Profile for Daniel B. Beaulieu > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 54

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Daniel B. Beaulieu "Business book man" RSS Feed (Maine)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Supercommunicator: Explaining the Complicated So Anyone Can Understand
Supercommunicator: Explaining the Complicated So Anyone Can Understand
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars aA gem of a book, July 30, 2014
One of the greatest gifts that anyone can have is the ability to communicate. This is especially true when it comes to subjects like technology. An Wang of Wang Computers said years ago that “A true genius is a person who can make difficult things seem easy.” The reason the late Carl Sagan of “Billion and Billions” fame was so successful because he was able to take difficult and seemingly boring subjects easy to understand and yes fascinating.
Now in this new book by Frank Pietrucha you can learn to do the same thing. You can learn how to explain anything in an easy to understand manner.
Think how important and effective this can be to your business. If you are in sales for example and are able to describe your products and all of their benefits in a way that your customers are going to understand you will be that much more successful. Think about it marketing is all about effective communications.
Through a number of very pertinent real life the author demonstrates how you can take complicated things and make them seem easy. The first example he uses is how to explain Higgs Boson. It doesn’t get more complicated than that right? The author shows how by what he calls, “delivering meaning” in other words making your explanation meaningful to your audience he was able to explain this complicated discovery so that everyone could understand not only what it was but more importantly why it was so meaningful to all of us. So for those of us who did not understand the importance of this discovery here is how he explained it so that we would all get it.
“The discovery of the elusive Higgs boson confirms the theory that scientists have been using to understand how the universe works. Physicists are celebrating this breakthrough because it can lead to other significant findings like the discovery of quantum mechanics did almost a century ago. Quantum mechanics lead to the invention of many of the twentieth century’s most notable technologies…like cell phones, computers and even the atomic bomb. The discovery of the Higgs boson could me equally important…if not more so. It can lead to innovations we can’t yet imagine.”
Okay now we get it…now we know what the fuss was all about.
The book is filled with tools we can use to also become “Super Communicators” the author shows us how to use his simple guidelines effectively. Here are a few of his basic guidelines:
• Lead with the conclusion
• Use Big words sparingly
• Combat jargon use
• Avoid acronyms
• Short sentences and short paragraphs
• Sync your message to your audience’s culture
• Make it error free
And the one guideline that is the most important, humanize your message. In other words make it relatable to your immediate audience.
I have yet to find a book on communications that addresses these very important issues in such an effective way. It provides all of us who have to communicate…which is all of us whatever field we are in with the tools we need to be better communicators.
Check this out and start your journey to becoming a super communicator; then start getting your point across

Redefining Operational Excellence: New Strategies for Maximizing Performance and Profits Across the Organization
by Andrew Miller
Price: $22.59
51 used & new from $17.46

5.0 out of 5 stars What Operational Excellece Really Is!, July 29, 2014
What’s the problem with Lean Manufacturing? What’s the problem with Six Sigma? Easy they do not include people. They take into consideration only processes rather than people they are only a small component of Operational Excellence rather than the entire solution.
According to Andrew Miller in his new book, Redefining Operational Excellence: New Strategies for Maximizing Performance and Profits across the Organization, “Operational Excellence is about empowering employees to use judgment on the front lines. But often an organization uses methodologies that preclude having to use judgment. The methodology (Lean or Six Sigma) becomes a crutch.” And to me said methodology creates a “leave your brains at the door” mentally when it comes to people. And this is why I love this book.
Full disclosure I have always been vehemently against any process methodologies that attempt to “lobotomize and “robotize” people. I am a great believer in people and t her amazing things that they can accomplish. I have always believed that Six Sigma, Lean and every other theory of the month ideologies were bad for business so that is why I am in full agreement with Andrew Miller. And if you feel the same way I do then you will too.
When I saw this book come across my desk my first reaction was “Oh, oh here comes the next version the latest ideology of the month,” but once I opened the book I honestly could now put it down. This guy makes sense. This guy has brought the people to the table which is what has always been needed.
Miller had me from the very first paragraph when he writes, “Operational Excellence is the relentless pursuit of doing things better. It is not a destination or a methodology but a mindset that needs to exist across and organization. Operational excellence is not about perfection or performing activities. It is about dramatic improvements and financial growth.”
I believe that the author has it right when he says, “Fix the process then implement the technology.” So many times we want to implement new technology into a flawed process. It just does not work. If the basic structure is not sound then technology will only allow you to make “bad decisions faster” Why don’t people get that?
One of the biggest problems with programs like Lean is that they want to treat everything as though they are the same. They assume that the people are the same and even the customers are the same; which of course they are not.
“Instead of focusing on standardization, organizations need to focus on customization. Every customer is different and requires a different solution. Organizations need to focus on learning more about their customers and on collaborating with them to provide the best solutions.” And to that I say a big Amen and thank you to Andrew Miller.
If you agree with what the author is saying in his book then you need to read it to get the facts and strengthen your arguments against the “Leaners” in your organization. And if you find yourself not agreeing with his theories then you’d better get out there and get this book right now because it’s critical to you, your career and your organization that you see the light, and sooner rather than later.

