Profile for Patrick Robertson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Patrick Robertson RSS Feed (Seattle, WA United States)

Page: 1 | 2
3DS XL Retro NES Edition System
3DS XL Retro NES Edition System
Offered by X-Button Games
Price: $204.99
63 used & new from $169.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Missed opportunity., January 14, 2015
This system is really ugly. Why is the box better looking than the system itself? Typical NOA!

Kaboom [Blu-ray]
Kaboom [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Haley Bennett
Offered by DaaVeeDee
Price: $38.68
4 used & new from $32.97

1.0 out of 5 stars I love the film, but if you are wanting to watch the English version you will have a problem., January 2, 2014
This review is from: Kaboom [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Unfortunately like all of Gregg Araki's other films Kaboom hasn't been made available for sale in North America on Blu-ray leaving fans like me coughing up extra money for imports. I figured that since this disc is compatible with my blu-ray player that I'd be more than happy to pay a little extra. I mean, hey, you even get a sexy white case which is pretty uncommon.

This French release doesn't allow you to change audio or subtitle tracks on the fly. If you'd like to enjoy this film as it was originally presented you'll be sad to know that the French subtitles are forced when playing the English audio track. Even if you were living in France you would not be able to appreciate this movie in it's original language without subtitles polluting this visually beautiful film.

I thought the dark ages of DVD were over, but it's stuff like this that makes me regret trying to legally purchase the things that I like. I guess what this ultimately comes down to is I wish that there was a way for me to support Gregg's films in the United States without always being forced into the standard definition ghetto. I have a feeling the age of physical media will be dead and gone before I get what I want.

If you happen to be a French fan of queer cinema that has no problem with watching dubbed over foreign films then this is absolutely the release for you, but I somehow doubt you exist.

From what I have read online it seems the German release of this film is the way to go as it does not force subtitles and is region free.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2014 11:34 AM PDT

The Art of Speed Racer: With the Complete Screenplay Included
The Art of Speed Racer: With the Complete Screenplay Included
by Larry Wachowski

2.0 out of 5 stars Several pages of....not art, August 15, 2013
If this book is anything to go by then the production materials for Speed Racer must have been so incredibly amazing that they spontaneously combusted when the film reached completion. This book is about 20% production art with the rest being the script. Don't buy this for art.

F-Zero GX
F-Zero GX
Offered by Support for Missions
Price: $101.90
39 used & new from $28.61

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best video game ever made, August 15, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: F-Zero GX (Video Game)
I've carefully examined each and every video game made by the human beings that inhabit Planet Earth and I have discovered that the results are clear. F-Zero GX is not only the best racing game you'll ever play, but the best game ever created. This game is so relentless in it's perfection that even Nintendo will not again dare to attempt the greatness that they've achieved with this particular entry in the series. I do not sit around all day sulking in despair that another F-Zero game isn't getting made. We've already got pure perfection on a tiny Gamecube disc. Once you feel the rush of adrenaline pumping through your veins as you fly across the finish line just as your ship begins to break up into charred pieces you'll know that nothing else matters.

The Passion of Gengoroh Tagame: Master of Gay Erotic Manga
The Passion of Gengoroh Tagame: Master of Gay Erotic Manga
by Gengorou Tagame
13 used & new from $253.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Well this is certainly something!, July 22, 2013
I couldn't honestly pass this one up seeing it displayed proudly at the local book store. I've seen some of his work online before, but there is something to be said about reading it on the printed page and enjoying the flow of the stories.

Some of this stuff is really dark, but the fun comes from discovering how you can enjoy something kind of sick. The lighter stories were also nice if not filled with a lot of slut shaming. If you don't have hang-ups about that then you'll definitely enjoy this book. I'm not really into BDSM, but I think any gay guy could appreciate a good power struggle. The little snippets from the author at the end of each story help to remind you how much thought was put into these short stories and are a nice touch.

I hope more of this type of stuff gets released. It's fun to experience some explicitly sexual manga aimed at gay men after seeing what the straight boys have been getting for years. Enjoy!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 25, 2013 6:06 PM PDT

The Coffin: 10th Anniversary Edition
The Coffin: 10th Anniversary Edition
by Phil Hester

3.0 out of 5 stars Great art, okay story., October 17, 2011
Read though this in one sitting and I have to say I enjoyed it, but I felt that I didn't completely buy the characters and their motivations. Beautiful art for the most part. I'd love to see more of this world that feels barely touched on in these few pages.

