Profile for Reviews on Amazon > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 130

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Reviews on Amazon RSS Feed (US)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Mad Libs on the Road
Mad Libs on the Road
by Roger Price
Price: $2.56
236 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, educational and a compact way to ensure hours of fun when travelling while unplugging for a while!, July 30, 2014
This review is from: Mad Libs on the Road (Paperback)
We just returned from a long trip that involved 9 hours on 2 planes each way - and we loaded up on kids entertainment from books and movies on their Kindle, coloring books, puzzle books and this - Mad Libs on the Road! In retrospect I wish I had ditched the puzzle / coloring books and added less movies to the Kindle as Mad Libs was the biggest hit, in the most compact form with an educational component to boot. It also would have made back packs lighter!

It's simple, fun and the kids were deep in thought as their tried to come up with various nouns, pronouns, adjunctive words and so on; in order to compete each passage! I loved the fact that this was educational and particularly so for my soon to be First Grader who has not really covered these concepts yet! The whole family got involved and there was often a fit of giggles as the story was read!

Its true Old School; gets the kids unplugged from technology for a while and is clearly much loved. As we were at the rather basic airport on the way home another child came up to ask asking if we had purchased it there so he could buy one ...it's great to see kids ask for something other than an iPad . It's also really small and lightweight so you could really load up on these!

I intend on purchasing more from the series! My kids asked to play this over and over again; as anything electronic was overlooked! And that for me is priceless!

O'Neill Wetsuits Women's Basic Skins Short Sleeve Rash Tee
O'Neill Wetsuits Women's Basic Skins Short Sleeve Rash Tee
Price: $16.80 - $27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product for a great price; with effective sun protection!, July 28, 2014
Purchased this for a recent trip to Hawaii in which we had decided to take a snorkel cruise resulting in several hours of snorkeling under intense sun with a UV index of 8/9.

I am quite pale, get only the hint of a tan and burn at the drop of a hat. This however, was the perfect solution. We snorkeled for close to three hours and though it was early morning, the sun was still intense. I was well protected and did not burn in the slightest.

This was comfortable and fit well. For reference, as I always look for this when I am purchasing clothes from a brand in which sizing is unfamiliar to me, I am 5 ft 4 and 121 lbs. I wear a size small / 4 and this fit perfectly. It was a tad boxy in the frame but this of course becomes snug when wet and allows you to wear a variety of swim wear underneath. The arms are the tightest thing about it so if you do not like any constriction in the arm / back maybe go up one size though for me, that feeling dissipated once this was wet!

The only criticism I could find was this did not dry quite as quickly as I had hoped. But this was only a minor matter! It was a great deal for the price, comfortable and effective thanks to the UV 50 + protection!

Natrol Biotin 10,000 mcg Maximum Strength Tablets, 100-Count
Natrol Biotin 10,000 mcg Maximum Strength Tablets, 100-Count
Offered by OTCRX4U
Price: $7.21
77 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works...with a little bit of patience you will see results on hair and nails!, July 16, 2014
I bought this hoping more than anything it would lead to better condition for both my hair and nails with potentially faster growth. I eat a well balanced diet but as a vegetarian, sometimes those B vitamins are lacking in my diet!

Biotin is Vitamin B7 which is needed for cell growth and in all honesty it may not work for all, as it has only really been shown to have effect in those truly few individuals who have a biotin deficiency but heck, as I needed help with my hair and nails I decided to give it a whirl, especially as adverse events have been shown to be few and far between!

My nails have had a beating, mainly due to Shellac, a history (several years ago , of acrylics) polish, chlorine from swimming, leaving them soft and prone to breaking! I began taking biotin this past January to six months later is enough time to give a fair review and I am happy! Finally, and bear in mind it has taken the full six months in which I have still indulged in Shellac, I am seeing nails that are stronger and growing past my fingertips! I am not sure if this is down to the Biotin but as I have taken it religiously every day and it's taken several years to see this better condition, I can only assume it has made a difference.

My hair is similarly dry (chlorine again from swimming, blow drying, straightening, coloring) and honestly I was hoping for better condition though growth is the main side effect from Biotin; and grow it has! March saw my last hair cut and now July (yes, I need to go more frequently) my nose length layer is touching my shoulder and dare I say my hair looks a tad more healthy despite a constant daily battering from the above !

