Profile for Reviews on Amazon > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 124

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Reviews on Amazon RSS Feed (US)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Burn the Dead
Burn the Dead
Price: $3.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put this down - it changed my mind about books from the zombie genre!, July 9, 2014
This review is from: Burn the Dead (Kindle Edition)
I generally do not read or like Zombie books - I like thrillers, mysteries, biographies, books on health and fitness; but Zombie books are not really up there in my favorites! However when you originally come from a small town in South West Wales as I do; and now live thousands of miles away in the US - you always feel that little tie to home and when one of its residents writes a book, you read it! Especially when that author is a friend of your brother who asks if you will read the book (and yes, I did pay for it so this review is not based on anything other than my humble opinion!)

Being honest, with a night stand and Kindle full of books I am dying to read, I was not particularly excited to read a book of this genre but I perused over the snippet that Amazon shows you and I was intrigued! I liked the style of writing and it felt a little more Shaun of the Dead than gore and guts! So I went ahead and purchased....that purchase was one I regret; instead I could not get enough of the story and gobbled it up within a matter of days!

Set in the city of Bristol; Rob burns the dead for a living - only these dead are somewhat different! Think Shaun of the Dead when the dead suddenly spring back to life in a ravenous zombie like state, these dead have been hit by a virus - Necro-Morbus - and these "Necs" with lifeless eyes but mobile bodies, are ready to chomp on the living so continuing the lifecycle of this virus! Burning them is the only way to fully kill them and Rob has the 'pleasure' of this job!

Rob however cannot resist a peek at these bodies before he burns them and when one turns out (**Spoiler alert**) to be his wife, his life takes a dramatic change and he sets out to find his missing son and finds himself in the middle of a Nec filled world!! There begins a gripping story of survival and determination with twists and turns galore!

This book was unexpected, thrilling until the end and I really liked the writing style. Steven writes as though you are talking to one of your mates at the pub - its conversational; it draws you in to the story and keeps you wanting to learn more! I wanted to keep going, chapter by chapter, to find out what happened next!

I enjoyed this book, and in both supporting home grown talent and enjoying the work, I look forward to more books by this author!

Clean Eating: If You Thought You Knew What Clean Eating Was....Wait Until You Read This Book (The Art of Eating Clean - How to Totally Transform Your Diet ... Health, Wellness, and Vibrant Energy)
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new and not really a guide to clean eating!, July 5, 2014
Okay - I get the fact that authors put a lot of work into a book and while it is nice to make it free for readers, there has to be a means of generating revenue or more web traffic....but why do all these books have to begin with a pitch that suggests you can get "free" e books if you go to a certain website and upload your information? Why not wait, go right into the content knowing that those readers who loved the book can seek out further information at the end if they so choose? Maybe it's just a peeve of mine, but I really do not want to go to any website if I have yet to learn what the author can tell me!

This book is a short guide to "clean" foods but frankly read as though the authors had read various articles / books on the subject matter and rehashed it all for the purpose of this book! There is some good advice however most of the advice is long held basic information: eat breakfast, workout, do not go grocery shopping on an empty stomach...nothing new at all!!

But there lies my biggest problem - there is barely any guide whatsoever to "clean: eating. It begins with what to stock your pantry with: puffed rice (processed ); dried fruit (not a bad choice, but certainly not a clean eat as it is processed, has chemicals to preserve and is very high in sugar), Worcestershire???? Why this? A highly processed, high salt condiment that is not high on a list of pantry must haves for most people as is the case with Hoisin Sauce (referred to as 'Hosing' sauce in the book) which is a pungent sauce typically used in Chinese cooking that is typically very sweet and salty...and can sit on the shelf for a while making it processed! The bullet point on spices omits the great must have items such as Turmeric, Cayenne, Cumin or Ginger which are known to have great properties such as being anti-inflammatory and instead includes the pedestrian salt and pepper as well as bouillon which is a highly processed, highly salted item that has no place in a 'clean diet" and molasses!!!! Flour, baking powder, canned foods are also all on this list? Sure, some canned foods such as beans can have a great spot in a good diet but the book does not elaborate; it simply says canned foods - which could honestly include anything!

There are just three recipes at the end including one for curry in which the only spice is paprika which actually would not render it a curry at all as this is a Hungarian spice, and curries typically contain the great spices of Cumin, turmeric, garam masala etc. Not one of the recipes includes green leafy vegetables, key spices, bell peppers, fresh garlic, much of any fresh veggies in fact ...but do include bread, and Swiss cheese?

