Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Chad Valley All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Halloween
Profile for Peter Schorn > Reviews

Peter Schorn's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Peter Schorn RSS Feed

ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem (Certified Refurbished)
ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem (Certified Refurbished)
Offered by TECHarvard
Price: $79.95
4 used & new from $79.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed After Only Two Weeks!, September 14, 2015
Wanting to get from under the $10/mo ripoff that is Comcast's modem rental racket, I leaped at the chance to score one of these modems for $50. The predominant negative in reviews was people with some difficulty registering them to their ISP's network, but I had little trouble with that. After running it for five days, I returned Comcast's equipment.

Where the trouble began was after 14 days, coming home and noticing my phone was connected to my router, but without Internet connectivity. Checked my setup and noticed the modem only had a power LED on. After power-cycling the modem, it came back online. However, the next night I came home, found it in the same state and this time it refused to do anything. Disconnected all the power, network and coax lines and let it sit; tried directly connecting to the modem from my PC, bypassing the router and attempting to connect to the menu; all failed.

Called Arris support and the friendly (but utterly useless) bloke who answered the phone merely asked for the serial number and if I'd tried plugging the AC adapter into a different outlet before advising me to contact Amazon for a replacement. (Only a refund was available.) No explanation as to why this wouldn't be covered under warranty or anything. Since Internet connectivity is only behind having electricity in my hierarchy of needs, I had to scramble to Target to buy a new version of the same modem. Hopefully, that will work more than two weeks.

In 16 years with Comcast, I had four modems, but two after the initial one were upgrades for service changes; only one actually died and it was after years, not weeks. I'm not sure what went into certifying this "certified refurbished" modem unless they are only certifying that it was refurbished (i.e. cleaned up and tossed in a box) and not necessarily that it would work.

Mind Games Pro
Mind Games Pro
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars READ THE DARN DESCRIPTION, PEOPLE! IT'S NOT A VIRUS!, January 6, 2014
This review is from: Mind Games Pro (App)
The reviews here are generally pathetic because instead of reviewing the app, it's a free-for-all of tinfoil-hatted paranoics freaking out about permissions and in a constant state of hysteria that Martians are spying on them. (I know Martians and they aren't interested in you. Sorry.)

Now everyone is spamming one-star reviews because Avast is flagging it as malware when the 2nd paragraph of the description clearly states this is a known false positive. They warn you up front that Avast is wrong and recommend that you check the app with another scanner to verify and the Chicken Littles are still spreading their baseless paranoid fear. KNOCK IT OFF!

1.0 out of 5 stars Too large! Not a direct replacement for RBC4!, December 30, 2012
Back in Sept. 2012, my APC Back-UPS ES 750 started beeping constantly indicating the battery was dead and needed replacing. (I care more about surge protection/power conditioning, but there was no silencing the beep and I had to remove the UPS from my setup, using power strips to hook my stuff up.) I ordered this battery and, because I was busy, let it sit in the box for a couple of months. In the interim, the other reviews here warning of size issues posted, but I didn't see them.*

Well, they weren't kidding. Pulling the OEM battery out was hard enough since it's a heavy block of lead in a cavity with only the least bit of room for the leads to attach to the contacts. But as I pushed the replacement in, I rapidly realized that this was too large and would likely be impossible to remove. Even though I stopped only halfway, I had to use a screwdriver to pry it out.

Since I needed to get my UPS back in place, I ultimately used a utility knife to shave off the six 1/16" splines that were inside the UPS's cavity and after intensive test-fitting, finally put it in, fairly certain I'll be able to get it out if need be. (Hopefully.) I had to wipe silicone lube on the battery side and the inside of the cover because the paper label made it too large. Unreal.

I didn't notice any corrosion on the contacts as another review mentioned and it appeared to be a clean, new battery - not a recharged used one - but it's been less than a day and obviously too soon to tell how long it will last. Unless you're willing to hack up your UPS to save a few bucks, I can't recommend purchasing this battery.
* I once had a PC power supply fail after a little more than a year and referring back to its page at NewEgg, I saw that about that time came a slew of negative reviews from others whose PSU had also failed after a similar interval. That's the problem with reviews; things sometimes work fine and then die long after the review was posted. At least I could tell this battery was too large immediately and thus warn others.