You will need to be patient, wait a while ; but six months down the road and I am seeing effects, enough for me to keep taking biotin (plus this price for this dose is rather excellent!)

Plant-Powered for Life: FREE Sneak Preview
Plant-Powered for Life: FREE Sneak Preview

5.0 out of 5 stars Preview is enough to make me purchase the complete book! Great ideas that can be tailored to all!, July 16, 2014
This is an excellent book on plant based eating and stands out from similar works as it is informative, works for all and is not in the slightest bit preachy. I also like the fact that the author made this sneak preview available so folks can get a feel for the book before committing to a complete purchase!

To being with , this author is a registered dietician! This does make a difference. Unlike the plethora of 'health books' written by people with little to no expertise on the issue, this author is qualified in the subject matter yet still writes a likeable, easy to understand book that all can follow!

This was a rather generous snippet with 6 chapters that were augmented by excellent, well written and easy to follow recipes. These recipes were complete with step by step guides for preparation and complete nutritional information which is often lacking in cook books! These include: Arugula Salad Pizza. French Lentil Salad with Cherry Tomatoes, Tortilla Soup, Curried Tofu Papaya Wraps...and there is even a section on the benefits of chocolate for those like myself that choose to indulge in this tasty treat!

The book begins with an introduction exploring a plant base diet and why, there is serious need for it in today's calorie laden diets.. The entire book will encompass 53 steps that folks can take, in a step by step steady manner, to improve their diet with little steps being easier than a complete overnight overall!

What I found particularly impressive was this book takes into account folks preferences and allows the reader to customize their own plan be it plant powered vegan, vegetarian or omnivore. Often plant based diets allow no room for meat at all, and though that works for me as a vegetarian, it does not work for all . This book however offers something for everyone with useful guides and some mouthwatering alternatives!
I will buy this full guide as the recipes are a little different from others that I have seen and the advice is common sense and most importantly attainable! I will update the review upon completion of the full book!

Raw Food Recipes: Surprisingly Delicious Raw Food Recipes That Keep You Healthy And Strong. (Quick & Easy Recipes)
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars 20 recipes with some great choices. Could do with more instructions instead of links to a website!, July 13, 2014
This is another short little guide as opposed to an actual book, but does pack in a bunch of recipes in less than 40 pages which is more than good for free!

But once again this is just another book that opens and closes with a pitch - a link to a website that will give you 'free' bonuses in exchange for your email! If I have yet to even read the book,; like the book or learn the authors perspective enough to seek out more, then, no I am not interested in giving away my email! At the very least wait until the end of the book to see if I was engaged enough to want to learn more!!

To be honest I have no idea about the authors background - is she is chef, a blogger, a nutritionist? I have no idea but further links showed me she published a lot of cooking books, but with regard to raw cooking, I would rather learn more from someone that specializes in this area. For example: The book begins (after a 2 page pitch with multiple links to click on) with a very brief introduction to the basics of raw foods, it tells me "you will feel a world of difference"...great, what does that mean? Will I feel good, hungry, amazing? Who knows; but to be fair this does not tout itself as a guide, just recipes which it largely does! It also states one of the tools you will need is a blender; but lo and behold one of the recipes calls for a dehydrator which is common in the raw food world; but those not in the know have no guide in preparation other than simply "dehydrate at 120"! So beginners -steer clear as this will not help you!

To be fair the recipes were great, now no idea where they came from as some - for example the cocoa avocado pudding - come verbatim from other sites on the web - but some are new to me and quite intriguing! This book manages to pack a punch with 20 recipes from salads, soups to meals and smoothies and for this I give it three starts.

However further instructions are needed: the No Cook Pad Thai states "place ingredients in a bowl ,toss and mix thoroughly" and there folks are your instructions. One of the ingredients is almond butter which would not distribute thoroughly if mixed this way, but if you mixed it with the honey, soy sauce, orange juice, garlic, miso and spices it would create a dressing that could be poured over the veggies creating a consistent and tasty dish! Without this you would be left with a potential mouthful of almond butter with cayenne pieces attached!
That said, the sheer volume of recipes, many of which are unique and tasty warrants three stars, maybe more for those that can tolerate the sales pitch!

