Profile for duke4711 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

duke4711 RSS Feed

Cosmos ® Plastic Vertical Smart Stand (one pc of black only) for Sony PlayStation 4 / PS4 Console
Offered by Cosmos Tech&Leisure
Price: $7.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Does its job well, April 9, 2014
If you are looking for a vertical stand for your PS4, then this one comes recommended. First of all, it is much cheaper (as in inexpensive) than the one sold by Sony. At first, I was a little concerned about buying a second-hand product such as this, but I've quickly discovered that my initial concerns were unfounded. I've also found that it does exactly what I want it to do (that is - stand my PS4 up vertically) without any headaches. The inside is lined with rubber, so once you get your console wedged in there properly, you should be good to go. I've had my PS4 on it for more than a month now, and I haven't had to touch it or mess around with it. So the bottom line is this is definitely a good product if you're in the market for such a thing. It is also a perfect alternative to something which is sold at a much higher price by Sony.

Ultimate Gangsters Collection: Contemporary  (Mean Streets / The Untouchables / Goodfellas / Heat / The Departed) (Blu-ray Book Packaging)
Ultimate Gangsters Collection: Contemporary (Mean Streets / The Untouchables / Goodfellas / Heat / The Departed) (Blu-ray Book Packaging)
DVD ~ Various
Price: $30.38
33 used & new from $21.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new here, but a great set nonetheless., April 9, 2014
All five of these films are great movies about gangsters. To name a couple, you have the Untouchables, with Kevin Costner, Connery, and De Niro as Al Capone; you also have Heat which features Al Pacino and De Niro. Also included are Goodfellas, Mean Streets, and the Departed. Once again, all five are great standalone films.
In this set, you get a sturdy outer cardboard box, a hardcover book with production notes, pictures, as well as other information about the films, and the five discs are in a separate case. As far as audio/video content is concerned, all of the discs are re-issues of the previously released films, with all of the same special features, commentaries, etc. So you are getting nothing new in that regard. The only thing which is actually new is the hardcover book, which in my opinion, books like this (or at least paper booklets) are what is sorely missing in almost every blu-ray release.
The bottom line is that if you don't have any of these films on blu, and you are a fan of gangster films, then this set is definitely for you. On the other hand, if you do already have all (or most) of the films, then you're probably better off keeping what you have since the only thing that is actually new is the book.

EYE OF THE STORM
EYE OF THE STORM
DVD

1.0 out of 5 stars Very bad and incredibly disturbing - View at your own risk!, August 22, 2013
Sounded intriguing from the description, however, anything good about it ends right there. In fact, it was so bad that I turned it off in the middle. It was just a mess, which in some places, was just plain disturbing. The bottom line is, there are plenty of other, much better, movies available on Prime, so my advice is to pass this one by and watch something else.

The Big Bang Theory Complete Season 1-5 Blu Ray
The Big Bang Theory Complete Season 1-5 Blu Ray
DVD ~ Johnny Galecki

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, extremely happy!, January 12, 2013
For most of us, The Big Bang Theory needs no introduction, so this is a review about the product rather than the actual show. I am extremely happy with these blu-rays. First of all, it is much cheaper if you head over to Amazon's UK website and order directly from there. I payed about $68, which is much cheaper than the U.S. sets. Keep in mind, however, that the price fluctuates daily and shipping will take a lot longer. Also, I used to have the DVDs, but despite the fact that each season is only on two blu-ray discs, the quality of the video is far and away better than the DVDs. I noticed it immediately. The special features are exactly the same, so all you aren't getting if you buy the British set, is the DVDs and the digital copies. But let's face it, when you have the blu-rays, all that extra junk is worthless anyway!

The Mel Brooks Collection [Blu-ray]
The Mel Brooks Collection [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Mel Brooks
10 used & new from $33.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Set for a Great Price!, June 20, 2011
Since I grew up in the 80's, I grew up with Mel Brooks' films. I have been a fan for as long as I can remember. When I saw this set listed on Amazon for $45.99, I couldn't pass it up. I must say that Fox has outdone themselves here. Those of you who have been buying Fox's DVDs and blu-rays probably know that there is nothing special about the majority of them, as many are lacking special features, etc. But not so with this set. First of all, the video transfers on all nine movies are simply incredible. I have watched all of these movies on DVD in the past, and the blu-ray versions just blows them all away. Every movie also has an impressive collection of special features. These include excellent documentaries (many of which are in HD), deleted scenes, trailers, TV Spots, etc. My only (albeit small) complaint here is that I wish more of the films had commentaries, because I love listening to Mel talk about the making of his movies. He is funny, witty, and he tells a great story. Also included is a 119-page, hard-bound book which talks about the making of all nine films. I am still in the process of reading it, but so far there is a lot of information about the making of the movies that I had not known before. My only other complaint about this set is that it is missing The Producers, Life Stinks, and Dracula: Dead and loving It. It really is too bad that these films were left out for whatever reason, but when they are finally released on blu, I will pick them up just the same. The bottom line is that if you are a fan of Mel Brooks' movies, then you simply can't go wrong here. You will not be sorry.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2012 11:30 AM PDT

