Profile for M. J. Austin > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. J. Austin "MJ" RSS Feed (Knoxville, TN USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Exo Terra Solar-Glo High Intensity Self-Ballasted Uv/Heat Mercury Vapor Lamp, 125-Watt
Price: $29.74
16 used & new from $27.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Be Prepared For Variable Quality, November 25, 2011
This is a good product when it works right - it provides both heat and UV and I noticed right away that my bearded dragon was more energetic when I use this bulb.

However - these bulbs have to be replaced every 6 months or so due to a decrease in the amount of viable UV output, and I've had very mixed results with the quality of each bulb.

- One worked perfectly and is still working about a year later.
- One worked and is still working, but flickers intermittantly when it's first turned on, and must be manually switched off and allowed to cool to correct this. It does this /every time/ and completely negates the benefit of having lights on a timer, because you're forced to mess with turning it on/off anyways.
- One straight up burned out 1-2 weeks after purchase.

This is a decent product at a good price, but please be very aware of the possibility (likelihood, in fact) that you will have to deal with the returns process to get a working bulb. I'm personally done with this brand and will be investigating other mercury vapor alternatives on the market.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2011 5:20 AM PST

Ozeri Touch 440 lbs Total Body Bath Scale - Measures Weight, Fat, Muscle, Bone & Hydration with Auto Recognition and Infant Tare Technology
Price: $43.31
3 used & new from $42.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Recommend This One, July 5, 2011
I shopped around amazon for a scale that does both weight and body fat for quite a while before finally settling on this, the Ozeri Touch, and I have to say I couldn't be more pleased.

The scale itself is quite beautiful -- smooth and sleek like an iPhone, low to the ground, with a good solid, sturdy feel to it. Setup took about 3 - 5 minutes including time spent skimming the manual, and the numbers that it gave me were dead on with what I expected. Contrary to other reviewers, the body fat % is much more accurate than I thought it would be (18% for 5'3" 115# female) though I can't comment on consistency of readings at lower percentages. Once I get skinny and buff (with the help of my new scale, ofc!) I'll be sure to edit this review with a follow-up. ;)

No problem with the basics either -- shipping was quick, the packaging was very secure, and Ozeri customer service has been perfectly responsive. So far this product is everything that I hoped it would be (and that's no exaggeration!) Thanks!

Full disclosure: I liked this scale immediately the first time I used it and was planning on leaving it a glowing review. I then received an email from Ozeri offering a free gift as incentive for leaving a review and can see no reason /not/ to accept the offer. Please know that the "bribe" is for the review itself, not the contents (positive or negative) thereof. :)

(Wouldn't it be funny to post a crap 1-star review and see if they still sent it? xD - Update: In response to that question, they replied that they have done just that!)

Foods Alive High Lignan 100% Golden Flax Oil, 16-Ounce
Foods Alive High Lignan 100% Golden Flax Oil, 16-Ounce
Offered by Vitacost
Price: $15.19
2 used & new from $15.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Disagree w/ the 1 star review, May 1, 2011
I see no evidence that this product suffered adversely from not being iced during shipping. I received my product quickly, and I find this flax oil to be of excellent quality. It has a pleasant, nutty flavor (agree that it is fairly strong, but I don't actually have experience w/ any other brand to compare it to.)

I really like this product and I love the fact it ships free w/ Prime. I'm no expert, but the quality is good enough for me and I feel I derive benefit from using it, refrigerated or not during shipping.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2013 7:48 PM PST

Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Maca Powder,  1 Pound  Pouches
Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Maca Powder, 1 Pound Pouches
Offered by Vitacost
Price: $17.09
17 used & new from $17.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Flavor, March 3, 2011
It's a bit strong to be taken alone, but mixed with a smoothie/oatmeal/etc. it's a good addition. Apparently quite healthful, and the flavor also complements raw cacao well.

