016
I am currently doing a lot of transcribing from an 800 page software book onto my PC. The book is over 2" thick. I bought the medium size and it works very well, though, if I had it to do over, I would have gotten the large. Nevertheless, the shelf is deep enough and the spring fingers control this stiff, fat book very well. They are easy to position. It's a huge improvement to my workflow.

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
DVD
Price: $12.99

2.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the most stupid movies I've watched in a long time, November 17, 2015
This is one of the most stupid movies I've watched in a long time. I lost a lot of respect for Brannagh after seeing this. Obvious, formulaic, predictable <yawn> ... excuse me

Ernest W. Watson's Course in pencil sketching: Four books in one
Ernest W. Watson's Course in pencil sketching: Four books in one
by Ernest William Watson
22 used & new from $8.54

3.0 out of 5 stars Very poor reproductions. Buy the individual volumes., December 10, 2014
I am a Watson groupie. I own all his books on pencil drawing and would rate this book 6 stars were it not for the poor printing. The sketches here are reproduced in very dark tones with very little grey scale. Essentially black and white giving little sense of his wonderful broadstroke pencil technique. Not only does it make it very hard to imitate his technique but in some cases, comments he makes in the text about a drawing make no sense until you see them in a decent reproduction. This is a reprint of 4 slim, hardcover books that were available individually. They can still be found on amazon and places like abebooks for reasonable prices. Not only do the individual books do justice to the sketches but they include material that was omitted when they were combined into a single volume.

The first 3 books are on Buildings, Trees & Boats. The 4th book is on perspective and essentially the same material has been reprinted under other titles such as Creative Perspective. For this book, which is primarily about lines rather than tones, the quality of reproduction is not crucial.

If you are beyond beginner level and interested in learning pencil sketching from a great master and talented instructor I urge you to buy the books individualy.

Uni Hi-Uni Wooden Pencil Art Set - 10B to 10H - Box of 22 (HUAS)
Uni Hi-Uni Wooden Pencil Art Set - 10B to 10H - Box of 22 (HUAS)
Offered by Classic sweet
Price: $26.99
248 used & new from $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. A joy to use., August 28, 2014
I've just started using these pencils. I find them similar to Tombow Monos and Caran d'Ache Grafwood. They run from 10H - 10B. The hardness steps are small and they run pretty soft. I draw with a broad stroke technique and I use the odd numbered grades. Mono H is about the same as Lumograph HB (two steps). 7H about the same as Lumograph 4H and 10B close to the Cretacolor 9B (Lumograph 9B is not real graphite).

These are wonderful pencils with a very soft smooth feel even in the hard grades. The hardness is marked on every face, which is a real help since I use several grades together for drawing. I would rank them with Tombow, perhaps nicer.

My one complaint is that individual grades are only available in packs of 12.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2015 1:10 PM PDT

CREATIVE ART MATERIALS Grafwood 6 Piece Metal Box Set (775.306)
CREATIVE ART MATERIALS Grafwood 6 Piece Metal Box Set (775.306)
Offered by GEM Products
Price: $21.23
7 used & new from $21.23

5.0 out of 5 stars I've just started using these pencils and I'm astonished at ..., August 23, 2014
I've just started using these pencils and I'm astonished at their quality. I draw using a broadstroke pencil and I have tried about every major brand. These lay down a smoother tone and glide more freely than any other brand including Lumograph, Tombow & Mitsubishi Uni. Laying down a 1/4" stripe of tone with the HB is a sensual experience. They run a bit soft, perhaps one grade softer than the Lumograph, comparable to Tombow and Grafwood.

When I've had more experience with these I will update my review

5.11 Tactical Select Carry Pistol Pouch, True Navy, One Size 58604-726
5.11 Tactical Select Carry Pistol Pouch, True Navy, One Size 58604-726
Offered by Outdoor Sports Stores
Price: $39.94
2 used & new from $39.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but some drawbacks, August 12, 2014
This is the best compact CCW pouch I have found. The materials are sturdy, the zippers heavy duty and the waistbelt is nice and wide. It adjusts to fit easily. It easily holds my 3" SP101. The rip tabs are fantastic. Grab the right tab with my left hand, yank hard and the gun is exposed for easy draw with the right. It appears to be completely ambidextrous.

