Profile for a gamer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

a gamer "blahblahbkl" RSS Feed (Pittsburgh, PA)

Half-Life 2 - PC
Half-Life 2 - PC
58 used & new from $3.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game, not sure its worth the wait, November 16, 2004
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Half-Life 2 - PC (Video Game)
I would have given the game 5 stars if it had come out about a year ago.

I bought the game last night, and have only played a bit cause I was real tired.

The game itself is really really good because its Half Life's sequel. The beginning is a parody of the original, for you are once again on a train. Of course, the destination is different this time.

I dont wanna give the plot away, but the beginning lets you walk around the world and interact with people and get to know the environment. It is like 20 minutes before you even get a gun, but thats how the original was.

My favorite part of the game is the detailed lip movements of people. It is incredible, their mouths really fit what they are saying.

Overall, the graphics are very good. It is like an extremely polished UT 2004 engine with good physics.

The combat is the best part, for you are once again killing aliens (my favorite pastime) with assorted weapons. my favorite is the shotgun and the awesome sound it makes. I have heard about the gravity gun but I havent got it yet.

SUMMARY:

CONS: It is great to finally be playing the sequel to one of the best FPSs of all time. The graphics are pretty good (not DOOM 3 but still good), the action is great, and the storyline is extremely well written and thought out. You really get into the game, something that rarely happens with FPSs lately. Finally, the audio kicks butt, with a pair of headphones you really get immsersed.

CONS: Graphics could have been better, nothing really new in the style of gameplay. PAIN IN THE BUTT WAITING TIME-I almost boycotted this game after it was delayed again.

Overall, any fans of the old game wil be impressed and satisfied. Its Half Life, but with all the advantages of a modern engine. Also, anyone into a good Sci-fi story will like it, as well as general FPS enthusiasts.

Halo 2 - Xbox
Halo 2 - Xbox
Price: $19.99
207 used & new from $1.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty damn good, November 10, 2004
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Halo 2 - Xbox (Video Game)
I loved the original Halo. It had everything I wanted in a game. Good graphics, excellent story, and lots of action.

Halo 2 is essentially its predecessor, except better. I know that sounds unlikely, but the few things that I didn't like about the original game such as bad Marine AI and monotonous maps are gone in this version.

For example, I was playing last night, and I was on the second level where you and a team of Marines are going through an African city killing everything. A Marine in front of me gets killed as soon as he rounds a corner. Instead of charging ahead, the rest of the squad hugs the wall. So, I swap my sniper rifle for Sarge's auto rifle (another kickass feature, you can swap guns with marines). Since the Marines are better shots, Sarge charges ahead and takes out the Covenant sniper. The marines and I then charge ahead and waste the covenant.

Here is a summary of cons and pros about the game.

PROS: Marines are much, much more intelligent.

You can swap guns with marines.

marines can drive vehicles on their own now.

the flood return

AH TOO MANY TO LIST CANT LIST THEM ALL

Cons: The only bad things I noticed so far were some minor graphial glitches, such as guns and vehicles sticking through walls. Also, every time it loads a charecter in a cutscene, a milisecond later the game seems to "draw" the person. It is kind of wierd looking, but in no way hurts the game.

If you are into a good sci-fi story or lots of action get this game. Also, Halo 1 fans wont be dissapointed, all changes were for the better.

American Idiot
American Idiot
Price: $9.99
291 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpeice, September 21, 2004
This review is from: American Idiot (Audio CD)
I havent bought the album yet, but I have downloaded nine of the songs, and they are amazing. This album goes above and beyond what I have come to expect from Green Day. They no longer do short little songs that go by so quickly. Many say this is a bad thing, but I think the increased length and musical complexity creates a much more enjoyable album. Musically, I have heard a great improvement in all three band member's playing. Tre Cool's drumming is more clear smooth then ever, Billie Joe's guitar explores new realms, and Mike's bass creates the perfect background for all the songs. Overall, I give this album five stars. This is definately their best album yet, and their most mature, but every song still carries with it peices of the old Green Day we have come to love so much.

