Profile for Brian B. Carter > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brian B. Carter RSS Feed (North Charleston, SC USA)

The Marketing Executive's Bedtime Guide to Better Content and Storytelling with Humor (Executive's Bedtime Guide to Storytelling Book 5)
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What I Learned About Midgets From Kathy Klotz-Guest, July 31, 2014
Actually, nothing- but humor is a powerful weapon in the marketer's toolbelt, and in the leader's quiver (that thing that holds arrows). A lot of companies are afraid to use humor, so they miss out. Kathy tells you how to use it and HOW NOT TO USE IT... and things have changed. As she says, SAFE is the new RISKY. Get the book, and start trying to be funny. You probably won't be as funny as me. But you should try.

Failure: The Secret to Success
Failure: The Secret to Success
Price: $1.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Slaughter Your Way To Success, July 9, 2014
I've read Failing Forward by Maxwell. I talk about failure and success in my keynotes. I use the same Michael Jordan quote Robby did... so naturally I had to ask- what's different about this book on success and failure? What I like about this book is it provides specific ideas for doing things differently- chapters four and five alone are worth reading the book for. How can you fail faster? On purpose? And why is that good? The only thing I would do differently, is - being a comedian - I would have called it FAILURE: How To Slaughter Your Way To Success, with Robby Slaughter :-)

What Happens in Vegas Stays on YouTube: PRIVACY is DEAD. The NEW rules for business, personal, and family reputation.
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ginormously FLAWsome, June 28, 2014
Erik Qualmann shows us how society has been changed on almost every level by the public nature of social media. This is not only a useful book, but fun and easy to read. I love the concept of FLAWsome, and as you'll find out, it can boost your business as well. And making ginormous public goals? Wow, intimidating, but not only can it make you accountable for pursuing them but also get you help from people in ways you couldn't have anticipated! What's awesome about this book is that it's so easy to read- quotes, cartoons, lists. Not page after page of block text. Facebook and other media are making out attention span even shorter, so this is a smart way to ensure people actually read your book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2014 11:23 AM PDT

Networking Is Not Working: Stop Collecting Business Cards and Start Making Meaningful Connections
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not that crappy networking you're thinking of, May 7, 2014
Derek Coburn's new book on Networking...

*** Now wait a minute, it's not what you're thinking. It's not that crappy networking you're thinking of. It's not going to a luncheon where the yellow pages guy tries to used-car you into buying a full page ad.

Derek has a totally new take on networking- well ok SOME people have been doing it this way for years, but he's put it into a system you can follow easily.

This is how everyone will *badly want to* network in 5 years, but by then there will be so many people knocking at the door... I'm not going to tell you why, but all I'm saying is you need to put this into practice NOW before the potential high value networks are already spoken for. And you're stuck just talking to the yellow pages guy.

Who's Derek? He grew and runs an amazing networking group in Washington D.C. called Cadre. Ok I'll tell you why. One of the keys to taking networking to the next level is WHO you network with, and HOW.

Connect, Create, Collaborate- ok do you get it? It's the next evolution of networking.

The book is called "Networking is Not Working", it's very forward thinking in two other ways- it's only 114 pages, so you can read it in a few hours, and it's only $2.99.

I think he's smart to price it that low initially, but crazy overall- maybe he'll increase the price later on, so I'd get your copy right now.

$3 to potentially change your career? You're crazy if you just go like pictures of cats on Facebook instead of clicking here and buying i

Improv For Everyone
Improv For Everyone
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Student of Greg's, February 20, 2014
Greg's strength as a a teacher is that he can break down processes you can use internally to create not only better comedy but also better drama. You can divide the great people in any field into two types: Masters who know how they do what they do and can teach it to others, and the Mystics who are great at doing it but struggle to explain it or pass it on. Greg is definitely the former type. There are so many great exercises and tips in this book, any improviser could mine its riches it for a good five years of continued growth. My favorite chapter, and a class he offered, was the Microtechniques. Just taking one or two of these to focus on for a scene or performance helps me do better work that the audience likes more, and I enjoy. Highly recommended.

Think Like Zuck: The Five Business Secrets of Facebook's Improbably Brilliant CEO Mark Zuckerberg
by Ekaterina Walter
Price: $20.48
75 used & new from $0.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat Pray Zuck, January 18, 2013
Love him or hate him, Facebook's CEO Mark Zuckerberg redefined the way we communicate, build brands, and consumer information. No matter what we think of him, there is a ton to learn from his leadership and one of his leadership team (Sheryl Sandberg, for one). Besides, the book doesn't only focus on Facebook, there are examples of other worthy companies like Apple, Zappos, Threadless, and also less known companies like TOMS Shoes, Connected Ventures, XPLANE and Jess3.

No matter who you are and what your job is, you'll find lessons you can apply immediately. This book is a wonderful reminder to all of us about the most important things in life and business. Easy, quick... an engaging read, full of stories that will make you want to read it without putting it down.

The Social Media Strategist:  Build a Successful Program from the Inside Out
The Social Media Strategist: Build a Successful Program from the Inside Out
by Christopher Barger
Price: $19.60
72 used & new from $1.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Book For Corporate Social Media Folks, February 21, 2012
Can I whine for a sec? I have a hard time reading social media books, because usually I know 85%+ of what's in them. Usually they're written to inform people who know zero about it. But this book is smart, fills a gap, and isn't filled with the same high-falutin clichés you've read on social media blogs for the last four straight years. Disclosure: Chris is a good friend, and is holding my firstborn son hostage.