Very bizarre book with a very odd opinion on what a clean diet actually is; which would probably go against the grain of what any nutritionist would say. To me a clean diet is fresh veggies, fruit, nuts, lean cuts of meat or fish (for those that are not vegetarian).Certainly not processed condiments that can sit on a shelf for years. Though the book does allude to fruits and veggies, is does not elaborate on any of the acutal healthy foods at all!

GREEN SMOOTHIE CLEANSE: 10 DAYS TO A NEW YOU (LOSE 10-15 LBS)
GREEN SMOOTHIE CLEANSE: 10 DAYS TO A NEW YOU (LOSE 10-15 LBS)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best written, most common sense appraoches to healthy eating I have come across!, June 28, 2014
I am a fan of seeking out ways to be healthier in life though it has always been a typical way of living for me! I However, one can always learn more and the Green Smoothie trend is one that I am particularly interested in as it is a way of getting a lot of nutritional punch in a convenient, on the go form!

In reading various books on the topic, I have been turned off by links that take you to websites, excessive self promotion , poor editing or just a quick guide that contains nothing new! This book however breaks that mold!

Not only is this a great guide to Green Smoothies; but it is a well written approach to common sense healthy eating! In short there is NO magic fix. The way to look good, stay healthy, be fit and maintain a healthy weight is a healthful lifestyle with a good diet, good sleep and plenty of exercise! A quick fix is a recipe for failure!

This book begins by answering various questions from what are green smoothies and how do they work - to a history and the benefits of this drink! There is also a great breakdown of herbs that may be used and their properties .

Also nice in this book - a guide to the best way to prepare these smoothies from equipment, to right liquids amounts and types and what types of ingredients, sweeteners etc to include.

The book then examines the link between these smoothies and weight loss . Now personally I find 10-15 lbs in 10 days to be a little aggressive for the average person that has a few pounds to lose. This amount is more typical of the obese who will drop weight aggressively in the early days of a diet as their body changes and drops water; but this book has a really common sense approach to weight loss. It cover the importance of nutrition, not starving yourself, healthy snacks - so in essence is so much more than a book on smoothies. Heck it even looks at the exercise diet link in a very balanced and well written way!

This book differs from its competitors by also looking at key smoothie ingredients: Kale, Chlorella, Spirulina, Matcha and so on, examining their nutritional properties and why they should be considered in your smoothies

Then after reiterating best practices for making your smoothie, there follows recipes and detailed instructions for all kinds of green smoothies using a variety of ingredients from fruit and veggies, to seeds and spices!! They are truly excellent!

If you are looking for a quick guide packaged with pictures then this is not for you...but if you are looking for a great, no nonsense approach to healthy eating and green smoothies, then this is honestly the best I have come across so far!

Strathwood Basics Anti-Gravity Adjustable Recliner Chair, Dark Brown with Champagne Frame
Price: $67.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfy - but not the most practical as they cannot stay outside in the rain!, June 28, 2014
I have purchased Anti-Gravity chairs in the past, and the great price plus neutral but not too light color, had me buying these from Amazon! They shipped quickly, look very nice, work well and are extremely comfortable.

Admittedly I had read reviews about them rusting in the rain, but for the price and the aesthetics, decided to go ahead and purchase anyway! Then we accidentally left them out in one rain...and yes, as others have said, we found ourselves shaking out rusty color water. Thankfully they were on the grass, so no rust stains on the patio.

From this point on we have kept them in the garage, and only get them out when we want to use them! They really are great, and they also will lock in whatever recline you want to set them in which is a nice little feature! They are comfortable and generally appear well made!

My reason for a lesser number of stars, is that it would be far more convenient if I had some chairs that I could leave out year round, without having to constantly store in my garage; or worry about a random summer shower! But for the price, they are still a pretty good deal and one of the better looking Anti Gravity chairs I have come across!

