Profile for Daniel B. Beaulieu > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 70

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Daniel B. Beaulieu "Business book man" RSS Feed (Maine)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Evergreen: Cultivate the Enduring Customer Loyalty That Keeps Your Business Thriving
by Noah Fleming
Price: $21.28
27 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Customer rentention and loyalty for the 21st century, December 19, 2014
Customer retention for the 21st century
Maybe I like this book because I agree so wholeheartedly with the author. In fact one of the selling points of my consulting company is that I can grow your business by ten percent without ever adding a new customer.
In this new book Noah Fleming shows us how to not only “mine our current customer list but to also reach back to those companies you used to do business with a re-capture some of that business as well.
By using his defined three “C” program you can pick up just about everything you need to know about customer loyalty and retention. By using the three “C”s Character: which is based on why you do what you do to Community: Created a community of customers with shared interests and needs and Content: what your company offers to your customers.
The chapters on customer loyalty are especially valuable with the author exploring and defining the various loyalty programs showing us which ones work and which do not by using real life examples from Starbucks to Delta Airlines.
The chapter of firing your customers is worth the price of the book. Knowing which customers to fire and why and how is invaluable. Basically this gets down to a few categories from those customers who take up the most time and have the least profit margin to those unhappy customers who will just never be happy no matter what you do. The real life example of how Amazon deals with unhappy customers is telling to say the least.

Behind Every Good Decision: How Anyone Can Use Business Analytics to Turn Data Into Profitable Insight
Price: $15.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Explaining Data to a Right-Brained person, December 7, 2014
I'm Happy I decided to read this book
Look I have a confession to make: I never read books that have the word "Analytics" in the title. I hate that word and everything it means. As a completely right brained person I have no use for charts, numbers and graphics. I am completely focused on people and ideas and dedicated to the philosophy that with the right ideas and the right motivation a passionate person can do anything even things that analytics can prove that she should not be able to do. Please refer to the Bumblebee and aviation.
Okay whew, not that that's out of my system let's go on to why I did break my rules and read this book with the "A" word in the title. I thumbed through it, did my chart and graphic test and found there weren't too many. Checked out the introduction and found words like "clear", "simple" and "easy to use" and thought "well this is the book for me. I had looked at a number books explaining how to work with big data and was half asleep before I put them back on the shelf. But for some reason this one seemed different. I liked those words "simple and easy" So I decided to give this one a try. And I'm glad I did.
This is truly the bog date book for dummナ.er I mean right-brain people. The authors have done a great of taking all of the mystery, and heaviness out of the subject of analyzing data. I particularly like the chapter that talked explained BADIR (Business Questions, Analysis Plan, Collection, Insights, Recommendation) I got it I understood finally how this all worked.
The thing I found most useful about the book was the way the authors guided me through implementation and how to make all of this work. They explain how to impact the organization in just 90 days by driving the organization into the right direction. They go into specific detail right down to the type of person to have on the team focused on getting things done in 90 days.
This book did have some charts for certain but they were simple and elegant enough for a person like me to understand, to "get".
There are many books on data out there right now but to my thinking this is the best for right-brain thinkers like yours truly. If you really want to know everything about Analytics but were very afraid to ask, this is the one book for you. This is the one that does for analytics and big data manipulation what Carl Sagan did for the Cosmos.
Don't be afraidナpick this one up and read it. And then you'll know.

