Profile for K. Ash > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Ash RSS Feed

Lights, Cowboy, Action (Heartsong Presents)
Lights, Cowboy, Action (Heartsong Presents)
by Lesley Ann McDaniel
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
56 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, something I can share with my teen daughter, June 26, 2013
The writer has a way of painting a picture of both the characters and their surroundings that suck you right in to the story. It was nice to have the male lead be the one with the integrity - less predictable than the basic plot of female always saving male. I especially love that I can share this with my daughter. Most books these days seem to have explicit sex or violence. This book is exciting without resorting to any sensationalism. A fun fast romance read of a higher moral character.

Simon Bloom: the Order of Chaos
Simon Bloom: the Order of Chaos
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Different Take on Sci-Fi & Adventure Series, December 31, 2012
We started this series a few years ago when I randomly chose it off an audiobook shelf. The whole family, including Grandpa listened while traveling from CA to Nevada. We were all captivated.

If you start the series cold, having no clue what it is about, the first few chapters of the first book are a bit slow and/or confusing, but once the story takes shape, that is it. We have been waiting (and bugging the author) for the 3rd book now for over a year. We wish that one was available as an audiobook, but all of us agree that we hear the character voices in our heads as we read the Kindle version.

Rather than strictly imaginative fantasy, these books empower the characters with actual STEM concepts. The author is able to introduce the topics in an understandable way, without "dumbing them down" too much. I have a 13 year old girl taking Physics now, and she is not a bit overwhelmed since the basics have been introduced to her through this series. My 12 year old boys are looking forward to Chemistry and Biology too.

My kids love the action, I love that the books makes me think. A subtle component to the stories is that the adults and tween characters work together (or battle each other) without either side being ridiculed or made to look less than the other. Finding a book, TV, or movie plot these days that treats differing ages and sexes as equals is hard to find.

Simon Bloom, the Gravity Keeper
Simon Bloom, the Gravity Keeper
by Michael Reisman
Price: $8.99
129 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked the whole family......., December 21, 2009
High praise for the book. I picked up the audio version of Simon Bloom Gravity Keeper as one of three books to keep my children busy on a car trip from California to Nevada. I was nervous about this trip, since we were flying from our home in Washington State to California to pick up one Grandparent, then driving to Nevada to visit the other Grandparents. BUT, thanks to the book, we all had a fabulous time even though most of the trip was spent in the car. We never even used the other two books I had in reserve. The book was able to capture the imagination of two nine year old boys, one 10 year old girl, a forty-five year old couple, and a seventy-eight year old Grandpa - all in one fell swoop! We promptly came home and found The Octopus Effect (next book in the series). I am homeschooling my three children, and I know the books are helping to smooth the way in all science areas without them even knowing it.

Simon Bloom: The Octopus Effect
Simon Bloom: The Octopus Effect
by Michael Reisman
55 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Action, Drama, Comedy, and Science Combined, December 21, 2009
The whole family enjoyed this sequel. The author does not dumb-down the science concepts, and the action/comedy are as exciting as the last book. I do recommend reading the first book in the series "Gravity Keeper" before this one though. The characters and concepts will make more sense that way. We enjoy this series as a book on tape since it allows the scenes to come alive for my kids, and allows me to stop the tape whenever they need more info on a concept, or want to discuss an action sequence. I have two 9 year olds and a 10 year old. We took the first book on a car trip and it hooked 6 people, ages 9 to 78......definately 5 stars for us. We got home and immediately looked to see if the author had more books and were thrilled to find the Octopus Effect - can't wait for the next one.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT for Kodak EasyShare M380 Camera REVISED, September 26, 2009
Battery is too big for the camera it is listed to be for. I am waiting to see if Bargain Cell has the correct unit, or if they will pay the shipping back for this one since it was incorrectly advertised.

UPDATE: It has been a week and Bargain Cell has ignored me. Cost of the product is not worth paying the shipping back so I have just been cheated.

FINAL UPDATE: Bargain Cell contacted me about a month after my email, apologized for the delay/confusion, and promptly shipped me the correct chargers for my camera at no extra charge. They also did not require me to ship back the incorrect charger so I did not have to incur this shipping costs. The new charger works perfectly.

My rating is back to 4 stars (one less than 5 just because of the delay)