Profile for Ales Kavsek > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 37

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ales Kavsek RSS Feed (Ljubljana, Slovenia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
by Melissa Graham
29 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is even better than I thought, June 3, 2000
Ok, I'm back. This is my second review of the book, however this time it's based on my real experience traveling with VIA from coast to coast (Halifax - Vancouver) and using this book on the road (oooppss...rail). While preparing my itinerary I used this book as a main source of information when deciding how much time I'll spend in each city and where I'll be staying. VIA web site is of course the place to pickup the latest timetables, calculate the price of the tickets, and make a reservations... (I found timetables at the end of the book still useful on the board of the train when I needed to quickly find out the distance to the next station).
I put three books in my backpack, two travel guides from NELLES (guides to Atlantic and Pacific provinces) and this one. The guides from NELLES are good with lots of facts about the country and with nice photos, however I found "Trans-Canada Rail Guide" far more suitable for people traveling across Canada by train. Also the book is as valuable on board of the train as well in the downtown of the city. I rent the book to several fellow travelers in coach class and each one of them told me how great it is.
The organization of the book is simple but efficient, for example in PART 4 City Guides and plans you can find for all mayor cities short descriptions of the following: History, Arriving in...(by air, by train), Local Transport, Orientation and Services, Where to stay, Where to eat, What to see, Moving on (by air, by train). If you are real rail enthusiast you'll have fun reading PART 5 Route Guide and Maps with description of small stations and places marked with mile markers so you can be "smarter" then others guessing what it is or where you are. Some prices mentioned in the book are the same even today but in general are higher. My average expense for the mid-range hotel or B&B was 55 CAD per night (including tax), entrance fees for museums and other events are in general higher, anything from 10 to 50% higher, food 10-20%, buses and taxis 10-20% , train tickets 10-20% (the cost of my Canrail Pass was 408 CAD including tax). If you need any additional tips or information about the trip you can send me a message to my account on Yahoo (see member page). Today I found out that second edition of this book is published so check it out!

Oracle Scripts: Powerful Tools for DBAs and Developers
Oracle Scripts: Powerful Tools for DBAs and Developers
by Brian Lomasky
64 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Not on the level of other O'Reilly books, April 11, 2000
The title of this book should be "Oracle Scripts for System & DB Administrators on Unix". If you're running Oracle on anything else skip this book! You'll be better of spending time on your own searching the web or writing the scripts for yourself (and yes, reinventing the wheel...unfortunately :-( I found only a couple of useful native SQL scripts that worked fine for me (on NT and MVS), but nothing that I could not find on the web or write by myself.
I admit that it's hard to write an objective review of such book. You'll love it or you'll hate it - it all depends on which platform you run Oracle, how experienced you're in scripting, how many scripts you already have in your toolbox and how much time you're willing to spend testing the scripts from this book.
As other readers already mentioned, you should visit O'Reilly web site first and download several updated scripts before you even start testing scripts in your environment.
More universal approach to glue together SQL scripts for the purpose of this book would be with Tcl/Tk, so scripts could be run from Enterprise Manager or standalone. Just a thought..

Oracle Database Administration: The Essential Refe
Oracle Database Administration: The Essential Refe
by David C. Kreines
Price: $30.21
98 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes useful companion, April 3, 2000
I really didn't like this book in the beginning. Why? Most of the time I'm using an on-line documentation for quick reference and original Oracle documentation set for studying material larger than a few pages. In the old days (do you remember Oracle Book ? ;-) this kind of reference guide would be a rescue for any DBA. Now days?Perhaps... The organization of the book is quite good, index is excellent and some chapters are more than just reference on the subject. When I'm not working on the site where I can easily reach on-line documentation or paper manuals then this book goes with me. One drawback at the time of writing this review is that this edition doesn't cover Oracle8i so you should at least wait for the second edition.

Oracle 8i Internal Services: for Waits, Latches, Locks, and Memory
Oracle 8i Internal Services: for Waits, Latches, Locks, and Memory
by Steve Adams
Price: $21.43
72 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on internal services!, March 27, 2000
In five years of being Oracle DBA I never had to tune databases on such level that I would have to know internals on the level described in this book; knowing what's really going on behind all those fancy statistics, using hidden parameters, events or X$ tables directly. I guess I was lucky so far. I think that this book is a must read for *any* DBA!
Having several books about tuning Oracle server on my bookshelf not a single one goes deeper in the explanation than this thiny one. We can only imagine and appreciate the time and knowledge that Steve Adams invested in this book.
One reminder to those of you who are searching for the definitive tuning guide ("do that, change that..."); Oracle8i Internal Services is not about that, here is what author wrote in the preface ..."My advanced Oracle performance-tuning book is still a dream. This little book is something else: an introduction to Oracle internals. It builds the foundation necessary for advanced performance tuning..."
There is only one thing that this book badly need - pictures! So Steve if you're reading this please include some pictures in your second edition (I hope there would be one!).

by Melissa Graham
29 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Read this book before you go!, March 19, 2000
This book helped me prepare itinerary for my one-month journey from Halifax to Vancouver that I'm planning to take in May 2000. I checked prices and some telephone numbers mentioned in the book with those I found on different web sites and despite the fact that the book is four years old it's still useful and accurate. There is everything you need to prepare for such journey: routes and costs, facts about country, practical advices (transport, festivals, food, time, hotels,...), history about Trans-Canada railway, mayor city guides and plans and least but not last route guide and maps with short description about small towns along the routes.

Oracle Web Applications:  PL/SQL Developer's Intro: Developer's Introduction
Oracle Web Applications: PL/SQL Developer's Intro: Developer's Introduction
by Andrew Odewahn
52 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to Oracle web development !, March 19, 2000
Don't expect too much from the book that covers so many topics on just two hundred pages! First five chapters are dedicated to current Oracle & If you have time you can probably download white papers with better technical information about the topics from Oracle, Technet or related websites. On the other hand this five chapters are good time savers. Last four chapters are much better, covering introduction to PL/SQL and Toolkit (HTF, HTP, OWA_***), two sample web applications (Survey and Discussion Forum) and XML. The best thing about this book is that you'll find out what you don't know, so you can make a list of relevant books that covers the topic in more detail.

Windows Script Host
Windows Script Host
by Tim Hill
Price: $50.66
63 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent instruction book - poor reference guide, January 10, 2000
This review is from: Windows Script Host (Paperback)
At the time of writing this review Tim Hill's book about WSH scripting technology is probably the best one on the market. If you're serious about replacing or (re)writing from scratch all those awkward batch files with more powerful WSH scripts then this is the book to start with. Usually programmers guides tend to be dry - certainly not the case with this one. Topics are presented with short samples and just enough explanation to understand the concept. No waste of paper! I like Notes and Program Guide sections throughout the book that provide additional explanation of some terms that I was not familiar with (If you're experienced VB/VBSCript developer then this book is probably not for you ;-). You should be aware however that this book is not organized as an reference guide for VBScript - if you're not satisfied with on-line documentation that came with WSH then look around for reference book on VBScript(or whatever script engine you prefer) with better index and page layout.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4