Cons. There's room for little else. There's only one large compartment. It won't hold a wallet or a cell phone. The two little ;pockets on each side are too small for even a driver's license or CC. Even keys with a fob would be a tight fit. This can be solved by adding pouches to the waist band but that's not ideal. I don't want to advertise the fact that I don't have room for these items in the fanny pack because it's filled up with gun. For internal retention, there's only two elastic straps. Might be enough for a semi but they arent suitable for a revolver so my gun has to sit in there loose. It definitely needs a more versatile retention system. Even a couple of strips of velcro would be a big improvement.

The Watson Drawing Book (Dover Art Instruction)
The Watson Drawing Book (Dover Art Instruction)
by Ernest William Watson
24 used & new from $2.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Very valuable but not a "How to" book., July 11, 2014
Watson was a first rate artist and an instructor at Pratt for many years. Among other things he was a master of pencil work. Just about anything he draws is worth looking at and anything he says about drawing is worth reading carefully. That said, this is not a "how to book" for beginners. Another reviewer complained that the title is misleading and I think it legitimate gripe. Were this not Watson, I would deduct a star or two. In this volume Watson discusses what is sketching and drawing. What is one after? What makes it work? How much detail is necessary? The effects of different kinds of lines etc... He discusses over a hundred different drawings, from a variety of artists, including some of his own, and also reviews the various drawing media, pencil, charcoal, brush, pen, etc. If you've been drawing for a while and are ready to think about the process at a somewhat higher level you will find this book very valuable.

Pencil Drawing (Artist's Library series #03)
Pencil Drawing (Artist's Library series #03)
by Gene Franks
Price: $8.65
227 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Promises more than it delivers, June 9, 2014
Let me say first of all that I don't care for Franks' drawings. They are trite, lifeless and unimaginative. He seems to have no sense of composition, dynamism or tension. Well that's all a matter of taste and your mileage may vary. However, I wish I had his technique in rendering surfaces and texture and I bought the book because it seemed to offer clear instruction on that aspect of drawing. But when I sat down to actually follow the the "step by step" projects, I found too much information missing. There are big jumps between the steps and a lot of technique that I cannot begin to imitate. Project 1 is to draw a walnut which has quite a complex surface and a lot of tricky detailed shading. Nor is the drawing that attractive, the view that he chose for this particular object gives a graceless ungainly form. Then project 2 is to draw an egg, a very simple surface and a classical beginner's exercise. Why was this not the first project? Again his final drawing, for all the meticulous work, is not that convincing. Later projects are indeed better done but the first couple of lessons are crucial to developing a student's confidence and interest and these seem to be poorly chosen and organized. I can't help feeling that this book is just a careless rehash of some other book he published or perhaps notes from a class he gave.

General Hydroponics  Rapid Rooter Replacement Plugs 50 count
General Hydroponics Rapid Rooter Replacement Plugs 50 count
Price: $15.70
40 used & new from $12.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for cloning and germinating MJ., May 31, 2014
I've had very good success with these plugs both germinating and cloning my MJ plants. Nothing else has worked nearly as well for me. The spongy material holds humidity very well and seems kind to roots. I don't use the Rapid Rooter setup, just the plugs. I stick them in a bed of perlite at least 4" deep with about 1" of water visible at the bottom and cover with a humidity shield. This keeps the plugs at the right humidity. The holes are a bit wide for my clones so I tear off a small piece and plug the gap. For germination, I cut them in half and use the bottom half only. I poke a hole with a skewer and then cut a deep X across the top face of the plug so that the seedling can push the material away as it surfaces. Again, I set the plugs in a bed of perlite. Also,for germination I boil the plugs to sterilize and then innoculate them with biota and a trace of molasses (to feed the biota). I water the seedlings with distilled water until they are potted.

(6) Superoots Air-Pot 1 Gal Equivalent Garden Propagation Pot Planter Containers
Offered by The Hydroponic City Los Angeles
Price: $53.73
8 used & new from $45.75

5.0 out of 5 stars great product great service., April 6, 2014
I've used airpots for some years now and I really like them. They eliminated problems I was having with sodden roots. They take some getting used to. It helps to mix up a batch of soil to a muddy consistency and pack the insides of the dimples with wet mud before filling the pot. I also like to put a patch of root barrier mesh across the bottom to stop soil being washed out and keep the roots in.

Rogue Hydro are very easy to deal with. They shipped fast and my stuff came in a few days.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11