Profile for Bitsy Bling Books > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 229

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bitsy Bling Books "Bitsy Bling Books" RSS Feed (Seattle, WA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Faking Normal
Faking Normal
by Courtney C. Stevens
Price: $12.22
82 used & new from $2.67

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Safe To Be Compelling, March 4, 2015
This review is from: Faking Normal (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let me start out by saying, this is a book targeting the younger end of YA, and teen. It's a clean read that deals with adolescent issues, such as loss, hs dating, fitting in, murdered parents etc. With that said, I believe authors can create interesting and engaging clean reads and shouldn't underestimate their audiences ability to handle intensity. There is not much to move the plot along, or in character development. I never felt attached to the characters or emotionally investing in their troubles. These are 'big deal' issues they are facing, my stomach should be knotted, and my heart strings, tugged. Instead, opportunities are missed to give this read any true grit or depth. Faking Normal may be good for highly sensitive teens, but most will find it a bit flat.

The Pierced Heart: A Novel
The Pierced Heart: A Novel
by Lynn Shepherd
Price: $19.26
98 used & new from $2.20

2.0 out of 5 stars How Could This Be Boring? It is., January 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had a hard time getting into this book. The book has parallel stories, one is the basic retelling of Dracula, with chapters of Lucy's journaling and serial murders. Sounds intriguing, but the length between action made this book a bit boring. I never got attached to the characters and had a hard time with any suspense that may have been built. I tried, but eventually I just gave up on this one. I was half way through and still wishing something would hook me. Very disappointing.

(Don't You) Forget About Me
(Don't You) Forget About Me
by Kate Karyus Quinn
Price: $14.36
71 used & new from $6.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Drugged Reality, September 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've read other books by Quinn, and this was my least favorite. What is good is the consistent tone and character's (mental state) depiction with the forget-me-not - or rather, haze experienced. Clarity comes at specific moments, but there is always a doubt to whether the memory is reliable. With that said, the drugged monotone lack of reaction (or care at points in the book) can be hard to read because it is flat and makes it difficult to move the action. For lack of a better description, it can be a bit boring in places, even when it shouldn't be due to the influence of pills. Drugged realities seems to be a popular theme in 2014 YA and perhaps, since it is being done a lot this year, it doesn't seem original. I must say though, Quinn does a great job keeping Sky in character. The writing is well executed.

Yoga Clothing For You Ladies 7 Chakras Tri-Blend Hoodie, Medium Solid Black
Yoga Clothing For You Ladies 7 Chakras Tri-Blend Hoodie, Medium Solid Black
Offered by YogaClothingForYou
Price: $34.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, September 5, 2014
Runs very small.

Orei M8 All-in-One International Worldwide Travel Plug Adapter with Dual USB Charger - 150+ Countries, Fuse Protected, Black
Price: $19.99
7 used & new from $14.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 5, 2014
Worked great in Ireland! No problems at all and all devices charged promptly.

Servants of the Storm
Servants of the Storm
by Delilah Dawson
Price: $12.17
88 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Disconnected., September 5, 2014
This review is from: Servants of the Storm (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been trying my best to get into this book and it's taken me a while to read. For a YA, it's slow moving and seems rather repetitive. I'm having difficulty connecting and relating to the characters. I'm a fan of supernatural occurrences, however, this one is rather abstract. It seems like the text is trying too hard to be mysterious and by doing so, loses the grounding all paranormal stories require to make them seem plausible. Perhaps other readers will like the technique, but I'm having difficultly with this particular POV and book.

That Summer: A Novel
That Summer: A Novel
by Lauren Willig
Price: $16.47
82 used & new from $0.03

3.0 out of 5 stars Ugly Cover: Good Beach Read., June 18, 2014
This review is from: That Summer: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a big fan of Lauren Willig's Carnation series. That Summer is structured similarly to her previous books including art history and the shifts/parallels in time. This wasn't my favorite, and there is less excitement and action, but it's still a good read. It doesn't sizzle like previous books, but it is a cute contemporary. The book cover is hideous and doesn't do the interior writing justice. I'm surprised that something more appealing wasn't chosen. The house on the cover, isn't how I pictured the house in the book. If you're looking for a light beach read, That Summer fits the bill: romance, art history and some historical mystery.

Dark Aemilia: A Novel of Shakespeare's Dark Lady
Dark Aemilia: A Novel of Shakespeare's Dark Lady
by (Novelist) Sally O'Reilly
Price: $22.51
81 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Perspective, June 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The story is good, but what bothered me was the narrator perspective. Yes, it's told similar to the structure of a play script, by by doing so, it keeps the entire story at arms length. I was being told the story instead of experiencing it and this left me rather disconnected. Others might like this approach, but for me it just didn't work. I had a hard time remaining interested. I never felt like I was 'in' the story, so it was easy to put down and avoid picking back up.

UBU Super Softy Extra Large and Soft Powder Brush
UBU Super Softy Extra Large and Soft Powder Brush

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the purchase!, June 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It does what it says! I use less powder and it glides on nicely, blending evenly without taking away coverage. It's super soft and what I love the most is that the bristles don't shed. All my previous brushes seem to leave one of two little hairs behind that drive me nuts. Not this one. Totally worth it!

Panic
Panic
by Lauren Oliver
Price: $11.99
104 used & new from $1.64

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh...Not Bad, But Not Awesome, May 19, 2014
This review is from: Panic (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Panic is the caffeinated version of the old childhood game, "I Double Dare You." The story is told from the perspective of 'reflecting' back on past events. In this book, willing teen participants agree to challenges in hopes of winning a cash pot. In the small town of Carp, Panic is the yearly event that amuses the bored graduating class and their followers. Place your bets, and pick a favorite! Lauren Oliver does an adequate job with the plot, but doesn't hit the middle of the target to make this one a winner. There are too many places that tension, suspense and creative structure could have been achieved, but were scuffed over and the climax suffered as a result.

The story is fairly predictable, nothing really unexpected happens -- yep, you won't get that awesome, "PLOT TWIST!" surprise. Some of the details and insight into supporting character lives will leave you wondering by the end why it was included in the first place. Sure, developing characters are supposed to create relatability and conjure sympathy, but if it leads to the question "So What?', then the reader is left wondering why they invested in them at all. Unfortunately, certain parts of the story were over developed and other (more important events) were under developed.

Panic is a good read, but I wanted more depth. It just didn't deliver, and instead was a bit too shallow and predictable to be a 2014 YA favorite.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20