Ys Seven: Premium Edition
Ys Seven: Premium Edition
Offered by extendedplay77
Price: $114.97
9 used & new from $53.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Game, fits right in with the rest of the series!, August 18, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
As an over twenty-year veteran of the Ys series, I have to say that this game is awesome!
First the packaging: I bought the limited edition which comes in a rather large box with the UMD game case, Ys book, CD, and the cloth map. I love the book, all of the pictures are full-color, some I have seen before, but many I have not. There are no words, just pictures. The cloth map is really cool too, suitable for framing if I could find a frame big enough. My only complaint is the with the CD. The content is the music from the game, which is great. The cover art, however, is where they could have done a much better job with it in my opinion. It comes in a standard jewel case, the artwork on the front and on the CD itself is rather childish, and is also found in the book. The insert opens up into a list of the songs, 27 in all, and a short poem. There is no rear art at all. For a limited edition set such as this, they could have made it look a lot better with more dynamic art.
On to the game: While I have only played it for about four hours, so far I love it. The music is simply phenomenal, like the other games in the series. The load times are nothing like what they were in the PSP version of Napishtim. This game was made exclusively for the PSP, so load times are nice and fast. The story fits in with all of the other games in the series, if you have played any of the others, then you know what I'm talking about. The battle system is totally different, nothing at all like what you would find in Felghana or Napishtim. You start off with Adol and Dogi, and others join along the way. This is the first time in the series that you ever travel as a party, in all of the other games it is just Adol traveling around. All characters have very different battle styles. Adol uses the traditional sword and shield, and Dogi uses gauntlets. You also have to shift between them quite often (which is accomplished by pressing the circle) because there are some monsters that Adol can't hurt but Dogi can, and vice-versa. There is also a special power associated with each weapon which is used by pressing the R, and whichever other button you assign the power to. It's kind of like how the magic works in God of War: Chains of Olympus. Other features include being able to craft items with materials found along the way, such as iron ore, monster skins, or bones. I haven't used this at all yet, so I can't really comment on it. Also, weapons and items are bought in town, or found along the way, just like in the other games.
As I originally stated, this game is awesome, well worth the money. I'm not prepared to call in the best in the series yet (that honor is reserved for Felghana), but that opinion may change once I finish it. If you're a fan of the series, you're sure to love it. If you're a fan of action RPG's in general, then you'll probably love it as well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2010 5:43 AM PDT

Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection
Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection
Offered by PNP Games
Price: $79.00
47 used & new from $15.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Games for low price!, June 18, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have been a fan of the Metal Gear games ever since the original was released on the 8 bit Nintendo in 1987. These are so much better than that. Anyone who has ever played them knows what I'm talking about. As I am writing this, Amazon has the set listed at $50, but I found it at Wal-Mart for $19.96 brand new. So my advice is to do a little shopping, you may be able to find it at a better price. $20 for these fabulous games is a steal!

Gilmore Girls: The Complete Series Collection
Gilmore Girls: The Complete Series Collection
DVD ~ Lauren Graham
Offered by discountedmediaoutlet
Price: $127.25
16 used & new from $97.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set at a great price, but nothing new, November 13, 2007
Picked up my set today and I am submitting my review for those of you wondering about the extras and such. First off the packaging: As you can see in the pictures, the packaging is something you would expect to find in a Barbie Doll box. All of the seasons come in their own respective folders with pictures of the cast and different designs on each. All of the discs are numbered 1-42. The discs come in cardboard sleeves which worried me at first because I was expecting to find a lot of scratched or damaged discs(Like in the Stargate-SG1 set). But upon inspection of all the discs, they all came in perfect shape with no scratches at all. There is also the "Gilmore-isms" book with all of the references arranged alphabetically with the episodes they appear, and a short description of each. The other book is the episode guide which has all of the same descriptions for each episode as the season sets. The discs, while having different cover art than the seperate season sets are all the EXACT SAME DISCS! All have the same featurettes, deleted scenes, etc. etc. There is nothing new. So anyone thinking about selling your season sets in favor of the complete series, keep in mind that you are getting nothing new except for the dorky cover art and "Gilmore-isms" book. I don't really care about the cover art myself, I'm just glad to have all the episodes in one box. The only season set I owned prior to this is the first season. I'd been planning on picking up the other ones but now I'm glad I didn't. I borrowed the other sets from a friend so I could compare the discs. Bottom line: it really is a good set, but in my humble opinion, it is not worth the money if you own the individual season sets. If I had the other six, I'd buy the seventh and be done with it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2008 10:04 AM PDT

Stargate SG-1: The Complete Series Collection
Stargate SG-1: The Complete Series Collection
DVD ~ Richard Dean Anderson
Offered by the_dvd_warehouse
Price: $150.87
8 used & new from $74.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Set, good extras, but poor protection for the discs., October 15, 2007
Just got my set, and I thought I'd write a review incase some people are still deciding whether or not they should buy it. To start off with, the packaging is really cool, and compact(as you can see in the picture). The problem here is with the cardboard sleeves. If you're not careful removing the discs and replacing them, you could scratch them. After inspecting all of my discs, I found that a few already had some minor scratches. I've read other reviews saying that some discs were all scratched to hell and had fingerprints all over them, thankfully none of mine were like this. The collectible book has the same descriptions of the episodes that were included in each individual set. It also lists all of the special features, old and new. The first 50 discs, seasons 1-10, are the exact same discs that they've been selling in the individual season sets. All the episodes are the same, and the special features are all the same. Seasons 1-3 still have no commentaries, and nothing is remastered. Any sets that did not have subtitles to begin with still do not. The four extra discs, have a lot of new material, and some that was released elsewhere. For example, the three-part featurette on disc 53, "Timeline to the future" was previously released on the region 2 set of season 3. "From Stargate to Atlantis: The Lowdown" was also previously released. There are also a lot of "director's series" featurettes that were left off of the original sets. I watched the first bonus disc hoping for something new about the upcoming movies, but they only had the same promos that were on Season 10 of SG-1 and Season 3 of Atlantis. The bottom line, if you already have the previous 1-10 sets and are thinking about selling them to buy the complete set, all you are getting that's new are the four bonus discs. My advice would be to find someone who already has the complete set, and copy their bonus discs. But if you don't have any of the previous sets, then this is definitely the set fot you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2008 5:31 PM PDT