Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Fidlar $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Deal of the Day
Profile for Daniel B. Beaulieu > Reviews

Browse

Daniel B. Beaulieu's Profile

Customer Reviews: 80

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Daniel B. Beaulieu "Business book man" RSS Feed (Maine)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
We Are Market Basket: The Story of the Unlikely Grassroots Movement that Saved a Beloved Business
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A business book that reads like a novel, August 3, 2015
A business book that reads like a novel
How many times does a business book read like a novel? Actually it read more like an adventure story. The kind you can’t out down so you stay up all night to read? That’s exactly what happened to me. I literally could not put this book down and read it at one sitting. By the way those of us who live in New England and shop at Market Basket enjoyed watching this story unfold over the last few years and to us this book is just icing on that cake.
This story of a billionaire Super Market chain-owning family feud between two battling cousins, two factions of the same family is also the story of two types of business owners. The first Arthur T Demoulas’ family or you might call them the “good guys” who run a business the way it should be run, based on people; the customers they serve, the people who work for them and the companies who sell to them. And how they should be treated. Thiers is s philosophy of growing a business the right way… by reinvestment. The other cousin Arthur S. wants to run the company in the old tradition of the robber barons his philosophy is to take every red cent out of the company and give it to the share-holders (of which there are only nine) and then sell the company to an international conglomerate.
Talk about a good guy white hat; bad guy black hat scenario!
Arthur S wins at first and ousts Arthur T. who is so beloved by the people who worked for him, bought from him and sold to him that they all go on strike and bring the company to a screeching halt until Arthur S. backs down and sells out to his white hatted cousin.
But hold on this is not just a great story it is also a parable of sorts filled with great examples of the way to run and grow a successful business…and yes alas how not to.
This is the best and yes most exciting (how often can you say that?) business book that I’ve read in a long time.
I can’t wait to see the movie!

Strategic Connections: The New Face of Networking in a Collaborative World
Strategic Connections: The New Face of Networking in a Collaborative World
by Anne Baber
Price: $14.23
62 used & new from $6.33

5.0 out of 5 stars You have no idea how much you need this book, July 10, 2015
You have no idea how much you need this book
Strategic Connections is about real people connecting with other real people. The book shows you how to get your head out of your screen and talk to people, nay communicate with people on a face to face basis. In some ways it is a guide book to good old fashion face to face getting to know people. They authors spend a great deal of time assisting the reader to be more authentic. To become more likeable in order to really connect with the people in your network.
From the value of using someone’s name to smiling at someone to showing you how to rate your relationships these guys are teaching genuineness and what that means.
Up to ten years ago there was more of a sincerity in our relationships. We were without the interference and false premises of web driven social media tools. Now with the onset of Facebook and Linkedin and email relationships we are rapidly losing the art of true relationships with those of us in our network and I for one feel it is time to get back to that.
There is a chapter about analyzing your contacts, ratting them to see how deep they run. From the book:
Rating your relationships:
Does my contact:
• Know me well enough to recognize me “out of context” in a new setting?
• Know that I am good at what I do…
• Respond quickly to requests from me?
• Know what kind of people can use my expertise…
• Tell me the truth, keep confidences and have my vest interest at heart.
And so on …
Let’s be honest here is someone had given me this book twenty years ago I might have found it mildly interesting; actually I might have wondered why this book was written in the first place. But not today. I know exactly why this book was written and exactly why we need this book right now. We are not really talking to one another any longer. We are so busy filtering people through social media that we don’t get to know the real people. And on a more serious note I am a consultant who coaches salespeople and the biggest challenge facing salespeople today is getting real life meetings with real live people. Everything is done on line. Buyers don’t want to take the time to see the salesperson or listen to her story. This has now come to the point where companies are no longer interacting and thus the level on communications and hence understanding between a customer and his vendor is deteriorating at a rapid pace. And that is exactly why this book is so valuable and why I am hoping that this book will sell millions of copies. The world needs to re-invent the art of people talking to people; people connecting with people and people working, playing and cooperating with one another on a true face to face basis.
I am buying copies of this book for all of my clients and I would urge you to do the same.

