Profile for Buyer of Things > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 279

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Buyer of Things RSS Feed (Massachusetts)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mothers 05674 California Gold Carnauba Wash & Wax - 64 oz.
Mothers 05674 California Gold Carnauba Wash & Wax - 64 oz.
Price: $8.42
25 used & new from $8.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stopgap between waxes., June 28, 2015
Howdy Everyone!
I've been using this bottle of Wash & Wax for over a year now (disclaimer: I did take a break from it for a bit). It's really good for those of us who don't have easy access to a garage to wax our cars every other week.

Does this provide any wax like protection? It's hard to say if it protects against sunlight or other debris but it certainly protects against water more than non wash&wax soap does. After a wash and dry with this stuff water does bead up nicely. It won't last as long as really waxing your car does but if you wash regularly with this stuff you can definitely sustain a wax-like coating for a couple months. I pretty much went an entire winter without waxing but using this soap for the washing.

If you don't wash AND wax your car regularly I really hope you'll start. It's night and day washing an unwaxed car versus a waxed one, don't let your car get to that point! At the very least, wash your car once a week with this stuff.

Why did I give this 4 stars?
I've seen other non-wax soaps do a better job at actually cleaning, most likely it's because they don't have the wax feature but if you plan on waxing your car after the wash anyways I'd just use a regular high quality car soap. No sense in wasting this expensive soap and this may not clean as well as a regular soap. The other reason this got four stars is because it leaves smudge marks on your car if you use too much. It's hard to judge how much to use for the right protection without leaving too much on the car I never measured it but experience has allowed me to get it right, it definitely took several tries to consistently get it right though. In my experience if you put too much soap in the bucket you'll leave smudge marks on your car (nothing damaging or permanent) wherever you touch it. It got very annoying to have my arm out my window and until the next wash there was a greasy looking outline where my arm was - The solution was to use less of the soap.

Other than those two little niggles this is a great product, my supply is running low so I'll be ordering more soon!

I'd also recommend you pick up a clay bar if you have a dark car like mine.

Hope it helps!

Mothers 07240 California Gold Clay Bar System
Mothers 07240 California Gold Clay Bar System
Price: $12.93
40 used & new from $12.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, Sorcery, Witchcraft!, June 27, 2015
This stuff is magic in a box. For the longest time (maybe even from new) my car has had these paint imperfections on the right side. I have no idea what they were but washing and waxing did not remove them, I figured my paint was just ruined forever. I decided to buy this claybar kit because it was really cheap on Amazon, I had used claybars before when I worked for a detailing place for a short while but I kinda always thought it was just a gimmick. No longer do I think this is just a gimmick it is nothing short of amazing what this product and a little time accomplished...

See the before and after pictures below (it started raining while I was finishing up so the after picture has a few rain drops in it).

This kit came with two 80g clay bars. I split one in half and used that, I got about 1 side of my Charger done using half of one bar.

I will say that this kit isn't necessary, I found that soap and water actually works better than the spray which you've really got to use liberally to provide adequate protection. At the sale price I got this for it was worth it but full price I'd probably just go get a 200 gram bar on ebay instead of the whole kit.

Still won't change my rating, this was amazing I'm so happy to finally have a black car that actually looks clean when it is.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Mobil 1 (120844) Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil - 5 Quart
Mobil 1 (120844) Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil - 5 Quart
Price: $23.88
3 used & new from $23.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well for the Acura ILX 2.0L, June 16, 2015
Purchased this for $23.88 at Wallyworld. Seems to be good oil for small honda engines. Used in my mother's 2013 Acura ILX. She doesn't do a lot of hard driving (pretty much all highway) so we figured it would be good to give this a shot, I didn't find too many other choices for a good full synthetic 0W-20 anyways.

