Profile for Mark Jacobson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mark Jacobson RSS Feed (Craig, CO, US)

Page: 1 | 2
Dayton Audio SUB-800 8-Inch 80 Watt Powered Subwoofer (Black)
Dayton Audio SUB-800 8-Inch 80 Watt Powered Subwoofer (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars More than I expected, February 16, 2015
More than I expected. My setup uses two Dayton B652's hooked up to a Lepai amp. I use the amp outputted to the high level inputs on this sub with the high level outputs to the B652's. There is no distortion, deep bass, and wonderful room-filling sound. I'd really like to expound upon what I've tested it on but really, all there is to write is a few paragraphs of gushing.

Atlantic Gaming Desk
Atlantic Gaming Desk
Price: $119.99
13 used & new from $106.91

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this desk., February 6, 2015
This review is from: Atlantic Gaming Desk (Accessory)
This isn't the best quality desk, sturdiest, or most visually appealing. That said, however, this desk is very purpose designed. This desk is meant for anyone who has a gaming system. If you want an entertainment center for your PS4, a good PC gaming desk, or general entertainment area this desk is for you.

Headphone rest, smartphone rest, controller stand, and speaker supports. This desk is for gamers. This desk is NOT for office workers or a work environment.

Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair
Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair
Offered by Parts Express
Price: $39.80
4 used & new from $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Took a chance, looks like they fixed the problems. Great pair., February 6, 2015
I took a chance with these given the manufacturing errors that had occurred. The reason I went ahead with the purchase was that I also saw a campaign by Parts Express where Dayton had corrected the manufacturing flaw. When my pair arrived I wired them up and tried them out. I was not disappointed. It was only $40 so it wouldn't have been a huge loss but I feel like this is dollar-for-dollar some of the best speakers I've run into.

They do have their limitations, distortion occurs at some pretty high volumes unless you include a sub. The bass is decent, but if you really want good lows they are quite limited. If you're using normal pc-speakers or prebuilt systems from Klipsch or Logitech, these are a huge upgrade and a great introduction to high quality listening. I find that since getting these I feel like playing music around the house just for the heck of it.

Samsung MZ-7TD250BW 840 Series Solid State Drive (SSD) 250 GB Sata 2.5-Inch
Samsung MZ-7TD250BW 840 Series Solid State Drive (SSD) 250 GB Sata 2.5-Inch
Offered by coldriver20
Price: $239.00
11 used & new from $100.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed after a year and a half, terrible RMA system., July 7, 2014
I bought this drive in December of 2012 and it started to fail in May of 2014. It has now completely failed.

I understand mistakes can happen, and that's the onus of the manufacturer to support the customer with a clear, concise warranty process. Samsung's website has very little provision for starting an RMA process, and the instructions for filing an RMA request are only given after filing one. In this process after having filed, you will usually learn by their guidelines that you have done this process incorrectly and need to substantiate with a few more steps of troubleshooting and data to provide.

Upon calling them they do have a process for advance replacements but only when requested by phone and under very specific circumstances that are atypical of most manufacturers.

Their troubleshooting solution was to try a different cable, and I presumed this would be the solution as the drive continued to work for another two months. Out of the blue I get a complete OS lockup and when rebooting I used utilities on my Gentoo Linux install to determine that the drive has completely failed. No it lists as .1gb of unallocated unpartitioned space. Samsung is also not willing to honor their warranty because I had previously filed an RMA that I didn't utilize.

With Samsung's inflexible and asinine RMA process, it has turned me off to Samsung SSD's from now on. Their support is truly awful and this division of the company is a complete and total failure.

That really sucks too, because I would have looked into upgrading to the new 850 Pro's that have topped the performance charts. For my needs, however, I am replacing it with a Sandisk II Extreme, namely because their support appears to be far better and they have the devsleep functions I prefer.

If you buy a Samsung SSD and it doesn't fail, good for you. If it does fail, however, get ready for some pain trying to get through their byzantine "blame the customer" RMA process.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2014 10:54 AM PDT

Corsair Vengeance 12GB (3x4GB)  DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9)
Corsair Vengeance 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9)
Price: $116.99
9 used & new from $116.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great memory, June 18, 2013
Goes to the rated speed and overclocks to 2100 without a problem. Very good deal. I've been able to run at the rated speed without touching the voltage, and going to 2100 I only had to put the voltage at 1.55.

