Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Super Humanoids All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now STEM Toys & Games
Profile for Daniel B. Beaulieu > Reviews

Daniel B. Beaulieu's Profile

Customer Reviews: 86

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Daniel B. Beaulieu "Business book man" RSS Feed (Maine)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Learning to Succeed: Rethinking Corporate Education in a World of Unrelenting Change
by J. H. Wingard
Price: $23.76
61 used & new from $15.89

5.0 out of 5 stars You Never Stop Learning, September 14, 2015
You can never stop learning
It’s time we took learning seriously. For many years things in business were static enough or at least much more static that they are today so that you could go to college, get your MBA and then be set for life. When I was younger I remember being the only one in my sales staff who even read business books. Hell, I remember when business books were a rarity taking up about a foot of the book store’s shelf. Now of course we are all learning or should be.
In this new and important book by Jason Wingard he rightfully describes what it is going to take to succeed from now on. Our market places are now so dynamic that we have to institute formal learning programs to stay head of the game.
In fact the author himself is the Chief Learning Officer at Goldman Sachs one of the few companies that has adapted this new way of thinking.
Now Mr. Wingard shares with us what it is going to take to create and implement a true Learning to Succeed program in our own companies.
He takes us through a step by step chapter by chapter journey to make sure that we not only completely understand the need for an educational plan but also how it should be made up, who should run it, who should benefit by it and how to keep it going.
This is a book that is ahead of its’ time (just barely) but is providing a great blueprint for the future of doing business in this fast growing, fast changing cross cultural global economy.
I really like the way he incorporates actual cases from a number of companies from Proctor and Gamble to Sears Holdings to Comcast explaining how each of these companies handled their learning program, from implementation to sustenance and how they are faring today allowing us to learn from their challenges and successes.
This is a great book to use as a primer for developing your company’s own learning program, not s subject to be taken lightly.
Please read this book and pass it on the other leaders in your company and then get to work on your own Learning to Succeed program,

Make It Matter: How Managers Can Motivate by Creating Meaning
Make It Matter: How Managers Can Motivate by Creating Meaning

5.0 out of 5 stars Making it matter is making it work, September 13, 2015
Making it matter motivates people
Look it’s pretty straightforward isn’t it? People work harder and are much more passionate when they know that what they are doing has a purpose and a meaning and of yes what they are doing is important.
Author Scott Mautz has written a book that should be must reading for anyone in management. He works off of the principle that everyone in your organization has to know what they are working for. He tells the story of the great Physicist Richard Feynman finding himself in charge of a group of physicists and mathematicians who were lackadaisically working on some long mathematical problems. They were completely demotivated and making a lot of mistakes as a result of it. Feynman finally had enough so he went to his boss and urged to be allowed to tell his people what they were working on. His boss a fellow by the name of Oppenheimer agreed and everything changed when these scientist that they were working on the device that would ultimately end the war. Now they had a purpose, now their work had meaning and now they finally were passionate about what they were doing.
I don’t think Mautz could have used a better example of what his book is all about and how it works.
Okay we’ve got the idea now how to we implement a program “that makes it matter”? No problem, this book is chock full of plans and tools and strategies on how to effectively get that done.
From the chapter on motivating the people to fail…yes that’s right to fail. People who are not afraid to fail, succeed in the end because they will try. As opposed to who are literally paralyzed with fear about failing and thus do nothing.
He asks a series of questions that get to the heart of the matter by urging yourself and your people:
• If I knew that I wouldn’t fail would I try?
• What would take the business to another level?
• What missing accomplishment would cause me to label my life’s work incomplete?
• What can only I lead?
• What would I be proud to tell others I lead?
• What would competitors be afraid I was doing?
• What could I put in place that would outlast me
• Who do I admire for the difference they’ve made and what about then could I emulate?
A besides all of these tactics and strategies the last chapter is an actual implementation plan for making things matter in your company or organization.
This book makes a wallop. If you’re serious about taking your company to the next level and beyond pick this one up.

Leading with Cultural Intelligence: The New Secret to Success
Leading with Cultural Intelligence: The New Secret to Success
Price: $8.75