Sales Management (The Brian Tracy Success Library) (English and English Edition)
by Brian Tracy
Price: $9.72
47 used & new from $5.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Good things come in small packages, June 27, 2015
Good things come in small packages
I am one of those people who reads everything I can get my hands on when it comes to handling sales people. It is not only my business it is my passion. I love working with sales people helping them to perform better. True confession I have read a great number of books on sales management in the past few years and all of them were pretty good. When I took a look at my new copy of Sales Management: The Brian Tracy Success Library I was a bit skeptical for one thing it did not pass the weight test. It just did not seem big enough pack the punch that is needed to make up a great book on sales management. Fill disclosure I have read all of the books in the Tracy success library and was never bothered by their size before, in fact I liked the fact that they were small concise books but a book on sales management? This small? I had my doubts.
Man was I wrong. This little volume is filled with just about everything you need to be a great sales manager.
In a little over a 100 pages Tracy covers everything from choosing the right sales people using his “Law of Three”:
• Interview three people for the job
• Interview them at least three times
• Interview them in three different places
• Have the candidate you like interviews by three other people
Great advice that, especially for a person like me who has a tendency to “fall in love at first sight” hire fast and regret it later. I even wrote this one down.
There is also a lot in this book about training, and I good intense training, training that is ongoing:
Quoting Tracy: You cannot expect people to get any specific result if you have trained them thoroughly in exactly what they need to do to achieve that result.
In one part of the bool Tracy talks about the Seven Key Areas in Selling:
• Prospecting
• Establishing Rapport and Trust
• Identifying needs accurately
• Presenting persuasively
• Answering objections effectively
• Closing the sale
• Getting resales and referrals
One of the most important chapters in the book is the one called: Four Keys to Building Salespeople:
• Unconditional positive regard: (Summary): Concentrating on what they do well.
• Physical contact: (Summary): Just a touch of the persons hand when making a point develops trust.
• Eye contact: (Summary): Eye contact fills the person’s emotional tank.
• Focused attention: (Summary): Listen attentively; pause before replying; question what the person is saying.
There is even a chapter on firing sales people that don’t work out, which I found informative and valuable. As those of us who have been there know the most stressful part of a sales manager’s job is firing people. As Tracy says, if you cannot let go of poor performers, you will eventually be replaced by someone who can. And then quotes the great Peter Drucker who wrote, a manager who keeps an incompetent person in place is himself incompetent and does not deserve the position of manager.
In the last chapter Tracy talks about what he calls “The vital quality of success…courage”
You have within yourself the ability to become one of the great sales managers of your generation. When you practice these tools, techniques, and ideas, you will get better and better. Your sales force will become better, stronger and more capable of getting sales results. You will achieve all of your goals in your business life.

Be Your Customer's Hero: Real-World Tips & Techniques for the Service Front Lines
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A much needed new book on customer servce, June 25, 2015
Book Recommendation
From: Dan Beaulieu
6/25/15
Be Your Customer’s Hero: Real World Tips & Techniques for the Service Front Lines
By Adam Toporek
Copyright 2015Amacom
Price $17.95
Pages: 244 and Index
A much needed new book on customer service
Even though there are plenty of books on customer service these days I find this one to be particularly ground breaking and that is because the author Adam Toporek gets right to the heart of the problem. And yes he does it openly and honestly.
No the customer is not always right he admits while teaching us how to get our point across while making the customer feel that he is right.
In fact the chapter ten called all customers are irrational he points out that most of the time customer don’t really know what they want. He notes that even though yes, customers are irrational, they are predictably irrational. It is up to us those who sell to them to figure out their individual needs and meet them.
Another chapter I found helpful was chapter 39 when he talks about being your customers’ detective. Whatever a customer wants find it for her, not matter what it is whether you sell it or not, find it for her. Remember that your job is to provide your customers with what they need at all times. Remember that story about Nordstrom’s taking back a set of snow tires even though of course they did not sell tires? Man I hope that story is true. But the point is that we are still telling that story, I have read that story in many books and articles and it makes the point doesn’t it.
And finally one great example from the book and probably the most important is in chapter 40 when Mr. Toporek advises us to never talk badly about customers…to customers. I say a bog giant Amen to that. Actually I’ll add that you should never ever talk bad about your customers period never mind just to customers, which leads me to the very most important advice in the entire book and that is that customer service starts at the top. It starts with the owner and goes all the way through the organization. The last thing you want to do if you are a company leader is talk bad about a customer. Because you are the leader of the company everything you say is multiplied by ten and if you start knocking you customers you are giving all of your associates tacit approval to follow your lead and join in the “we hate the customers” dance. That last thing you want. Customer service is not just the responsibility of your customer service people but rather it belongs to all of us in the company…all of us.
Great subject, great book read it and learn.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2015 4:10 PM PDT

