Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for Doug Flather > Reviews

Browse

Doug Flather's Profile

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Doug Flather "Doug" RSS Feed (Columbia, MD United States)

Dimplex TAH20R Tate Opti-Myst Wall-Mounted Fireplace, Black
Dimplex TAH20R Tate Opti-Myst Wall-Mounted Fireplace, Black
6 used & new from $399.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 14, 2016
thinking of getting an Opti-Myst? Get the Tate. the black glass front is spectacular.

Yamaha DGX650B 88-Key Digital Piano Bundle with Knox Padded Bench, Dust Cover, JVC Headphones, Focus on Piano (Book/CD) & FastTrack Keyboard DVD
Offered by aSavings
Price: $829.99
5 used & new from $684.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Very hard to beat for under $1000., August 21, 2015
Just bought one. I'm a professional keyboardist (modern gospel and jazz standards). Wanted something I could keep (and practice with) in my den and avoid the "messy cables everywhere with a big clumsy keyboard on an X stand" look. I consider this instrument a "prosumer" level unit.

Positives:
- The sampled acoustic piano sounds are wonderful. Reasonable variety (bright, moderate, warm). I live in a condo and thus rehearse only with headphones. It sounds just great. I played most of the other manufacturer's digital pianos in the $1000 price bracket and this one beats them all hands down. Maybe my ears are messed up, but via headphones, this sounds as good as a Nord.
- Drums: tone quality is quite good and there's lots of them to work with. I appreciated yamaha's including plenty of jazz beats.
- Other voices are fair to quite good - typical yamaha sounding voices with all the classic strengths and weaknesses of Yamaha's prosumer keyboards. The sampled voices are extremely well-produced and Yamaha included samples for the most useful voices you'll need to perform music.
- Key bed feel: This is a highly subjective variable. Personally, I think the key bed feels fantastic. To me it feels like a console acoustic piano -- not like a huge grand, but much much better than semi-weighted synths. Feels better to me than the Fatars installed on

Negatives:
- The case has a very "plastic" look and feel to it. Yamaha chose to invest in the electronics rather than the appearance. It doesn't "look" as nice as some of the other $1000 digi pianos.
- The stand is super cheap - vinyl-covered particle board. I wished the materials had been thicker.
- There are too many Yamaha "DX electric piano" voices, the two Rhodes sound very similar to one another and curiously, there is no Wurlitzer electric piano.
- There's lots of techno-gizmo presumably aimed at beginners. (Play along with this built-in song. Entire backing band as you play with one finger). All of this sounds pretty silly and cheesy to me and I don't use it. Might of of interest to some.
- Audio output is a single 1/4' stereo out. I would have preferred a left/right split.

I am extremely satisfied with my purchase. Great value and capabilities for well under $1000.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2015 3:38 PM PST

Williams Overture 2 88-Key Console Digital Piano
Williams Overture 2 88-Key Console Digital Piano
Offered by Music123
Price: $699.99
3 used & new from $699.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Sounding like a cheap plastic whistle, July 22, 2015
I had such high hopes.

After reading all about it, I went to my local Guitar Center with every intention of buying this unit tonight. Fit and finish were superb. Then, I played it.

Sounding like a cheap plastic whistle. I'm so sorry, but it was plunky and unresponsive. Key bed was mushy. I put high quality headphones on in hopes the problem was just the built-in speakers. It helped, but not enough to push me to purchase. I'm super disappointed.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2016 9:41 PM PST

The Official GameSalad Guide to Game Development (Explore Our New Media Arts & Design 1st Eds.)
by Jeannie Novak
Price: $39.66
48 used & new from $8.60

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, April 24, 2013
Just arrived today. Deeply disappointed. Sending it back.

Not sure in what sense this is "official", but it spends very little time teaching you how to use GameSalad development platform. The subtitle is Guide to Game Development, and that's the focus of the book -- a bunch of theoretical material about what distinguishes one game type from another, what makes games fun to play etc. If you want to learn how to get started with GameSalad, or how to go deeper with GameSalad, look elsewhere.

