Profile for S. George > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. George RSS Feed (Seattle, WA)

Page: 1 | 2
Mojave Desert Sanctuary (Smoke Tree Mystery Series Book 3)
Mojave Desert Sanctuary (Smoke Tree Mystery Series Book 3)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the book cover to cover, April 24, 2015
Loved the book cover to cover. A really exciting read with great character development and a compelling plot; I couldn't put it down. Highly recommended.

Birdy Bird
Birdy Bird
by Ginny Boyd
Price: $4.99
4 used & new from $2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful story!, March 18, 2015
This review is from: Birdy Bird (Paperback)
Our daughter loves birds and really loved this book! Highly recommended.

The House of Three Murders (Smoke Tree Mystery Series Book 1)
The House of Three Murders (Smoke Tree Mystery Series Book 1)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, July 24, 2013
A wonderfully captivating story that kept me wondering what would happen next and never disappointed. It's a fascinating glimpse into a sleepy desert town through the lens of a pivotal and haunting event - and the lives that are pulled into orbit around it.

The book has many unexpected and interesting sub-plots woven through it and it was a joy to read as it was difficult to tell which way it would turn next. The author built a great tension between the subplots that made it an enjoyable and effortless read.

I found my thoughts going back to the book during the day when I wasn't reading it - the mark to me of a great novel.

5 stars.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally., March 20, 2013
I had been looking for a long time for the perfect wall decal for our entryway. I needed something that spoke to me emotionally, as a parent, but was also beautiful and large enough for the space above our hutch. When I saw this I knew it would be the perfect fit! Amazon always comes through. As our children grow up, it will be so lovely to have the constant reminder of those simpler times when they were young. You know, those moments when you're just trying to get something done, and the crying kid is throwing a class 5 tantrum while hanging on your legs. Those are the memories that I don't want to forget as my kids get older and more independent. Since receiving it, it has just made our family so happy and is certainly a conversation starter. The colors really compliment the room as well! The faded/dirty denim blue is a nice contrast to the mahogany hutch and the red face of the crying child is a nice accent. I'm actually considering getting a smaller version for our bedroom, above the headboard of our bed!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2013 8:42 AM PDT

Maternal Desire: On Children, Love, and the Inner Life
Maternal Desire: On Children, Love, and the Inner Life
by Daphne De Marneffe
Price: $15.35
86 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I just wish more mothers knew about this book, January 3, 2012
I very rarely write book reviews but am compelled to review this book. I almost don't have words to describe what comfort this book is to me. It is so intelligently researched, so thoughtfully written. It's like having a conversation with a brilliant friend about what it means to become a mother; in every way that motherhood changes you. I highly recommend this book to all mothers.

Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929 55-Inch 1080p 3D Local-Dimming LED HDTV with Built-In Wi-Fi (Black) (2011 Model)

5.0 out of 5 stars Picture is unreal - better than the Panasonic TC-P55VT30, August 17, 2011
After a bunch of research I bought the Panasonic TC-P55VT30 because I heard it had the best picture quality of any 2011 set [...]. I had it for a week, but even though I spent time calibrating it with the calibration DVD from avsforum [...] the colors and brightness just didn't look good. I would either end up with too much contrast and not enough color or the colors oversaturated. I tried every single mode on the Panasonic including custom, but I just wasn't happy with it. My wife, who isn't really interested in all of this, commented that the picture looked worse than the TV it replaced.

I replaced the Panasonic with this TV (Sony Bravia XBR-55HX929) and right out of the box with no picture adjustment I was absolutely blown away - my wife noticed the difference immediately. Blacks were dark if not darker than the Panasonic - like looking into a reflective pool of black ink. The colors were perfect and very lifelike, not oversaturated but not washed out - just spot on. I watched a few blue-ray's with mixes of darks and colors as well as fast motion and the set just rocked. No judder at all, just very smooth and an amazing picture. The set itself is gorgeous - a little smaller looking than the Panasonic (~2 inches wide) but really don't care.

Now - the reviews are true, if you look at this set from off angle (~45 degrees) the picture doesn't look as good - the colors get a little less pop and you can definitely see some blooming (bleeding of brights into dark areas), but looking at it from straight on or up to ~30 degrees I could't detect any imperfections in the picture. I rarely look at the TV from off angle, and the picture is seriously worth it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2015 7:41 PM PST

Hugo Naturals Chamomile & Vanilla Shampoo & Baby Wash,  8 oz
Hugo Naturals Chamomile & Vanilla Shampoo & Baby Wash, 8 oz
Offered by Good Earth Beauty
Price: $12.65
6 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE, January 28, 2011
I love the smell of this baby wash! We've been using California Baby and other natural washes for years (two kids) and this is my new favorite. It lathers nicely, keeps skin soft and most importantly SMELLS like a baby! I love it!

e.p.t. Pregnancy Test, Certainty, 3-Count Tests
e.p.t. Pregnancy Test, Certainty, 3-Count Tests
Offered by Pharmapacks
Price: $17.94
3 used & new from $15.46

1.0 out of 5 stars another FALSE POSITIVE, December 2, 2008
I took 2 of these tests and BOTH said pregnant. I took the typical 2 line tests and both were negative. I also got a blood test which was also negative.