Whoever Tells the Best Story Wins: How to Use Your Own Stories to Communicate with Power and Impact
Price: $10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, It truly is all about the story, June 24, 2015
Yes, it truly is all about the story
Stories sell. Stories are what get your point across. They are the very best way to communicate with your customers, with your employees and just about everyone else you want to communicate with.
Stories are engaging. They are dramatic, they are interesting and they are memorable. Tell a good story to someone and they will remember it forever.
What would you rather do, look at charts full of facts and figures about a company or listen to that company’s story.
Years ago Sixty Minutes creator wrote a book called Tell me a Story, which of course was about the show Sixty Minutes and how it came to be so successful. The reason was of course that every Sunday the program tells three or four stories in such and engaging way that for almost forty years viewers have been coming back for more.
On this new book by story expert Annette Simmons you will learn how to tell a story, how to choose the right story to tell to deliver the right message and most importantly how to tell your own stories.
She demonstrates how stories bring everything to life. That your entire persona can be defined by your stories. Ms. Simmons breaks it down to how the right stories are appropriate for the right situations. She categorizes the types of stories with examples of the:
• Who-I-Am stories
• Why-I-Am-Here stories
• Teaching stories
• Vision stories
• Value-In-Action stories
• I-Know-What- You-Are Thinking stories
And then in each chapter she describes the variations of these stories from talking about you to using a book or movie or something from real life to exemplify this particular type of story.
Look, we like in a content world. Content is the new currency and there is not better content than personal content in the form of our own stories. The thing I found so helpful about this book was that as I was reading each chapter about a different type of story I was inspired to dig into my own life and find an appropriate personal story for that story category. It was a truly useful read.
So whether you are in sales and want to tell your company’s story, or you are an teacher or an industry leader or a coach or a parent or anyone who wants to effectively communicate with someone else through your stories…this is the very best way to not only learn how to do it if you’re not comfortable doing it yet or honing your skills if you have been a storyteller all of your life. The time of content is here. The time of content through stories is here and the time for this book is here. Pick it up and start telling your story.

Quick Team-Building Activities for Busy Managers: 50 Exercises That Get Results in Just 15 Minutes
by Brian Cole Miller
Price: $10.90
45 used & new from $10.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Brian Cole Miller takes all of the work out of coming up with team building activities, June 23, 2015
Miller has taken all the work out of team-building activities.
The best part of this book is what it is not. If you use and yes the proper term is use, not simply read but actually use this book you will not find any of that horrid “touchy feely” stuff that usually comes with team-building exercises. As Miller states:
“Relax, you will not find any of these types of activities here:
NO “fish bowl” activities in which only a few participants are actually involved while everyone else watches and critiques them.
NO role plays where participants are given a fictitious role to act our or pretend
NO demonstrations in which the leader makes a point by demonstrating something while all the participants merely watch and then discuss.
NO outdoor activities requiring large areas, nice weather and physically fit participants.
NO handouts to prepare, copy, or distribute.
No: touchy-feely activities in which participants have to touch each other a lot or share intimate thoughts and feelings…
No none of those exercises that seem to have designed merely for the entertainment of the facilitators.
Instead these 50 useful and very pertinent exercises are designed to fit the normal grown-up business world where serious grown-ups come to learn something.
Each activity is laid out so that the facilitator will have a complete understanding as to the purpose of the activity and can pass in that pertinence to the group.
Each activity is outlined as follows:
This is… which explains exactly what the activity is
The purpose is… tells what the purpose of or objective of the activity is.
Use this when…Gives you clues you should look for that will tell you if this is the right activity for the purpose you and your team are thinking about.
Materials you’ll need…
Here’s how…outlines step-by-step how to conduct the activity
For example…Illustrates how the activity might play out so that you have a good sense of what to expect on each one.
Ask these questions…list the best questions to ask…
Tips to success…includes things that will help you run the activity more effectively.
Try these variations…offers tips for adjusting the activity for groups that meet electronically because the participants cannot be in the same physical location.
I don’t know about you but I have run many sales meetings and the most challenging thing in running those meetings was coming up with activities that were not silly or demeaning for my sales people to take part in.
Here is an example of one of the activities that I found particularly useful:
This is called “Listen Up” which is designed to test your participants listening skills, something we all need to work. In this exercise the participants pair up and one them randomly chooses a pre written topic card and proceeds to tell her partner her views on that topic for three minutes. Then the listener has to give a one minute recap of what he heard. Then the reverse roles and repeat. Full disclosure I tried this with one of my groups recently and it worked very well. In fact to make it more interesting I followed the author’s advice and chose controversial topics. One was the current political animosity on this country and the other was same sex marriage…we had a lot of fun to say the least.
The activities are segmented into categories so their easy to find based on your own needs. Some of the segments are: Communicating; getting to know each other and Teamwork.
There is also a chapter on what can go wrong where the author teaches how to check out your team members even down to their eye contact and body motions to see if they are getting it or not then he discusses how to handle those who are not.
Okay you get it. This is the one book on team building activities that I am going to use from now on and I would urge you to do the same.

