Profile for Nicodimus > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 46

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nicodimus RSS Feed (Hanover, PA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Star Wars Signature Series Force FX Lightsaber w/Removable Blade - Kit Fisto
Star Wars Signature Series Force FX Lightsaber w/Removable Blade - Kit Fisto
Price: $145.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, horrible stickers., May 7, 2014
The product itself is as expected. The sounds don't always respond with precision, but for this price, you can't expect perfection. Otherwise, I am pleased with the item itself. The stand was a nice touch.

The reason this item loses a star is because of the horrible stickers that are all over the hilt. Not only are there 5 of them for no good reason (this is a very simple device that a child could figure out, even without the included instructions) but they are the kind that tear no matter how carefully you try to remove them, and they leave behind a nasty, sticky residue. The only way I was able to clean this sticky gunk off was by very carefully wiping a paper towel soaked with Goo Gone over the affected areas repeatedly, being very careful not to touch any of the rubber rings, and then rinsing THAT nasty smell away with a wet paper towel, and drying it off with a dry paper towel. What a needless pain in the butt.

Panasonic DMW-LT55 55mm Tele Conversion Lens for Panasonic FZ7, FZ30, FZ18, and FZ50 Digital Cameras
Offered by Blue Grass Wholesale
Price: $198.88
3 used & new from $182.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money for wildlife photography, but keep some things in mind., March 21, 2014
I purchased this item (along with the DMW-LA7 tube) to use with the Panasonic FZ-200.

Overall, I am very pleased. This item does what it's supposed to do...it brings you closer to your subject with a very minimal loss of image quality. This is especially useful when shooting animals without getting so close that you scare them away. There is a bit of chromatic aberration at times, however, Adobe Lightroom 5 does a decent job of getting rid of most of it, and if there is any left after checking that 'Remove CA' box, you can edit it out yourself easily with a 'lower saturation' brush.

Things to keep in mind:

-After attaching this to the FZ-200, you need to go into the menu, scroll over to page 5, choose 'Conversion' and then 'T' for Teleconverter. This sets up your camera for this item. Your aperture will be limited to a minimum of 4, your zoom will be set to a minimum of 15X, and the image stabilization is enhanced, allowing you to get pretty sharp pictures while shooting handheld at max zoom (pretty incredible if you ask me. Also useful, since hikers don't always have time to set up a tripod when they come across an animal on the trail.) If you do have time to use a tripod, even better.

-Because your aperture is limited to F4 or larger, you can't get as much light in the camera as you normally can at F2.8. What this means is that you may need to raise your ISO to keep the same shutter speed that you're used to. Of course, it all depends on the light in your environment, but if you aren't mindful of this, it may come back to bite you. I don't recommend going over ISO400 with the FZ-200, as it gets very noisy once you do.

-Because your minimum zoom is limited to 15X, this means that you can't really use the camera for most other things such as many portraits or landscapes. It's just zoomed in too far. You can always unscrew the tube from the camera, but going back and forth in this way is time-consuming and annoying, and I have concerns about stripping the threads over time. I almost have to say "This hike will be for wildlife shots" and leave it on, or "this hike will be for everything BUT wildlife" and leave it off. Also, you need to remove the LA7 tube to safely change filters, which is a nuisance. At least it works with them, but it adds to the screwing/unscrewing process. Good info to know.

-The FZ-200 does focus better if you zoom all the way in to 48X (iZoom) rather than leaving it at 24X and cropping it later. The image quality will be otherwise identical once processed and cropped, but the focus at the time of shooting is better if you zoom in to 48X. Why? It beats me...the camera just handles it better for some reason. So, don't be afraid to use iZoom...in fact, it works better with this teleconverter.

-This setup makes your camera very front-heavy. Be especially careful on small/light tripods. Always put one leg of the tripod right under the front of the camera...even so, it will still tip over more easily, so be careful.

-I have also experimented with using this item with +1, +2, and +4 macro filters. At this time, I do not see any advantages to using this item during macro photography. It increases the range the camera can be away from the subject, but the image quality doesn't look any better to me. All things being equal, simpler is better. Less glass in front of your lens is also better.

-I will attempt to post a photo of the closest I could get to some Canada geese with the FZ-200 alone, and then another photo with this teleconverter added so you can see the difference.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Tripod Mount Ring D for Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens Camera
Tripod Mount Ring D for Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens Camera
Price: $8.18
14 used & new from $2.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job. Cheap, but sturdy., March 21, 2014
I purchased this to use with a Panasonic FZ-200 + DMW-LA7 converter tube + DMW-LT55 teleconverter. Initially, I thought that the item was too large, but eventually realized that I was trying to tighten it around the LA7 tube rather than around the actual camera itself (they blend together and look the same at first glance, but the tube is a little smaller.) As long as you tighten it around the actual end of the camera, it works fine.

Fotasy MLC 52mm 58mm Camera Filter Stack Caps
Fotasy MLC 52mm 58mm Camera Filter Stack Caps
Price: $8.14
2 used & new from $3.80

5.0 out of 5 stars The best ideas are often very simple., March 19, 2014
These do exactly what they're supposed to. My filters are protected, organized, and kept free of dust and dirt. Whoever thought of these, great job.