Do not use this test. False positives are too stressful to deal with!

Panasonic HDC-SD9 AVCHD 3CCD Flash Memory High Definition Camcorder with 10x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom
Offered by PlasmaBuddy
Price: $659.00
7 used & new from $95.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty disappointing camcorder, March 8, 2008
After reading the other 3 reviews, I was pretty excited to get this camcorder. I was super excited when I opened the box and saw the size of this camcorder - it's definitely a very nice small size and handles well (although the joystick is hard to use)

After I charged the battery and started shooting a few sample videos - that's when the disappoinment started. I have a 47" Visio LCD HDTV, and if I play the video directly from the camcorder to to the HDTV it looks pretty good - so long as you're not shooting after the sun goes down. The problem is that's not how you watch videos you record with this camcorder (unless you plan on buying a new SDHC for every hour of video you shoot) - you need to encode the videos.

This camcorder comes with a trial version of Pinnacle Studio 11. I encoded the videos I shot (which come off the SDHC cards as *.MTS files) using Studio 11 using a variety of formats - and they all look grainy when played back directly on my 24" 1980x1024 LCD monitor or streamed to my HDTV. In fact, even using the 'HD Writer' software that comes with the camcorder (which can play the *.MTS files directly) the video looks grainy with lots of artifacts. I can't tell if this is AVCHD or this camcorder, but I don't really care - it doesn't look good.

I also downloaded trial versions of Nero 8 and Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Edition hoping to compare their outputs with Studio 11, but sadly both of them could not import the *.MTS files that this camcorder produces - so good thing Studio 11 could.

I should point out that I even bought the Extreme III SDHC SD card that has a 20MB write speed so I could shoot video at the highest quality setting (this camcorder can encode at 17MB). Sadly, this made little difference - even shooting video outside.

The video appeared more grainy and choppy than I would expect from an HD camcorder. I upgraded from a two year old DVD camcorder - and sadly the video from this camcorder looks only ~20% better when played back on my quad-proc computer with a 1900x1080 monitor - or on my HDTV.

All in all, a big disappointment. The camera looks very cool and small - but first and foremost I want to be able to record great looking HD video - and this little camcorder doesn't do the job. I'm going to send it back and wait for the Canon VIXIA HF10, which releases in April and has a bigger chip (1/3 CMOS as opposed to the 3 1/6 chips in this unit).

If all you're going to do with the video you shoot is encode standard definition DVDs you're probably fine. But if you want to encode Blu-Ray or stream high definition video to your HDTV, I'd pass.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2008 9:57 AM PDT

Sony DAV-FX500 XM-Ready Five-Disc DVD Dream System (5.1 Channel) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disks change too slow, audio is not customizable, not enough inputs, January 14, 2007
I bought this system largely because of the reviews on Amazon. I was initially quite impressed with the system, but the devil is in the details with this one.

Setup was quick and easy, and the provided audio mic is easy to use to setup the speakers. The sound is also really good. My problems started when I began using the 5 disk DVD change. It takes a solid 30 seconds to change from one DVD to the next. Seriously. Think about that before you buy this system. Count out loud to 30 seconds and imagine waiting for that each time you want to switch DVDs. What makes this worse is that you have no visual clues about what DVD is in each slot, so there are times when I have to cycle through all 5 to find a DVD.

The next problem I have with this system is not being able to customize the audio in any meaningful way. One major pain in the butt is bass level. The system says it has a 'bass on / bass off' setting, but this does absolutely nothing. Worse, different DVDs have different bass levels and with DVDs that are really bass heavy, I literally have to unplug the subwoofer. Might not seem like a big deal given the price, but trust me, it will get to you.

Last, the lack of inputs on the back is a big deal. At first, I was thinking 'two component in's will be enough' but over time I've accumulated more equipment than that and now I'm stuck. Also, the HDMI output, which was a big selling feature to me, only works for the DVD player and not the component connections. That means that if you have an external DVR and you want to plug it in via component, but then have it output through the HDMI out to your TV, you can't.

I'm really sorry I bought this, and I'm even more sorry that I can no longer return this, since it's been over 90 days. From now on, I think I'll buy audio equipment at Costco, since you can always return it if you're not happy with it. I wish Amazon had this policy.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2007 4:31 PM PDT