Profile for waetherman > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 11996

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

waetherman RSS Feed
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Parrot Flower Power - Wireless Indoor/Outdoor Bluetooth Smart Plant Sensor with Free dedicated App - Blue
Price: $59.99
5 used & new from $59.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Like a fitbit for your garden, June 26, 2014
Like a fitbit for your garden, the Parrot Flower Power gives you basic information about the health of your plants. The data that's collected is sunlight, water, fertilizer and temperature, and it records the data continuously. To check in on the plant though, you have to sync the device via bluetooth with your phone, and when the data is synced it is also uploaded to the Parrot (?) servers for analysis, and then notifications are sent. This is overall a pretty good system if you like to check in on your garden on a daily basis, but there are some limitations. Since the device isn't connected to the Internet directly, it can't be checked remotely, and it can't be used with services like IFTTT to trigger other actions or alerts. Having something that is directly connected to the Internet would make for a lot more flexibility with the system, but would probably be more expensive and complicated.

As for the data it collects, it's nice to generally know the state of your garden. And because it is set to monitor a particular kind of plant, it is monitoring the health of that plant and doing the analysis for you. I found this very useful to know when I was overwatering or underwating, or when I needed to add fertilizer. One limitation though is that it doesn't seem to corrolate data with things like weather patterns - if it's cloudy one day, it'll tell you to move the plant, instead of realizing that it's just a cloudy day. Also those kinds of alerts seem to be specific to that day, not the overall trend - my tomatoes, for instance, are exposed to all-day sun, but on one cloudy day I got a notice when it should have just realized that the plant is in a good position.

Overall I'd say this is very useful, but could be more useful with a few improvements. I'll definitely be buying one or two more to monitor other plants in the garden.

TEKTON 6219 15-Foot by 1-Inch Ratchet Tie Downs, 4-Piece
TEKTON 6219 15-Foot by 1-Inch Ratchet Tie Downs, 4-Piece
Price: $17.54
12 used & new from $11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little ratchet, June 17, 2014
I had to oil these when I first got them because the release mechanism was a bit tight, but after that they've worked like a charm. Very easy and quick to get a good snug fit. I use these for a tensioned sunshade application and they do a great job of getting the tension just right, and they're quick to set up and take down. My only gripe is that for my application I wish that the hooks weren't so far away from the ratchet, and I'm a little concerned that the webbing may fray (already showing some signs of wear). Otherwise, definitely a nice little piece of gear to have for strapping something in to the bed of a pickup, on to the roof of a car or any other time something needs to be tied down securely. A great value for a four-pack too.

Regalo Extra Wide 58 Inch WideSpan Walk Through Safety Gate, White
Regalo Extra Wide 58 Inch WideSpan Walk Through Safety Gate, White
Price: $49.98
14 used & new from $40.57

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid gate, if it fits right, June 17, 2014
There weren't many options when it came to finding a walk-through gate that could fit a large opening (in my case, between a wall and a kitchen island) so I pinned my hopes to this Regalo. So far, I can say I'm pretty happy with it, though there is some room for improvement.

First, the design is very flexible, with the base unit covering 27" (just under a standard door width) and three additional extenders provided, each of a different length to reach up to (I think) 54". I didn't use all the extenders, but with the right two I was able to get a really perfect fit in my space. That will not be true for everyone - some might find that there ends up being a pretty large gap between the gate and the wall. If you're lucky enough to get the right sizing, it's a snug fit. If it's not a snug fit however, you may be left cranking the threaded bolts all the way to the max, which leads to some floppy instability at the top. This is really the biggest design problem, as these bolts are somewhat loose in the sockets, especially if extended the full length. They would be better if they were threaded sockets and the bolts were thicker.

The biggest advantage of this system is the fact that it uses friction and pressure to hold it in place, rather than screwing in to a wall. In my case, that would have meant screwing in to the side of a cabinet which was unacceptable. I appreciate the design of this system, though it is inherently less strong than systems that screw in to place. There are "cups" that the ends of the bolts can fit in to reduce the risk that bumping or pushing on the top of the gate will make the pads slide, but these must be screwed in to the wall to work properly. I may try to fix these in place using something like a Command strip removable adhesive, but I can't say whether that will work well or not just yet.

For around $50, it's a great deal and the construction is very good. I only wish it were available in wood, or perhaps in another color.

Inglesina 2013 Fast Table Chair, Marina
Inglesina 2013 Fast Table Chair, Marina
Offered by Healthcheck Systems Inc
Price: $59.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Very convenient for counter tops, March 20, 2014
This works very well on our counter top - it's easy to put in place and is very secure when attached properly. The fact that it folds up makes it perfect for taking with you when you're going someplace that might not have a high chair, or even when you just want to throw it in the pantry at home. Overall safety and quality are top-notch, my only complaint is that it's hard to clean.

Black & Decker 3-in-1 Waffle Maker & Indoor Grill/Griddle
Black & Decker 3-in-1 Waffle Maker & Indoor Grill/Griddle
Price: $39.88
53 used & new from $29.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, March 20, 2014
I was excited at the prospect of getting a waffle maker and sandwich press in one unit, and this unit does a decent job at both. The heavy plates used as the griddle surface are good, and the nonstick coating makes cleanup easy. The way the plates connect to the unit, however, isn't all that well designed, and they tend to rattle around a bit. Construction quality is lower than expected on this unit, and the price seems high as a result.

