Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Profile for AJ > Reviews

Browse

AJ's Profile

Customer Reviews: 775

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

AJ RSS Feed (USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Julep Color Treat Nail Polish,  Neutrals/Whites, Alaina Classic with a Twist, 0.27 fl. oz.
Julep Color Treat Nail Polish, Neutrals/Whites, Alaina Classic with a Twist, 0.27 fl. oz.
Price: $14.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent polish, beautiful color., July 23, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It looks slightly more pastel in the bottle, but on the nails it is a nice taupey/gray/purple. I didn't notice it drying substantially faster than my other polishes. It went on a little streaky for me initially, but it was almost opaque with one coat (the picture shows two coats). Some reviewers have complained about the bottle tipping over, but I had no problems. I actually really like the thin bottle shape as it is easier to store.

I haven't used this long enough to know if the healthier nails claim is true, but I can't see myself paying this price for that benefit if it does.
Comment Comment | Permalink

butter LONDON Iconoclast Mega Volume Lacquer Mascara, Brilliant Black, 0.22 fl. oz.
Price: $20.00

4.0 out of 5 stars The best high end mascara I've ever used., July 20, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was pleasantly surprised by this mascara. I have tried tons of mascaras over the years from Dior to drugstore, and have recently stuck with Maybelline New York Volume' Express The Rocket Waterproof Mascara, Very Black, 0.3 Fluid Ounce because it holds my curl indefinitely, gives me great volume, doesn't smudge or flake, and costs $6. I wasn't expecting this butter LONDON mascara to rival the Maybelline, but it does.

The picture is immediately after application (two coats). I didn't bother with an end of the night pic because it stayed looking exactly the same after 12 hours of wear. It held my curl and didn't smudge or flake at all! In fact it performed almost exactly like The Rocket mascara. I haven't liked ball-tip wands in the past, but this one was great at helping to separate my lower lashes and getting the inner corner. I honestly don't have a single complaint about this mascara. It gives volume and length, as advertised, and won't move all day.

This isn't a waterproof mascara, but it's close. I had to use an oil based eye makeup remover to take it off. I don't mind that at all though since this holds my curl like a waterproof mascara and doesn't smudge. The only reason I probably won't be switching to this mascara is the price. It's 3X as much as the Maybelline and they give me the same effect. Still, this is by far the best high end mascara I've ever used.

Silk'n Flash&Go Compact and Trim
Silk'n Flash&Go Compact and Trim
Price: $199.99
2 used & new from $199.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Silk'n vs Veet: Which laser hair removal device is the best?, July 14, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my second laser hair removal device. The first one I tried was the Veet Infini'Silk Pro Light-Based IPL Hair Removal System (white device and black box in the pictures). I've had good success with the Veet, so I wanted to see if this Silk'n device would be any better. It turns out they are both made by the same company (you can see they used the same images on the boxes). The devices look very different, but the actual laser window looks the same (the Veet window is a little larger). Beyond the appearance, they sound, feel, and work exactly the same. The one real difference I noticed is that the Silk'n has a glide option which makes it much faster to use on large areas, like legs, than having to pulse-move, pulse-move etc.

I haven't owned this long enough to compare the effectiveness of each laser, but it looks like they are pretty similar. If you can find one at a better price than the other, grab it. For me, I really like the glide function of the Silk'n, and I like the shape and size better too. Keep in mind that laser hair removal isn't a one-and-done process. It takes several months to see results (see the manual schedule pic), but in my opinion, it's well worth the time.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Philips Sonicare Diamond Clean Rechargeable Toothbrush with Adaptive Clean Brush Head, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars My teeth have never felt so clean outside of a dentist office, July 14, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My teeth have never felt so clean outside of a dentist office. I'd been using the Oral-B Professional Precision 5000 Electric Toothbrush with SmartGuide for the past few years and thought it was great. But trying this Diamond Clean toothbrush from Philips showed my just how much better a toothbrush could be.

The sonic vibration in this Diamond Clean toothbrush is unlike any power toothbrush I've ever used. The vibration is intense. It doesn't even really feel like it's moving. The difference between sonic cleaning and a high power electric toothbrush is huge. I can't ever see myself going back.

The brush itself is sleek and narrow compared to other electric toothbrushes. There is only one button, but the names of the cleaning modes light up as you cycle through them making it easy to chose the one you want. And I love the glass charger. It looks so nice on my bathroom counter. I haven't used this long enough to test the whitening claims, but I'm extremely happy with this toothbrush even without whitening benefits.

Every Hidden Thing
Every Hidden Thing
by Kenneth Oppel
Price: $12.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as consuming as a book about discovering dinosaurs, forbidden romance, and a dangerous dig should be., July 10, 2016
This review is from: Every Hidden Thing (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I liked this book, not as much as I should have given the Romeo and Juliet meets Indiana Jones pitch, but I liked it. And while the comparisons were technically accurate (the children of rival fossil hunting families fall in love), it lacked the promised sweeping romance and exhilarating adventure. There was romance and adventure, just in a more tepid form.