5.0 out of 5 stars A Passageway to Global Leadership, September 13, 2015
A passageway to Global Leadership
Let’s get right to it. Cultural Intelligence CQ is a measurement of your ability based on knowledge and experience to lead across cultural lines. It is the ability to communicate and lead with companies and organizations around the globe. It is having an understanding of which cultures will look you in the eye the longest and which will not look you in the eye at all. It is the ability to communicate with people in Africa as easily as with people in Nebraska. It is the ability to understand what it means to apologize in Canada as it means to apologize in China.
I was impressed with this wonderful new book by David Livermore, actually the second edition of Leading with Cultural Intelligence, full disclosure I did not read the first edition of this book so I have nothing to compare it with. The author tells us the forward that this edition is much changed from the original and I’ll take his word for it.
The timeliness of this book critical as more and more of us are doing business globally now more than ever. Truth be known I did not even think that there was a book that covered this subject until I saw this one on the shelf and even then I was not quite sure of its pertinence in my life. But once I started to read it, it all made sense. I remembered an experience I had a number of years ago when I was asked to take of the management of three electronic design service bureaus and the adaptations I had to make to communicate properly with these basically left brained people with my right approach. Being a sales manager all of my life I could see it in the eyes of the twenty or so designers I spoke to at my first meeting. They were lost, they did not know what I was talking about and they seemed to hate the very speed at which I was saying things. It was good friend of mine, actually the Design sales manager who took me aside and told me to slow it down. He told me that I was coming off as a fast talking, back slapping huckster and was just not coming across as trustworthy to these find people dealing with the fact finitely well- defined measurements of laying out printed circuit boards. I quickly realized that if I was going to lead these folks I was going to have to learn and adapt their culture if I was going to have any credibility as their leader. And they were in Pennsylvania! Never mind half way around the world.
But you get it. This is what this book is all about. Building up your CQ Cultural Intelligence so that you can successful communicate and do business with people of different cultures all over the world.
If I had had this a few years ago before I went in and spoke to my new design team I could have read David Livermore’s list of strategies when addressing an audience of non-native English speakers or in my case people of a different brain polarity.
From the book:
• Slow down. Slow down. Slow down slllllloooooooo d.o.w.n
• Use clear, slow speech. Enunciate carefully
• Avoid colloquial expressions and idioms
• Repeat important points using different words to explain the same thing
• Avoid long compound sentences
• Use visual representations
• Mix presentations with a balance of story and principles
• Hand out written summaries
• Pause more frequently
I liked this book, found it very useful and I think you will too.

Fail Fast or Win Big: The Start-Up Plan for Starting Now
Fail Fast or Win Big: The Start-Up Plan for Starting Now
by Bernhard Schroeder
Price: $15.75
61 used & new from $4.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop Aiming and start firing!, September 11, 2015
Stop aiming and start firing!
Every so often you find a book that ends up being more of a stimulant for ideas than just a book. This is one of those books. I want to call it the “Nike- Just do it” book because that’s exactly what the message is. He claims for example that business plans are a thing of the past, that they take too long to do and that they are not as effective as well as just doing it.
The business model, a short business model with the good and the bad and the ugly of just trying something is the way to go.
Schroeder gives numerous examples of entrepreneurs who gave it a go before most people would have though their new product or service was truly ready for prime time.
So many times people have a great idea but they wait too long to execute that idea, instead they spend their time writing long business plans to please those bankers who are never going to give them the funds to start the business anyway. Schroeder tells us to just get going. He says that all we need is a great story, a story that will explain exactly what we are trying to sell and how it will work.
He says the instead of a full-blown business plan all we need is what he calls The Lean Model Framework consisting the following slides:
• Company Purpose
• Product
• Business model
• Revenue Model
• Team and financials
And that is that, all you need to launch your new business.
He wants us to develop a model as soon as possible with the understanding that it will not be purpose but that it will be good enough to exemplify what the product or service should look like, enough to get someone interest in the product and thus the company.
And then again from the book
Lessons learned:
• Believe in your product, not foolishly but with common sense.
• Find ways to get things done.
• Look at alternate sources of distribution if traditional sources don’t work
• Seek out other people or companies who have the same beliefs and look for either leverage or distribution opportunities
Schroeder ends Chapter five with this quote:
You really don’t know if you have a company until you have created a product or service prototype and have sold it in the marketplace. That is you can’t improve a product unless you get customer feedback. And you need to move faster than potential competitors. So, create a prototype sooner rather than later.
And to that I say Amen. Now you’ll have to excuse me I’m off to start my new company.

