Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer "Bibliofiend445" RSS Feed (Central Coast, CA)

The Remaining
The Remaining
DVD

4.0 out of 5 stars A novel take on End of Days scripture., February 1, 2015
I was very pleasantly surprised to see this treatment of the Rapture and the End of Days handled with such respect. I thought it a unique method bringing the scripture to a medium that might just get it some attention. With all that said, the film itself is well done and the tension and confusion and the fear are conveyed with skill. Sure, it was preachy, but it also made me jump a couple of times.

Fire Birds (The King Of Clayfield Book 3)
Fire Birds (The King Of Clayfield Book 3)
Price: $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Zombies, cosplay and loose church girls, oh my..., March 12, 2014
I've been downright enthralled with these KING OF CLAYFIELD novels. In a genre that's crowded, to say the least, what we have here in these fast paced novels is memorable stuff and a worthy addition to the better body of zombie survival/horror fiction. FIRE BIRDS, the third and final (?)installment in this series finds our hero, No Name Museum curator, once more trying to figure out how to survive in his post-apocalyptic hometown of Clayfield, KY. At the opening of FIRE BIRDS, he is alone and it's eating at him. However, for good or ill, that loneliness doesn't last. What follows are a series of brutal misadventures and miscommunications that leave him and his fellow survivors one step ahead of joining the ranks of the living dead.

The characters, their motives, and how they interact with one another are very well realized in all three novels, but Shane Gregory outdoes himself with this concluding volume. Zombies, psychopaths, church girls gone bad and a particularly clingy frat boy who calls everyone, "bro," make for a memorable read in the land of the living dead. We're talking actin and adventure, life and death struggles, and cosplay gone so very wrong, it has to be experienced.

It is my fervent hope that Gregory will return the readers to Clayfield, KY sometime soon, so that we may see how the intrepid Museum curator has fared.

Day by Day Armageddon: Grey Fox
Day by Day Armageddon: Grey Fox
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A tasty bit from the world of DBDA!, March 6, 2014
As a devoted fan of Mr. Bourne's vision of the zombie apocalypse, I was delighted to see this latest offering! I loved every bit of it and can only hope that our intrepid journaler and zombie killer will be heard from again. It can't be stressed enough that if you haven't read Bourne's trilogy, this isn't going to make much sense to you. For those of us that have, it was nice to know our hero was still there, still amongst the living and doing what he does best: surviving! My only complaint, and a majority of fans will agree, is that it was too short! I wanted more!

I, for one, will be on the look out for another installment (novel) or a dispatch (short story), from the DBDA universe.

The Apocalypse (The Undead World Series Book 1)
The Apocalypse (The Undead World Series Book 1)
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A standout title in a crowded field., March 4, 2014
While there is no shortage of zombie apocalypse tales to attract the attention of those interested in the genre, this particular title stands out. Meredith's take on the zombie apocalypse is brutal and unrelenting. His characters make compromises in the name of survival. Compromises that would be unthinkable were it not for the fact that the entire world is being consumed by the dead. A global nightmare that is unleashed with the bungled handling of a biological weapon that shouldn't have existed and yet did. A weapon that is sold to terrorists who unleash it in their stupidity. What follows are the trials and tribulations of a varied assortment of people who somehow survive. These people, these characters, are well realized and the perils and dangers they face make for a page turner.

Some of the events depicted in Meredith's tale, especially those having to do with the political and military response to the crisis, ring brutally true. It's not an uplifting tale of heroes and heroines, it's a tale of survival. Those survivors were interesting. I found myself invested in them. I read The Apocalypse enthusiastically and once I came to the end of it, I found myself wanting more.

It's a memorable tale and is well worth a read for those enthusiasts of the zombie apocalypse.

The Silver Tower (Sawkill Book 2)
The Silver Tower (Sawkill Book 2)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, sick and wrong. Good stuff!, May 8, 2013
Seriously dark and twisted! I must say that the author offers us a bit of fresh hell from the zombie apocalypse.

Day by Day Armageddon
Day by Day Armageddon
by J. L. Bourne
35 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Zombie diary with cult appeal., March 30, 2006
This review is from: Day by Day Armageddon (Paperback)
While DAY BY DAY ARMAGEDDON is by no means the best post-apocalyptic book I have ever read, it certainly isn't the worst. This is a funky end of the world tale told in the first person, in a diary format, by a Navy pilot who no longer has a Navy to fly for when the dead begin to walk the earth. By telling the story in this manner, we see this horrible new world through the eyes of this one man as he attempts to survive. There's great attention to detail, including the notation of the time when something is written, which adds a touch of urgency, a bit of authenticity to this story.

Mr. Bourne, like me, is obviously a fan of post-apocalyptic fiction, and he shows his enthusiasm with this tale. This is not the sort of book you can recommend to just anybody; however, fans of "the end of the world" genre and all things zombie should really get a kick out of this little number. Like many of the other reviewers, I first learned about this book via the forum over at Zombiehunters.org, where it's been well received by the people who frequent the site. DAY BY DAY ARMAGEDDON is a "word of mouth" phenomenon, and as far as I am concerned, there is no higher praise than that, as it's always cool to see a book you enjoy attain a cult status. Now that I am familiar with Mr. Bourne's work, I will certainly be anticipating the second volume of his tale.

Cell: A Novel
Cell: A Novel
by Stephen King
613 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars King does the end of the world... again., January 28, 2006
This review is from: Cell: A Novel (Hardcover)
Being a constant reader, I have had my fair share of criticisms when it comes to the works of Mr. King; however, CELL is just plain old fashioned fun, moving at a pace that really makes this a page turner. It gives us a cast of characters we come to care about who find themselves in Boston when the Pulse hits and the world starts to circle a drain that comes out in Hell. The Pulse being a signal sent out via cellular phones and turning those that hear it into crazed zombie like killers. It's been done before, sure; but then, what hasn't been? There is no surprise that the journey will end in Maine (all roads end or go through Maine for Mr. King -- someone get the man a statue on the grounds of the state capital already!) and you know he'll throw you some curve balls and freak you out. He accomplishes this quite nicely in CELL.

If you are reading King expecting WAR AND PEACE or TOM SAWYER, well, good luck with that. Those folks who express their displeasure by saying they've wasted their money need to remember that King's work shows up in paperback; usually, before you know it. If you read King to be entertained and discuss his work with half of your friends who will be reading it, this one is a no brainier, buy it, read it, and enjoy it!

At the end of CELL, there's a caveat about how Mr.King doesn't own a cell phone. Oddly enough, that was the one bit about the book that I didn't quite buy. Oh well.

Riddley Walker, Expanded Edition
Riddley Walker, Expanded Edition
by Russell Hoban
Price: $16.99
98 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars You love or you hate it!, August 31, 2005
I have a keen interest in apocalyptic fiction, so when the subject came up with a friend last year, he mentioned RIDDLEY WALKER, insisting that I would love it. He warned me about the broken English the author used to convey the first person tale of the hero in a world nearly reverted to the stone age. Intrigued, I looked it up and saw all the glowing reviews. It seemed to be all that my friend said it was. I ordered a copy and was actually looking forward to the experience. Alas, after getting about two thirds of the way through this novel (and that was a slog, I assure you!) I finally closed the covers and gave up. I see how much work was put into the novel, I get how this novel could attain a cult status; however, as with nearly all things "cultish", you either love it or hate it. RIDDLEY WALKER turned out to be the first book I gave up on in years.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2013 3:50 PM PDT