Profile for Matthew Jacobs > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Matthew Jacobs RSS Feed (Santa Cruz, California (and UCLA))

Page: 1 | 2
CrazyOnDigital Designer CONTOUR Leather Case for Samsung Galaxy S III S 3 (AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon) (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good protection: *allegedly not very stylish*, July 15, 2012
I think this is a pretty good case. I like the look of it. It protects the big screen that I thought I would break. It seems like people often break their smart phone screens, so I bought this. This is my first smart phone.

I think the biggest problem with the phone is that I didn't realize how awkward the flap is. I imagine I'll get used to the flap. I also didn't realize the level of distaste my friends would have for it (and pretty unanimous).

I don't really care I'm going to keep using it. My style is weird already and it is practical.

Pros:
Looks nice when closed.
Feels nice (leathery)
Fits securely
Closes securely
Opens fairly easily
Seems like it would provide good protection from falls
Prevents screen scratches because it covers the screen
Easy button access except the front 'home' button as it is completely covered by the flap.
There is a hole for the camera, flash and speaker on the back.
There is a hole for the headphones on top.
There is a hole at the bottom for the charger/data cable.

Cons:
1) Two 26 yr old women and one 25 yr old male (all fairly stylish in my opinion) said the flip case was embarrassing and that I HAD to get rid of it. I could not be seen talking on it in public, or opening it.
2) does not cover very much of the sides of the phone
2.5) does not completely cover the top of the phone when closed.
3) When the flip case is open the phone is awkward to hold (it does not EASILY lay flat against the back, though it can be forced)
4) I did order this on July 4th (holiday) but it did not arrive until July 14th. (So somewhat slow shipping?-not terrible, you can look at a calendar and decide)
5) covers the home button, obviously.
6) contrary to the picture, it OPENS DOWN, with the hinge at the BOTTOM. Opening UP with the hinge on top feels more natural to me. Even on the left side would feel more natural to me. This is the opposite way that one is used to flipping pages on a notepad or something, which feels awkward for my hands. I'll probably get used to it. (NOTE: turning it around is an option but then the holes would not match up for the camera or charger)
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2014 2:54 PM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Bin Laden is dead!, May 1, 2011
I had been thinking about buying this shirt for a while. Just as I clicked to confirm my order the internets told me Bin Laden had been killed.

Coincidence? Maybe... What do you think will happen when you buy the shirt? If I were you I'd stock up on lottery tickets, condoms, ice cream, and bacon. Then make sure you're sitting in a safe place, and confirm that order.

Maybe nothing will happen...but can you take that risk? Can America take that risk?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2014 11:32 AM PDT

Serfas TCPG Bicycle Floor Pump
Serfas TCPG Bicycle Floor Pump
Offered by CYCLERY.INC
Price: $26.43
22 used & new from $26.43

5.0 out of 5 stars confirming it works well, April 6, 2011
Just confirming this pump works very well. I have not tested the accuracy of the pressure reader. It does seem to go up and down as I put air in and out at a predictable rate...so I'm assuming it works.

Pearl iZUMi Men's Quest Cycling Short
Pearl iZUMi Men's Quest Cycling Short
Price: $29.99 - $89.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Good shorts, not great..., April 6, 2011
PROS:
These shorts work very well. I find the chamois very comfortable. Nothing chafes or rubs the wrong way. Slight compression, not a lot. (compared to some race swim suits).

CONS:
After use I take them into the shower with me and soap them up in lukewarm water. Then I hang to dry. I say this because they are not *quite as tight as they used to be. They seem to be holding up pretty well though.

Biggest complaint (mostly style): They come up to almost my belly button in the front and somewhere awkward in my mid back. Some people complain they don't stay up. Yeah I guess they're supposed to come up all the way over your whole hips. THIS IS TOO FAR FOR ME. I'm used to speedos that rest just above your buttocks and stay put easily. These come up very high. They don't naturally stay up that high. I think it would be better if they just came above my butt.
***I think it is stylistically awkward and slightly awkward b/c I'm not used to it*** I say this because it doesn't really affect the function.

I also understand this is how they (bike shorts) are supposed to fit but I personally don't like it.

Durable Flexible Soft Pink Silicone Skin Case with Belt Clip and Armband for ...
Offered by Gizmo Dorks
Price: $1.40
4 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Suffices very well., April 6, 2011
Perfect for running. I threw out the white belt clip thing but it didn't look very sturdy. Is a little more translucent than it appears. Doesn't seem like it would provide a lot of protection, but does do a bit. Still easy to use/charge when in case.