What Would Keith Richards Do?: Daily Affirmations from a Rock and Roll Survivor
What Would Keith Richards Do?: Daily Affirmations from a Rock and Roll Survivor
by Keith Richards
Price: $12.47
101 used & new from $0.71

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Daily Affirmation" book from a Rock God! This set of 'affirmations" I can handle, July 12, 2014
The company I work for is all about self help books and daily affirmations! I get inspirational books mailed to me before every meeting (which I do not read) and at every training class, folks are buried in some random book, other making notes or underlining chapters in order to "better themselves"!! Personally , though I like fitness, and health books, daily motivational books are not my thing - I would rather live life than read about how to 'maybe' live it better !

But then there is this - daily affirmations from Keith Richards!! Talk about a man who has lived -and continues to live life to the fullest! He is a Rock God!! My parents listened to the Stones, I listen to the Stones, my kids listen to the Stones! They have been more successful, over more time that any band I can think of so clearly something is going right!

This book is funny! Just a random collection of words from good old Keith himself! Just six short chapters, a timeline of Keith , and it closes with a recipe for Shepherd's Pie -apparently his favorite! It's not all new, much of it has been written somewhere else, if you have read Life you might know much of this....but here is it , concise, and all in one spot! The commandments of Keith, what would he do, fashion and style., his wit and wisdom! Yes, this will do - I would much rather read this wisdom than a "closing a sale" guide! You can pick it up quickly and easily, read once or again and again - it works!

Something for the night stand, the plane, the bus or the sales meeting in place of a self help book! Yes, this will do just the trick!

HIIT: Shed and Shred Your Body With the Proven Secrets to Losing Weight and Gaining Muscle (HIIT Handbook Book 1)
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, well written, thorough - will refer to again and again!, July 12, 2014
I love books on fitness and health and the Kindle store of low priced or free books is often a good way to read more about different aspects of exercise and fitness; but more often than not those "books" turn out to be a handful of pages with someone rehashing fitness advice one can read about in any old magazine!

This was not the case with this book! I would happily pay good money for this - it's a keeper and one that I will refer to again and again!
I am a fitness fanatic and typically work out 5/6 days a week mixing cardio, weights, yoga and swimming but I have read about the advantages of HIIT and started incorporating this into my workouts for about the last month with terrific results. I have dropped a little weight though that was not my ultimate goal and am more toned than ever - but this book takes it to the next level so I can really max out my workouts.

This is a comprehensive guide: What is HIIT, how it began, what exercises are good for HIIT, truth and lies and so much more! It looks at your metabolism - foods and beverages that will speed up the metabolism - a real, common sense approach that is anti fad, anti 'miracle' pill ! But where it really helps is looking at various forms of common and popular workouts such as Crossfit, P90X, Zumba , Insanity and evaluating them with what you will get out of such workouts.

This book explores total overall fitness: eating, drinking, habits, exercise, stress, relaxation ; all of which go hand in hand with a good healthy lifestyle. Most books do not cover all these aspects, but being honest health and 360 is best met by a 360 approach which this book has!

It then has HIIT for beginners, Intermediate and Advanced - something for every level. In the early pages there are diagrams of good, basic exercises that are part of HIIT, and at the end a suggested calendar based on examples of people with various fitness levels.

I am going to keep them ,refer to it, use it and will actively seek out more work from this author!

The Healing Power of Herbal Health Foods, Herbs & Healthy Plants: Turning Your Food and Herbs into Natural Healing Medicine
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference to herbal foods with a herb by herb guide, July 12, 2014
This is a short but comprehensive guide to herbal foods and how they may play a role in preventing or alleviating certain health conditions. In just 35 pages, the author manages to get a lot in - including the history and the benefits of adding certain herbs and plants to your diet, a plant by plant guide and answers to common questions.

I have always been a fan of herbs and spices and believe many of them can have preventative qualities; turmeric , garlic and cinnamon have a daily place in my diet as I strongly believe in their anti inflammatory properties however ,much of my knowledge sits at the usual - sage, parsley, mint, spices- this book however went so much further than that and went into detail about many other plants. It also explains ways to procure them beyond having them grow in your garden.

