Profile for Jennifer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 36

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jennifer RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
LeapFrog LeapReader Reading and Writing System, Green
LeapFrog LeapReader Reading and Writing System, Green
Price: $33.49
41 used & new from $33.49

5.0 out of 5 stars but I love how this system is fostering a love of reading ..., December 3, 2014
My 4 year-old loves it! So far, we just have this starter pack with the green pen & the sample book. Each page of this included book is really an excerpt from another book. For example, one page is about Dinosaurs, one pages shows Tad & Lilly, one page shows Cinderella, one page shows a race scene from Cars the movie, one page is from Scooby-Doo, etc. However, my 4 year-old doesn't care at all about the continuity (or lack of it) from page to page.
When he wakes up in the morning, he wants to practice "reading" and at nighttime he won't go to bed unless he gets to "read by himself." He can't really read yet, but I love how this system is fostering a love of reading for him. It's great to see him so excited about this day after day!

BB and the Cat
BB and the Cat
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, December 1, 2014
This review is from: BB and the Cat (Kindle Edition)
Fun book with wonderful pictures! This looks fantastic on my Kindle Fires!

Wacces Exercise Fitness Gymnastic Rings
Wacces Exercise Fitness Gymnastic Rings
Offered by WCS STORE
Price: $21.95
2 used & new from $21.95

5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun!, October 23, 2014
Make sure to do a youtube search for "ratchet strap" or "gymnastics rings strap." The first time I fed the strap through the buckle, it kept sliding for my 40 pound 4 year-old. I did an internet search for "gymnastics rings strap" or "gymnastics rings buckle" and found a 20 second youtube video showing the correct way to use a ratchet strap.
Once I got that figured out, it works perfectly!!! We also got a doorway gym and attached the rings to it so that they can be used indoor year-round. So much fun!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Department 56 Seasons Bay Adirondack Chairs - Set of 4 #53436
Department 56 Seasons Bay Adirondack Chairs - Set of 4 #53436
Offered by Chesterton Manor
Price: $20.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Title is a LIE. Title says "Department 56 Seasons ..., July 15, 2014
Title is a LIE. Title says "Department 56 Seasons Bay Adirondack Chairs - Set of 4 #53436" Title indicates it's a set of 4 chairs. However, these aren't real chairs. They're for dollhouses. Title should not say set of 4 Adirondack chairs without indicating that they're for fairy gardens or dollhouses. Title is a lie. Do not buy as a chair.

The Writing Claw Size Small 5 Ct. Bag
The Writing Claw Size Small 5 Ct. Bag
Offered by Wellness Shoppe
Price: $11.48
4 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Yay! I love it for my 3 year-old, June 12, 2014
My 3 year-old was so behind on holding crayons/chalk/pencils. It seems like all of the other kids in his preschool class could grip properly but he just clenched things in his fist. I got this pack of 5 small & it works for regular crayons (I don't think jumbo size crayons would work), skinny old-fashioned chalk, and pencils. He likes figuring out where his fingers go & it's really helped.

Didax Dd-210829 Tactile Sandpaper Lowercase Letters
Didax Dd-210829 Tactile Sandpaper Lowercase Letters
Offered by THE BT GROUP
Price: $12.81
19 used & new from $11.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Order received exactly as expected., June 12, 2014
The product received was exactly the product described. I used a recipe box & put the upper case letters on one side & the lower case letters next to them. Straight forward product & just as advertised. :)

Didax - Tactile Sandpaper Uppercase Letters

Metro Mags Clear Colors 16 Piece Set - Mini Rectangles
Metro Mags Clear Colors 16 Piece Set - Mini Rectangles
Price: $26.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating for my 4 year old., June 12, 2014
I know I got the cheap set, so I suppose it's my fault as much as the product's. I thought that it would be a self-contained box of fun, but it's just boring & frustrating for my 4 year-old. Since there are only rectangles (which is clearly labeled), he can't really make any fun shapes. Also, since magnets work by having some positive & some negative, not all parts of one rectangle can connect with all parts of another rectangle. It seems obvious now, and I might not be explaining it well, but sometimes if he wants to make a particular shape, he can't because the two positives repel each other. Since there's only one shape in this kit, and all are identical, if he has trouble with one, he has trouble with all. At 4 he doesn't quite get why, so he gets frustrated and quits.
Since my son is 4, he's still trying to figure out how to make 2D shapes and doesn't have the gentle touch required for making 3D shapes - when he tries doing something 3D because his 2D designs aren't working, everything just collapses into a frustrated heap.