Sorry Jeannie, but this resource could have been better titled.

Turtle Wax T-3KT Black Box Kit
Turtle Wax T-3KT Black Box Kit
Price: $16.89
21 used & new from $16.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Porsche never looked better, January 1, 2012
I have an '05 Boxster, Basalt Black Metallic, that's my daily driver. Thus, plenty of bumper nicks and rashes. This product was a LOT of work, but wow, what great results. The mica particles in the pain't seemed to "wake up" and glisten. I noticed a big difference even after just using the cleaner. Do wear gloves, and expect to use a lot of microfiber cloths. I'm really happy with the results. Highly recommended.

Yamaha MOX6 61-Key Music Production Synthesizer (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Yamaha MOX6 61-Key Music Production Synthesizer (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by 8th Street Music
Price: $1,069.99
3 used & new from $1,069.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, this is sweet, July 20, 2011
Sold my Roland Fantom X7 in search of some fresh sounds and wanting to stop hauling around a heavy keyboard. PIcked up the MOX6.
It took a while to get acquainted with the multi FX, but wow this thing sounds great. Most of the "performances" sound kind of cheesy to me, but I've found that taking the base (dry) voices, and adding in some layers, chorus reverb and delay makes a HUGE difference. Very usable in live band settings.

I play contemporary gospel, classic rock, and modern jazz.

Rode Microphones NT3 Hypercardioid Condenser Microphone
Rode Microphones NT3 Hypercardioid Condenser Microphone
Offered by Kellards
Price: $269.00
31 used & new from $220.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm as a summer day, May 24, 2011
I put it on a boom and position it 18-24" away from the subject when shooting video.
It's crisp, clear, and warm. Excellent mic for reasonably close up work.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2015 4:54 PM PDT

Canon XA10 Professional Camcorder with 64GB Internal Flash Memory and Full Manual Control
Price: $1,299.00
21 used & new from $913.01

5.0 out of 5 stars XA 10, May 21, 2011
The good:
I'm a backpack videographer. I shoot a lot of industrial and training videos. I grew weary of trying to find an easy way to get great audio from a DSLR - too many additional and unnecessary steps -- so I sold mine and picked this up. Best. Move. Ever. Now, I put a Rode NT3 on a boom, plug into the XLR and my audio is warm as a summer day. Video quality is stunning. Focus assist is fantastic. I'm very pleased to get pro-level processor and lens in a camera this small. Surprise: it shoots great stills too. Very very good in lower light scenarios.

Down sides:
The cinema mode feels sort of amateurish/consumer level. Not much there you couldn't do better in post, so, I don't use it. My only other complaint is I wish there were a few other on camera buttons to reduce menu diving, but it's really not hard.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2012 10:47 AM PST

IRONMAN LeverLock Adjustable Dumbbells
IRONMAN LeverLock Adjustable Dumbbells

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, February 5, 2010
I wanted to speed up my workouts with some kind of interlocking plate system because my free weights relied on classical plates and twist couplers. I looked over all the options and went with these because:

1.) I wanted fine tuning - many of the others allow only adjustments in 5lb increments. With these you can adjust in increments as low as 1.25 lbs. My workouts require multiple sets of the same exercise with small adjustments of weight on each successive set. These are PERFECT.

2.) Construction - to me, with free weights, plastic is bad, especially when it's part of a (moving) mechanism. Boxflex seemed to have too much plastic all around. This set is all steel. (The stand is plastic/metal though.)

3.) Price - I purchased the set at my local Costco for $299, and the stand was included. There are others on the market for lots more and I just can't see paying over $600 for a set of Bowflex weights. I felt like this was a fair price.

If you get them, just make sure when you use them that the lever is COMPLETELY locked on each plate before you pick them up! I had a close call with a plate that fell off as I lifted the handle out of the stand. (That was my fault though, not the product.)

Overall - highly recommended.
- Doug Flather