Marketing (The Brian Tracy Success Library)
Marketing (The Brian Tracy Success Library)
Price: $3.79

5.0 out of 5 stars From the Brian Tracy Success Library So much great information in such a little book A great bargain ..., July 2, 2014
Marketing: From the Brian Tracy Success Library
So much great information in such a little book
A great bargain of both time and money
Okay I have to admit that after ready four or five of these books from Bran Tracy’s Success Library I’m hooked. Of course I am always a sucker for simple well written and informative books, Books I consider a true bargain when it comes to not only my money but my time. In his unique style Tracy slams more information and business guidance in this little volume than a whole shelf of other marketing books.
This is of course a book about marketing and he really lays it on the line. If you know a young person who is thinking about getting into marketing this is the book to recommend. If you are a person who is new to marketing this is the right book for you. Or if like me you are an old hand at marketing emphasis on the word “old” this one still packs a punch.
I love the idea that people but emotion. If you were going to summarize all marketing in one phrase it would be this…people buy on emotion. They buy things because of the way it makes them feel. Not the way the product makes them feel although that is often a close second…or maybe third we cannot forget buyer’s remorse, but the way they feel buying the product. The joy of buying, the joy of feeling that they are making the right decision that’s the thing.
Chapter 16 which, the “hit them where they ain’t” chapter is worth the price of the book. This is where Tracy shines as he describes how to differentiate; how to offer your customers “something better, faster cheaper.” He describes how to do this by offering more than your competitors, offering something new. I also like that throughout the book he emphasizes offering more value rather than a cheaper price because this is truly how god marketing works. It’s all about the value.
Check this little book out, thumb through it, read it, give it to your sales and marketing guys. Dare I say it is the one book on marketing you don’t want to be without.

The Art of War for Small Business: Defeat the Competition and Dominate the Market with the Masterful Strategies of Sun Tzu
Price: $7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars A great classic renewed, June 13, 2014
Finally this book is explained and put into everyday terms that applie to those of us in the modern world. Just as it says author Sheetz-Runkle has taken this ageless book on war…and business and brought it into the 21st century.
The author has done a masterful job of taking these lessons and applying them to today. From “choose the right ground for your battles” to “strike your competitors’ weakest points” to “build and leverage strategic alliances” she has successfully transported Sun Tzu’s teachings into today’s world.
Some of the examples from the book: “The better you are acquainted with your adversary’s design, the less likely you will be to fall for a lure”
And this little gem for choosing the right market, “Choose the right ground for your market. Go where opportunity is, but the competition is not.” which of course is the bases of all good small business strategy. Or in our own words find and niche it.
Look full disclosure here I have tried to read the original Art of War many times and have not been able to get through it. Not because it’s a big book which it is not but mainly because I just could not get into it, so it was with some trepidation that I approached this version. But alas my efforts were rewarded, this was so readable and interesting that I got through it like a hot knife through butter and yes I got it. And for that I thank MS. Sheetz-Runkle.
She has taken a 2500 year old classic and made it a modern day classic. Pick this one up and you will not be disappointed I promise you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2014 10:39 AM PDT

Own Your Future: How to Think Like an Entrepreneur and Thrive in an Unpredictable Economy
by Paul B. Brown
Price: $16.80
56 used & new from $6.56

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must read book for our times, June 13, 2014
This is a rare book that shows you how to think and act like a true visionary, an entrepreneur someone who swings for the fences with wild abandonment….no wait a minute not at all, that’s not true according to the authors of this book entrepreneurs don’t swing for the fences at all in fact they are some of the most risk-averse people in business today.
Instead great entrepreneurs employ what the authors have dubbed the ALBR method of growing a business from an idea. This stands for Act, Learn, Build and Repeat. Put another way this is a system of trial and error, here is how it works. You take a good idea, or product or service. You try it out a step at a time applying the ALBR system; if things are working you continue you on the next step, if they are not working exactly like you thought you make adjustments and worst case scenario it is not working at all you move on without having risked your life’s fortune.
It all makes good sense in the end. What I like about the book was that the authors demonstrated how you could start a business safely, by that I mean with some security. By using their methods four friends were able to start a small business and still keep their day jobs. The business is steadily growing and someday it will reach a critical mass where it will be able to sustain them.
One interesting chapter was about “doing what you live and the money will come” They busted that myth pointing out that this is not always true and that quite often in fact whatever you love is not really a money maker. And in many cases doing what you love will not allow you to support your family so you have to keep that day job. But not all is lost because doing something you love in the end will make you happy, even if you do it for just a few minutes a day. So if you wanted to be a painter or a writer, be one even if it doesn’t support your family and you have to keep your real job it will still make you happy. And who knows in the long run using the ALBR system you might just gain enough traction to get somewhere with your dream.
The most important thing about this book is the timeliness of it. With people losing their jobs, with older people fighting ageism in the work place and with young people straight out of college having a hard time finding this book is particularly important and pertinent as the authors do spend a great deal of time sowing the reader what to do when these to help meet these challenges. They show us how to use our skills to provide a product or service no matter no matter how small and then using their system grow that business with the very minimum of investment dollars.
This is a good book for these economic times and a great book for those of us who find themselves at a career crossroads.
If you’re one of these people…and who isn’t, you need to buy and read this book.