OXO Good Grips 10-1/2-by-15-Inch Utility Cutting Board, Black
OXO Good Grips 10-1/2-by-15-Inch Utility Cutting Board, Black
Price: $14.99
23 used & new from $13.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, for plastic, March 20, 2014
I have always used wooden cutting boards, but when my last one warped beyond usabiltiy I figured I'd try these plastic ones. They're good - they are the perfect size for my needs and they stay in place well on the counter top. There is a small channel around the side to direct juices (I guess) though it isn't really all that useful. I like the fact that there is a "up side" and "down side" since this means food is always being cut on one surface, with the other on the counter - more sanitary that way. Overall I think these are great cutting boards and I'm sure they will last for years. I can't help but miss cutting on wood though...

Sand Omnibus
Sand Omnibus
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathless, March 20, 2014
This review is from: Sand Omnibus (Kindle Edition)
I was a huge fan of the Wool series, and when it ended I wanted more. Not necessarily more of the same world of post-apocalyptic underground silos, but more of the same kind of story that engrosses you in a world that is both foreign and familiar at the same time. I read a few other Howey stories, and quite enjoyed some of them (Molly Fyde never grabbed me, but I guess I'm in the minority there). But when I stumbled across the Sand series I hoped it would be just as captivating. I was not disappointed.

Sand is written in the snappy, fun style that Howey embodies - it's not overwritten, and it's a quick read. But despite the approachable style that makes it even appropriate for YA audiences, the characters and themes that Howey presents are thought-provoking and engaging. It's a great story and a great world. I hope to see more of the Sand universe from Howey at some point, but the way the series runs is satisfying on its own. Great job, Hugh.

Wahl Professional 8655-200 Peanut Clipper/trimmer, Black
Wahl Professional 8655-200 Peanut Clipper/trimmer, Black
Offered by ALL STAR BEAUTY
Price: $36.00
26 used & new from $34.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Tiny!, March 20, 2014
I ordered this because I thought it might be good for trimming my infant son's hair. Well, that doesn't work so well, but not because of the trimmer - it's just dang hard to get an infant to stand still for a trim. If you're doing a buzz-cut I guess this would work for infants though. It's pretty tiny, and instead of using it for my son's hair, I now use it to trim my own in between hair cuts. A little sideburn work, eyebrows, around the ears, etc and it's perfect for that. Small enough to be easily maneuvered, but if you're cutting a full-size adult head you probably want the bigger version. It comes with good accessories to - four sizes of guides that automatically cut to a certain length.At $25 it's worth it just to visit the barber a little less often.

Sand: Part 5 - A Rap Upon Heaven's Gate
Sand: Part 5 - A Rap Upon Heaven's Gate
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathless, March 20, 2014

Highwood Hamilton Folding and Reclining Adirondack Chair, Adult Size, Weathered Acorn
Price: $278.47
12 used & new from $248.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, Not Quite "Real" Wood, March 16, 2014
First I will say that the construction is quite solid, and it is pretty easy to assemble. I read at least one review which suggested the assembly was complicated or time-consuming - that couldn't be further from the truth. The chair took maybe 15 minutes to assemble and there are very few parts involved. It goes quicker with an electric screw driver, provided it accepts the included bit. The hex wrench (also included) slows things down a bit so if you have a hex bit that should speed things up even more. The instructions are relatively clear, and there was only one point at which I thought "which piece do they mean?" but it was obvious enough that I didn't take to long to figure it out.

The chair is pretty comfortable, and adjusts for three different seating positions. The mechanism that allows for this adjustment is somewhat stiff, and I imagine I'll just be leaving it in the middle position most of the time. The fact that it folds is nice because it means it's easy to throw in the shed when the weather gets bad, which should extend the life of the chair significanlty. One problem I had with the construction though was that the tolerance was a little bit off - adjusting the chair up or down did cause one part of the chair-back to come in to contact with the chair-seat, and the friction caused a small mark in the chair side. It's not noticable because it's on the back, so it's a minor cosmetic problem, but it did suggest that the fit was a little too close between these two pieces, and that should be corrected in the design.

Now, on to the most important point; the quality of the material. The synthetic wood is a quality plastic. It is dense, heavy and has a good texture to it. Most of the surfaces one would touch are smooth, though there are some pointy bits on some of the pieces (such as the top of the chair-back slats) that I wouldn't describe as "sharp" but it would be nice to have them sanded. I think that should be possible with this material, and plan to try that the next time the weather gets a little nicer. While the quality of the plastic is good, it's not really wood-like. The "grain" pattern is not very realistic in person, and the feel of it is probably best described as smooth or waxy. I think it would have been better in more of a matte finish instead. That said I don't regret buying this product - the cost is pretty high, but compared to the hassle of having to purchase (and assemble) probably four or five cedar chars over what is expected to be the life of this chair, it's overall a money and time saver.

Overall this is a four star chair - I'm generally not happy with plastic furniture but the quality of the material is much higher than other synthetic chairs that I've looked at, and I'm hoping that it lasts many years.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13