The Scorecard Solution: Measure What Matters and Drive Sustainable Growth
The Scorecard Solution: Measure What Matters and Drive Sustainable Growth
Price: $18.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally its about time, June 22, 2015
It’s about time for a book on this subject
Many years ago I learned the adage that goes “it you can measure it you can improve it” and I have tried to live by that for many years. I have done my best to come up with charts and graphs and dash boards and daily, weekly, monthly and yearly reports to help me do that measuring. Some of them worked and well some of them didn’t but I kept on trying. I just wished I’d had Dan King’s fine book all those years ago.
This is the one book on the subject that really hits home. The “scorecards he has developed are right on the money. The playbook he shows the reader how to develop is the most effective demonstration of measuring and modeling that I have seen.
“The truth unveiled by the scorecard translates into great power for s leader. Simply knowing where the business resides on the organizational Prowess scale will give you confidence to act. You’ll also know what to act on and how to prioritize your actions.”
The scale King is referring to is the scale he developed that when measured properly reflects the four levels of organizational competence:
Agile: 80 to 100 points - Your Company has the enviable speed to market, a culture of innovation, and exceeds financial targets.
Resilient: 60 to 70 points - Your Company typically achieves the revenue target but overachievement is elusive. Existing capabilities make stretch goals impossible.
Vulnerable: 30 to 59 points – Your Company regularly misses financial targets, suffers talent erosion, and has minimal innovation.
Lagging: 10 to 29 points – Your Company has a passionless culture and doesn’t innovate. Without changing its survival is in doubt.
Then by evaluating the parameters, the company characteristics reflected by these scores you will have your improvement roadmap. You will know what areas to work on and what priority on which to work on them.
Mr. King then goes on to describe in clear and concise detail how to improve the company through measurement if it needs improving and how to sustain your performance if you are at the top of the scale.
He program is particularly effective when he describes how to develop the improvement implementation team, and how to motivate and lead that team to a successful future.
Speaking of the future this is a definitely a book of the future. The good news is that it is available right now.

Business Strategy (The Brian Tracy Success Library)
Business Strategy (The Brian Tracy Success Library)
Price: $3.79

