Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Fire TV Stick Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for Jeff > Reviews

Browse

Jeff's Profile

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeff "jeffnwill" RSS Feed (McKinleyville CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Role
The Role
Price: $6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great look behind the curtain, April 24, 2016
This review is from: The Role (Kindle Edition)
I'm a major theatre geek so I was excited to read this and I wasn't disappointed. I loved getting in to the audition and rehearsal process with Mason. Seeing his co-star (and former crush) Kevin, the director Merchant and Mason's boyfriend Eric fleshed out was great as well. In particular the push and pull of power between Merchant, Kevin and Mason was fascinating (and sometimes difficult) to read. I'll admit I was furious with some of the characters more than once, but everything that happened made sense in the context of the story--and didn't seem too far out to believe it could actually happen. I look forward to seeing what comes next from this new author.

NOTE: I receive a free ebook for an honest review for "Jeff & Will's Big Gay Fiction Podcast."

The Fire Went Wild (Home is a Fire)
The Fire Went Wild (Home is a Fire)
by Jordan Nasser
Price: $12.95
29 used & new from $8.48

4.0 out of 5 stars The dynamics that form between Derek and Luke are surprising and adorable as they deal with family and career ramifications of ., January 17, 2016
The Fire Went Wild picks up with Derek and Luke as a more public couple. They quickly discover being out and proud is very much against the southern code of discretion. The dynamics that form between Derek and Luke are surprising and adorable as they deal with family and career ramifications of their relationship. Nasser paints what I believe, based on my own experiences in the South, to be a pretty accurate representation of what it would be like in their shoes.

This second book has a great split focus as you get to see both Derek and Luke’s relationship grow, but also many aspects of their families, friends and townspeople. It’s interesting to see who comes out on their side and who the troublemakers are. Nasser handles all the characters very well and creates a very modern look at how a small conservative town handles a very public coming out.

I look forward to finding out where this series goes next!

Home is a Fire
Home is a Fire
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Debut Novel, January 17, 2016
This review is from: Home is a Fire (Kindle Edition)
Home is a Fire is the story of Derek who is fed up with his life in NYC–including his boyfriend who he is about to marry. Derek flees the big city and returns home to Tennessee. He gets a job teaching at his old high school, reconnects with his friends who built lives for themselves there and enjoys being back home with family. His high school bully is still there too. Luke now coaches football at the high school and just seeing him raises Derek’s defenses.

Luke has changed though. More than Derek ever thought possible. Lots of other stuff has changed in Derek’s hometown, too, and Nasser weaves all this together in a terrific lighthearted way. There’s not a lot of angst here, and it all works perfectly. It’s sort of like Steel Magnolias meets Tales of the City as Derek finds out secrets he never knew as a teenager–including that the football hero has a crush on him.

So much of these books speak to me–from the Southern roots since I spent fifteen years in that environment, to the character of Derek who flees NYC because he’s had enough of that face paced city. I’m so glad I’ve been introduced to Nasser's books.

Another Day
Another Day
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Equally amazing as "Every Day", November 12, 2015
This review is from: Another Day (Kindle Edition)
It amazing to get the other side of the story from "Every Day," which is one of my all time favorite books. Discovering everything about R was a joy.

Him
Him
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, October 8, 2015
This review is from: Him (Kindle Edition)
I was introduced to Sarina Bowen with the incredible "Understatement of the Year." With "Him," Bowen and Zeppelin Kennedy have crafted a beautiful, moving story that captured me from the first chapter to the last.

Olympus ME-51S Stereo Microphone
Olympus ME-51S Stereo Microphone
Offered by Fun Fun Hobby Japan!
Price: $30.76
210 used & new from $22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, June 27, 2015
This is exactly what I needed for my GoPro Hero 4. The mic offers great pickup and has jumped the audio quality of my videos considerably. If you are using it with a GoPro, make sure you pick up a GoPro mic adapter so you'll be able to plug it in... I'd recommend some additional cable as well so you can bring the mic closer to your subjects. But, even if you let it hang next to the camera, it still offers better quality than the built in GoPro mic.

CamKix Frame Mount for GoPro Hero 4, 3+, and 3 / All Slots Fully Accessible - Light and Compact Housing - Includes a Large Thumbscrew / Tripod Mount / Rubber Lens Cap / UV Filter Lens Protector
9 used & new from $44.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Needed, June 27, 2015
It's a great skelton case, ideal for the indoor and dry weather shooting I sometimes do with my GoPro Hero 4

The Porcupine of Truth
The Porcupine of Truth
Offered by Scholastic Trade Publisher
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another outstanding book from Bill Konigsberg!, June 4, 2015
"Porcupine" is nothing short of outstanding. This is unlike Bill’s other two books and it tackles some life’s most difficult aspects, including the impact of secrets, religion and how parents impact their children. He wraps all this up in an entertaining package that had me laughing at times, angry at others, and crying more than once.

Hold Me Closer: The Tiny Cooper Story
Hold Me Closer: The Tiny Cooper Story
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Singing the Praises of the Awesome Book!, April 10, 2015
I devoured this book. I do that with David Levithan books. Which is sad in a way because it means I’m done with it way too soon. Levithan’s latest, "Hold Me Closer: The Tiny Cooper Story," was wonderful. It is exactly what the cover promises, a musical novel.
Read full review at http://www.jeffandwill.com/2015/04/10/book-review-hold-me-closer-the-tiny-cooper-story-by-david-levithan/

Ted Saves the World (Book 1)
Ted Saves the World (Book 1)
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, fun sci-fi read!, March 10, 2015
Cohen creates great characters! Ted goes form a kid who’s sort of just shuffling along with no real ambition, until he ends up putting his powers to use. His first time out is very public, so now he’s got the world saving thing to do, plus everyone wanting a piece of him. Dhiraj reminds me of the ambitious college students out of the "Social Network", eager to create a business to make some cash. Erica and Natalie could both be "Buffy" (in fact, the covers for this series makes me think of "Buffy"). The stakes run high throughout the book, which I like since it keeps you on the edge of the seat. I finished the book in record time because I had a hard time putting it down.

You can read my full review at http://bit.ly/TedReview

Page: 1 | 2 | 3