Replaced in combination with a Mobile 1 Extended Performance filter the car runs very smoothly now and hopefully will be fine to go another 7,000 miles or so before the next oil change. I'm sure this is why it's good for fuel economy but this oil does seem very thin. It's synthetic so it does cover the parts well but even checking the oil on the dipstick is a challenge because it doesn't really congeal on the stick. I have the same issue on my 2013 Charger RT which uses 5W20 so it's probably just what the new low viscosity oils are like.

The ILX has been driven about 200 miles since the change and everything runs perfectly. Smooth as can be, definitely satisfied with the purchase, especially at the rollback price.

The book for the ILX says it takes 3.7QT of oil, I couldn't believe that was true since my Charger takes 7 and cars like the Mustang take 8, I think even the focus 2.0L takes 5.5QTs, regardless when we drained the oil and filter there was a little over 4 QTs so that's what we filled it too - this meant we wasted a little under a quart of oil unfortunately but the 1 QT bottles of this stuff were $9, $9*4= $36 vs $23.88 for the 5 Quart Jug.

Orksun Automatic Dusk-to-Dawn White LED Night Light w. Precision Sensor (Pack of 4)
Offered by BuyAccessories
Price: $19.99
4 used & new from $4.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Could have been brighter- Cheapest price though, June 7, 2015
For the price, these are pretty good. The light sensor function does work and work well, it's nice to be able to rotate the late so you can have these turns on and not disturb people trying to sleep.

I got these so I could better light the floor for my dog who is now blind in one eye and they work well he can see enough when we're asleep in the middle of the night to get a drink of water or eat some food.

These seem to be of good enough quality to last if you don't keep moving them around, at less than $2.50 a piece you have to expect some reduced quality though...

The only reason I knocked a star off these lights is because they aren't very bright. We had a standard incandescent light break which is why I decided to buy these and I'd guess these are a third as bright as our old incandescent night light was. I can't complain too much about the brightness because I can't lie, I wanted LED lights and I did pretty much go for the cheapest option I could find. Just know these won't be near as bright as a regular night-light.

TeleBrands 7809 Pocket Hose Ultra 3x Stronger , 50 feet
TeleBrands 7809 Pocket Hose Ultra 3x Stronger , 50 feet
Offered by Ash Lev
Price: $16.38
59 used & new from $11.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the apartment car-washer!, June 7, 2015
I love this hose. The convenience factor is worth it alone. The small storage size is just an added benefit.

I bought this at CVS with a 20% off coupon to get it for $16.

My use of this hose is to wash my car, I would disconnect and store the hose after every use and never did it spring a leave at the connections. I can't say enough good things about this hose, I guess I never realized just how much of a pain it is to coil up a stiff garden hose but this is great. It does get to 50 feet and seems to be sturdy when in use.

I really must emphasize that this hose is the most convenient hose you can buy. If you live in an an apartment (like I do) and can't leave your hose outside all the time, this hose is a must. With all great things there are drawbacks which I will now talk about.

The first drawback is that the flow is less than a typical garden hose. I only noticed this when I used a regular garden hose again, the pocket hose was by no means lacking in power but the normal hose definitely had more power. The second drawback is the durability. My hose lasted between 1 and 2 years before finally breaking. It never showed any signs of wear but then all of a sudden when I was washing cars 2 weeks ago it swelled at one point and popped. Took about 3 seconds for it to swell and pop so there was no stopping it. At least it gave me an inside look at the hose, it's a plastic/rubber tube covered by the green outer nylon(?) sleeve. I'm not sure why the hose popped, I was mid spray when all of a sudden I lose pressure at my nozzle and the hose burst about 10 feet way from the nozzle.

That burst didn't dissuade me one bit from giving this a 5 star review or buying another hose (yay for 20% off CVS coupons). When I first bought this hose I said "whatever, I'll give it a shot maybe I'll get a week or two before it breaks" so getting over a year out of this was perfect. Perhaps I should note that this was literally only used to wash cars, which means whenever it was connected it was on an asphalt driveway, not soft dirt or grass.

