Profile for James J. Pyke > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 64

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

James J. Pyke "Pajkossy" RSS Feed (m!ch!gan)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Ultraman Character Novelty Applique Patches (Only Sewing On) (Ultraman 5)
Ultraman Character Novelty Applique Patches (Only Sewing On) (Ultraman 5)
Offered by Ziyier G & E
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars ... got two of these in the mail today sooooooo great looking I love that they do not have that ..., November 13, 2014
very excite
just got two of these in the mail today
sooooooo great looking
I love that they do not have that "iron on" coating goop on the back that never works anyway and then it just makes the patch harder to sew on because you have to punch the sewing needle through that plastic.

Evangelion Exhibition catalogs Hideaki Anno Matsuya Tokyo (japan import)
Evangelion Exhibition catalogs Hideaki Anno Matsuya Tokyo (japan import)
Offered by WIREDREAM JAPAN
Price: $71.95
11 used & new from $48.74

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best anime art books I have ever seen, October 8, 2014
One of the best anime art books I have ever seen! Because it is an exhibition catalog instead of the more common "mook" (magazine/book) style of art book, it has extremely fine quality printing with multiple paper types and excellent color reproduction, detail, etc.

The pages are dominated by production and pre-production artwork reproduced quite large. And there isn't very much text at all, so if, like me, you do not read Japanese, then you get a lot of art for your money with this one.

Also, as an exhibition catalog, it reproduces images that were clearly chosen with great care as exhibition-worthy pieces. This means that pretty much every page has a strikingly beautiful or dynamic piece of artwork - worthy of hanging on a wall or under the glass of a display case - reproduced on it.

If you are an Evangelion fan - particularly with an interest in the Rebuild movies - then you will most likely be pleased by this book.

Chef'n Stem Gem Strawberry Huller
Chef'n Stem Gem Strawberry Huller
Price: $6.64
28 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars does the job properly!, August 17, 2014
Length:: 0:11 Mins

Fantastic tool. With proper technique it makes quick, clean work of a whole lot of strawberries, and with minimal waste of the good part of the berries. Not sure how durable it will be as I just got mine yesterday, but processing 3 lbs of berries was much nicer with this than with a paring knife.

Yamaha RX-V371BL 5.1- Channel A/V Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Yamaha RX-V371BL 5.1- Channel A/V Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by superior sales
Price: $249.95
3 used & new from $150.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits my needs perfectly, August 8, 2014
Not going to say too much here as there are many other detailed reviews. Just want to say that after almost 2 years I really like this box. Completely satisfied. I have connected to it an Oppo Blu-ray deck, a Roku streaming box, a VHS deck, an LD/DVD/CD combo deck and an Asus ROG laptop. I also sometimes connect my iPod etc. to the front panel auxiliary mini jack. Oh, and a cable box that I basically never use because I don't watch sports and I prefer streaming, downloads and physical media.

The receiver is connected to one of those Viera plasma sets they sell at Costco for an ultra low price that results, in part, from the set being built with a bare minimum of inputs. The receiver takes care of that by having plenty of inputs that handle all the things I listed above.

The set up will require patience and time. I'm an AV professional, so it wasn't too bad for me. If you have difficulty with tech in general, then the setup might be more difficult for you.

I also suggest that if you have a complex, multiple device setup like mine, you should consider getting a Harmony programmable remote so that everything works together more easily for you. More patience and time there, but such efforts do pay off.

One other thing: there is a kind of buried feature that offsets the sound sync. This can be very useful if you have any discs or files that were poorly mastered with incorrect syncing of the sound. +1 to whichever engineer at Yamaha decided to add that in.

Extant, Season 1 [HD]
Extant, Season 1 [HD]
Price: $28.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not particularly subtle or nuanced IMHO, but maybe you'll like it, August 6, 2014
It's not terrible. I only watched episode one. If you have nothing else to watch, give this a try. Maybe you'll like it better than I did, but it seemed like mostly a rehash of many other SF stories from years past, plus a "twist" that just seems a little silly to me. Maybe it gets better, but the first episode felt so clunky - like they are trying to set up to much too fast.

I mean, they feed you the "twist" in the very first episode. Not just hints: they spell the whole twist out right away. How is that supposed to draw me in and generate suspense. I suppose there may be more twists to follow, but I'm not interested in staying with it to find out.

I had actually completely forgotten I had even watched it over the weekend until Amazon sent me an email asking me to rate it a few days later. So, yeah, it didn't leave a strong impression, I guess you could say.

