Profile for Gusto > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Gusto RSS Feed

Junius and Albert's Adventures in the Confederacy: A Civil War Odyssey
Junius and Albert's Adventures in the Confederacy: A Civil War Odyssey
by Peter Carlson
Price: $19.52
105 used & new from $0.72

5.0 out of 5 stars entertaining read, September 8, 2013
What rakes journalists were in the 19th century! Actually, today's war correspondents might be the same sort of hard-drinking, story-telling adventurers who get stuck in horrifying situations. Carlson tells the amazing story of Junius and Albert with heart and good humor. As soon as I finished my copy I lent it to a journalist friend who is also loving it.

Beast and Other Stories
Beast and Other Stories
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars good, new short story collection with eerie twists, September 8, 2013
There is momentum to this beautifully written collection, taking place in various East Coast locales and rural Spain. Beast, the suspenseful opening story, features a cast of characters on a collision course driving home late on Thanksgiving night. Rosales has an uncanny ability to get inside people's heads, from an undocumented immigrant to a troubled schoolchild to a woman engaged in a mysterious lunchtime affair. By turns eerie, disturbing and humorous, these 10 short stories are deceptively easy to read on a Kindle and yet each one resonates before you move on to the next. Well worth $2.99.

In the Kitchen with A Good Appetite: 150 Recipes and Stories About the Food You Love
by Melissa Clark
Price: $27.50
82 used & new from $1.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever roasted pork, October 12, 2010
For years I've made Melissa Clark's recipes published in the New York Times and they always work. The problem is I often rip out the article and then lose it so it's really nice to have them collected in a cookbook that won't be so easy for me to misplace. The other night I made her oven roasted pork butt with rosemary, garlic and black pepper and my dinner guests swore it was the best pork they ever had. I've also gotten great responses from her chorizo corn dog bites and raw Tuscan kale salad with pecorino. Even something I thought I knew how to make -- deviled egg salad -- is so much more flavorful following her method. I also like her direct, humorous voice in the essays that introduce each recipe. This is a great cookbook for people who really cook, no outlandish ingredients required.