Profile for Ebeth822 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ebeth822 RSS Feed (Tx)

The Emergency Sasquatch Ordinance: And Other Real Laws that Human Beings Actually Dreamed Up
by Kevin Underhill
Price: $15.45
41 used & new from $11.91

5.0 out of 5 stars funny, accessible, December 17, 2014
I bought this last year as a Christmas gift for my mother. I'm a fan of Kevin Underhill's blawg so I thought maybe I'd just give this little book a peek before wrapping it up annnnd... had to buy a second copy, because I didn't want to give it up. It's clever, funny, accessible, a quick read, and it's fun. If you find you don't like the book, the author has provided excellent suggestions for alternative uses (I briefly considered shoving it under one corner of my unbalanced washing machine).

Buy this book. Seriously. How could you not?

Naturalizer Women's Iman Ankle Boot,Giglio Oxford Brown,10.5 M US
Naturalizer Women's Iman Ankle Boot,Giglio Oxford Brown,10.5 M US
Offered by The Discount Closet

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect ankle boot, September 25, 2014
Sizing: Spot on.
Comfort: No breaking in period! Total comfort, right out of the box.
Durability: I wear them frequently and so far they seem fairly durable. I've picked up a scuff here and there, but no more than expected.

I love these boots. I'm always nervous about buying footwear online. You can never be certain of the fit or how they'll really look in your hand or on your foot. But these... these were exactly what I'd hoped. They're perfect! I'm going to buy several more while I can, so I've got them handy when I finally wear out my first pair.

To Train Up a Child
To Train Up a Child
by Debi Pearl
Price: $7.95
155 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars (almost) at a loss for words, November 19, 2013
This review is from: To Train Up a Child (Paperback)
A couple of thoughts:

I grew up with corporal punishment and am not opposed to it's limited, controlled use on children who's behavior is dangerous to themselves and/or others, and who are old enough to learn a lesson from it.

Children are not dogs, and I would not train dogs using the methods in this book.

Adults who fear that their children are "trying to manipulate them" are probably dumb enough that a toddler actually *can* manipulate them.

I love our freedom of speech and do not advocate censorship. Don't ban this book. Drown out it's vile message with a conversation about responsible, loving parenting. Use it as a case study in stupidity and evil. Talk about why these techniques are dangerous. Talk about why these techniques are not necessary. Talk about the fact that these authors have blood on their hands. Talk about the victims. Don't censor free speech.

Reunion
Reunion
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good chick-lit, June 1, 2012
This review is from: Reunion (Kindle Edition)
Reading this felt like hearing a good story from one of my girl friends. I found the characters and the story line accessible; I could relate. There were no twists or surprises here - you could see what's coming a mile away - but a story like this doesn't need that kind of thing. It has heart. I'm similar in age to the main character and have been, or have known, most of the characters in this book. So it was easy for me to empathize. In a most gentle and entertaining way, it brought me back to memories and emotions I'd half forgotten: the agony of unrequited love... butterflies of a flirtatious new beginning... the warmth and comfort (almost TOO comfortable) of a deep, long term love... fierce loyalty to a friend... giggly, gossipy girls' night out... guilt, shame, redemption.
Was it deep? No. Was it exceptional prose from an experienced and polished writer? No. Was it a light, fun, easy, quick and entertaining read? YES.

Having said all of that I'm not sure this book is for everyone. Some people prefer to read chick-lit as an escape or a fantasy. This book didn't "take me away" so much as it "took me back." I did enjoy it (very much) and can think of more than just a few people I will recommend it to, but your mileage may vary.

UPDATE:
I've looked through some of the less positive reviews and am scratching my head at a few of them. I didn't find the language so repetitive as to be distracting. I didn't find major inconsistencies in the story. Well, I did spot one but it wasn't a big deal. I found the characters fleshed out adequately for the story they told. One person described the protagonists marriage as a nightmare and if I felt that way I suppose I wouldn't have liked this book, either. But I did like her marriage. Was it perfect? No. But that was kind of the point, wasn't it? And as for the descriptions of the main character's mundane activities... some reviewers say "boring" but I say the descriptiveness was not over the top or excessive. It helped me identify with what she was thinking and feeling, which was key to caring about the situation in which she found herself.
I guess I was right when I said this book isn't for everyone but I still say job well done.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2012 1:39 PM PDT

Aztec
Aztec
by Gary Jennings
Price: $16.19
90 used & new from $5.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, April 13, 2012
This review is from: Aztec (Paperback)
I found this book immensely enjoyable, though I am not a particular fan of historical fiction. I only picked it up by chance but once I did I found it hard to put back down. I have to admit that my first time through I did not finish. About three-quarters of the way through, the story just felt complete and I couldn't see a point in slogging through the considerable remaining pages. I am SO glad that I did eventually re-read this book, and read it all the way to its end. Those unread pages became one of my favorite parts of the story.

