Profile for monique madigan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

monique madigan RSS Feed (Portland, OR USA)

The Mermaid Chair: A Novel
The Mermaid Chair: A Novel
by Sue Monk Kidd
Price: $21.41
1099 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars No editor will edit you, May 17, 2005
after you have a bestseller.

This is classic sophomore slump. The book is readable enough, but it's no Secret Life of Bees, which was brilliant and original.

An editor could have insisted that the author draw out the tension, rather than telling us on the first page, "That was the summer I fell in love with the Benedictine monk." Um ... what? Why should I bother to keep reading?

I look forward to the next book.

The Italian Secretary: A Further Adventure of Sherlock Holmes
The Italian Secretary: A Further Adventure of Sherlock Holmes
by Caleb Carr
Price: $21.56
334 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a great book if your mind keeps wandering, May 6, 2005
Longing for more Sherlock Holmes and unable to get satisfaction from the source, we must content ourselves with pale imitations. Some of them are better than others. This one lands smack in the middle.

I found my mind wandering on a few scattered pages, as I read some interminable, clunky, non-light-producing paragraph. That has never once happened while I was reading Arthur Conan Doyle. A lot of explanations were stuffed rather unceremoniously into the dialogue, when they could have been revealed more expertly, I would think. I mean, it's Caleb Carr! My expectations were high.

Not a bad book ... a fair offering to the canon.

Ah, Arthur ... we miss you.

Waiting for Birdy: A Year of Frantic Tedium, Neurotic Angst, and the Wild Magic of Growing a Family
by Catherine Newman
Price: $10.34
145 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed and laughed and laughed, April 4, 2005
Finally! The best book about parenting since Anne Lamott's "Operating Instructions," in terms of being startled into laughter and lulled into pensive quiet.

I've enjoyed Catherine's parentcenter.com postings for as long as she's been writing them, and I don't think I've ever disagreed with her on anything. (Except for maybe giving up coffee!)

My sister is pregnant, and I could hardly wait for this book to come out, so I could buy it for her.

Thank you, Cath.

Set This House in Order: A Romance of Souls
Set This House in Order: A Romance of Souls
by Matt Ruff
85 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll keep this short and sweet, September 19, 2003
This was the best, most original book I've read all year. No one has ever written a book like this, and I was completely engrossed.

I Capture the Castle
I Capture the Castle
by Dodie Smith
Price: $13.64
303 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprising treasure, September 16, 2003
This review is from: I Capture the Castle (Paperback)
How can you not love a book that opens with the line, "I write this sitting in the kitchen sink"?
I fell in love with every single one of the characters. Although set in the 1930's, the story is timeless ... and a true test of a writer's skill in avoiding that "dated" tone. Dodie Smith's novel is as fresh and vivid as if it were written today. I actually took this book to work with me so I could finish it on my lunch hour.
Thoroughly original and engrossing.

Kill Two Birds & Get Stoned (Friedman, Kinky)
Kill Two Birds & Get Stoned (Friedman, Kinky)
by Kinky Friedman
112 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars I put the book down at page 84, May 7, 2003
Note to Kinky:
1) Whether I love them or hate them, make me care about your characters.
2) Some writers have found that a compelling plot is helpful.
3) You have some great lines. Unfortunately, some great lines do not add up to a complete book.
4) Try to engage your reader from the first page. I stuck with you for 84 before giving up.

Wide Blue Yonder: A Novel
Wide Blue Yonder: A Novel
by Jean Thompson
Price: $19.73
76 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars More, please., April 17, 2003
While I love Jean Thompson's short stories ... being able to sink my teeth into this delicious hunk of a novel was even more satisfying. And frankly ... sad or dark endings have become trite at this point in literary evolution. What a relief to finish a novel without wanting to weep.

Huggly Takes a Bath (Monster Under the Bed)
Huggly Takes a Bath (Monster Under the Bed)
by Tedd Arnold
11 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Laughing after repeated readings, May 23, 2000
Even though Huggly is written for slightly older children, my 31-month-old son laughed hilariously the first time I read Huggly Takes A Bath to him. We just got the book yesterday, and he has requested it twice more - with no abatement of giggles! He especially likes when Huggly takes a bite of soap - "Yuck!" We're both hooked - we're going to have to read all the Huggly books.