Profile for Nathan Andersen > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 142

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nathan Andersen "Gadget lover and author of Shadow Philosophy: Plato's Cave and Cinema" RSS Feed (Florida)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Synapse Lightning Cable [Apple Mfi Certified] | 1M (3.3 Feet) Nylon Braided Cable with Aluminum Tips (Blue / White)
Offered by Synapse Cables
Price: $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and durable braided Lighting cable that looks nice and sells at a fair price - works great with my phone and iPad, September 3, 2014
This is a nice-looking, durable and tangle free cable that works just fine to charge up and deliver data to my iPhone and iPad.

I've got lots of Lightning cables. They're all Apple certified, but some last longer than others. I've got a few where the rubber coating near the connection points wore off after a few month's of use. This one is designed to prevent that, because it has a braided cover on the cable rather than a flimsy rubber coating. At the same time it remains very flexible and lightweight. It doesn't tangle up as easily as most of my other cables as well. Plus, it looks distinctive, which is a nice feature, since I occasionally have my phone plugged into an outlet next to a few other phones. It's nice to know which one is mine.

This is lightweight and durable, looks nice and seems likely to last a long time. It's also inexpensive compared to other similar cables. I'm happy with it. (Product received for the purpose of testing and review -- one can never have too many of these cables, and I've purchased several, since I like to keep a couple in my office for my iPad and my iPhone, and another in my car for listening to music from my phone onto my stereo, and another couple to charge things up at home. Plus I have kids with phones. As mentioned, though, it's nice to have a cable like this one that looks to last a bit longer than the cheap ones.)

AT-A-GLANCE 2014-2015 Academic Year Thomas Paul Weekly and Monthly Planner, Wirebound, Teal, 8.5 x 11 Inch Page Size (628P-905A)

3.0 out of 5 stars A useful desktop academic planner — that lets you plot out the month and add more detail during the week, August 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a useful academic calendar. The design isn’t exactly my taste, and that probably means I won't get much use out of it. I just don't use tools that don't draw me in ... but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be perfect for someone else. Apart from the design, it works just fine.

You can jot in events on the month layout, and then add details in the two-page weekly spreads.

That makes it useful both for planning and assessment, and for making adjustments throughout the day.

It’s a big, and somewhat hefty, calendar. I wouldn’t be likely to carry this around in a backpack and wouldn’t expect it would fit easily in most purses. It’s more natural as a desktop calendar, that you can use to review things in the morning, and then make plans at the end of the day or whenever you’re at the desk. If you’re at a desk nearly all day, this would work well.

Samsung Level Box Bluetooth Wireless Speaker (Black)
Samsung Level Box Bluetooth Wireless Speaker (Black)
Offered by Everything Authentic
Price: $182.70
4 used & new from $110.28

4.0 out of 5 stars Hefty sound in a small and elegant package - this is a very well-built no-frills wireless speaker, August 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I’ve tried lots of bluetooth speakers, big and small, cheap and costly, bad and good. This one doesn’t have the biggest sound of those I’ve tried, but it sounds quite good, and delivers a stronger sound with more range than you’d expect given its size.

First off, it looks very good. It doesn’t look cheap. It’s got a nice-looking brushed metallic case, and it’s got some heft to it, which leads me to believe there’s good gear inside.

You can hear it, too. The sound isn’t as expansive (or as loud) as my Creative Sound Blaster Roar - but that’s almost twice as big and has multiple drivers built in. It does seem like it’s meant to be a streamlined and smaller version of something like the Sound Blaster Roar — it has a “SoundAlive” button that expands and optimizes the sound much like the Roar button on the Sound Blaster. (Of course, on that one the button made more sense, given that you’d sometimes want to be listening intimately and sometimes really fill the room. With this one I can’t see why I’d ever want to turn the “SoundAlive” function off, because it does just sound better with it on.)

It pairs easily. I’ve used it with both my laptop, as a sound system for my computer, and with my iPhone, as a sound system for the room. There’s an additional NFC connector, but I don’t have an NFC enabled device, so I haven’t had a chance to test that out.

It works as a speakerphone, and the streaming quality for music or phone is quite good. This is a very nice-sounding, compact, elegant wireless speaker.