The Innovative Sale: Unleash Your Creativity for Better Customer Solutions and Extraordinary Results
by Mark Donnolo
Price: $20.54
60 used & new from $9.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally someone gets it!, April 18, 2014
Good things happen when you mix a little right brain with some left and this is what happened with author Mark Donnolo. An accomplished and talented artist Donnolo decided to get an MBA and join and enter the world of business. Although he loved his art and had a passion for creativity he also loved the world of business. He quickly found himself at a distinct advantage because he was able to apply his creativity to the world of business…most particularly sales.
In this unique book on sales the author shares with us the solutions he has developed over the years by applying his creativity hence innovation to the sales process.
“It’s time for serious sales people to think differently,” He says, “We can track sales leads and dollars sold until our pipelines burst. But the sale happens when we connect to the buyer and offer something they need in a way our competitors cannot.”
All I can say to that is thank you Mark.
As a long time sales consultant I have been saying the same thing. I have been known to strenuously object when a LEAN guru tells me that he can apply those principles to the sales process. I have fought long and hard against those left brained theorists who think that all you need is a process to get things done. You know who I’m talking about those guys that think that everything would work so much more smoothly if we could eliminate people from the equation!
In this book Donnolo proves again and again that it takes people, very innovative and creative people to be successful when it comes to sales. The only way a sale is made is when one person convinces another person to do something. Sorry but all sales are personal that’s just the way it is. And if you are ready to agree with this theory then pick this book up and learn how you can do it.

Delight Your Customers: 7 Simple Ways to Raise Your Customer Service from Ordinary to Extraordinary
by Steve Curtin
Price: $13.21
57 used & new from $4.89

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for those who care about customer care, April 17, 2014
A Great read for Customer Care
Okay so I’m a sucker for books about customer service. I look for and read them every chance I get. And I have to say that this is one of the better ones. Especially when you take into consideration how well written and organized this one is.
Here is something to think about when considering customer service is job function versus job essence. Job function is what it takes to do the job, the words on the page of a job description. Carrying bags for guests is the function of a bell hop for example while the essence of the job is what surrounds the job things like, making the guests welcome, making sure they have everything they need to be comfortable in their room; making sure that you do something special and remarkable for that customer. That is the essence of the job and that is the essence of great customer service.
In the words of the author, “Job essence is indicated in employees’ personality, creativity, enthusiasm, passion and unique flair.”
The author not only gives specific examples of good and poor service but he also does it in a way that inspired and inspired me to not only think about but also develop my own idea for better customer service in my own business.
Here are some of the 7 ways:
1. Express genuine interest
2. Offer sincere and specific compliments
3. Share unique knowledge
4. Convey authentic enthusiasm
5. Use appropriate humor
6. Provide pleasant surprises
7. Deliver heroics
Curtin delivers chapters on each of these steps and then caps it off with a final chapter on going from ordinary to extraordinary. My particular favorite chapter where the author states: “With so much poor customer service around great customer service becomes truly outstanding.”
And this final bit of advice, “Exceptional customer service is never a happy accident that a company stumbles into. It is always the result of intention and design.”
And to that I say amen.