Primal Teams: Harnessing the Power of Emotions to Fuel Extraordinary Performance
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Harnessing Emotions to imporve your business, December 1, 2014
Harnessing Emotions to imporve your business
After years of business being based on emotionless company dedication. Years when companies like Sgt. Friday wanted “the facts…just the facts” we have finally reached the time when people in companies are realizing that people’s emotions can be used as a vital fulcrum to a company achieving its goals and driving it to levels of success well beyond its dreams.
In this new book worthy of business in the 21syt century primal emotion consultant Jackie Barretta puts her well founded theories to work. She shows the reader how to use emotional stimulation to get the most out of their associates.
Think about this for a minute, if you can create an environment where people get excited nay passionate about what they are doing. If you can get them to believe with their heart and soul as well as their minds in your company’s goal they will follow you to the ends of the earth to make sure that your company becomes number one. This only makes sense.
Barrette uses some real life examples to show how this has worked out with companies in the past. Citing examples from world class companies like Apple, Google and IBM she proves without a doubt that allowing teams to bring in their emotions, their passions and their life goals and incorporating them into every day operations has lifted teams way beyond the normal levels on inspired involvement.
This is a book on the future available today. If you are ready to get into 21st century motivational management where you use your associate’s best passions to drive their own performances as well as the company’s this is the book to read.
People are always at their best when they believe. Anything can happen when people believe that it can happen. Jackie Barretta has made a living showing people how to do just that. Now you can learn from her and apply these strategies to your company as well.
A fantastic deal for twenty five bucks.

True Alignment: Linking Company Culture with Customer Needs for Extraordinary Results
Price: $16.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing the customer to the table, November 30, 2014
Bringing your customer to the table
The best way to succeed in business is to listen to your customers and then give them what they want, or what they need or both or better yet give them what they are going to need tomorrow and the day after that.
True Alignment focuses on doing just that, but doing it as a company and you’ve got to love that. The author Edgar Papke talks about focusing on the customer in terms of what the customer’s motivation is; identifying what the customer really wants; understanding the customer’s culture and then taking that information and aligning your company’s focus exactly on those things. In other words make sure that everyone in your company understands your customers so well that all of their energies is focused on giving that customer what he wants.
Sounds simple enough doesn’t it? But we all know that it’s not. We all know that in many companies the feeling is that they “would do just fine if it wasn’t for having to deal with those darn customers” while forgotten that it is those same “darn customers” who pay the bills.
Although the author talks about “alignment” what he is really talking about is “vision” creating a corporate vision that is so clear, so strong and so focused that everything that everyone in the company does is completely customer-centric.
In a world where we are not only competing with juts those companies ion our market but with companies globally we need to be able to stand out among the very best. Our customers are comparing us to the Disney’s, the Apple’s, the Nordstrom’s and the L.L. Beans and we have to be able to stand up to that scrutiny because anything less is unacceptable.
And that is why we need to be reading, nay studying books like True Alignment making them our bibles when it comes to how to create and enforce that ever-demanding customer-centric culture which is of course the only means of not only survival but extraordinary success in business today.
A very impressive book based on an even more impressive strategic direction.

A Team of Leaders: Empowering Every Member to Take Ownership, Demonstrate Initiative, and Deliver Results

5.0 out of 5 stars Teams; The Key to the future, November 29, 2014
Teams: the key to the future
A lot of changes have occurred in the workplace in the past twenty fives year. There have been great efforts made to increase productivity. Companies have all been hit with so many financial challenges that their people have been stretched to the limit when it comes to being able to take a breath, coordinate with their follow workers and all come together as a team with common goals. People are wearing many hats, while handling two and three jobs covering for those former fellow employees who were downsized during the recent recession. So many times this kind of working environment has led to the formation of individual silos where workers do their own thing looking only forward and never left or right to their compatriots. To say that the results have been near disastrous is still an understatement.
The time to bring leaders together into cohesive, cooperative management teams has never been better. In fact if we don't start working as teams we are doomed to mediocrity.
This is what this new book by Gustavson and Liff, A Team of Leaders is so important.
As the authors tell us the conditions of the past few years have brought us to the brink of the lowest productivity levels in history with most managers operating at a sub 30% productivity level! This means that most of the time most managers are just spinning their wheels trying to raise above the bureaucratic gorilla dust that has been thrown up in recent years.
But now there is hope. As a management consultant I read this book with great anticipation as I also have been severely affected by the loss of productivity the extent that it has gotten more difficult than ever to execute management change with my clients when the very act of getting managers to left their heads long enough to meet in the same room at the same time has become a challenge.
But his book answered many of my questions. From the first chapter when the author start their unique team development model outlining a step-by step process from team evaluation to how to start up high performance teams they had me.
Chapter after chapter they take you through all of the necessary steps for building very effective teams, they focus on team leaders, team membership and team processes.
From the book's Five Stage Team Development Model
" Align the team's structure and core information systemsナ
" Identify and strengthen processes that support a team of leadersナ
" Enable team members to fully graspナsignificance of what they contribute every dayナ
" Tap into the power of "Visual Management"ナ
" Create a team-wide sense of engagement in teamwork while improving individual performanceナ
I have a read a number of team building books this year and I rank this one at the very top. The only advice I can give you is to not only buy and read this book but also buy enough copies for all of your teams. That only makes sense.

