Profile for perribear > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

"perribear" RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA USA)

10 Stupid Things Couples Do to Mess Up Their Relationships
10 Stupid Things Couples Do to Mess Up Their Relationships
by Laura Schlessinger
292 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Helpful, December 31, 2001
Okay, I'll admit upfront that I'm a gay woman and listen to Dr. Laura's show on the radio. I agree with some of what she says, and disagree with a whole lot, but knew that I would learn something from this book. Despite my disagreements with her politically, she's always been right on with issues about relationships, and this book really nails some of the more serious issues every couple faces, including gay couples. The issues she confronts are really universal--"Stupid Secrets," "Stupid Pettiness," "Stupid Power," etc., and really helped to shed light on the issues I'm facing in my relationship. One of the great things about Dr. Laura's style is that she puts her opinions right up in front and you can take it or leave it. I found I'm taking most of her advice from this book. I highly recommend it even if your relationship is going really well right now. You'll need to have this information if (when!) things get tough further down the road. Be prepared!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2010 5:57 PM PDT

The New Thought Police: Inside the Left's Assault on Free Speech and Free Minds
The New Thought Police: Inside the Left's Assault on Free Speech and Free Minds
by Tammy Bruce
146 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Life Populism and Honesty, October 23, 2001
You've got to read this book. I live in Chicago and first heard about Tammy Bruce during the O.J. Simpson trial in Los Angeles. I'm not a feminist but I really appreciated her zeal about making sure domestic violence wasn't overshadowed by Simpson's "dream team" talk of racism. With this book I have found out why I liked her in the first place--she cuts through all the nonsense about social issues put out by the left, like multiculturalism and hate crimes. And, as a Dr. Laura fan, I was thrilled to see a chapter devoted to the true story behind the gay groups attacks on her. I've been waiting for someone to stand up for Dr. Laura. Bruce does a great job exposing the gay groups real agenda.
In general, that's what makes this book so good--Bruce comes from the inside and has some pretty surprising stories about what the Left "establishment" as she terms it, is really like. But be prepared--this book is not just a political attack--I reads more like a manifesto about true progressive politics and radical individualism, their importance and how we can improve our lives by trusting ourselves and our intentions as Americans. At the same time, it was fun, had great humor, real life stories and all the while educated me politically. What a dream.
I also particularly liked her chapter about what it was really like in NOW, and their double-standards. Probably the most surprising thing she reveals is that NOW took money from the Clinton administration during the Jones and Lewinsky scandals (which finally made clear to me why they were so hypocritical about sexual harassment when it came to Bubba).
You might not agree with everything she writes, but after reading this book I'm looking at everything just a little bit differently, even with more personal confidence and optimism.
This is a great read, I learned stuff, enjoyed it and rediscovered someone who is sorely needed in the political world. This book should put Tammy Bruce back on the political map. I highly recommend it.