Profile for Doug Flather > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Doug Flather "Doug" RSS Feed (Columbia, MD United States)

The Official GameSalad Guide to Game Development (Explore Our New Media Arts & Design 1st Eds.)
by Jeannie Novak
Price: $38.75
51 used & new from $24.30

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, April 24, 2013
Just arrived today. Deeply disappointed. Sending it back.

Not sure in what sense this is "official", but it spends very little time teaching you how to use GameSalad development platform. The subtitle is Guide to Game Development, and that's the focus of the book -- a bunch of theoretical material about what distinguishes one game type from another, what makes games fun to play etc. If you want to learn how to get started with GameSalad, or how to go deeper with GameSalad, look elsewhere.

Sorry Jeannie, but this resource could have been better titled.

Turtle Wax T-3KT Black Box Kit
Turtle Wax T-3KT Black Box Kit
Price: $14.84
7 used & new from $14.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Porsche never looked better, January 1, 2012
I have an '05 Boxster, Basalt Black Metallic, that's my daily driver. Thus, plenty of bumper nicks and rashes. This product was a LOT of work, but wow, what great results. The mica particles in the pain't seemed to "wake up" and glisten. I noticed a big difference even after just using the cleaner. Do wear gloves, and expect to use a lot of microfiber cloths. I'm really happy with the results. Highly recommended.

Yamaha MOX6 61-Key Music Production Synthesizer (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Yamaha MOX6 61-Key Music Production Synthesizer (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
3 used & new from $1,000.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, this is sweet, July 20, 2011
Sold my Roland Fantom X7 in search of some fresh sounds and wanting to stop hauling around a heavy keyboard. PIcked up the MOX6.
It took a while to get acquainted with the multi FX, but wow this thing sounds great. Most of the "performances" sound kind of cheesy to me, but I've found that taking the base (dry) voices, and adding in some layers, chorus reverb and delay makes a HUGE difference. Very usable in live band settings.

I play contemporary gospel, classic rock, and modern jazz.

Rode Microphones NT3 Hypercardioid Condenser Microphone
Rode Microphones NT3 Hypercardioid Condenser Microphone
Offered by Wingman-Inc
Price: $268.99
12 used & new from $220.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm as a summer day, May 24, 2011
I put it on a boom and position it 18-24" away from the subject when shooting video.
It's crisp, clear, and warm. Excellent mic for reasonably close up work.

Canon XA10 Professional Camcorder with 64GB Internal Flash Memory and Full Manual Control
Price: $1,499.00
20 used & new from $1,150.00

5.0 out of 5 stars XA 10, May 21, 2011
The good:
I'm a backpack videographer. I shoot a lot of industrial and training videos. I grew weary of trying to find an easy way to get great audio from a DSLR - too many additional and unnecessary steps -- so I sold mine and picked this up. Best. Move. Ever. Now, I put a Rode NT3 on a boom, plug into the XLR and my audio is warm as a summer day. Video quality is stunning. Focus assist is fantastic. I'm very pleased to get pro-level processor and lens in a camera this small. Surprise: it shoots great stills too. Very very good in lower light scenarios.

Down sides:
The cinema mode feels sort of amateurish/consumer level. Not much there you couldn't do better in post, so, I don't use it. My only other complaint is I wish there were a few other on camera buttons to reduce menu diving, but it's really not hard.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2012 10:47 AM PST

IRONMAN LeverLock Adjustable Dumbbells
IRONMAN LeverLock Adjustable Dumbbells

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, February 5, 2010
I wanted to speed up my workouts with some kind of interlocking plate system because my free weights relied on classical plates and twist couplers. I looked over all the options and went with these because:

1.) I wanted fine tuning - many of the others allow only adjustments in 5lb increments. With these you can adjust in increments as low as 1.25 lbs. My workouts require multiple sets of the same exercise with small adjustments of weight on each successive set. These are PERFECT.

2.) Construction - to me, with free weights, plastic is bad, especially when it's part of a (moving) mechanism. Boxflex seemed to have too much plastic all around. This set is all steel. (The stand is plastic/metal though.)

3.) Price - I purchased the set at my local Costco for $299, and the stand was included. There are others on the market for lots more and I just can't see paying over $600 for a set of Bowflex weights. I felt like this was a fair price.

If you get them, just make sure when you use them that the lever is COMPLETELY locked on each plate before you pick them up! I had a close call with a plate that fell off as I lifted the handle out of the stand. (That was my fault though, not the product.)

Overall - highly recommended.
- Doug Flather