The Art of Social Selling: Finding and Engaging Customers on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Other Social Networks
by Shannon Belew
Price: $16.55
67 used & new from $2.61

5.0 out of 5 stars The Offical Social Media Playbook, November 28, 2014
The official social media playbook
This is the one book you're going to need to make your way through the new world order of social media. IN this book author Shannon Belew covers all of the basic principles you need to not only learn about each type of social media but how to get proficient at it as well.
Look it's time to stop arguing about whether or not social media is here to stayナit is here to stay. It is time to stop wondering about its' valueナit is valuable. It's time to stop being baffled or worse overwhelmed by the very idea of social media. Social media is not only here to stay but it is time to learn it, to embrace it and to incorporate all facets of it into your everyday corporate sales life. Okay? Got it? Good now that we've come passed that pick this book up and start reading it because this is your blueprint to for the social media world.
Ms. Belew has written as clear and concise on each genre of social media from Facebook to Google and from Twitter to Linkedin so that this is a dictionary/encyclopedia of what all of this is about. She explains it all to the reader in a way is very easy to understand. And once she has done that she teaches you how to manage each of these individual facets of social media from how to create the right content to branding your product and your company with as she says being called a "Pusher" or heaven forbid a "Lurker" and if you don't know what those things areナthen you should be a at the front of the line when it comes to getting your hands on this book.
It's your choice you can hang back there into the twentieth century or you can join us here in the twenty first century and read this book.
Oh and one more thing whatever you do, make sure that you read this one all the way to the end so that you can take advantage of the case studies at the back of the book giving real life examples of who some companies have made this all work. Read and learn from themナ these alone are worth the twenty bucks you're paying for the book.

Amp Up Your Sales: Powerful Strategies That Move Customers to Make Fast, Favorable Decisions
by Andy Paul
Price: $13.95
52 used & new from $9.96

5.0 out of 5 stars The right book for the right times, November 17, 2014
The right book for the right times
This guy has it right. Things are different now and if you don’t modify and I mean drastically modify your approach to sales you are going to lose out.
The premise is that it’s not what you sell but how you sell it. It’s all about the how, it’s all about the process you use to sell your products.
In short with so many similar products out there the buyer has a hard time telling the difference and that creates a dangerous situation where she will either buy on price or just buy passively because in her brain she’s thinking, “what difference does it make they are all the same?”
So according to Andy Paul it is up to us the sales people to make that difference. It is up to us to develop a sales technique that will make the buyer differentiate because of us. The buyer will buy from the sales person and there you get to the “how” that person sells.
Mr. Paul spends the rest of the book telling the reader in very clear, concise and easy to understand ways how to do that. He teaches us how to:
• Simplify our selling by pointing out that selling simple…not easy but simple.
• Speeding up responsiveness…this making it as easy as possible for the buyer to buy from us.
• Maximizing the value we bring to the buyer.
• Growing through follow-up
• Telling stories that sell
• Great customer service brings in follow-on business.
Every so often a sales book comes along that just works. That just hits that proverbial nail right dead on the head. And for me at this this was that book.
So if you are looking for a way to “Amp Up” your sales this is the book for you.
Check it out.