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on strategy yet, June 22, 2015
The very best book of this series yet!
I found this book just at the right time. I as getting started on a new project where as luck would have it I was working with my client on developing a new strategy.
There I was surrounded by large stacks of books on developing business strategy when I spotted this small blue volume. Knowing how valuable I’ve found the other books in Brian Tracy’s Success Library I chose to pick this one up and read it first. It was a good thing I did because this had just about everything I needed to develop my client’s new strategy. From the first chapter where he talks about how young Alexander later to be known as “The Great” destroyed Darius’s much larger army and became at twenty three the leader of the world; to the chapter on how to define your company in terms of where you are today and where you want to be in five years, I literally found everything I needed to write a strategy on my own but better yet everything I needed to lead my client’s team on their search for a new, effective and comprehensive strategy that could all agree on as well.
From the book:
How to re-invent your company:
• Let go of the past
• Encourage courage
• Embrace failure
• Do the opposite
• Imagine the possibilities
• Put your-self out of business
• Reject limits
• Aim beyond
I love the set up scenario he uses to re-invent your company:
Imagine that you arrive at work one morning and your company has burned own overnight. Luckily, none of your staff members were in the building, but everything else is gone. You must now start the business from scratch. What are you going to do?
And he goes on to give you the right questions you need to ask at that point:
1. Which products and services do want to start making…and would you decide not to produce?
2. Which customers would you try to reach…and which would you decided not to win back?
3. Which employees would you take with your and which employees would you decline to keep?
Think about that…apply it to your company.
And finally five reasons to develop a strategic plan:
• To increase your return on equity
• To reposition your company
• To maximize your strengths and opportunities
• To form the basis for making action decisions now
If you’re serious about your company’s strategic planning and if you’re not we’ll then see you later because you won’t be around much longer. Pick up this little volume, the latest from The Brian Tracy Success Library

No Sweat: How the Simple Science of Motivation Can Bring You a Lifetime of Fitness
Price: $7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The mnost common sense approache to exercise and fitness, June 17, 2015
A great common sense book about fitness and exercise

Look people don’t do things they don’t want to do and they sure shooting don’t do things they hate doing; instead they do things they like to do and that is what this book is all about. This book is about fitness, well not really, it’s really a book about staying motivated to stay fit.
This is the simplest and most straightforward book about exercise that I have ever read. I think that it really appealed to me as I’m sure it will to many readers because it teaches you how to use your head to re-frame what you think about exercise and how to love it instead of hating it. The author Michele Segar a motivation and behavioral scientist demonstrates to the reader how to make moving (exercise) the most pleasant part of your day.
You’re not jogging, you’re taking a beautiful tour of your town.
You’re not exercising, you’re contributing to your over-all well-being.
Look get rid of the pain and suffering, stop looking at your exercise equipment as instruments of torture instead look at the fun you can have while running, or playing tennis or just plain doing calisthenics.
As Dr. Selig says, “Human beings are hardwired to choose immediate gratification over benefits we have to wait to receive.” And that is what this book is all about. Full disclosure I found out years ago that the best way to get me to enjoy my daily four mile walks was to add book reading to the task, and not just any book reading but those mysteries and thrillers that I just did not have time to read in my daily life. Now there are days when I can’t wait to get out there slap those earbuds on along with my sneakers and get out there. I even have had times that I have walked an extra two miles so that I could find out what happened next in the Patricia Cornwell book I was listening to. I’m sure Dr. Segal would be proud.
Get rid of all of those books on exercising and buy this one. It is really the only book you will need to start getting fit…or to do anything else you don’t like doing for that matter.

Sales Success (The Brian Tracy Success Library)
Sales Success (The Brian Tracy Success Library)
by Brian Tracy
Price: $9.95
49 used & new from $5.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great addtion to the Tracy Success Library, December 30, 2014
Another hit from the Tracy Success Library
This book is the latest addition to the Tracy Success Library. I have found all of these books very valuable and this one is no different. In fact this small volume would make an excellent addition to any sales person’s library. In only a little over 100 pages Tracy hits just about everything you need to succeed in sales.
He covers all phases of successful selling from developing an ideal customer profile, to prospecting to cold calling to making the first sales call to the sales pitch to closing the sales to keeping the customer once you have made the sale.
It’s all here in 21 easy to read and understand short chapters. Tracy gets right to the point which is what I really like about reading his books. He doesn’t feel the need to pad his pages by saying the same thing five different ways. He just gets right to the point.
Chapter seventeen which is about closing the sale has the best advice I’ve seen yet about doing just that. In fact I can picture any of us reviewing this chapter in the car before going into visit that customer with your goal being to close that big order. He list five closing questions to pose to your customer on your way to making the sale.
The Preference Close: “Which if these two choices do you prefer?”
The Invitational Close: “I invite you to try it out for a week.”
The Directive Close: “Okay then the next step is…”
The Authoritative Close: “Just sign here and I’ll take care of the details.”
The Secondary Close: “When would you like to take delivery?”
So if you are in sales you need this book. If you know someone in sales they need this book. It will be the best money you’ve spent on your career this year.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8