A previous review describes the main character as "The Forrest Gump of the Aztec World." I had a bit of a giggle over that; I've described this book using those very words. It's an epic yet engaging life story as told by an elderly Aztec looking back. The central character has an uncanny knack for being at the right place at the right time and involving himself in momentous discoveries, inventions, politics, wars, and virtually every noteworthy event (real or not) of the fall of the Aztec empire. The author's somewhat irreverent sense of humor comes through loud and clear making much of the character interaction a delight to read.

There *are* several moments in this book which - though I enjoyed them - may not be appropriate for all audiences. There is a great deal of graphic sex and violence. Some would call it gratuitous but in my opinion it all lent either to the story directly or to further defining and illuminating the characters. I wouldn't remove a single part of it. But I would warn that this book would probably not be appreciated by a reader that can't like or overlook: sex, adultery, torture, mutilation, incest, pedophilia, and graphic and gory descriptions of ritualized murder.

Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades, Book 2)
Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades, Book 2)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $7.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive and redundant., March 14, 2012
Someone please give this author a thesaurus and an editing team that cares. It's not just that the same actions are repeated over and over (and over... and over again), it's that the same words are used to describe them every time. It's like someone put 50 words in a bag, pulled them out and mashed them into a semblance of a sentence, then tossed them back in the bag and repeated the process to fill 300+ pages.
Inspired by another review I actually used my Kindle to count the ones that were most painful/annoying to read:

Lips bitten: 25
Smirks: 91
Flushes/blushes: 133
F-bombs dropped: 173
Whispers: 251

Do the math! Lips are bitten and eyes are widened in every chapter. Someone gasps once every six pages. The main character "flushes" at least once every three pages.

Yes, the British author uses British colloquialisms that make no sense in the Pacific Northwest. Yes, the female protagonist is two dimensional and boring. Yes, her leading man is given a forced and contrived backstory in an unnecessary attempt to make sense of his kinkiness in a vanilla world. The sex scene was okay the first time I read it, but by the time it was recycled for the twelfth time or so it was just boring. And yes, in between the repetitions listed above the author inexplicably throws whatever was on her "word a day calendar" into character conversation where it sounds silly and awkward. But none of these things really destroy a good book quite like reading "I flush" for the hundredth time. Oh my!

Apologies to the fans out there. Imagine I'm writing this review with an "apologetic smirk."
Comment Comments (190) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2015 12:48 PM PST

Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey

6,561 of 7,006 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Not the worst I've ever read... No, wait. It IS., March 6, 2012
I downloaded the book to my Kindle because it was on the best seller list and had 4 stars overall rating on Amazon. I wish I'd taken the time to read some of the reviews. As it turns out I agree with the negative.
I found myself thinking "Twilight, plus some spanking, minus the sparkly vampires." Here, I'll save you all some time (SPOILER ALERT):

Once upon a time...
I'm Ana. I'm clumsy and naive. I like books. I dig this guy. He couldn't possibly like me. He's rich. I wonder if he's gay? His eyes are gray. Super gray. Intensely gray. Intense AND gray. Serious and gray. Super gray. Dark and gray. [insert 100+ other ways to say "gray eyes" here]
I blush. I gasp. He touches me "down there." I gasp again. He gasps. We both gasp. I blush some more. I gasp some more. I refer to my genitals as "down there" a few more times. I blush some more. Sorry, I mean I "flush" some more. I bite my lip. He gasps a lot more. More gasping. More blushing/flushing. More lip biting. Still more gasping.
The end.

The bad:
It was an interesting concept - for a romance novel. However the story is weak, the pace is slow and awkward, the characters come through as more schizophrenic than complicated, the "romance" is a juvenile and dysfunctional crush, and the "erotic" scenes alternate between Penthouse Forum and something that sounds like it was written by a painfully shy and sheltered 13 year old. I have now read through some of the rave reviews and I have to assume that these were posted by people easily shocked and/or titillated. I can't imagine what fans are comparing this to when they describe this as "good."

The good:
Nice cover art.
Comment Comments (259) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2015 3:01 PM PST