Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Rachel Randolph > Reviews

Browse

Rachel Randolph's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Rachel Randolph RSS Feed (Dallas/Fort Worth, TX)

Dinner: A Love Story: It all begins at the family table
Dinner: A Love Story: It all begins at the family table
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, Useful, Inspiring, November 2, 2013
I ate this book up! As a list lover, food blogger, mom of young child, and writer myself, this was definitely my type of book. Jenny is a fantastic storyteller and writer. I even enjoyed reading the recipes. I can't believe I hadn't come across her blog before reading this.

I am fascinated by Jenny and her husband's commitment to making it home for dinner EVERY NIGHT and found them to be absolutely adorable. The age old question of "What's for Dinner" is part of their love story. It keeps them connected as they email each other dinner ideas and grocery lists. I'm even more fascinated by Jenny's dinner journal she's been keeping for years. I can't decide if it's genius or neurotic...but I kind of wish I had one to look back on.

This isn't a traditional cookbook, it's memoir with lots of recipes. The format makes total sense in context of the story. I highly recommend to anyone who either loves cooking or would like to make dinner time a bigger priority.

Rachel Randolph, co-author of We Laugh, We Cry, We Cook: A Mom and Daughter Dish about the Food That Delights Them and the Love That Binds Them

From Russia With Love
From Russia With Love
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet read, but not without depth, November 2, 2013
This was a sweet love story to get lost in, but wasn't without depth. I have a hard time getting into fiction books, but this one really kept my attention. Left me happy and satisfied.

The Long Awakening: A Memoir
The Long Awakening: A Memoir
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Could Not Put it Down - Better than a Novel, November 1, 2013
I could not set this down. Read it all in two days. Though it is a memoir, because this story centers around the author coming out of a coma after giving birth to her fifth child, it reads almost like a medical mystery. Like an investigative reporter, Lindsey, a former journalist, combs through the pieces of her story she was asleep for, including the first few months of her daughter's life. Accepting the loss of not only time, but also much of the way she once functioned, she then has to face life in her new post-coma normal. It's fascinating. It's vulnerable. It's extremely well-written. If you want a really good read that you can't put down, look no further, this is it.

Alphatudes: The Alphabet of Gratitude
Alphatudes: The Alphabet of Gratitude
by Michele Wahlder
Price: $12.95
29 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaches you HOW to express gratitude, rather than just telling you to be grateful, February 9, 2010
"Alphatudes: The Alphabet of Gratitude" is based on a concept of expressing gratitude in alphabetical order, but it's not just about this particular practice. It's about looking at everything in life with a grateful mindset. Michele shows how we can be grateful for simple things, such as music, and also for less obvious things like obstacles and ex's. I agree with other reviewers that you may want to read one alphatude per day so you can learn to make practicing gratitude part of your daily routine.

Before reading Alphatudes, I understood that I can be grateful for little things in life, but I didn't understand how to express it. Michele's use of prayer, affirmation statements, and the way she eloquently discusses each alphatude shows HOW to practice gratitude, rather than just pointing out that you should be grateful.

Initially, I used the Alphatudes method of going through the alphabet and selecting things to be grateful for while I was driving or going to sleep. Lately, though, I've noticed that as I'm living life I am actively thinking about why I am grateful for my current situation or an object I'm using. Alphatudes gives you a new outlook on life.

I also love the Olivia Newton-John song, Grace & Gratitude, that comes with the book. It's a beautiful song to meditate on as you learn to make gratitude a part of your every day life.

Terror by Night: The True Story of the Brutal Texas Murder That Destroyed a Family, Restored One Man's Faith, and Shocked a Nation
by James H. Pence
Price: $22.99
86 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Page Turner, September 30, 2009
I got home from a long trip on Saturday evening and was exhausted. I opened my mail and saw that I'd received my copy of Terror by Night, but I set it aside thinking I would fall asleep right then if I started reading. Later that night, closer to bed time, I picked up the book to wind down and before I knew it it was 1am and I was still awake and half way through the book. The next night I did the same thing and finished it after midnight. I knew a lot of Terry's story from the media and through an opportunity I had to meet him in person, so I didn't think it would be a page turner for me, but it really pulled me in.

I had my tissues close, but I was surprised and relieved that the tears came more in the tender moments than in the terror-filled ones. Terry really let himself be vulnerable in sharing his journey to overcoming a real life nightmare. You'll just want to hug him when he "loses his marble" and really nearly loses his marbles.

I could hear the story about the burnt page that Terry found 100 times and never cease to be amazed by God's presence in his life and the joy in knowing that He has placed "pages" in my life, too. Terry doesn't hide the fact that he wanted to turn from God, he stopped praying, and he struggled to praise a God that let's things like this happen. When we think He's not here or that our problems don't matter, or we've lost hope all together, He's there, turning over every page to get to our heart.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2014 2:22 PM PST

It's A Wonderful Imperfect Life: Daily Encouragement for Women Who Strive Too Hard to Make It Just Right
by Joan C. Webb
44 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pick-Me-Up for the Overwhelmed Perfectionist, July 10, 2009
I am a bit of a perfectionist myself and I often get stressed out trying to get everything just right. I've had this book sitting on my desk for the last couple of months (partially because the cover is really cute and looks nice sitting out). When I'm feeling overwhelmed, I take 3-4 minutes and read one of the quick devos. I always feel more balanced and calm after I read one. Christian women have a lot of pressure to appear to have it all together. Joan points out that this is unrealistic, unbiblical, and unhealthy. It's okay to love yourself and let some other things go. If you're a stressed out perfectionist, this is a great book to keep on hand. Read straight through it or read one here and there.