Has shown some SMALL wear and tear/fraying after about 6 months of solid running but still functions perfectly.

Dragons Lair - T-Shirt
Dragons Lair - T-Shirt
Offered by Old Glory
Price: $20.05 - $27.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Wizard, dragon, and purple...why haven't you bought it yet?, April 6, 2011
This review is from: Dragons Lair - T-Shirt (Apparel)
PROS:
This shirt is pretty epic. Big dragon, little wizard. Sweet. 100% cotton. Made in USA. You see the picture, I don't have to say more.

CONS:
The dragon is sooo big it is almost hard to tell what it is on your shirt. The wizard is pretty small and way down by your waist/almost on your side.

This shirt is awesome I'd recommend it. I'm 6'3 180 and I got a medium. I'd say this brand runs a little big. Maybe get one size smaller than you would normally. Maybe I'll add a picture if I can remember how.

NOTE: Comes with specific care instructions. I hand washed it 1st time cold and tons of purple dye came out. Image is still clear and looks good but should not be worn before washing. It also requires cold wash, which I have not been doing since the first time and the shirt still seems fine. A *little* fading, but not much.

NOTE2: I did find it cheaper than on Amazon. Google "the mountain dragon lair shirt"

Blackburn AirStik SL Bicycle Frame Pump
Blackburn AirStik SL Bicycle Frame Pump
Price: $24.95 - $80.93

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate, April 6, 2011
Without a locking mechanism it is hard to get a good seal with this pump. It is effective once you find that good seal but it takes a lot of wiggling, smashing, praying, and time to get it. Once you have it sealed it is often hard to get off. Very hard. I find myself smashing my fingers against the spokes and wheel trying to yank it off.

You can get high PSI with this. It does eventually seal. However I think I may have ruined tubes where the metal part connects to the rubber from all my jiggling to get this to seal properly.

I'd highly recommend getting one with a locking/sealing mechanism. 3 stars because it does work as backup/emergency pump.

Wilson Official AVP Outdoor Game Volleyball
Wilson Official AVP Outdoor Game Volleyball
Price: $40.49
17 used & new from $35.23

4.0 out of 5 stars great ball, November 8, 2010
This is a good ball. I'd even say great. However with the AVP now being defunct I'd get the Wilson King of the Beach ball. The Wilson ball seems to be a bit heavier which makes it a little more stable in the wind.

People love playing with my ball, but when there is a Wilson ball around and it is windy (when is it not windy in beach volleyball?) people prefer the Wilson because it is a bit heavier.

Also make sure if you do get this you're getting the Official one, the other one is pretty shoddy. Same with the Wilson ball make sure you're getting the higher end one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2010 4:28 PM PST

Belkin Neoprene Notebook Sleeve for 15.4-Inch Laptop (F8N048-BR)
Belkin Neoprene Notebook Sleeve for 15.4-Inch Laptop (F8N048-BR)

5.0 out of 5 stars great and reliable, November 8, 2010
I've had this for over a year and it is great and reliable. Keeps most of the stuff off my laptop and a little bit of bump protection. As a law student my laptop gets a lot of work, and so does this case.

The Mountain Unicorn Castle T-Shirt
The Mountain Unicorn Castle T-Shirt
Price: $10.75 - $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight male actually owns this, November 8, 2010
Yes I live in San Francisco but I'm a straight male (26) and I own this. And yes I really am 100% straight, but I don't think that matters. This shirt is awesome, it is sure to turn heads.

I'm 6'3 175 and the medium fits me pretty well if you like your shirts kind of tight. The sleeves are shorter, which is good because I have nice arms. The torso length is a little long (at least compared to the sleeve length. Considering that I'm pretty tall, and I got a medium I'd say that even if you don't like to wear your shirts tight you might want to consider the torso length, because it will be kind of long. Overall it fits great. I'd upload a picture but I don't see that option.

Good things about this shirt:
1. It is purple, the color of the royals.
2. It has a sweet unicorn on it (and a castle).
3. You will get a lot of attention (so ask yourself if you want it first)

Bad / Questionable things about this shirt:
1. People will think you're gay.

Basically I got this shirt because f* what other people think. Gay is the new black. If you're not supporting it now in 20 years your kids will be wondering why you didn't do anything at all. Even if it is just wearing a stupid shirt and telling people what you think when they ask you about it, or accuse you of being gay.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2012 6:07 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2