That being said, the writing is very good, with just enough period accurate phrasing and detail to sell the 19th century setting. I also liked that the characters--for the most part--acted and thought in the way people from that time would (I despise reading modern sensibilities in historical books). Sam and Rachel were both strong, distinct characters. I never found myself in a rush to get back to the other's POV while reading--both had compelling narratives.

Another highlight were the dinosaurs. I loved how the discoveries and conversations about paleontology were woven throughout the narrative without out bogging the story down. Everything from how they named the newly discovered dinosaurs to the methods for distinguishing bone from wood or rock.

Really, what's keeping me from giving this book a higher rating is the story itself. Despite discovering dinosaurs, forbidden romance, and various dangers on the dig, the story was slow. Pleasant, interesting in places, and informative, but slow. My heart rate never escalated and I never rushed to turn the pages. In fact, it took me four days to finish what I'd normally read in one sitting. Again, not because it was bad, just not as consuming as a book about discovering dinosaurs, forbidden romance, and a dangerous dig should be.

L'Oreal Paris Cosmetics Infallible Eye Sculpt Liner, Black, 0.05 Ounce
L'Oreal Paris Cosmetics Infallible Eye Sculpt Liner, Black, 0.05 Ounce
Price: $7.99
3 used & new from $7.99

2.0 out of 5 stars The tip makes it hard to create a smooth thin line, June 28, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This liner is really meant for creating dots and designs, not lining the lash, and definitely not for creating any kind of wing. The ball tip is not tiny. I really struggled to get the line close to my lashes, and I had to go over it a lot to make it smooth. Another disappointment is that it's not as black as I'd like. For me, this is going in with my halloween makeup.

Maybelline New York Super Stay Better Skin Powder, Classic Ivory, 0.32 Ounce
Maybelline New York Super Stay Better Skin Powder, Classic Ivory, 0.32 Ounce
Price: $8.99
2 used & new from $8.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybelline Better Skin Powder vs. Rimmel Stay Matte Powder, June 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This powder claims to cover like a foundation and control shine, but failed on both accounts for me. This powder provided zero coverage for me, zero. As for the shine control, that didn't deliver either. I tried it on half my face and used my Rimmel Stay Matte powder on the other side (I have combo/oily skin). Both had about the same level of coverage and looked similar on the skin initially. By the end of the day, however, I had a clear winner. The Rimmel side was barely shiny, whereas the Maybelline side was a greasy mess.

I don't know if the clearer skin claim is more accurate than the coverage or oil control promise, but I'm not impressed. Someone with dry or normal skin might be okay, but if you are even a little oily, go with Rimmel. If you want coverage, I'd suggest Bare Minerals.

Spontaneous
Spontaneous
by Aaron Starmer
Price: $12.63

2.0 out of 5 stars I was left feeling pretty indifferent by it, June 20, 2016
This review is from: Spontaneous (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got sucked in by the John Green quote (who I love), but this book didn't do it for me.

Original, yes. I can't say I've ever read anything like SPONTANEOUS. The writing is good and very conversational. My only issue with the writing is that despite being told from a girl's POV, it felt like a guy was writing it (if that makes sense. I've read plenty of male authors writing this way, John Green's FIOS for example, that believably pulled off a female POV, but this didn't for me).

It's such a weird idea, kids spontaneously exploding, but the actual narrative here is on the boring side. Mara has a very random way of thinking, and she's prone to tangents and flashbacks that don't do much. The whole book has a meandering feel to it. Pretty much every named character gets a few pages of context and backstory, and considering that there are probably a few dozen (or more) named characters in SPONTANEOUS, it kills what little momentum there was to begin with.

There's a romance of a sort, but like everything else in this book, I was left feeling pretty indifferent by it. Maybe that's my real problem here: I didn't care about Mara or any of the many, many other characters that wandered on or off the page. I didn't find the humor all that humorous either, dark or otherwise. I don't know. The other early reviews are all very positive, so maybe this is just not the book for me. Give it a try if the other reviews intrigue you.

New Balance Women's Accelerate Tunic, Cosmic Coral, Large
New Balance Women's Accelerate Tunic, Cosmic Coral, Large
Price: $17.15
4 used & new from $17.15

2.0 out of 5 stars Hugged under my belly in a really unflattering way., June 17, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Well, this was disappointing. I normally love this type of tunic tank, but this one just cut oddly. The front is too long. It's not as loose around the bottom as similar tunic tanks in this size, so it hugged under my belly in a really unflattering way.

InStyler TITANIUM 1-Way Rotating Iron
InStyler TITANIUM 1-Way Rotating Iron
Price: $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooths and adds shine without me having to do the hairdryer/roll brush routine., June 17, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love my InStyler! I wanted something that would smooth and shine without me having to do the hairdryer/roll brush routine. I could never get the hang of doing my own blowouts at home, but the InStyler gives me almost the same look (with a little less volume) without have to spend 45 minutes contorting my arms with a roll brush and hair dryer. Plus it's great for fixing those little bends and kinks that show up on day two or three.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20