I'm not sure how long this would last if you did keep it connected outside and in the sun, I'd also bet money that if you left this connected outside with the water turned on at the faucet you would probably not see a very long run of this hose (however it's bad for any hose to leave it sitting with pressure in it so...)

Definitely buy this hose if you don't feel like coiling standard hose up and/or are strapped for storage space. Couldn't be more happy with what I got for so little money.

Mobil 1 M1-210 Extended Performance Oil Filter
Mobil 1 M1-210 Extended Performance Oil Filter
Price: $10.32
5 used & new from $10.32

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit for my 2013 Dodge Charger RT. Top Quality filter, June 7, 2015
It's really hard for a normal person like myself to rate products like this because I don't have the tools necessary to actually measure its performance. For those facts I rely on third party reviews and for this product they have all been great.

This filter fit my 2013 Dodge Charger RT perfectly, it screwed on easily (much easier than the Mopar MO-899 filter I used last time did) and sealed perfectly. Be sure to only tighten this (and all oil filters) between a quarter and one-half turn (once the gasket hits), this will ensure your oil filter is not too tight which can be a negative not only when you try and get it off next change but also a crushed gasket may not work properly and you could leak oil.

Mobil 1 says this filters upwards of 99%, that's great and exactly what I was looking for. I had thought about the K&N performance filters that have high flow but they say they filter only 90% - I just couldn't bring myself to do it, I feel like those are really made for racers that change oil and filters very frequently.

If you tighten your filter the correct amount it won't be difficult to get off so the "welded-on nut" of some other filters shouldn't be necessary, on my car it wouldn't help at all because of he oil filter placement. If this is your first time changing oil yourself expect the old filter to be very tight. Every time my previous cars had their oil changed at the dealer or oil place it was near impossible to get the filter and drain plug off - I'll never bring a car to one of these places for an oil change again -even worse, on my Mitsubishi Montero they never put the skid-plate back on and I always had to check underneath before leaving and had to make them put the thing back on. It's a shame how little you can trust auto service places anymore, if you want something done right, do it yourself with the help of the internet if you need it.

EDIT: After having the filter installed for about a month I must report there is a leat somewhere at the top of the filter. It's a miniscule amount of oil but I clean off the filter and shield then if I check back after a couple days there is oil on the filter and the shield. I've tightened it more but no luck stopping the slow leak. Really disappointing.

Mobil 1 (120765) Extended Performance 5W-20 Motor Oil - 5 Quart
Mobil 1 (120765) Extended Performance 5W-20 Motor Oil - 5 Quart
Price: $28.68
2 used & new from $28.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well on my '13 Charger RT (With MDS) - Be sure to check for rebates!, June 7, 2015
Looks to be high quality stuff! I recently changed the oil on my 2013 Dodge Charger RT. I chose Mobil 1 for two reasons - First you can get crazy good mail in rebates from Mobil on the stuff and second - aside from Amsoil this stuff is constantly the most recommended oil I see.

With the rebates I got 2 5 quart jugs of this stuff for $12.50 a piece. I could have done better if I had realized I was going to just buy the Mobil 1 Performance oil filter as well but I didn't so I bought them separately and only got the rebates on the oil. No bother, still a great deal on great oil.

The consistency of the stuff is perfect, it looks extremely regular and the engine started up very smoothly with this oil in.

My car only has 11,000 miles on it and my previous oil change was at 7,500 using Motorcraft Blended. I never thought full synthetic was worth it for me because I still like to change my oil ever 3,500-4,500 miles, probably stupid for doing that but old habits die hard. Regardless with the already cheap Amazon price and the great rebates, this was perfect for me. The Charger takes 7 quarts of oil so it was cheapest for me to buy two 5 quart jugs and get the rebates than it was to buy one 5 quart jug and 2 1 quart bottles Also, not I have 3 quarts of oil to use for next time.

The Charger has MDS (4 cylinder shut-off) so the weight of oil is very important. I'd also imagine that conventional oil leads to decreased MDS performance as it ages, synthetic shouldn't have this problem over the same mileage count I wouldn't think.