HIIT: Sprint Interval Workout: Fastest Way To Burn Fat And Lose Weight!
HIIT: Sprint Interval Workout: Fastest Way To Burn Fat And Lose Weight!
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars More a guide than workout, but well written and compels me to learn more!, June 22, 2014
I have a habit of buying before I read the blurb so I think I bought this thinking it would be page after page of workout tips - however this was so much more; so well written and informative it compels me to learn more about this form of workout!
I had long heard and read snippets about High Intensity Interval Training and have incorporated my version of it into my workouts - peppering my circuit training with quick sprints on the treadmill. But honestly I did not know a lot about these workouts and this book was an excellent guide!!
Now I will admit it began with my personal pet peeve...and this is a 'me' thing so you might not mind; but it was a link to a website and a "free gift" should you give up your email address. I know these books are low cost and it is advantageous for the author or other relevant parties to take the reader to a website ; but I wish they would wait until the end so I can figure out if I love the content enough to learn more (though I will admit I liked the blog it took me to).
Then the book proceeds on to the topic of HIIT. It was very well written, defining the topic: The history and why behind HIIT workouts; who should do it, benefits (which was extremely well researched and informative). It then goes on to compare old school cardio with HIIT - looking at calorie burn, who it is for and conversely not for, duration and frequency, injuries, fat loss, muscle building, cardio improvements, skeletal muscle and metabolic adaption's and which is best, old or new?
It then goes into a basic plan (note the plan and warm up, cool down are written with no pictures, I was fine with this but if you are new and need pictures for technique, they are not in this book); then afterwards and the effects.
I really enjoyed this and will seek to learn more. It gave me the whys behind this exercise and now I will begin really incorporating it into my exercise routine.

Green Smoothie Recipes: A Collection Of Green Smoothie Recipes That Are Not Only Good For The Body But Taste Delicious As Well. (Quick & Easy Recipes)
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay for price, but it opens and closes with a pitch!, June 22, 2014
I am really into a healthy lifestyle and enjoy reading books about various pathways to health, the Green Smoothie craze, being one such path!
I have read various books on the topic and enjoy learning new recipes! So when I saw this book which was available for free, I decided to give it a try! Now I do want to thank the author for making it free or low cost, as I know a lot of work goes into creating such publications.
My frustration began however at the very beginning with a pitch to go to the authors web page / Facebook page to get 'free reports on health' which of course requires you to give up your email address. I think it would be much better to go straight into the book so those who love it can then choose to seek out further work from the author if they so choose. And yes, that information is repeated again at the end anyway. I get that some readers might miss this so they premise was to get the information out there early and possibly one of the intents of this book was to drive more people to the website; but to me it smacks on walking onto a car lot and having the sales person pounce on you right away with a pitch...I am in sales myself and dislike this tactic. It turned me off from the beginning!
Then there was a lack of basic editing as we being with the basics, followed by...the basics! It was repeated ; but fairly it was fine after that!
The book is jam packed with recipes and I loved the photography; it was bright, vibrant and yes...green!! The sheer volume of ideas is well worth the price. Note however that for every single recipe the directions are the EXACT same "Place all the ingredients in a blender, blend until mixture is smooth" . When making green smoothies, there is a tactic that prevents it being to grainy; and there is another book here on Amazon (that I reviewed, I have no connection to the author) : The 10 Day Smoothie Cleanse by Jennifer Yates-Benning; that has great tips on fruit to greens ratio and order of preparing to avoid the odd texture that can sometimes occur where greens are involved .

Also worth noting, there are a lot of smoothies here that are not green, just a basic smoothie, like Banana Hemp Smoothie, or the mango dill. If you are looking for creative smoothie ideas, then this book fits the bill., but if you are looking with something heavy in kale, arugula, chard, parsley plus fruit, this is not it, though many recipes feature some of the above!
In short, packed with recipes for the price, but no information as such on the value of green smoothies and what they body might expect...and two pitches for a website!

Hoover TwinTank Steam Mop, WH20200
Hoover TwinTank Steam Mop, WH20200
Price: $80.73
125 used & new from $54.88

5.0 out of 5 stars No more Shark for me!! Cleans well and saves money on replacement pads!, June 22, 2014
We have gone through two of the Shark Steam mops and while they were okay, I found two problems - one they did not last that long before their steam function diminished (and we always used distilled water so we did not clog up the filters) but second, the thing that was the absolute biggest pain for me was the pads. As these were slip on and held together with Velcro; the Velcro only lasted so long plus the pads (yes the branded one) shrunk in the wash! What this meant was every other month or so we would have to purchase new pads as the ones we had would not stay on and fell off multiple times each mopping session which made mopping a marathon session and not at all effective!
We switched to this earlier this year and in order to give an honest review, wanted to use this for some time prior to reviewing! So several months in -the verdict is - I am impressed!
To date, the mop head, which is not a slip on, it attaches to the bottom of the mop head, is still working and functional - it does not fall off at all, so I can mop quickly and effectively! The machine heats up quickly and stays hot, leaving my floors clean with no additional chemicals!
The floor gets wet but no soaking, and it dries in no time (in contrast my Shark barely left any trace of water so not sure if the steam was actually getting out). I mainly use on ceramic tile but I have wood floors and sometimes, after our cats leave muddy footprints, we have used this and it leaves the floor clean and streak free (though it can be a bit dull which is why we shine with Bona). I have tried it once on the carpet, it was okay, but honestly, we have such little carpet and rarely feel the need to use a ht mop on it anyways! I would rather get it professionally cleaned now and then!
The mop head is a great size for corners, especially in bathrooms where dust bunnies collect, and in the kitchen under the area where the cabinets have a lip. So I can quickly and easily clean!
So far, so good and I would not go back to Shark!

