Profile for T. W. Hook > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

T. W. Hook "TWH" RSS Feed (Southbury, CT)

Gitzo GT3540LS Series 3 Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber 4 Section G-Lock Tripod
Gitzo GT3540LS Series 3 Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber 4 Section G-Lock Tripod

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gitzo GT3540LS is the final choice for me, May 31, 2008
I traded up from a Manfrotto 3021 Pro because of load capacity (39 pounds); overall weight of the tripod itself (3.8 pounds); the size when folded up (less than 22 inches long); and the ease of use in set-up and break-down. The Gitzo is an engineering marvel, is rock steady and even with four sections is faster to set-up than the Manfrotto. It has no center column (although as an option you can add one) allowing for being right at ground level which is great for macro shooting. I also use it for my spotting scope when birding and when combined with a Really Right Stuff BH 55, I can easily carry it into the field, set it up quickly and lock onto birds and track them easily. Finally with a heavier lens like a 70-200, it is unmovable unless I choose to move it. When I finally can afford a longer lens, the GT3540LS will doubtless carry the weight with ease. This tripod was well worth the extra expense and I don't imagine I'll ever need another one.

The Histories of Middle Earth, Volumes 1-5
The Histories of Middle Earth, Volumes 1-5
by J. R. R. Tolkien
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $34.69
65 used & new from $21.54

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheaply Printed Versions of Important Tolkien Work, November 4, 2006
I bought this set of the first five volumes of Tolkien's history of Middle Earth and while all the content is there, the quality of the publications is mass paperbook at its worst. Dry scratchy paper, type that is too small for my tired eyes to read and cheap bindings that were I to continually use would no doubt fall apart before the paper turned yellow. But then what do you expect for $20? As I became more interested in Tolkien and realized that I would use these books both for pleasure and reference and would doubtless return to them again and again, I decided to spring for the Harper Collins three volume set (published in 2002) that includes all twelve books of the histories in an attractive and efficient three volume set. It cost close to $200 for the set because I had to order them from AMAZON.UK but I'm happy when I see them on the shelf and pick one up to read. They are a substantial presence as befits the content. (I would also recommend buying the History of Middle Earth Index to go along with these books as it ties them all together with one common index rather than the the separate ones for each of the twelve volumes.)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2011 7:48 PM PDT