Profile for emily swan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

emily swan "emily" RSS Feed (florida)

Steel City: Part One
Steel City: Part One

1.0 out of 5 stars Steel City Best Forgotten, January 12, 2013
I grabbed this book because it was about my hometown, Pittsburgh. The reviews were amazing and the book was free, so why not. As a former journalism major I thought the writing was too clean, too basic, too un-pittsburghese. All of the characters spoke nicely, but not like those in the burgh. There wasn't even a drop of the western Pennsylvania language. If I hadn't grown up in the area, I would have wondered why they were guarding the Fort Pitt bridge and I'm still wondering because it certainly isn't the only way into the city. Descriptions of people were something out of other books I've read and the story just wasn't plausible to me, that in the event of disaster, that Pittsburgh stands on the mighty Allegheny. I hope I'm wrong, but I would guess that the 10 reviews raving about the book were relatives of the author. It took me back to the stories we used to write in creative writing in high school. I'm sorry that I've been so hard on this book and wish I could offer more optimism but I just had to put it aside.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2013 3:47 PM PST

The Forgotten (John Puller series Book 2)
The Forgotten (John Puller series Book 2)
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars John Puller is the best!, December 15, 2012
John Puller is an army criminal investigator who sounds a lot like Jack Reacher but really isn't anything like him because Puller is still employed by the army, has a father who's a general, two star no less, and a brother who's serving time for treason in a federal army prison. The book starts out a little slow, wondering where it's going, but at last it takes off and Puller does what he does best. No one in the army is as good a criminal investigator than Puller and this time, he gets a little help from his galpal, a one-star general. Together with a little help from unknown friends, he wipes out the bad guys, helps the good ones, and I've got to say, much more interesting than Reacher. Although, in the last Child's book, Reacher came across a deputy named Puller who was dumb, or at least was described as falling on his head when he was little, there's absolutely no comparison with the real Puller. He's a man's man. An army all by himself and is to be feared by our enemies. Looking forward to the next book.

The Last Minute (Sam Capra Book 2)
The Last Minute (Sam Capra Book 2)
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Thriller, July 6, 2012
Sam Capra, former CIA and hero of "Adrenaline", again fights off international criminals and tries to save the life of his new-born child while his ex-wife lies in a coma. The book is fast-paced, full of thrills-a-minute while Sam fights off criminal factions from all sides, including his former friends from the CIA. Mila, his mentor from "Adrenaline", is also back and this time she reveals how she became the woman who will go up against anything and anyone. Her part of the story is mesmerizing to say the least and reveals another chapter in the Sam Capra series. Sam is forced to team up with another woman who also had her child taken from her by the mysterious criminal factions that seem to multiply, not knowing which side is the right side, and their hopeless job is to find and kill an innocent man if they want their children back. Fortunately, Sam is an expert in parkour, jumping and running off buildings and roofs which help him in fighting the odds. It looks like there will be another Sam Capra book in the future. If you like an exciting book, hard to put down, this is it.

Alone (The 'Serenity' Series Book 1)
Alone (The 'Serenity' Series Book 1)
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book?, June 7, 2012
The folks that gave this book 5 stars have been reading childrens' books, not adult books. The writing is far from being called good. It's composed of short sentences, simple language, and a story that reeks of taking from other books. The woman vampire has "red hair" and is "mean". Sound familiar? Like Twilight's Victoria? She wants to kill Serenity. Sounds familiar? Serenity meets this vampire man as she's walking down the street. Aha! He falls in love with her just like that. This reminds me of the books I read in my pre-teens. It's not adult aimed. He leaves her so she can live a normal life. Sound familiar? Book 2 of the Twilight series? I won't find out if he returns in any other of her books. Couldn't care less about this unbelievably handsome man. Wish I could find one walking down the street.

Defending Jacob: A Novel
Defending Jacob: A Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing story, June 2, 2012
This is probably one of the most "amazing" novels I have read in a very long time and I read constantly. I became the mother in the book, not because my son is like Jacob, but you just can't help becoming Laurie, feeling her emotions, living with the breath being sucked out of you each and every day. I couldn't put the book down and when it came to the end, I wanted to call the writer up and ask him why he would ever end the book. I wanted to go on and on and on. Frankly, this novel will eat you up and spit you out The story will stay with you a long time and you will find it difficult to put away the thoughts and emotions that gripped your insides. It's a "now" story, a "today" story, a most "satisfying" story. Thank you William Landay.

Insurgent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 2)
Insurgent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 2)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $7.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, May 30, 2012
After reading the first book, I should have probably been contented to quit but I didn't and got the second book, "Insurgent", which was like turning the next page of the first book. It appeared that the author just had too much for one book so she quit and then gave a different name to the second book which picks up on the opening page. If I had been twelve years old I might have been able to say better things about this book but I'm afraid that pre-teens are the targeted audience for this book. This is a tale of a girl who in our time would need to be on medication since she's more or less interested in harming herself. I don't want to give the story away but if someone wants to kill you, do you continue to go back to that person? Is a sixteen year old that dumb? The ridiculous romance between the star of the book and her boyfriend is another downer. They kiss, they hug, no sex. It's just like making out when you were in 8th grade. I'm not one to look for sex but the author kept saying they loved each other so......the second books was difficult for me to finish whereas I read the first book in a day. She should have stopped after the first book and I can't see how a 3rd book can do much more than be another dragging, mistake-filled manuscript. I really regret paying for this second book and think it belonged with the "free books".

The Kommandant's Mistress
The Kommandant's Mistress
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars spell-binding, April 23, 2012
At first I thought I would have to stop reading the book due to the stark reality of the gas chambers, ovens, killings, etc., but the writer has written in an unusual way, changing times and places, going back to the beginning, then to the middle, never really knowing just what's going to happen. I loved the ending but sadly, the writer explains that it's fictional. I never put the book down once I picked it up. It held me in its grips until the end. Beautifully written and should be read by anyone who believes the holocaust didn't happen.