Movo Photo Neutral/Gold/Green Flash Diffuser Set for the Metz 44 AF-1 mecablitz Digital Flash
Offered by Movo Photo
Price: $11.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits perfectly on the Metz 44 AF-1., March 19, 2014
The white diffuser helps a bit with the harshness of the flash, but I still like to bounce it off the ceiling to diffuse the light further.

The orange diffuser is situational, and can be very good with sunrise/sunset portraits when you have that color of light around your subject and you need to roughly match it.

The green diffuser...I don't personally carry it. Maybe if you're going for some extremely artistic shots it could be fun, but that's it.

How to Be a 3% Man, Winning the Heart of the Woman of Your Dreams
How to Be a 3% Man, Winning the Heart of the Woman of Your Dreams
by Corey Wayne
Price: $26.99
42 used & new from $25.77

5.0 out of 5 stars If you keep getting dumped and you don't know why, get this book., February 4, 2014
I wish I had this book as a young man. I don't know where you're supposed to learn this stuff in the course of your normal life, honestly. However, if you seek out the knowledge, that effort already sets you apart from other men and your odds of success go up. This is not a guide on how to become a pick-up artist, but it includes a bit about how to approach women if you are shy.

While I found the insight to generally be very good, this book really needed an editor to smooth over the rough edges and give it a polished, professional feel. That's not enough to knock it down a star, though. The book by itself is good, but to be honest, you need to watch tons of the author's videos on youtube in addition to reading it in order to get the full experience and maximize your chances of success.

ArmorSuit MilitaryShield - Barnes & Noble NOOK HD 7" Screen Protector Anti-Bubble Ultra HD - Extreme Clarity & Touch Responsive with Lifetime Replacements Warranty
Offered by New Tech Accessories
Price: $29.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough solution included., September 28, 2013
The instructions say to spray your fingers with the solution, and then both sides of the screen protector.

The problem with this is that the amount of solution included in this kit is very, very small and you can't see how much is left in the little spray bottle. I ran out shortly after spraying my fingertips. As a result, I could not apply the protector properly and had to throw it away. I hate throwing $14 (price plus shipping) away like that, and you probably do too. Will be looking for a different solution.

TP-LINK TL-WR702N Wireless N150 Travel Router, Nano Size, Router/AP/Client/Bridge/Repeater Modes, 150Mpbs, USB Powered
Price: $16.99
110 used & new from $14.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but had a really dumb issue during setup., September 21, 2013
I just got an Android tablet, but my router is a standard wired one, so I needed a way to give the tablet internet access. This item was it.

It works perfectly now, but I did not give it 5 stars. Why? To make a long story short, I kept getting the message "Authentication Problem" while trying to connect, and wasted a couple of hours trying everything under the sun to get it to work. After much frustration, I figured out the problem...I had been typing in the wrong password. Now, you could easily pin that on me as a careless mistake, but it wasn't. The problem lies in the fact that:

THE PASSWORD IS WRITTEN SO SMALL ON THE DEVICE THAT YOU CANNOT ACCURATELY READ IT WITH THE NAKED EYE.

I'm not kidding. I held it up to my face, trying to make out what the letters and numbers were, and what I initially wrote down had one error because I couldn't clearly make out what the character was. What I ended up having to do is pull out my digital camera, put it in Macro mode, take a super close-up of the password, and then view that picture on my PC monitor to be able to make out the characters accurately. I know it's a small device, but there is other information written on the device as well, and it is a larger size and I can read it fine. There is no reason for the password text to be as small as it is. Because I spent a couple of hours getting mad for no good reason, I'm giving the device 4 stars instead of 5.

Barnes & Noble OV/HB-ADP Universal Power Kit
Barnes & Noble OV/HB-ADP Universal Power Kit
2 used & new from $28.99

3.0 out of 5 stars $45 for a power cord? Good luck with that., September 18, 2013
Go to Target or Barnes and Noble instead, and pay $25 (which is still a huge markup, considering they make the thing for 50 cents.) This is the worst option if you need one of these. It's price gouging, pure and simple.

Cyclo PCI Slot Blue LED Fan
Cyclo PCI Slot Blue LED Fan

5.0 out of 5 stars A big temperature difference for a very inexpensive item. Keep your GPU cool!, August 1, 2013
Before installation of this product, my GPU idled at 38 degrees. Under full load, it got as warm as 73 degrees.

After installation of this product, my GPU idled at 32 degrees. Under full load, it got as warm as 59 degrees.

Is keeping your graphics card 14 degrees cooler under full load (when it matters most) worth $13? I certainly think so. I concede the fact that your case/graphics card/room temps are going to be different than mine, so your results may vary. However, even if it kept my GPU half that cool (7 degrees lower) I still think it would be worth the money. Cool hardware is happy, longer-lived hardware. If you're wondering, my graphics card is the modest Radeon 7750 overclocked about 10% from the factory settings. I installed this fan two slots up from the graphics card (one empty slot in between them.)

Other thoughts: Noise increase is not noticeable at all (this fan is only rated at 21db.) Increased power draw is negligible. It was easy to install and hook up. It does glow blue if you care (I don't see it with my solid case, but you might have a clear one.) As long as this thing doesn't die any time soon, it deserves a 5-star rating.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5