Ten Simple F*cking Rules for Writing a Great F*cking Screenplay
Ten Simple F*cking Rules for Writing a Great F*cking Screenplay
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars A Effing Waste of Your Effing Time and Effing Money., April 8, 2012
This "book" is little more than a failed attempt at "edgy humor" masquerading as an irreverent guide to aspiring screenwriters. Tossing the F-bomb around as if he was being paid per use, the author tries to come off as a smart ass but only manages the second half of that phrase. It's not that I'm adverse to blue language - I personally swear so much I sound like Samuel L. Jackson with Tourette's after hitting his thumb with a hammer - but if you strip away the 1250 or so (guesstimated) F-bombs then the "advice" from this "book" would fit on an index card.

Sure, the tips are practical, but they're nothing that anyone with a clue needs to be reminded of. In fact, here's everything this book will tell you (minus the F-bombs): Have a good idea; outline your story before you write it; have interesting characters; focus on the protagonist; make the first 10 pages extra good; give it a three-act structure; don't over-describe scenes or have too much dialog so there's a lot of white on the page; give it a cool title; don't run over 110 pages; format it to industry standard specs. That's it. Read this paragraph and insert an F-bomb or three every 3-4 words and you've recreated the experience of this "book."

I'm a notoriously slow reader and I was able to polish off this glorified blog post in less than 45 minutes while eating breakfast at a diner. If I'd paid the $2.99 asking price and not wasted my month's free Kindle Library loan, I'd really be down on this unhelpful book.

If you're looking for an actually irreverent guide to screenwriting by actual working and money-making writers, check out "Writing Movies for Fun and Profit: How We Made a Billion Dollars at the Box Office and You Can, Too!" by Robert Ben Garant and Thomas Lennon. While not a substitute for books like Save The Cat or Syd Field's tomes, it gives some helpful advice and a tasteful amount of swearing.

(NOTE: My original review was rejected because of the title, which had even more of the book's profane title starred out. Go figure. Only the merchandise gets to swear.)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2012 4:07 PM PDT

Red Wrecker
Red Wrecker
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet little puzzler, March 13, 2012
This review is from: Red Wrecker (App)
Deceptively simple, but occasionally brain-teasing batch of physics and timing puzzles that may have you scratching your head a bit before you have the "A-ha!" epiphany. One of the better free A'zon apps I've gotten. Now if only I could figure out the one I'm currently stuck on...

MiniSuit PU Leather journal book folio stand case cover for Amazon Kindle Fire Tablet (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Let your friends think you paid way too much with this awesome bargain!, January 10, 2012
MiniSuit Amazon Kindle Fire Tablet Polyurethane Leather Case Cover Composite Journal Book Folio Stand (Black)

Accessories are always a ripoff. Simple things that you know only cost a few dimes to make are sold at markups a loan shark wouldn't dream of charging. When looking for a case to protect my Kindle Fire, everything seemed to be $30-$40 and hardly seemed worth it; clumsy and thick, adding bulk to the Fire and thinning out my wallet.

When I saw this MiniSuit case mentioned on an Android Central forum, I wasn't expecting much for the price. I figured it'd be cheap-feeling, poorly-fitting, and not really much more than basic protection for my Fire in my work bag.

I was pleasantly surprised that it had such a realistic patina I almost thought it was leather. It's well-stitched, with a notch to fold the cover back to place it into typing or video watching position. The hidden magnet holds the cover closed and it feels solid in the hand without adding unwanted bulk like a Brookstone case I tried did. And rather than just letting it slide into its pocket, a flap wraps around and secures it in place with Velcro. Very snazzy.

While it doesn't come with a set of steak knives, the money you save over the overpriced competition will leave you with more than enough in your pocket to buy some and some meat to cut with them!