These are durable & big enough that I wouldn't be worried about any younger kids choking. So, they seem safe & sturdy. However, because of the limited shape, they're not fun for my 4 year old. I'd recommend a kit with different color shapes.
This isn't related, so I don't know if it's appropriate, but we also got something called "Crystal Climbers" to use on his Crayola Light Tracing pad (our cheap version of a light table that works really well.) Again he's not dexterous enough to do 3D shapes, but for making 2D designs on a light table, Crystal Climbers & the Crayola Light up Tracing Pad were what he preferred doing instead.

Security Fashion Hourglass 1 Minutes Sand Timer -Red
Security Fashion Hourglass 1 Minutes Sand Timer -Red
Offered by ColorMax.Co.,Ltd
Price: $18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this timer for my troublesome preschooler!, June 12, 2014
We got this when my son was 3 1/2 and starting to have some behavior issues. Until he started preschool, he was my sweet little guy. Around the time he started school, around 3 1/2, he started talking back, which I suppose is normal. In the past, he listened to me, but it started getting to the point that I started implementing time-outs. Since he's young, and I want the time-out to be a somewhat positive thing where he can give himself time to cool off (rather than me yelling & having it being a punishment), I got this big red timer. It's easy for him to see & understand the progress. I ask him to sit in the chair until the timer is over. If he gets up, I set it on it's side to pause, put him back in the chair, and repeat. We've tried other timers (digital clock which he can't really read or me just telling him when the time is up) but they haven't worked. I think that since he can see & understand, this one gives him a little sense of control - or at least he knows how much time he's got left.
He actually responded surprisingly well to it that I use it to help him understand when bath time is, when nap time is, when to turn off the kindle, etc. I just tell him he can do xyz until the timer's up then he needs to do the next thing. He thinks it's "his" timer now & it's actually helped with not only time-outs, but transitions in general.
He was having some transition issues at school too (not going to circle time when asked, not cleaning up when asked) so I got one for his teacher. It's kind of lame that he sits there staring at this thing for a minute before each transition, but at least he's not throwing transition related fits in school. At the end of the school year I asked for it back so we can use it for next year's class.

Marbulous-Translucent Marble Run (48 pieces plus 16 marbles)
Marbulous-Translucent Marble Run (48 pieces plus 16 marbles)
Offered by Kaplan Early Learning Company
Price: $34.95

5.0 out of 5 stars My son just turned 4 and LOVES this, June 12, 2014
My son just turned 4 and this is both his & my favorite game. He has Sensory Processing Disorder, related to visual, auditory, and vestibular senses. Because he tends to get overstimulated with visual input, he usually just bounces from activity to activity in the room and never sits still longer than 2 or 3 minutes - even in school which is a big problem.
At his preschool, his teacher broke out a marble run like this & I couldn't believe that he sat there mesmerized for 20 minutes at a time. This kid is usually so hyper, but this is visually entrancing enough it will calm him down. The set came with something like 7 or 10 silver marbles, which wasn't quite enough because sometimes they'd all be making their way through the chutes and when he'd have to wait, he'd sometimes get bored. We discovered that his plastic lacing beads work, too, although they're light enough that sometimes they don't have enough weight to make it through all of the fun parts alone. Once a second lacing bead gives them a nudge, they're fine. I'm not sure what size the marbles are, but they look pretty standard.

If you have a kid that seems visually too distracted to pay attention to anything anytime, I really recommend giving this a try. It's amazing to see my son sit engaged with something for 20+ minutes!!! :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4