Conair Instant Heat Travel Hairsetter
Conair Instant Heat Travel Hairsetter
Price: $19.99
66 used & new from $19.51

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not heat so well and rather large for travel!, June 16, 2014
I had been looking for heated rollers for some time and decided to go with these based on reviews and also the fact that I begin each morning at the gym so figured as these were "Travel" they could go with me so I could alternate from my usual straightened hair look!

Then they arrived and first thing...they are travel mainly due to dual voltage not size! So great if you travel outside the US and need this function - but not great if like me you travel in the US for business / or need to take to the gym as this set is by no means compact! Yes, there are ladies who bring a roller suitcase to my gym rather than a gym bag but as I have no plans to join their ranks anytime soon so this large, bulky set is not great for those who need a compact set for on the go.

Second, they barely heat up and certainly not in the advertised "2 quick minutes". After 10 minutes they were a medium / luke warm and got no warmer so I gave them a bash! Now the size is actually pretty good and even though I have quite long hair, the number of rollers was suffice for what I needed which was root volume not a head full of tight curls (which this set will not do). I let them cool and actually got a soft wave and nice volume....for all of about 30 minutes!! Maybe not even that! They were simply not warm enough to be effective.

I sent them back (Thanks Amazon for a great retune policy) and replaced with a more traditional set which I do like : Conair Compact Hairsetter, Blue which are about the same set in terms of the set...but more rollers that do warm up!

Conair Compact Hairsetter, Blue
Conair Compact Hairsetter, Blue
Price: $19.99
29 used & new from $17.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great rollers, good mix of sizes, heat up well and do the job!, June 15, 2014
I had been searching for rollers for some time - I have that hair that can be best described as "in between", it is neither straight nor curly so each day requires I do something to make it work and that something is typically straightening! The problem here is though I can get it straight - it lacks volume and the curl fights back throughout the day!

I decided to add some shape and originally purchased the Conair Instant Heat Travel Hairsetter here on Amazon, but they barely heat up, were way too big for travel and size rollers really did nothing for me. Based on the reviews I went with these.

I began with my daughter...the one that has been "blessed" with my hair. I let them heat up about 20 minutes (though they felt warm enough after about 5 or so) and put them in her hair. Honestly working with the old school pins is a tad easier when you are doing someone else's hair! I left them about 20 minutes and though her hair is very long, we used about 3/4 of the set. 20 minutes later she had a mix of curls and ringlets and even being outdoors in a 98 degree medium humidity day the curls eventually settled into soft and pretty waves which lasted all day!

The I had a bash...now I will admit those pins, though they work well and really hold the roller in place, are tricky to apply to yourself, but once I got the hang of it I had a head full of rollers and 20 minutes later the kind of volume only my hairdresser can get (I can never replicate it). We went out and spent a great day of time outdoors with a light wind and humidity and though my curls fell, the soft wave and volume remained (the smaller rollers had I used them would have given a tighter curl)

So far I love these and for the price, you cannot go wrong!

3 Days to a Healthier, Stronger You: A Guide to Cleansing
3 Days to a Healthier, Stronger You: A Guide to Cleansing
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A guide to cleanses...and guide to the Kaeng Raeng Cleanse in particular, June 8, 2014
This was a good book but first I will being by clarifying the book in more detail than either the title or description of the book on the Amazon page.

Yes, this is a guide (and a good guide) to the cleanse process! There are some useful tips about cleansing, how to prepare, what to expect, what to do before and after which is very useful, especially if this is the first time for you. HOWEVER, as the title hides this fact - this is a guide to using the Kaeng Raeng Cleanse - which requires you to buy their smoothies!! The description does mention this is from the folks that bring you Kaeng Raeng but does not expressly that this is a guide to that particular cleanse

Now honestly for 99c, it's not a bad deal as there are some useful tips and more than 50% of the book is a great and comprehensive guide to cleansing; there are also some additional recipies which are very appealing...but as I was considering buying their products, I would imagine a lot of this information is included when you buy that cleanse?

In short, some good tips to a cleanse; but do not this is specific to this companies line of products and contains no info on how to make your own cleansing juices

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13