Ghost in the Shell 2.0 [Blu-ray]
Ghost in the Shell 2.0 [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Atsuko Tanaka
Price: $11.45
41 used & new from $5.14

3.0 out of 5 stars A few problems here..., October 25, 2009
I'm going to break this review down into two parts.

The movie itself:
This is Ghost In The Shell in HD. It's beautiful, but for a smoother translation into the look of Innocence the greenish colors of the original film have been touched up and made to be more of an amber color like that seen in second film. This isn't really a change that I mind, and it's pulled off fairly well. I assume that several scenes were cleaned up digitally because the line art looks amazingly clean.

Sadly, someone felt it would be appropriate to replace some of the most iconic and stunning animation from the original with CG. A few scenes are done well like those where the CG is only helicopters or buildings, but whenever it replaces characters with crappy looking CG models it becomes stunningly bad. If you watch the making of the original movie you can see that their limited use of computer assisted animation was carefully planned and fit in with the other artwork and improved the film. The CG in 2.0 sticks out like a sore thumb in most cases. The only CG part that I liked was the pan over the cityscape at the end of the film.

If you have a bluray player and haven't seen GitS yet 2.0 isn't a bad way to see it, but fans of the original will probably be disappointed with the lack of any significant changes and the quality of what was changed.

The bluray by Manga:

Somehow Manga Entertainment never ceases to screw something pretty major up on their releases. The box lists a commentary with Oshii, an interview with Oshii and a making of GitS 2.0. None of these features are present on the bluray. You get throw away character profiles, glossary, and the old english trailer. The original making of GitS is here in VHS quality along with the unlisted bonus feature of the original cut of the movie. When I heard that I was pretty excited because in all honesty it's the only version I truly care about, but it looks to be taken from non-HD masters and only includes 2.0 audio tracks. If memory serves me correctly I believe that my GitS DVD looks better upscaled than this version does.

It would have been nice to do a re-dub of the film with the SAC cast, but I guess most of them were in the original anyway and it's a nice dub in it's own right.

This whole release just makes me want the original film untouched in HD. I can't give this less than three stars if only because seeing this movie this way is better than not seeing it at all because it's a one of my favorite films ever, but be aware of the problems with this release before deciding to buy it.
Comment Comments (18) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 24, 2013 2:34 AM PDT

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion
DVD ~ Megumi Ogata
14 used & new from $63.31

2.0 out of 5 stars A review of the DVD, not the film itself, June 2, 2009
I threw in this DVD tonight because I'm about to show it to a friend and I wanted to see how it would look on my new tv. Wow...a truly horrible release from Manga Entertainment.

If you own a widescreen TV and plan on watching this with subtitles good luck because when you zoom the image the subtitles are cut off due to this not being an anamorphic release.

If you plan on watching this dubbed be prepared for some pain even if you've been watching the dub of the TV show. Important actors are gone, technical terms are mispronounced, and lame sound effects are added because the ADR director thought it would be a good idea. It's unwatchable if you are at all accustomed to the TV dub.

For the apparently legendary amount of money Manga paid for the domestic rights to this they sure managed to make it one of the most sloppy DVD releases in their catalog. I can't imagine the rights lapsing even though this DVD is out of print so you may want to find another way to see this film.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2010 3:47 PM PDT

Jem - The Complete 1st & 2nd Seasons
Jem - The Complete 1st & 2nd Seasons
DVD ~ Samantha Newark
9 used & new from $33.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest 80s Cartoon! Jem rocks!!, February 25, 2004
Even today this cartoon is still wonderful. It has lovable characters, fantastic music, great life lessons, amazing animation, and FUN!!! I simply can't put into words how much I love this great show. Buy it on dvd so the rest of the seasons will be released. Help make Jem a hit!

Bjork - Vessel
Bjork - Vessel
DVD ~ Bjork
11 used & new from $5.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, July 7, 2003
This review is from: Bjork - Vessel (DVD)
First off, Debut is my least favorite of Bjork's albums. When I saw this at the store I couldnt help but buying it though (its bjork, it cant be bad!) So I started it up expecting it to be a little better than the live on MTV Unplugged DVD. Well, I was very suprised!! I believe this is my second favorite Bjork concert DVD next to RoH. Bjork is so awesome :)

Page: 1 | 2