The Hidden Leader: Discover and Develop Greatness within Your Company
The Hidden Leader: Discover and Develop Greatness within Your Company
Price: $12.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The is a leader in ewveryone, we just have to find it, September 11, 2015
There is leadership in everyone, you just have to find it!
We’ve all met them, the leaders; the ones who are outstanding at whatever level they are at in their organization. The sales rep at Best Buy who goes out of his way to make sure you buy the best computer to fit your needs, even it means a smaller sale for the company. Or the car rental agent at Enterprise who takes the time to tell you how to operate the Prius you are renting for the first time, not stopping until you know everything you need to know to drive that car safely and efficiently.
The authors describe in a simple and clear fashion the characteristics that make up a true leader at any level.
One of the first thing that struck me about this book is how accurate the authors were when it came to describing leadership characteristics, especially in people who are not really at a leadership level when it comes to their position in their own organizations. But yes we all know them, we can all spot them if we want to look hard enough.
This book is filled with tips and tools on how to find the true leaders in your organization. They give us the tell-tale characteristics to look for from great communications to honesty and integrity to assuming the authority to take the right action when that is what the situation demands.
From the book a true leaders is one who is:
• Great at face-to-face communications
• Has transparent critical thinking
• Credits others
• Provides honest and complete criticism
• And is effective and conflict resolutions.
The true leader is one who is customer purposed, not just customer service but purpose which means a much deeper understanding of the customers. Wanting to learn everything possible about a customers in order to serve them better than they have ever been served before. A true leader makes it her purpose to develop her company’s products and services in such a way that they will make her customers successful and hence unable to live without them.
The true leader takes her job very seriously at whatever level from the person whose job it is to keep the organizations physical plan clean and safe to the person who is leading the company into its next successful venture.
It’s all here. Everything you need to not only find the true leader in your organization, but in yourself as well.
Do yourself and favor and read this excellent book by Edinger and Sain.

Stronger: Develop the Resilience You Need to Succeed
Stronger: Develop the Resilience You Need to Succeed
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Every thing you need to develop the strength to succeed, September 11, 2015
Persistence is the key to success!
Attitude, persistence, resiliency and yes strength these are all the keys qualities of a person who will succeed at anything she tries. There is an old saying that goes “people don’t fail, they quit” and this is what this book is all about.
It is chuck full of inspirational true stories of people who succeeded mostly by having the strength to outlast adversity from Pat Rutherford who is the first fully functioning quadriplegic to Jim Craig the “Miracle on Ice” goalie of the US Gold Medal winning hockey team who took what he learned about life from his parents and coaches and turned it into a successful consulting business teaching others how to win by being stronger.
But this book is not just about people with inspirational stories but also it is a primer on how to become stronger, how to attain the characteristics that make people stronger and drive them to get things done. It is above all an instructional on how to become a person who strives to and then does succeed by using the methods and tools described in this book.
From the book: Harnessing the power of optimism and self-fulfilling prophecy
Fours ways you can leverage a success-building model…
• Break down large tasks into smaller and more manageable parts.
• When a task is too big ask for assistance.
• Rehearse and practice, practice, practice.
• Visualize your successes. If you can imagine it…if you can see it you can do it!

Every chapter offers pertinent advice on various versions of character development including:
The Moral Compass: Honesty, Integrity, Fidelity and Ethical Behavior

We Are Market Basket: The Story of the Unlikely Grassroots Movement that Saved a Beloved Business
Price: $6.28

5.0 out of 5 stars A business book that reads like a novel, August 3, 2015
A business book that reads like a novel
How many times does a business book read like a novel? Actually it read more like an adventure story. The kind you can’t out down so you stay up all night to read? That’s exactly what happened to me. I literally could not put this book down and read it at one sitting. By the way those of us who live in New England and shop at Market Basket enjoyed watching this story unfold over the last few years and to us this book is just icing on that cake.
This story of a billionaire Super Market chain-owning family feud between two battling cousins, two factions of the same family is also the story of two types of business owners. The first Arthur T Demoulas’ family or you might call them the “good guys” who run a business the way it should be run, based on people; the customers they serve, the people who work for them and the companies who sell to them. And how they should be treated. Thiers is s philosophy of growing a business the right way… by reinvestment. The other cousin Arthur S. wants to run the company in the old tradition of the robber barons his philosophy is to take every red cent out of the company and give it to the share-holders (of which there are only nine) and then sell the company to an international conglomerate.
Talk about a good guy white hat; bad guy black hat scenario!
Arthur S wins at first and ousts Arthur T. who is so beloved by the people who worked for him, bought from him and sold to him that they all go on strike and bring the company to a screeching halt until Arthur S. backs down and sells out to his white hatted cousin.
But hold on this is not just a great story it is also a parable of sorts filled with great examples of the way to run and grow a successful business…and yes alas how not to.
This is the best and yes most exciting (how often can you say that?) business book that I’ve read in a long time.
I can’t wait to see the movie!