Targeted: How Technology is Revolutionizing Advertising and the Way Companies Reach Consumers
Price: $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Man, do we need this book!, November 9, 2014
I don’t know about you but this is one book that I am going to keep by my side for at least the last couple of years. The simple reason for that is that this is the one book I have come across that explains to me in plain and clear language just how this whole on line advertising game works.
What do you know about bidding for your advertising space?
What do you know about targeting the right customers and then closing those customers?
What do you about making money from your on-line ads?
What do you know about paid searches?
If you’re like me I didn’t know much…but now I do and just by reading this excellent new book by Mike Smith who has spent most of his career dealing in Digital Communications brings his years of experience to this book so that the rest of us can benefit from his knowledge.
I cannot say enough about how much this book has helped me to find my way to this completely confusing and I think anyway mine field scary world of digital advertising.
Here are just a couple of examples you’ll learn by reading this book:
• How to handle on-line ad bidding (this one alone will save you many times the price of this book).
• How to make your message stand out in this wild west of digital advertising
• The best way to sell taking advantage of social media on tablets, and smart phones.
This is the one book that you have to buy and read this year if you are serious about your sales effort going forward.

Creativity & Problem Solving (The Brian Tracy Success Library)
Creativity & Problem Solving (The Brian Tracy Success Library)
Price: $3.79

5.0 out of 5 stars A great bargain for priceless ideas, October 27, 2014
Creativity and Problem Solving

We are all geniuses according to Brian Tracy, with the proper training we can all come up with new and exciting ideas to improve our companies and our lives. In his new small but very powerful and thought provoking book Tracy shows how we can put our minds to work thinking and coming up with new ideas.
In one chapter he writes about the seven sources of innovation and how these sources promote creative thinking: Here are a few examples to whet your appetite:
The Unexpected Event: When something happens a problem or an opportunity that makes us think that much harder, focusing on this new issue to overcome the challenge or take advantage of the opportunity. He demonstrates this by showing us how Peter Omidyar wanting to sell his large Pez candy dispenser collection realized that there was not good auction site he could go to son he created E-Bay.
Process Need: When you need to improve process or technology to overcome an industry challenge, like when Tom Monaghan wanted to know why pizzas could not be delivered in less than thirty minutes and found a unique process change to make it happen.
Demographic Changes: Think of all the news products that are being developed as the baby boomers enter retirement age. This is a perfect example of demographic changes.
Tracy encourages us via 21 short but pertinent chapters to use our minds to solve our problems.
What I like about this book is that you cannot but spend four or five minutes reading it and your mind starts to whir with new insights and ideas. The book is just crammed full of what I would call mind triggers designed to make you think and create. He spends time talking about “Mindstorming Method” how they should be run, how many people should participate and how long is long enough for these to be effective.
There are other chapters on
• The roots of creativity
• Developing the qualities of genius
• Mind developing exercises
And many more. This a great bargain when you think of converting a mere ten bucks into priceless ideas.

A World Gone Social: How Companies Must Adapt to Survive
A World Gone Social: How Companies Must Adapt to Survive

5.0 out of 5 stars The one social media book you need to read, October 25, 2014
Its Official Social Media is here to Stay
This is the best book I’ve read to date on the subject of social media. In fact reading this makes me realize as the authors say that social media is not a fad, it is not something that is going away but rather it is not only here to stay but becoming one of the most important and game changing factors in business today.
When a YouTube video can go viral so that millions of people are seeing it in a matter of days. When a group of disgruntled airline customers can bring a major airline to thei9r knees, when a group of Bank of America customers can make that austere granite institution change its policies in a matter of days, when an old NBA team owner gives his girlf…excuse me archivist advice on who she should be friends with leads to him having to sell them team and leave the NBA in disgrace that’s when you know that social media is not only here to stay but is also making a huge dent in the world as we know it. Then you know that it is time for a book like A World Gone Social.
This book not only lists example and example of how social media is rocking our world but more importantly it shows us how to deal with it. It teaches us how to successfully incorporate social media into our business as well. It shows us how to use it to our advantage and even how to determine, get this the return on investment of our social media. No one has done that before. No one has helped us to figure out how we make money from social media… until now.
If you are and old…well let’s just say seasoned and experienced business person like I am this is the book that explains it all, from Cloud Computing to Big Data this is the book to bring you us up to date on what exactly is going on in the world around us, this new social media universe.
If you want to not only keep up but thrive in this new universe this is the one book you need to buy, read and keep by your side. Get it, read it and catch up to the millennials in your office. It’s a great investment.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7