Profile for la chap > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

la chap "chap" RSS Feed (Philadelphia, PA United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Understanding Purpose: Women of Faith Study Guide Series
Understanding Purpose: Women of Faith Study Guide Series
by Carolyn Custis James
Price: $8.99
136 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Starting Out, but it is excellent, September 18, 2012
I'm so excited about this study, that I got online to share my review, hoping others will benefit.
I usually find personal studies (I'm doing this alone, but I know some do it in a group) cheesy and/or trite.
A friend gave this to me, and one glance at the flower cover made me cringe a moment.
I was not optimistic!
I am SO GLAD to write that so far, this book is quite excellent. It reminds me of BSF (well, I've never done BSF, but our women's Bible study group at church mirrors their method), in the way that the scriptures are planted everywhere, forcing you to really dig through them. The charts and questions are well-balanced (sometimes you need a chart after lots of written-out questions!).
This is a careful study, not thrown together by a publisher. Carolyn is up there with Beth Moore -- deep insights gathered through scripture, scripture, scripture, across the whole Bible, and not just in one passage.

Although the Oprah exercise in the beginning did make me cringe! :)

Getting Ready for Christmas
Getting Ready for Christmas
by Yolanda Browne
Price: $7.19
66 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, November 28, 2011
I like this book's format. We were looking for something to do daily during Advent at mealtimes. Our three children are all five and under, so while I'm glad the pages are brief, I wish they were organized by the themes of Hope, Peace, Joy, Love. The pages' themes are all over the place, sort of disorganized.
I am glad for the daily scripture though. Sometimes books paraphrase it, but this is verbatim scripture.
But we are content with the book, it serves the purpose of keeping our kids in tune daily with Advent.

The First Easter
The First Easter
by Carol Heyer
Price: $5.98
120 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, November 28, 2011
This review is from: The First Easter (Hardcover)
I forget how I found my kids this book, but this is a treasure. My five year-old frequently selects it for his bedtime story. The illustrations are stunning, and I love the choice of color in the inside cover (royal purple). I think this adds to the presentation as I read it to my kids, and explain the significance.
This book is such a refreshing contrast to the hastily published "appropriate for Easter" books out there everywhere.
The story is Jesus-centered, beginning on the day of his birth. It is applicable to children, illustrating Jesus' love for them on the pages.
It includes the events of holy week, and I love connecting the Psalm Sunday entrance into Jerusalem by singing "Hosanna" with the kids, just as they do in Sunday School.
I love the deliberate focus on the resurrection. Mary's encounter is highlighted, as is the disciples' meeting of the angel. I usually choke up as I read the line "why do you look for the living among the dead?"
Also, Carol Heyer passionately describes and illustrates the thrill of the moment when Mary realizes the gardener is actually her Lord Jesus. The picture on this page is of Mary's face and Jesus' scarred hand.

I am so appreciative of this book. I purchased two of her Christmas books for my children for Christmas presents and am eager to receive them!

My ABC Bible Verses: Hiding God's Word in Little Hearts
My ABC Bible Verses: Hiding God's Word in Little Hearts
by Susan Hunt
Price: $10.53
83 used & new from $2.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Spirit Emphasis, September 23, 2011
We love this book for our children. I don't think my older child had enough interest until he was indeed four. HOwever, his younger sister, who is 2.5, does seem to follow somewhat, and at least pickup on some of the memorization.
My favorite part -- the Holy Spirit emphasis. On the introduction page, Susan Hunt mentions that we as parents can introduce the Word to our children to encourage them to put the Word in their hearts, but that only the Holy Spirit can move us to obey it. It is grace-oriented, so that the stories don't point to the glory of the child obeying the Word, but to the Holy Spirit's work in their hearts.
THe stories and questions also prompt great discussion, which really is necessary to get the full benefit of this book.
Remember you can't use a storybook as a formula, to just rattle off the stories and voila, your kids will love God and keep His commands.
This book goes hand in hand with discussion and prayer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2012 3:43 AM PDT

Stearns Kids Puddle Jumper Basic Life Jacket
Stearns Kids Puddle Jumper Basic Life Jacket
Price: $18.49 - $61.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Can handle the pool with 3 littles on my own now!, August 15, 2011
I'm SO glad my husband purchased these for my two children (ages 2.5 and almost 5). I have an 8 month-old baby, and doing the pool by myself with the kids was incredibly difficult until he bought these. Keeping an eye on the 2.5 year-old was so stressful prior to having these. And my almost 5 year-old has gained so much confidence wearing it. They can even jump off the side and barely go under (they are both ok with putting their face under).
I wear the baby in the Baby Bjorn and join the kids as they happily jump and swim. Total peace of mind.

Being a Pig Is Nice: A Child's-Eye View of Manners
Being a Pig Is Nice: A Child's-Eye View of Manners
by Sally Lloyd-Jones
61 used & new from $1.24

3.0 out of 5 stars clever, but missing something, November 28, 2009
This book is cute and clever, but that's about it....not as brilliant as her other books

New England Patriots Retro Sport Women's Throwback Cuffless Cable Knit Hat
New England Patriots Retro Sport Women's Throwback Cuffless Cable Knit Hat

3.0 out of 5 stars CUTE but small, November 28, 2009
I am a small person, and this hat is perfectly snug on me....so if you have a big head, you may not want this.

The Adventure of Christmas: Helping Children Find Jesus in Our Holiday Traditions
by Lisa Whelchel
Price: $17.99
123 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as I expected, November 28, 2009
I was SO excited when this book arrived at my door, and continued to be so, even after reading the introduction.
However, I am disappointed. I agree with another reviewer, that much of this book is trite, and even cheesy. I had hoped for devotionals tied into activities, and a daily format, that builds upon each day in Advent. It's more of a crafty history scrapbook for elementary-aged children. This is a book to borrow from the library, as a helpful, one-time reference for crafty ideas + history. I think I will purchase this one instead: http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Ready-Christmas-Yolanda-Browne/dp/0758608608

VTech Preschool Learning Tote and Go Laptop - 2010 Version
VTech Preschool Learning Tote and Go Laptop - 2010 Version
Offered by Better World Boutique
Price: $35.00
32 used & new from $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars battery hog!, May 15, 2009
My son is 2.5, and he loves this laptop. I am not happy about the batteries we go through though. Really annoying.

Moments for Families of Prodigals: New Life Live! Meditations
Moments for Families of Prodigals: New Life Live! Meditations
by Robert J. Morgan
29 used & new from $3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Necessary for Parents, April 28, 2009
Someone lent this to me to read because of my brother's struggles. But I am also a parent of two children, both under 3 years old. I poured over this book -- it is so encouraging. It is grounded in the Word, and also contains collections of quotes and writings from great people of faith. THe insights of the author are personal and humble. This book is not just for those parents who have children already in a struggle, it is for any parent in general, who wants to trust the Lord with their children.
I mentioned that this book was not my own, but I am ready to purchase it for my own personal library!

Page: 1 | 2