Profile for Brilliantly Witty > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brilliantly Witty "Bee" RSS Feed (NY)

Simply Gum 100% Natural Chewing Gum Assorted Flavors (Mint, Ginger, Cinnamon, Maple, Fennel, Coffee) - 6 Packs
Offered by SimplyGum
Price: $18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Gum!, February 3, 2015
Amazing gum! I love gum. I used to chew it all the time. When artificial sweeteners started giving me trouble I had to give it up. On very rare occasions I'd find gum that was made with sugar - usually bubble gum. I tried other natural gums but they became hard and flavorless almost immediately.

I have tried the ginger, fennel licorice, mint, and cinnamon gums from Simply Gum and they are fantastic. This will be the only brand of gum I chew. The mouth feel is great. It doesn't get really hard and while the flavor diminishes after a while (like all gum), it still remains for a substantial amount of time.

The way the gum was packaged for shipping also added a nice touch. It was wrapped in paper and had string (kind of looked like re-purposed plastic bag) tied around it with a hand written "Thank You." It was really cute and added a little personal touch that was appreciated.

I highly recommend this product. (I would even try the maple and coffee flavors even though the only thing maple flavored I like is pure maple syrup and the only thing coffee flavored I like is coffee).

Edit: I just realized each gum pack comes with little papers to use to wrap and throw away your used piece of gum! (The gum is unwrapped). This is wonderful and makes me love the gum more. I like to use the papers to wrap a piece of gum that I plan to chew in the future and keep it in my desk drawer.

Jillian Michaels: Shred-It With Weights
Jillian Michaels: Shred-It With Weights
DVD ~ Jillian Michaels
Offered by Knowbodybeatsdawiz
Price: $7.96
68 used & new from $3.72

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT workout!!, April 25, 2013
This DVD is a MUST if you want to get into kettlebells. It mixes cardio and strength and is amazing! I have had this DVD for a while but for some reason it never worked its way into my workout rotation. I finally decided to give it a try the other day and I'm so glad I did!! This is a great workout!! I've only done Level One so far, but I've done it the last five days. It is so much fun and goes by so fast. I have a 15lb kettlebell and was really worried it was going to be too heavy for me to use, but it's been perfect. It is just heavy enough to be challenging.

I really can't believe how quickly the workout goes by. Jillian keeps you motivated and really makes sure you know the proper form. I'm looking forward to trying Level Two.

This is such a great workout I've started looking into other kettlebell workout DVDs.

Joico K-pak Reconstruct Gift Set
Joico K-pak Reconstruct Gift Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for helping damaged hair!!, March 4, 2013
I changed my usual shampoo/conditioner about a year ago and my hair definitely suffered. I switched to a product not realizing it did not have any heat protection. I dry my hair every day so needless to say my ends have been fried. The Joico K-Pak set was recommended to me by a girl at the salon in town and I am so thankful. I noticed a change in my hair immediately. It no longer feels weak and brittle. This will be my go-to shampoo and conditioner for the time being. I highly recommend it. (I do also use an additional leave-in treatment to protect against heat - It's a 10 Miracle Leave-in Product with keratin).

Candor
Candor
by Pam Bachorz
71 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Candor was worth reading, May 6, 2010
This review is from: Candor (Hardcover)
In the town of Candor, children obey their parents. In the town of Candor, children always do their homework and aim to succeed in school. In the town of Candor, art is considered a waste of time. In the town of Candor, something is terribly wrong.

The people of Candor, particularly the children, are being controlled by subliminal messages. If you're out on a date you may find your brain thinking "Respectful space in every place" if you suddenly get the urge to kiss your date or hold their hand. Campbell Banks has founded a town run by subliminal messages in an effort to create a safe and perfect place to live for his family. But his son Oscar finds out what is going on and does everything he can to fight the messages and get other kids out.

I thought this was a really good book. I liked the story and the plot. I was a little confused about how the messages worked exactly, though. Music plays constantly in Candor and messages are hidden in the music. I'm sure there are generic messages for everyone in public places, but I don't see how adults can stay away from the messages about having to do homework and get to school on time. I also may be over thinking it. I was disappointed with the ending, but I think a lot of readers will find it fits right in with the story. Definitely a book to check out, but not the best one I've ever read.

The Body Finder
The Body Finder
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and exciting read, April 30, 2010
This review is from: The Body Finder (Kindle Edition)
What a great read! I made someone else check this book out from the library because I heard it was good but didn't have time to read it myself. Well, the review came back so strongly that I immediately checked it out and read it in a day and a half. If you've watched any shows like Criminal Minds or Law and Order where they kind of profile serial killers, you will probably figure a lot of things out quickly, but it was still a book that kept me hooked. It was also nice because it wasn't super long, so no parts really felt dragged out. There was a nice romance mixed in with the story as well. I won't say anything about the end so nothing is ruined for any potential readers. I highly recommend The Body Finder if you're looking for a great suspense/romance novel.