Strategic Connections: The New Face of Networking in a Collaborative World
Strategic Connections: The New Face of Networking in a Collaborative World
by Anne Baber
Price: $14.94
54 used & new from $4.39

5.0 out of 5 stars You have no idea how much you need this book, July 10, 2015
You have no idea how much you need this book
Strategic Connections is about real people connecting with other real people. The book shows you how to get your head out of your screen and talk to people, nay communicate with people on a face to face basis. In some ways it is a guide book to good old fashion face to face getting to know people. They authors spend a great deal of time assisting the reader to be more authentic. To become more likeable in order to really connect with the people in your network.
From the value of using someone’s name to smiling at someone to showing you how to rate your relationships these guys are teaching genuineness and what that means.
Up to ten years ago there was more of a sincerity in our relationships. We were without the interference and false premises of web driven social media tools. Now with the onset of Facebook and Linkedin and email relationships we are rapidly losing the art of true relationships with those of us in our network and I for one feel it is time to get back to that.
There is a chapter about analyzing your contacts, ratting them to see how deep they run. From the book:
Rating your relationships:
Does my contact:
• Know me well enough to recognize me “out of context” in a new setting?
• Know that I am good at what I do…
• Respond quickly to requests from me?
• Know what kind of people can use my expertise…
• Tell me the truth, keep confidences and have my vest interest at heart.
And so on …
Let’s be honest here is someone had given me this book twenty years ago I might have found it mildly interesting; actually I might have wondered why this book was written in the first place. But not today. I know exactly why this book was written and exactly why we need this book right now. We are not really talking to one another any longer. We are so busy filtering people through social media that we don’t get to know the real people. And on a more serious note I am a consultant who coaches salespeople and the biggest challenge facing salespeople today is getting real life meetings with real live people. Everything is done on line. Buyers don’t want to take the time to see the salesperson or listen to her story. This has now come to the point where companies are no longer interacting and thus the level on communications and hence understanding between a customer and his vendor is deteriorating at a rapid pace. And that is exactly why this book is so valuable and why I am hoping that this book will sell millions of copies. The world needs to re-invent the art of people talking to people; people connecting with people and people working, playing and cooperating with one another on a true face to face basis.
I am buying copies of this book for all of my clients and I would urge you to do the same.

Sales Management (The Brian Tracy Success Library) (English and English Edition)
by Brian Tracy
Price: $9.72
56 used & new from $5.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Good things come in small packages, June 27, 2015
Good things come in small packages
I am one of those people who reads everything I can get my hands on when it comes to handling sales people. It is not only my business it is my passion. I love working with sales people helping them to perform better. True confession I have read a great number of books on sales management in the past few years and all of them were pretty good. When I took a look at my new copy of Sales Management: The Brian Tracy Success Library I was a bit skeptical for one thing it did not pass the weight test. It just did not seem big enough pack the punch that is needed to make up a great book on sales management. Fill disclosure I have read all of the books in the Tracy success library and was never bothered by their size before, in fact I liked the fact that they were small concise books but a book on sales management? This small? I had my doubts.
Man was I wrong. This little volume is filled with just about everything you need to be a great sales manager.
In a little over a 100 pages Tracy covers everything from choosing the right sales people using his “Law of Three”:
• Interview three people for the job
• Interview them at least three times
• Interview them in three different places
• Have the candidate you like interviews by three other people
Great advice that, especially for a person like me who has a tendency to “fall in love at first sight” hire fast and regret it later. I even wrote this one down.
There is also a lot in this book about training, and I good intense training, training that is ongoing:
Quoting Tracy: You cannot expect people to get any specific result if you have trained them thoroughly in exactly what they need to do to achieve that result.
In one part of the bool Tracy talks about the Seven Key Areas in Selling:
• Prospecting
• Establishing Rapport and Trust
• Identifying needs accurately
• Presenting persuasively
• Answering objections effectively
• Closing the sale
• Getting resales and referrals
One of the most important chapters in the book is the one called: Four Keys to Building Salespeople:
• Unconditional positive regard: (Summary): Concentrating on what they do well.
• Physical contact: (Summary): Just a touch of the persons hand when making a point develops trust.
• Eye contact: (Summary): Eye contact fills the person’s emotional tank.
• Focused attention: (Summary): Listen attentively; pause before replying; question what the person is saying.
There is even a chapter on firing sales people that don’t work out, which I found informative and valuable. As those of us who have been there know the most stressful part of a sales manager’s job is firing people. As Tracy says, if you cannot let go of poor performers, you will eventually be replaced by someone who can. And then quotes the great Peter Drucker who wrote, a manager who keeps an incompetent person in place is himself incompetent and does not deserve the position of manager.
In the last chapter Tracy talks about what he calls “The vital quality of success…courage”
You have within yourself the ability to become one of the great sales managers of your generation. When you practice these tools, techniques, and ideas, you will get better and better. Your sales force will become better, stronger and more capable of getting sales results. You will achieve all of your goals in your business life.

Be Your Customer's Hero: Real-World Tips & Techniques for the Service Front Lines

5.0 out of 5 stars A much needed new book on customer servce, June 25, 2015
Book Recommendation
From: Dan Beaulieu
Be Your Customer’s Hero: Real World Tips & Techniques for the Service Front Lines
By Adam Toporek