The strength of Chris's book, The Social Media Strategist: Build A Successful Program From The Inside Out comes from the 4 years he spent as the director of Social Media for General Motors, and 8 years as Blogger In Chief for IBM (important note that lawyers care about: Chris is no longer with these companies and is now the proud SVP of Global Programs for Voce Communications).

As Chris says in the introduction, this is a social media book for people who either work in huge organizations, or work with them. It's not a book for small business people who want to get social media results. But it's brilliant when it comes to dealing with corporate politics, PR, and crisis communication.

Some of the questions it answers are:

How do you select a social media person to hire?
Why should you befriend the corporate lawyers and how do you work with them effectively?
Why do you need an executive who champions social media in the company?
How can a big company work effectively with bloggers to get social media results?
How should the social media department deal with major PR crises?
Chris answers all of these based on experience, not theory. If you're working in a big corp or dealing with their social media, it's a must read. Click here and buy it.

Humanize: How People-Centric Organizations Succeed in a Social World
Humanize: How People-Centric Organizations Succeed in a Social World
by Maddie Grant
Price: $18.41
65 used & new from $0.05

5.0 out of 5 stars I Wasn't Allowed To Be Human At Work So I Quit, October 12, 2011
Why is there such a big difference between our lives and our work? Why do organizations struggle to make Social Media work?

For the same reasons... we don't bring our humanity to work, and big organizations institutionalize inhuman activities. Customers don't like being treated like a number.

Authors Maddie Grant and Jamie Notter unravel these dehumanizing forces and recommend solutions in their new book Humanize: How People-Centric Organizations Succeed in a Social World. I interviewed them to help you get a sense of the importance and power of this book. Also, the book is hardcover, so if someone at your company doesn't "get it", you can hit them on the head with the book until they do.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2011 1:21 PM PDT

The Profession: A Thriller
The Profession: A Thriller
by Steven Pressfield
113 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Credible, Fascinating Near-Future History, July 2, 2011
I've read three Pressfield novels this year: Virtues of War, Gates of Fire, and The Profession. I stalled out on Rommel, but I will probably try to keep reading it after the awe I experienced reading The Profession. One of the things that was so great about Virtues was Alexander's daemon- true or not, an incredibly powerful literary device. This device is not as dominant in The Profession, but plays a role.

I see other reviewers who were disappointed were stopped by too many technical details. I have to admit, at times I felt like I was watching Syriana, a movie that combined The West Wing's too-fast-talking with an encyclopedic knowledge of the Middle East. And I admit, I knew virtually nothing about the M.E. before 9/11. But as so many popular thrillers have moved their settings to that part of the world, I've picked up a lot more. All I can say is, if you are willing to skip over some of the details (this is a reading skill- you don't actually have to understand everything- and it's easier if you're trapped on a 5 hour flight like I was), you'll be rewarded in the end.

This novel isn't just one thing- it's a portrait of the pure warrior, it's tactical, action and thriller, but it's also strategy. If you've enjoyed Orson Scott Card's Bean novels, especially the ones with Achilles, you'll recognize some of that political/war strategy play here.

But probably the MOST impressive thing about this novel is it's set 20 years from now, so it's recognizable, and yet the historic evolutions and corporate mergers Pressfield suggests are SO believable (and this is coming from a guy who lives in the Google/Facebook/marketing/media world), and his characters act and talk like real people would in these new situations that it made me realize that a lot of future/scifi writers really don't believe the world they've created. Pressfield's 2032 is utterly realistic, and his characters believable, which makes it almost feel like you're reading history rather than future. The details of companies, deals and marketing shows incredible depth of multi-disciplinary understanding.

Juxtaposing that with how he brought to life the details and personalities of Alexander and the Spartans in Virtues and Gates tells me that Pressfield has quite a gift and probably incredible research/writing techniques.

The Real Truth about Success:  What the Top 1% Do Differently, Why They Won't Tell You, and How You Can Do It Anyway!
The Real Truth about Success: What the Top 1% Do Differently, Why They Won't Tell You, and How You Can Do It Anyway!
by Garrison Wynn
Price: $17.08
84 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Real, useful and the funniest biz book I've ever read, October 24, 2009
I'm a big reader. Well ok I guess I'm a little reader at just 5'6" but I do read a LOT of books, about 75 a year, and about 10 of those are business books. I've read fewer business books over the last couple years, because my experience in business is different from what most of these high falutin PhD business book writers recommend. In fact, I've learned some lessons from trying to implement "book smarts" in the business world. It's not always a good idea!

But Garrison Wynn's Real Truths are just that- both getting at the real advantages people have (sometimes it's being the boss's son) and the psychological compulsions we can leverage in ourselves- both are real, in my experience. Finding out that sometimes it's not that you suck, it's just that the other guy was related to the owner, can actually be encouraging. Then you can look for your own advantages, build relationships, and use them to succeed.

And this is the first biz book I've read where I laughed at about every other page, sometimes twice a page. Garrison's comedic experience, and his funny keynote speeches (watch some on his website, as funny as any comedy central comedian, which isn't saying much- actually as funny as the best of those) both have happened because he's naturally funny- he thinks differently than most- so that makes it insightful and hilarious. E.g. watch out for these humor gems: Giant Smart Guy and why we follow him, Michael Phelps' disturbing amazingness, and why some people make those around them lose the will to live.

Useful, true, and funny. A great, insightful, and because of the humor, recreational experience. I highly recommend it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 24, 2012 3:04 PM PDT