The Viper's Nest (The 39 Clues, Book 7)
The Viper's Nest (The 39 Clues, Book 7)
by Peter Lerangis
Price: $11.07
325 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars May be more suited to children, March 29, 2010
I have read every book in the 39 Clues series so far. However, I have not been a huge fan. In this installment, Amy and Dan are in South Africa trying to find a clue that was discovered by Winston Churchill (who, along with everyone else in history, was a Cahill). The book is packed with action and daring getaways and near misses. Children who want a lot of bang-boom-wow in their story will really like this series and this installment won't let them down. There is also a lot of factual information about apartheid, which will satisfy history buffs and may even interest those who are only along for the crazy adventures.

My main problem with this series is that it is just too unlikely. I understand it's not realistic fiction, but for some reason I just can't suspend my belief and just go along with what happens to Amy and Dan and accept that they will miraculously solve every riddle right in the nick of time.

I also have an extremely hard time believing they are related to everyone. If the series ends up that they are direct descendants of Jesus, I will not be surprised.

I do however recognize the series as one that children will enjoy and will probably one especially enjoyed by reluctant readers who are looking for a slim volume packed with action. The characters are good, if a lot of the conversation is heavy handed and clumsy.

So, all-in-all, a title worth looking at, but not one that I'll cherish in my own heart. (I will keep reading the series to see how it all ends, though).

Malice: Book 1
Malice: Book 1
by Chris Wooding
Price: $12.78
100 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so scary but worth the read, January 20, 2010
This review is from: Malice: Book 1 (Hardcover)
I was king of hoping for a good scare with Malice. It turned out to be not so scary (something about the name "Tall Jake" seems more comical than threatening) which was a little disappointing, but it was still a really good read. The book is kind of unique because sections of it are done in comic format and that really enhanced the story. (I will admit when I first started the book, I heard a garbage truck go down the street and almost died because I thought someone was in the house...so I did get a little jumpy.)

The premise of the book was really cool, too. Basically, Malice is a comic/other world. No one is really sure it exists unless you know where to get a copy of it. If you collect all the right items and do the ritual, Tall Jake will take you to Malice. If you die there, you die in real life. If you're friends know about the comic, they may read all about your death.

That was enough to hook me. I read through the book in under 2 days and really couldn't put it down. There were a few twists and turns - some not surprising, others surprising. I'm pretty excited to see the next book, Havoc, is due out in May.

I would recommend this book to those who enjoy a little bit of a scare (but nothing to make you want to sleep with the lights on), like a lot of action. The characters are interesting, likeable, and really help draw you into the story.

The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, Book One)
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, Book One)
by James Dashner
Price: $13.25
124 used & new from $5.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Read The Maze Runner NOW, December 28, 2009
If you liked The Hunger Games, you will probably like The Maze Runner. While the beginning few pages are somewhat confusing, the rest of the book completely make up for it. It's almost like watching the TV show Lost. You keep getting tidbits of information but no explanation so you keep reading in hopes that you'll find out some answers. It's gripping.

The basic plot is Thomas winds up in a place called the Glade and the only thing he remembers is his name. The Glade is surrounded by huge walls and has four openings that lead out into a maze that shifts every night. The Gladers have been trying to get through the maze so they can go home (where ever home is). New boys have shown up once a month, every month. That is, until Thomas' arrival. That changes everything. Suddenly a girl is sent and word is given that no more will be coming to the Glade. Thomas knows he has to go out into the maze despite the danger. He feels almost as if he remembers something about this place. Could going into the maze trigger his memory? Does he really want to remember?

This is a seriously good book - one of the best of 2009. Go read it immediately.

Shiver
Shiver
by Maggie Stiefvater
Price: $12.24
232 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater - worth the read, December 28, 2009
This review is from: Shiver (Hardcover)
I expected a lot from this book. I've read numerous reviews, most of which were raving. I also saw (but didn't read for fear of ruining the book) several spoiler emails in a listserv I subscribe to. The book really was good. I liked it a lot and am definitely looking forward to the next book in the series. The characters were interesting and I liked the plot. The only thing that threw me occasionally was the chapters rotate between Grace and Sam and the narrator and sometimes I didn't pay attention to who was narrating and got momentarily confused. I am definitely going to go back and read the spoiler threads now that I'm done with the book because I can't really think of anything major that would have spoiled a twist or anything in the story. I want to know what people considered spoilers for the book.

If you like books about vampires or werewolves and forbidden love and everything that goes with being a teenager, definitely give this one a shot. It's not too complex and some things seem a little too convenient (Grace's parents never being home) but it was something fun to read and kept my interest.

The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog
The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog
by Dave Barry
85 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An Instant Classic, December 14, 2009
I picked up The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog by Dave Barry because I used to love reading his column in the Sunday paper and because I love to read Christmas books in December. I read this book in about an hour and as soon as I put it down, I went to the store to buy my own copy of it.

To me this story has everything to make it a Christmas classic. I thought the story had the feel and tone of the movie, A Christmas Story. It is a simple story about Christmas during a simpler time. It is funny, sad, and just a great story to read. I've taken to reading this book every Christmas Eve (since it is such a quick read) and I recommend it to everyone I meet (literally).