Doom 3
Doom 3
Offered by DEBSBANKSCRAP
Price: $34.50
117 used & new from $0.05

4.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, August 4, 2004
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Doom 3 (Video Game)
AHHHHHH i cant stress enough how much this game owns. THE GRAPHICS ARE INCREDIBLE, and it is so dark you almost never see what attacks you until its in your face. It is so much better than any other currently released shooter it is not funny. I dont know what else to say but BUY THIS GAME. IF I COULD GIVE IT 100 STARS I WOULD!

Now that I am calmed down, the only problem i could see with this game is that those with bad computers might not run it well. Let me stress, DOOM 3 is intended for kick butt machines, so the average Dell home desktop probably wouldnt run it as well, unless you have a decent video card. My machine is pretty good, and runs DOOM beautifully. I run a P4 2.4GHz, a gig of RAM, and a radeon 9800 pro video card. If your comp can handle it, GET THIS Game you will not be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Halo still lives, December 20, 2003
Yes, other reviews have said that this game is a far cry from its Xbox borne brother, but it is still quite fun. I have had it since it came out a few months ago, and the online play keeps getting better. At first, there were lots of team killers and people which made the online experience plain annoying, but now game creators have gotten smarter. They change the ruilses so you can't hurt your own team, and this makes the game much less frustrating online.
However, I warn you that if you have a nice computer, the game will take away hours of your life. It is very smooth on most of my friend's dell computers, and is extremely addicting. I myself have an old P3 computer, and despite the choppiness, I still stay up playing online way past midnight.
Single player, on the other hand, is pretty boring. The PC version is missing the famous cooperative mode, which was the highlight of the Xbox version. But i believe that online play makes up for it.
Overall, if you are a first person shooter fan and you have a nice computer, get this game.
Pros: Nice graphics, nice audio, fun vehicles, overall online entertainment, and a cheap price
Cons: Halo recquires a relatively new computer to run (a high-end Pentium 3 or above), and a nice graphics card. Single player does not include cooperative, and killing waves of aliens can be boring by yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Halo is the best, October 7, 2003
I wrote a review several weeks ago anticipating the release of this game. I predicted it would be amazing. It was.
Upon installing the game, I was informed that my 500mHz P3 was not fast enough to run this game. Almost sure it would fail, I started up Halo anyway and began playing. It was almost as smooth as Xbox on my setting of over 800 by 600 resolution ( i cant remember the exact numbers). It is so smooth except in massive combat scenes in single player. The game runs smoothly in multiplayer, which, byt the way, is more addicting than Counter-strike, Team fortress, or any other online shooter combined. I give this game 5 stars. Ever dollar in my 50m bucks I spent on this game was worth it. BUY THIS GAME OR YOU WILL MISS OUT ON THE BEST SHOOTER IN HISTORY.
NOTE: My comp runs on 128 mb RAM, an ATI Radeon 64mb graphics card, and a Pentium 3 550mHZ processor.

5.0 out of 5 stars HALO ROCKS, September 16, 2003
HERES THE SITUATION: My friend bought Halo a year or so ago for his Xbox. I have been playing shooting games since I was about 4 years old (Doom haha). I have played Half-Life and all its expansion pakcs, Quake series, and many more. I played Halo, and it was THE BEST SHOOTING GAME EVER! An immersive storyline, great music, great sounds, and amazing graphics made this game my top favorite.
Sadly, I am not big on the money thing, so I will probably never get an Xbox. Well, my souped up gaming computer and I heard about Halo for PC. This game will be amazing, complete with online play! I cant wait to sneak atop hills with Active Camo on and snipe somebody. This game will only be increased in fun with the computer version. The only thing I will miss about the console version will be the Co-op play, but maybe Gearbox and Bungie will add it....