FYI - I've read varying accounts about maca and it's health benefits. There seems to be a lot of support for the claim that maca is somewhat toxic in its raw form, and is more appropriately consumed in the cooked/gelatinized form? In addition, in the raw form it can have hormonal side-effects and is best taken 1) in the cooked form 2) with some other kind of additive to modulate that side effect. Apologies if any of this information is inaccurate, I know it IS second-hand. I just figure it's important to research the subject thoroughly on your own before you dive right out on a limb.

And FWIW I have experienced no adverse side effects thus far from taking maca raw. No gastric distress, nausea, etc. and nothing weird or PMS-y, so maybe it affects different people differently.

Good luck whatever you choose! :)

Navitas Naturals Organic Goji Berries, 1 Pound Pouches
Navitas Naturals Organic Goji Berries, 1 Pound Pouches
Price: $19.89
36 used & new from $15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Goji berries, huh?, March 3, 2011
This is my first time trying goji berries, so unfortunately I can't speak for the quality of this product compared to others. I can say that the product arrived fast, well-packaged, and that all the berries are bright orange with no sign of mold/spots/nastiness so far. That's probably a good sign. ;)

I'm not really wow-ed by these, though. I mean, they're little dried orange berries. Not a lot of flavor, especially when pre-soaked. They're aight, I guess. I might experiment with a couple other brands to gain perspective, but maybe some things aren't meant to be dried out and shipped halfway around the world.

No complaints with the condition or quality of the product itself, though.

Sony PRS-600SC Touch Edition E-Book Reader
Sony PRS-600SC Touch Edition E-Book Reader
11 used & new from $34.90

5.0 out of 5 stars I <3 my Sony Reader!, March 3, 2011
I originally purchased the PRS-500 (the previous model) which is much slower, glitchier and non-touchscreen. I liked the general idea of it, so I immediately upgraded to this puppy right here.

I've been using it off and on for a couple months and I really do love this product. The touchscreen works great (though if you're expecting something on the level of an iPhone then you're going to be disappointed -- it's not quite as sensitive or responsive, but still works well and is perfectly usable.)

The main improvement I noticed from the 500 to the 600 is how much better it handles the rendering of various document formats, especially pdfs. For the most part I can load a bunch of random pdf files onto my SD card and, with the zoom set to "Medium", they render perfectly well. (Okay, not /perfectly/, but well enough so that I can easily read them without any undue effort or stress.) This was a must for me, and the 600 model definitely delivers! (One caveat - images are an exception. Some work, some don't.)

Another thing I love about it is all the different note-taking functionality. This thing is GREAT for taking notes/highlighting, etc. I've used it extensively for required reading for college courses and love the ease of highlighting various passages and going over the notes. Apparently there's also an piece of companion software provided free by Sony that allows you to upload all your notes and view them all your desktop. Haven't used it personally yet, but it does sound cool.

Also -- STYLUS! I used this ebook reader for about four months before I realized there's a STYLUS included with it! It stows so neatly and securely I literally didn't even notice it. So cool! (Also, the fact that I didn't know about it for months is a case of RTFM, not a fault of the product. ;) This definitely helps with the "handwriting" mode that allows you to write freehand notes or addenda to highlighted areas.

Only complaint overall is that the screen does produce quite a bit of glare, at least compared to say, the kindle. (I lack the experience with other eBook devices to provide an accurate comparison.) It's manageable though, especially if you get a good quality reading light to go with it (I do NOT recommend the Sony case w/ built-in light, as that light is inadequate and only enhances the glare.)

Overall a great product, and 5 stars (the glare issue does not interfere sufficiently with user experience to subtract a star from my rating, at least for me.) I haven't used Kindle in depth, but from a cursory examination I'd say PRS-600 is preferable, especially for students who value note-taking functionality.

One final note about the seller - the product I purchased stated it was the silver model, but I ended up getting the black. This is no big deal to me, plus the guy agreed to ship it to Iraq for me (thanks!) so no complaints here. Still love the device, color is irrelevant!