I liked the history behind herbs in the diet - this was a great back grounder and healing yourself with herbal foods was also interesting.
My reason for taking away star was due to a couple of questionable statements in the book - notably though the book includes a disclaimer that medical advice should be taken prior to using herbs to cure, it states there are "no cons" to using such herbs and risks typically come from herbal formulas not being evaluated by the FDA. However some herbs, including ones featured in this book, are contraindicated in certain individuals such as St. John's Wort which can reduce the effectiveness or indeed cannot be taken with certain medications and has been shown to increase manic episodes in those with bipolar depression. It would have been nice to have a list of cautions as well as positives to balance the book out as not everyone is knowledgeable enough to seek out medical advice. Though to be fair the Q&A section does encourage individuals to seek out their own research!

However , this guide itself was well written, gives you various reasons to consider adding herbs into your diet and has a rather comprehensive guide to all kinds of plants , many of which I did not know about! It does caution about using herbs in addition to other forms of health care and adds that herbs can compliment modern medicine which is an excellent common sense approach! It also had some great tips for adding herbs in an easy way to your daily diet! Great guide and well worth exploring!

Make Your Own Essential Oils from Raw Plants: Using Oils & Herbs for Optimum Health
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written thorough guide to making and using Essential Oils!, July 10, 2014
I am a big fan of using Essential Oils but with a garden full of beautiful herbs and plants such as Lavender, Rosemary, Sage and Patchouli I have often wondered if making my own oils was within reach!

This book answered this and so much more! Often the books you find free or low cost of the Kindle are short, very basic and sometimes poorly written -this was not the case here! This was an exceptional piece of writing and the author clearly knows, loves and enjoys sharing the subject matter!

This book is a very comprehensive guide to essential oils and though I own several books on this topic, this had far more useful information that I had not seen covered in other publications. It begins with a detailed description of Essential Oils -their history, use from Antiseptics to other ailments and conditions, how to administer (this was particularly thorough as oils can be problematic is not used carefully) and ends with how to prepare a medicine chest with essential oils, preparation of salves and syrups, and using oils for beauty or teas. This is all in addition to the subject matter of making your own oils!

The book also helped me in understanding how I could make my own -from how to gather and preserve plants one would use in making these oils, to the equipment needed (along with useful links and tips to find further information) and a guide to several methods to making your own essential oils - again with links to video tutorials. It has a simply step by step guide for even novices like myself. I also particularly liked the guide to plants and which parts are used in essential oil making as well as how they can be used to treat various ailments!

Well written comprehensive guide that is so much more than the title suggests!

Burn the Dead
Burn the Dead
Price: $3.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put this down - it changed my mind about books from the zombie genre!, July 9, 2014
This review is from: Burn the Dead (Kindle Edition)
I generally do not read or like Zombie books - I like thrillers, mysteries, biographies, books on health and fitness; but Zombie books are not really up there in my favorites! However when you originally come from a small town in South West Wales as I do; and now live thousands of miles away in the US - you always feel that little tie to home and when one of its residents writes a book, you read it! Especially when that author is a friend of your brother who asks if you will read the book (and yes, I did pay for it so this review is not based on anything other than my humble opinion!)

Being honest, with a night stand and Kindle full of books I am dying to read, I was not particularly excited to read a book of this genre but I perused over the snippet that Amazon shows you and I was intrigued! I liked the style of writing and it felt a little more Shaun of the Dead than gore and guts! So I went ahead and purchased....that purchase was one I regret; instead I could not get enough of the story and gobbled it up within a matter of days!

Set in the city of Bristol; Rob burns the dead for a living - only these dead are somewhat different! Think Shaun of the Dead when the dead suddenly spring back to life in a ravenous zombie like state, these dead have been hit by a virus - Necro-Morbus - and these "Necs" with lifeless eyes but mobile bodies, are ready to chomp on the living so continuing the lifecycle of this virus! Burning them is the only way to fully kill them and Rob has the 'pleasure' of this job!

Rob however cannot resist a peek at these bodies before he burns them and when one turns out (**Spoiler alert**) to be his wife, his life takes a dramatic change and he sets out to find his missing son and finds himself in the middle of a Nec filled world!! There begins a gripping story of survival and determination with twists and turns galore!

This book was unexpected, thrilling until the end and I really liked the writing style. Steven writes as though you are talking to one of your mates at the pub - its conversational; it draws you in to the story and keeps you wanting to learn more! I wanted to keep going, chapter by chapter, to find out what happened next!

I enjoyed this book, and in both supporting home grown talent and enjoying the work, I look forward to more books by this author!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13