Profile for Thomas R. Hurley > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 34

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Thomas R. Hurley RSS Feed (Ahwahnee, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
1951 Ad Ford Victoria Belle Boulevard Convertible Sedan Luxury Lounge Travel Car - Original Print Ad

5.0 out of 5 stars Ford's own Ford, March 30, 2014
A friend/neighbor, who is a total car nut, found this car in Hemmings Motor News and got in touch with its owner. The car was a beauty, and one of the favorites of its owner who had owned it since it was new. But, the owner said, "I gotta get rid of some of my cars; they're crowding me out of my space." My friend negotiated a price and asked to whom he should write the check. "What do you mean, who? You didn't catch my name?" said the car's owner. "It's Henry Ford the Fourth," he said.

Holy cow. You don't get the chance to own one of Ford's Fords too often!

Wüsthof 2-Stage Knife Sharpener
Wüsthof 2-Stage Knife Sharpener

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use; indispensable, March 30, 2014
I have used this tool almost daily for a couple of years now, and it's still going strong. Well made, and a must for keeping your most important cooking tools in good shape. Remember: Sharp knives cut food; dull knives cut users.

Large Stone Mortar and Pestle, Nicely Finished 7 inch diameter
Large Stone Mortar and Pestle, Nicely Finished 7 inch diameter
Offered by The House of Rice Store
Price: $36.95
2 used & new from $36.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Up to the task, March 30, 2014
If you're serious about grinding stuff, don't try it with a smaller, lighter mortar and pestle. This beauty has the necessary mass to stay put when you're really getting into the task. It is nicely made and very attractive as an item of kitchen decor. Buy it—you won't regret it.

3M E-A-R Classic Earplugs 310-1060, Uncorded in Pillow Pack
3M E-A-R Classic Earplugs 310-1060, Uncorded in Pillow Pack
Price: $6.90
26 used & new from $0.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats the competition, March 30, 2014
This is the brand I always return to after trying others. The plugs are made of a firm material that is easier for me to roll up and insert than the softer brands. I even re-use them for a long time by simply tossing them into the washer inside a shirt pocket. They come out clean and ready for using again and again. I'm not cheap, just frugal.

Kwikset 335 Round Bed/Bath Pocket Door Lock in Satin Nickel
Kwikset 335 Round Bed/Bath Pocket Door Lock in Satin Nickel
Price: $13.49
24 used & new from $13.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice pull/latch combo, November 20, 2013
Previously I had installed pulls in pocket doors, and then installed latches separately. I didn't know you could have a pull and latch in one piece. Simple, easy to install, and it works!

LENOX 21011TC138 Tubing Cutters - 1/8-Inch to 1-3/8-Inch
LENOX 21011TC138 Tubing Cutters - 1/8-Inch to 1-3/8-Inch
Offered by HomePlumbing
Price: $31.76
27 used & new from $24.76

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but…, November 20, 2013
It didn't open far enough to cut a piece of 1-1/4" PVC. Maybe my pipe had swollen since it was underwater?

Pass & Seymour SWP262WBPCC10 Screw Less Wall Plate Plastic Sub Plate Two Gang, White
Price: $5.98
7 used & new from $5.89

5.0 out of 5 stars No Screws!, October 19, 2013
I am building a house, and have dozens of wall plates around the electrical outlets and switches. The electrician had a habit of making all the slotted screws that hold the plates on line up vertically. It's annoying, and to make some of them vertical he has to give the screw another twist which makes the wall plates depressed in those areas. They look awful. So I threw them all out and replaced them with these gorgeous plates. There is another brand of screwless wall plates (Leviton, I think), but they're square-edged and glossy. Terrible-looking in my opinion.

Try a couple of these and you'll go for doing the entire house with them. Be prepared to open your wallet. Become an evangelist for gorgeous electrical wall plates and make the known world a more beautiful place for all. I suppose you could recycle your wallplates-held-on-with-screws, but maybe you could send them to another country or something, like below the equator where people won't see them.

Plews 75-030 Auto Shut Off 2 Quart Capacity Plastic Battery Filler
Plews 75-030 Auto Shut Off 2 Quart Capacity Plastic Battery Filler
Price: $14.06
21 used & new from $9.25

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked twice, then quit and spilled, December 24, 2011
I managed to fill two cells, but on the third it didn't shut off, so I ruined a shirt and pair of pants and had a mess to clean up. I am sending it back for replacement and hope the next one works. How can they screw up so simple a product?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2014 6:15 PM PDT

The Everything Guide to Comedy Writing: From stand-up to sketch - all you need to succeed in the world of comedy (Everything®)
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly terrific, November 20, 2011
I haven't yet finished this little gem, but I just can't wait to recommend it to anyone who is even remotely looking to get into comedy writing or performing.

How can you make someone proficient in being funny? Well, first you have to have the right mindset, meaning you have to be a little crazy in how you view things that happen around you. I have always been that way, and this book gets down to the nitty-gritty on how you can polish your viewpoint to make it shine for others. Really practical advice in abundance, and interviews with very successful comedians and writers make the book surprisingly useful. When I finish it, I am going to go right back to the beginning and re-read it.

It's the only book I have read in years that actually makes me laugh out loud. Buy it--you'll love it!

Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers
6 used & new from $59.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Kindle yet, November 20, 2011
Way past my expectations, this little gem is just perfect! I had read a couple of reviews (written by Apple fans) that had a few complaints, but they weren't valid in my estimation. The touch screen is very responsive, the display contrast is excellent, the speed of getting to menus and such is good. It arrived pre-registered to my Amazon account with my information already installed (I have a Keyboard Kindle).
It is light and very compact. I can hold it in any number of ways, so that's not a problem. A simple light touch or swipe on the screen gets me forward or backward in the book I'm reading; it's so much better than having to aim for the forward or back button on the Keyboard Kindle.
I bought the subsidized model ($99 vs $139) and when it's off, an advertisement appears on the screen. I like that a lot--the pictures of authors and such that appear on the Keyboard Kindle get kind of tiresome after seeing them a few thousand times. The ads so far are unobtrusive and rather interesting.
If you're a fan of recycling, there's a bonus: The entire package is cardboard--no plastic whatsoever!
Nice job, Amazon. This may be the best thing you've ever done.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4