Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Profile for David Cole > Reviews

Browse

David Cole's Profile

Customer Reviews: 43

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David Cole RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Witch
The Witch
DVD
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprise! Reminicent of a Bergman films, esp. "The Virgin Spring,", May 17, 2016
This review is from: The Witch (Amazon Video)
No spoilers,

After reading reviews on IMDB and seeing so many one-star reviews, even though Rotten Tomatoes rated it at 90%, I almost passed this by. Then I saw one reviewer commenting on the music reminding him/her of Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, mentioning composer Ligetti. He also commented on similarities to Kubrick's The Shining. I've heard those kinds of comments before about other films, it's usually hype and those films compared to Kubrick are not the greatest.

After seeing The Witch, on Amazon streaming, it immediately reminded me not of a Kubrick film, although there are apparent stylistic influences here and there, but of Bergman's "The Virgin Spring," not so much the specific storylines, but of the way it captures real-life horror.

No. It is not a traditional "horror movie," The bad reviews might be because of how the film was marketed and it was so unexpected, many people hated it. It is a serious film. My only criticism would be too short a length. I am working up the courage to watch it a second time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2016 3:30 PM PDT

Spectre 007 (Blu-ray)
Spectre 007 (Blu-ray)
DVD ~ Daniel Craig
Price: $14.39
51 used & new from $10.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Very excellent! Perfect balance of character, action and spectacle., January 24, 2016
This review is from: Spectre 007 (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
One of the best Bond films. I finally, fully appreciate Daniel Craig as Bond. This film has exceptional photography and spectacle. So well made!

Starting with the massive Day of the Dead festival in Mexico City, the film does not hold back.

Spartacus - Restored Edition (Blu-ray + DIGITAL HD)
Spartacus - Restored Edition (Blu-ray + DIGITAL HD)
DVD ~ Kirk Douglas
Price: $13.99
28 used & new from $9.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film. Disappointing Bluray, December 27, 2015
Great film. Disappointing Bluray.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2016 11:23 AM PST

The Martian
The Martian
DVD
Price: $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Silly and pretentious---not Interstellar, December 27, 2015
This review is from: The Martian (Amazon Video)
This movie drips arrogant and phoney "science." I wish I rented it rather than buying it, because I won't watch it again. It might have been a decent scifi book. Robinson Crusoe on Mars with "science is religion" subtext. It does have some good space walks and the climax is fun, but the overall mood is not camp enough to be camp.

CoZone USA Hooded Jumpsuit Adult Onesie
CoZone USA Hooded Jumpsuit Adult Onesie
Offered by CoZone Adult Onesies
Price: $79.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bargain on Amazon, December 9, 2015
Very well made. Great bargain on Amazon. I should have read the washing instructions before washing on warm. It also says do not tumble dry. I ended up drying in air half a day then drying in dryer on delicate. The result is some shrinkage which made it a little too snug for me. I suppose it will stretch a bit or i'll have to shrink a little. I bought a large and weigh 270 and 6 foot tall.

Shiro Miso Paste NON GMO No MSG Added Miko Brand 35.2oz by Miyasaka Brewery Co., Ltd [Foods]
Offered by TA National Trading
Price: $8.59
7 used & new from $8.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, November 4, 2015
I bought 2 bags. It's very good. Follow recipes.

Lolita: A Screenplay
Lolita: A Screenplay
by Vladimir Nabokov
22 used & new from $6.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Nabokov Kubrick insight, July 8, 2015
This review is from: Lolita: A Screenplay (Paperback)
Provides excellent insight on the Kubrick/Nabokov pairing

The Stanley Kubrick Archives
The Stanley Kubrick Archives
by Alison Castle
Price: $49.78
61 used & new from $44.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, April 12, 2015
A beautiful Kubrick book. Everyone into Kubrick needs it.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence: From Stanley Kubrick to Steven Spielberg: The Vision Behind the Film
by Jane M. Struthers
Price: $47.31
43 used & new from $34.56

5.0 out of 5 stars A Kubrick Treasure, March 10, 2015
When I received my Book itcame wrapped in clear tight plastic sleeve. It was gorgeous. My first thought was that I should keep it sealed as the ultimate Kubrick momento. In my Universe this is priceless. because Kubrick's fingerprints are all over it.
The images in the book are wondrous and help reconstruct what Kubrick was thinking.
The film as finished by Speilberg is true to Kubrick in many ways, but I think had Kubrick completed the film, it would have Kubrick's greatest film, so when I watch the film I can't help but try to see it as Kubrick would have completed it. People may disagree but I think, the common critcisms of the film are backwards. I see Speilberg's ending as the bleakest possible, because I think Kubrick wanted David to "become a real boy"

At any rate this book is instantly a prized possession for those Kubrick fans like me. Don't hesitate to buy it.

Men's Joggers Cotton Fleece Jogging Trousers Pants Track Suit Bottom MMA Boxing (Blue, 3XL)
Offered by jaze
Price: $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The size was why too small, but started wearing ..., December 27, 2014
The size was why too small, but started wearing them after losing weight. Worethem three times and the crotch seam fell apart. Cheaply made, but since I waied months to wear them, too late to return.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5