Neon Genesis Evangelion NERV Vinyl Decal Sticker - Red
Neon Genesis Evangelion NERV Vinyl Decal Sticker - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice sticker, but apply with great caution, July 2, 2014
Very good quality. Included instruction sheet was very detailed and helped very much with proper application of sticker.

Because this particular sticker has so much very delicate text on it, I very strongly recommend that anyone purchasing it grab a toothpick to use for delicate straightening of individual letters that you might need to do. The text can easily get slightly shifted out of place during application, and as long as you follow the directions and mist the glass with water before applying the sticker, it's pretty easy to slide the letters back into place with a toothpick.

Also I want to emphasize the importance (noted in the instructions) of squeegeeing as much water as possible out before trying to lift the backing away from the sticker. Be extremely patient and pay close attention as you peel the backing away and everything should turn out fine. I'm going to upload a picture of how it turned out for me.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Insufficient Direction: Hideaki Anno X Moyoco Anno (Insuficient Direction)
Insufficient Direction: Hideaki Anno X Moyoco Anno (Insuficient Direction)
by Moyoco Anno
Price: $11.58
47 used & new from $6.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Consider why you are buying this..., June 6, 2014
If you are a fan of Moyoko Anno, then you'll probably enjoy this.

If you are a fan of Hideaki Anno, then you'll probably enjoy this.

Considered in isolation, without prior knowledge of either its author (Moyoko) or its subject (Hideaki), this book might be entirely worthless, lol.

In my opinion, tho', that's a good thing. I love how hyper-specific this book is, and if you are a [fill in the blank] as above, then you probably will too.

In Japan, I think both Annos are towering figures of popular culture, but they are not necessarily so well known here in the US.

I am so grateful to Vertical for translating and publishing this. It's a spectacular oddity.

Beautiful Fighting Girl
Beautiful Fighting Girl
by Tamaki Saitō
Price: $50.52
24 used & new from $42.95

5.0 out of 5 stars perhaps uneven, but that's forgivable considering the ground being broken here, June 6, 2014
If you are someone who, like me, is interested in thinking seriously about anime and manga, and the culture of the most intense consumers of anime and manga (the so-called "otaku")...

If you, like me, enjoy reading academic writing that crosses over into readability by an audience that is not exclusively academic...

If you, like me, are interested in thinking thoughts you haven't thought before, and seeing anime and manga from perspectives you haven't imagined before...

...then you are very likely to enjoy this book as much as I have.

I suggest reading some of the translator's introduction available via the "look inside" page for this book. If that piques your interest, you'll probably enjoy the whole thing. The author's insights are impressive, and the translation feels very clean (as opposed to "messy" like some translated texts in which the translators can't seem to decide how to fully convey the meaning of the original, so they annotate the text into a muddy mess) and is highly readable, even if the ideas sometimes take effort to fully grasp.

I'd like to read more books like this one!

Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
by Reza Aslan
Price: $15.23
263 used & new from $3.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Reza Aslan has a PhD in sociology, and his dissertation looks awesome, August 1, 2013
The main thing I want to point out to people here is that anyone with an internet connection can read Aslan's dissertation. It actually looks really fascinating and also entirely in keeping with the apparent perspective of his book on Jesus of Nazareth. In both cases it appears that, as a sociologist with a specific interest in world religion, he is working to illuminate the connections between religious movements and movements for progressive social change. It seems strange to me that something so straightforward could be controversial

Here's the link to the dissertation:

[...]

If, especially if you are someone who calls yourself a Christian, you are not interested in learning more about the history of efforts made to eliminate institutionalized inequalities between people - or worse: you think that such history should not even be investigated at all by anyone - I would be very interested to hear why not in comments to this review.

Coleman High-Pressure Propane Hose and Adapter
Coleman High-Pressure Propane Hose and Adapter
Price: $19.97
46 used & new from $15.27

5.0 out of 5 stars works well with Cuisinart CGG-200 All-Foods Portable Outdoor Tabletop Grill, July 23, 2013
There isn't really a lot you need to know, right?

It's connects quickly and easily, and, at least in my case, it works perfectly.

Just make sure that the 5' hose length will suit your needs, and that when you install it you are careful to avoid cross threading the fittings. If you don't know what cross threading means, you should Google it before buying this adapter because you're dealing with flammable/explosive gas here so you need to be careful.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7