This oil says it can go to 15,000 miles the filter I got might also say that. I will try and stretch this next change to 6 or 7k miles because I do know that now-a-days the oil and cars don't need a 3,000 mile interval. I wouldn't do 15,000 miles ever, I wouldn't do 10,000 miles or more unless you do literally 100% highway driving with no traffic.

Definitely good stuff and with the rebates available... The bargain of a century!

AEM 28-20460 DryFlow Air Filter
AEM 28-20460 DryFlow Air Filter
Offered by Anything Powersports
Price: $39.92
8 used & new from $38.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent filter, don't expect HP gains though, June 6, 2015
Excellent so far.

First off, I've only had this for a couple days at the writing of this review so I can't comment on longevity.

Build Quality: Excellent, high quality construction with consistent weave. I can't see through the filter at any point. I've purchased many K&N and other oiled filters and this is just as well made as those all have been.

Installation: Easy! All you need is a screw driver to unscrew the lid of the charger's airbox (3 screws) pop the old filter out pop the new one in. This actually seemed to have a better fit than the stock paper filter for the Charger RT.
It would be better to detach the entire air box from the throttle body using a socket but you can absolutely install this just by opening the lid of the box. It has three screws in the front and 3 tabs in back. The tabs in back act as hinges so just pull up on the front then you can slide the back tabs out if you need to.

Performance: AEM doesn't really make any claims of horsepower gains with this filter. Most people I've talked to say this actually hinders performance a little. The filtering area seems a tad bit smaller compared to the stock filter (perfect fit just a little more rubber padding) which could reduce airflow, also this is a non-oiled dry flow filter. Aside from maybe some paper filters this is your best bet at actually filtering. The oiled filters allow greater airflow but they let in a whole bunch of debris as well, if you're a novice you also risk over-oiling them and pulling that oil into your engine. I bought this filter so I wouldn't have to keep buying paper ones, performance increasing was not a motivation, on our 5.7L chargers you would hardly notice a difference in performance anyways - I had a Short-Ram intake for this with a HUGE oiled filter and yea it sounded great but the performance was maybe 5-10hp gained, and unnoticeable on a car that has 370+hp.

Appearance: This thing looks great. The paper filter isn't menacing at all, granted nobody sees this on a normal occasion but if you really want people to know, this filter did include an AEM sticker. As an added bonus to how cool this thing looks, when you turn off your car it makes a short hiss like it would with a cold-air/short-ram intake. I have a cat-back exhaust system as well so it's possible that affects the noise of the intake.

I was pleased to see this for $38 on Amazon, it's not a bad deal at all, and I'm entirely happy.

California Exotics Inflatable Latex Probe
California Exotics Inflatable Latex Probe
Price: $19.12
18 used & new from $12.66

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it for me., May 30, 2015
Maybe I was expecting the wrong thing from this product. I had thought it would stimulate the prostate but I haven't really had that experience.

Pump it up a little and it works as a plug, pump it up a lot and it just becomes uncomfortable. To be clear, it's just the sphere on the end that inflates.
I was trying to decide between this one and the inflatable plug, and I guess I chose wrong.

I gave it three stars because the build quality is good (although the bulb detaches way too easily in my opinion) and the vibration works. Maybe I just was expecting something else and am disappointed in that fact but it really didn't do anything enjoyable for me. Except it's kind of a weird and satisfying feeling when you use the deflate button.

In the end, this was too expensive for what I got out of it.

Arrives in discrete packaging if ordered from amazon. Can't vouch for other sellers but I would assume the same.

Doc Johnson Squirty Peter Dinger 8-Inch
Doc Johnson Squirty Peter Dinger 8-Inch
Price: $12.84
11 used & new from $10.39

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth your money, May 30, 2015
I'm not sure what this is for. It's certainly not a serious sex toy.

It's huge, as is the opening at the tip.

The tube and bulb could be used for other stuff but the toy as a whole is really useless. Don't even bother.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20