Sony PRS-600 Cover with Light PRS-ACL6
Sony PRS-600 Cover with Light PRS-ACL6
Offered by Mango Wireless
Price: $9.99
12 used & new from $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The light sucks, March 3, 2011
I haven't read the other reviews for this product lately, but I think it's pretty much unanimous that the light in this unit //does NOT perform//. It doesn't cast enough light, there is ALWAYS a glare, and it doesn't illuminate the entire screen.

The case itself is exactly the same as the case sans light that's also available on Amazon -- I would definitely recommend going with that and getting a dedicated book light separately.

FWIW, the light that comes in the "Ultimate PRS-600 Bundle Pack" works a LOT better than this thing, but it's big and bulky and not very convenient. I think the Mighty Bright TravelFlex gets good reviews, but the product that I found on Amazon that gets the best recommendation as a booklight is the "M-Edge e-Luminator2 Booklight for Sony Reader Touch Edition - Black". I think it's currently out of stock, but if you can find that product somewhere I'd go for it. (And let me know so I can get one too! :)

This product gets three stars, because as an integrated lighting/cover solution for the PRS-600 you can't beat the streamlined and compact package. Loses two stars for poor light function. If you want an all-in-one cover/light then go ahead and get this. It'll work in a pinch, but I still recommend a secondary light for people who read a lot.

Cheers!

Stanley 38425 TimerMax Digislim Polarized 1-Outlet Digital Bar Timer, 2-Pack
Stanley 38425 TimerMax Digislim Polarized 1-Outlet Digital Bar Timer, 2-Pack
Price: $17.37
13 used & new from $5.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Best price I could find anywhere on digital timers!, March 3, 2011
These things are great. They're compact, VERY easy to program, and do what I need them to do. You can only program one "schedule" (e.g. 5AM on and 6PM off) with a switch for "Timer on" or "Manual Override" (always on).

No problem using them with a heat/UV lamp combo for a reptile, and also on a lamp with one of those power-saving coil bulbs.

Good products, well-made, easy-to-use, great functionality, and perfectly reliable. Great price too. Easily 5 stars!

Ultimate Sony Reader eBook Touch Edition PRS-600 Bundle Pack- Black Leather Cover Case, eBook LED Light, USB 2in1 Data Cable, Car Charger, Wall Charger, and Screen Protector with 4-Inch TsirTech Hand Strap
Offered by eBigValue
Price: $18.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent item, March 3, 2011
I think that most people buying a bulk lot of accessories understand that the quality is just not going to be there. Quality-wise, most of these items are at best substandard and at worst borderline shoddy.

I have to give them credit though, they were perfectly willing to ship the product to Iraq for me (I was deployed at the time, so appreciate that!) I do use the wall charger regularly, it's decently sturdy and, well, charges, (:P) so no complaints there. I've also started using the book light recently too. It's cheap and bulky and plastic feeling, but the manner in which it casts light does an excellent job of illuminating the entire screen (with just a tad bit of dimness towards the very bottom, but there's usually a margin there anyway.)

Note -- if you're considering buying the PRS-600 cover with the built in booklight -- PASS! That's what I got and that light is nothing but a pain. There's no way to use it without creating huge and interfering glare, so you have to either tilt the book or reposition the light for every page. It's easier to sit beneath a lamp or in the sun. :P The booklight included in this lot does a MUCH better job of illuminating. FWIW!

Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Cacao Nibs, 16-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 2)
Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Cacao Nibs, 16-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 2)
Price: $26.78
16 used & new from $26.78

5.0 out of 5 stars About what I expected, March 3, 2011
Keep in mind - NOT sweet, NOT like regular chocolate. If you've got your head wrapped around that and are still interested, then chances are good you'll enjoy this product.

The flavor is good, but the extreme not-sweetness factor makes them a pass for straight munching. I enjoy these nibs blended into smoothies and had some this morning in a bowl of steel cut oats (the sweetness of the fruit and agave syrup really brought out the flavor! Gud!) Also heard that the flavor combines well with maca, so I'll be trying that out in the future.

Like all the Navitas products that are fulfilled through Amazon the shipping was quick, packaging was sturdy and the product is good quality.

Page: 1 | 2