Acer H236HL bid 23-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor
Acer H236HL bid 23-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor
Price: Click here to see our price
55 used & new from $125.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal on an IPS display., June 18, 2013
Not much to say here, other than great visual quality and viewing angles. The colors are great on this and the display bezel is tiny. It's working out great for me.

Incipio IPH-926 Atlas Case for iPhone 5 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Dark Gray
Incipio IPH-926 Atlas Case for iPhone 5 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Dark Gray
10 used & new from $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Know what you're getting into., June 18, 2013
I'm honestly surprised this is a 3 star product. I have the opinion that it's a similar situation to somebody reviewing a car because it won't haul a washer and drier around like a pickup truck.

Not that it's suppose to be an allegory "car is to truck as Incipio Atlas is to Otterbox Defender/Armor/whatever".

Given the tradeoffs that you have to accept in order to use a waterproof case, I have had great luck with this one. With the glass screen protector mating up with the display you don't have any screen pillowing and no dust ever gets under the glass.

The one thing I'd like to have improved in the design is the sound. Particularly the rear microphone reception and the speaker output. When recording video the audio is extremely muffled and playing anything back does not sound good at all. The implications for this are that your phone calls will also have very little noise cancellation if you're in a noisy environment.

With regards to call quality, my voice was picked up by the main microphone very nicely and the earpiece sounded clear. It's almost as if Incipio needs to evaluate what kinds of gasket materials should go around the rear mic/speaker to see if they can isolate directly to the gore-tex membrane better. I may attempt to modify the case in the future after the warranty expires, but I'm undecided.

With those issues noted above, it still remains the finest case I've used on my phone. The drawbacks are heavily outweighed by the limited device warranty and the glass screen protector.

On a sidenote, I highly recommend getting some Fussode Smartcoat to add an oleophobic finish to the screen protector. That's another thing they need to improve, including an oleophobic coating with the glass screen protector. The screen benefits a great deal from it.

The sound issues combined with the lack of an oleophobic coating on the glass are why I 4-star this product. I believe they should have used better gaskets to go around the mics/speaker and that the glass should be oleophobic. You do not ship a glass touchscreen surface in this day and age without doing that. Aside from these issues, I still love this case.

ASUS Xonar U3 Sound Cards (XONAR_U3/UAD/B/A)
ASUS Xonar U3 Sound Cards (XONAR_U3/UAD/B/A)
Price: $42.99
42 used & new from $37.80

4.0 out of 5 stars A great portable audio solution, but not a great audio solution., January 17, 2013
I say great PORTABLE, as this thing will most definitely improve upon most laptops as far as audio quality goes. The Dolby Headphone feature is great, positional audio is clearly defined with being muddled or tinny. The main drawback to this device is its overall audio quality. I would not say the SNR is very good compared to most higher quality motherboard audio solutions. This thing will also be forever outclassed by dedicated audio solutions like a Xonar DGX, X-Fi, or Soundblaster Z.

However, through the optical TOSLink adapter the dolby digital sounds fantastic. I would be willing to bet that the best application for this device would be an HTPC with a small case on a motherboard that doesn't support Dolby Digital Live. If you use this on such a device, you can build a great low-profile HTPC with something like a BitFenix Prodigy case for a serious gaming build for some Steambox setup.

TP-LINK TL-WDR4300 Wireless N750 Dual Band Router, Gigabit, 2.4GHz 300Mbps+5Ghz 450Mbps, 2 USB port, Wireless On/Off Switch
Price: $58.99
89 used & new from $48.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and versatile., January 17, 2013
The performance of this router is top notch. In the configuration tools I am presented with a plethora of options in a manner that suites everyone from novice to security expert.

Adapting it for our needs was very straightforward.

I will post an update as to its stability, as we will often have around 20-25 concurrent users. The dual band system on this is very robust as I've noticed it will swap channels on the fly as well as put people on two separate bands to manage traffic. Effectively you get two SSID's for the price of one, and if it proves stable I will update this review after 3 months.

So far, the honeymoon is great with this thing.

PowerGen® Black 2.4-Amp (12 Watt) Dual USB Wall Charger w/flip down Plug Designed for Apple and Android Devices
Offered by POWERGEN
Price: $9.99
2 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars More than gets the job done, January 12, 2013
Given the sketchy chargers I've seen listed, I attempted to research as much as I could to find decent wall chargers.

I was not disappointed with this one. It works as advertised and it provides stable power.

Page: 1 | 2