Be a Direct Selling Superstar: Achieve Financial Freedom for Yourself and Others as a Direct Sales Leader
by Mary Christensen
Price: $12.75
63 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars For all types of sales professionals, April 16, 2014
Extremely useful for all types of sales
I was pleasantly surprised when I read this book. I thought it was going to be about business to business selling but instead quickly found out that it was of course about selling products to consumers thought networking as well as direct sales. But there was something about this book that was so engaging that I decided to keep flipping the pages; and I was glad I did.
This book is literally a primer for good sales methods, techniques and habits that are completely pertinent and useful to all of us in sales, heck to all of us in s professional business career.
The book is chock full of great advice on a number of subjects from networking to the disciplines needed for making and keeping your own schedule.
I have to say that just about all of the advice I found here can be applied to sales people both direct and reps who are out here in their own territories, on their own.
The chapter called Turn your shining stars into super stars is in itself worth the price of this book:
From that chapter here are the: Eight steps to keeping your leadership program focused and simple
1. Start developing every new aspiring leader by conducting a one-on-one Moving Up interview that establishes goals.
2. Schedule regular leadership training to drive momentum.
3. Allocate the last week of each month to review the month and finalize planning from next month.
4. Leadership training doesn’t have to be complicated.
5. Training is worthless if it’s not followed by action.
6. Commitment and accountability are the keys to leadership.
7. Although you’ll make yourself as available and accessible as possible, the purpose of your leadership program is to develop independently functioning leaders.
8. You may have to face situation in which someone in the program stalls before promoting the plan.
See what I mean? This is all good clear advice for any sales manager who is tasked with managing, measuring and motivating any sales force.
I know that a lot of this is plain common sense that we all have learned at one time or another but seldom have I seen it all in one place an so well laid out which makes sense because when you think about it people are people and sales is sales.
Whether you are selling Avon products or printed circuit boards the same basic principles still apply.
Don’t pass this one up just because you’re not exactly involved direct sales… this one is for all of us in sales, you’ll like this book I promise you.

Leadership (The Brian Tracy Success Library)
Leadership (The Brian Tracy Success Library)
by Brian Tracy
Price: $8.96
61 used & new from $4.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Tracy, April 14, 2014
I have read all of the books in Brian Tracy’s Success Library and found them all equally useful as well as readable and interesting.
What I like about his one obviously about leadership is that everything you need to be a great leader is right here in this very short but very concise little volume.
From learning how to be a leader:
Be action oriented
Have a vision
Have a plan
Know where you are going
Lead by example
And handling adversity you can pick up at just one sitting what you are going to need to develop into a leader.
But hold on here this book is much more important than that. This is what I tend a right had drawer book The kind of inspiration stimulation tool that you refer to again and again as you develop into a true leader.
Here for example are Tracy’s four basic steps to becoming a better leader
1. Do more of certain things. Do more of those things that are of greater value to you and more important to achieving your results as a leader.
2. Do less of certain things. At the same time, you must deliberately decide to reduce the amount of time you spend on certain activities that impede your success as a leader.
3. Start to do those things you aren’t doing that you need to be doing. What are the skills, competencies, or knowledge that you need in order to succeed as a leader? Identify them and then either acquire them or learn them.
4. Stop doing certain things altogether. There may be certain activities that are no longer relevant to your goals as a leader…what was once important is no longer important and should no longer take up your time.
From the chapter on how to handle yourself in a crises
• Stay Calm
• Be confident in your abilities
• Dare to go forward
• Counterattack
• Keep things simple
• Never compromise you integrity
• Persist until your succeed
I know that many of us have heard and read these things before but then again the truth is the truth and great is advice is just that great advice. I look at this particular chapter as that fire extinguisher behind the glass that you break in case of fire or in this case… crises.
I can say with one hundred percent honesty that I have used Tracy’s books in this way. I have used them as an emergency tool when I get into some sort of jam. I just take a deep breath, open my right hand drawer and read through his appropriate book until I find something that helps me to find the solution. You should try it. It works.

The New Corporate Facts of Life: Rethink Your Business to Transform Today's Challenges Into Tomorrow's Profits
by Diana Rivenburgh
Price: $11.90
66 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a whole new busines world out there, April 14, 2014
If you are doing the same things that you’ve always done in the same way you have always done them then you are doomed to failure says author Diana Rivenburgh. The world has chances and it is your job to change with it.
In this new and exciting book Rivenburgh lists seven factors that have to be considered in order to run a successful business today and into the 21st century.
They are: disruptive innovation, economic instability, environmental degradation, increasing stakeholder power, societal upheaval, globalization and population shifts. These are the basis on which any successful business strategy and philosophy has to be based today. They have to be not only addresses but taken into serious consideration at all times.
Rivenburgh takes the reader through a series of pertinent topics from creating a compelling vision to mapping your strategic journey to designing a resilient organization to show you how to use the seven factors to these specific business disciplines.
Through carefully chosen and insightful real examples you learn how other very successful companies have gone through the process to emerge on the other side with stronger more resilient companies completely armed to face the future.
This book is not filled with theories mind you but with very real examples that illustrate and prove that these changes in the business nay the global environment are evolving and what we have to do to make sure that our companies both large and small are able to evolve along with them.
This is basically a survival manual for the 21st century written by someone who knows, someone who has spent hours interviewing company leaders taking down their real life company experiences in order to write this book and bass them on to us.
I predict that 20 years from now we will look back on this book in the same way we look back on In Search of Excellence and Megatrends today. You don’t want to miss it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6