OZAKI O!coat Slim-Y 360° Multi Angle Smart Case For Apple iPad Air - Black
OZAKI O!coat Slim-Y 360° Multi Angle Smart Case For Apple iPad Air - Black
Offered by OZAKI

4.0 out of 5 stars A simple, low profile iPad air case that protects both the body and the screen, and that also folds to prop it up a few ways, August 28, 2014
The Ozaki Slim-Y Case is a pretty low profile case. What I really like about it is that it protects and covers the entire iPad Air, but without adding really any noticeable weight to it.

The iPad Air clips into the hard plastic shell, leaving room for the camera and all the buttons still to function, and the magnetic cover folds on top to the protect the screen while it's in your bag or your backpack. It's not total protection -- there are much more rugged cases out there. I have one, but it adds bulk and it adds weight to the iPad Air. I bought the iPad Air because it was thin and lightweight -- and so a big, rugged case kind of defeats the purpose.

This case is very light, and adds some protection, but what is really cool about it is that the cover also provides several different ways to prop up the screen on a desk for handheld reading and typing ease. It basically goes into four configurations, all of which are explained in diagram form on the instructions that come with the case. You can "origami" fold the back to prop it up high, in either landscape or vertical mode, or you can "roll" up the back into a triangle, and that allows you to prop it up horizontally at two different angles depending on whether you orient your iPad so that the triangle is on the end closest to you (a high angle) or so that the triangle is on the end furthest from you (a lower angle).

It's easy to fold, easy to use, adds some protection, and is very lightweight. I'm very happy with it. (Sample provided for the purpose of testing and review.)

Kuissential 8-Cup Stainless Steel French Press (Coffee Plunger, Press Pot, Cafetiere)

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice-looking, well-built and very effective stainless steel French press -- makes a great cup of coffee!, August 28, 2014
If I make coffee myself, I love using a French press. I've owned several over the years, and this one is probably my favorite.

I prefer the stainless steel design to the glass presses; not only are they more elegant, but they preserve the heat in the coffee for longer. I usually try to drink my coffee right away, but if I have an extra cup in there, I can let it sit for a while without cooling down. Also, even though it preserves the warmth within, it doesn't get so hot on the outer layer of the stainless steel.

I'm not all that precise in my measurements, and I find the French press is pretty forgiving. I usually add about 4 tablespoons of coffee and then fill the press to about just under 2/3, then stir and let it steep for about 5 minutes. That makes a delicious (very large) mug full of coffee, just like I like it, with a bit of coffee left over for a small cup for a friend or for extra to top off mine. (Sample provided for the purpose of testing and review.)

Omaker Brilliant 10000mAh(2.1Amp+2.1Amp Output) Dual USB Portable Charger External Battery Pack Power bank with 1W Flashlight.For iPhone 6 6 plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air mini (Apple 30pin and Lightning Cable Not Included), Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note 3 2, Tab 4 3 2 Pro, Nexus, HTC One, One 2 (M8), LG G3, Nexus, MOTO X and More(White)
Offered by Omaker Official
Price: $21.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A rugged, high capacity charger, that fits easily in the bag or the backpack for charging two items on the go, August 28, 2014
This is a fantastic little charging unit, for an excellent price. I like, first of all, the shape. It’s easy to grip in the hand — it’s not a box like many chargers I’ve owned. It can charge up via an included USB to micro-USB connector, and then you can charge up to two items at a time at 5V, 2.1A, which is perfect for charging a wide variety of USB powered items such as an iPad and an iPhone or other phone or a camcorder or other device.

I always carry this with me in my backpack because I do have an iPad and an iPhone and I like to be able to charge them up when I need them.

It seems to retain charge well when it’s off. When you turn it on to start charging, it indicates how much charge you have left on the little Omaker logo lights on top.

You can also use the charger as a flashlight. (Press the on button twice in rapid succession and the light comes on. Press it again and it flashes.) This would be great for camping — where you can’t plug in for a few days. This carries enough power to charge a phone several times and an iPad at least a couple of times. Very handy, I wouldn’t go anywhere without one. (Sample provided for the purpose of review.)

BCAA Capsules, 450-Count - Diet Standards AminoHD 1000 (BCAA Capsules, 450-Count - Diet Standards AminoHD 1000 (Branched Chain Amino Acid) Veggie Capsules, 2:1:1 Ratio, No Fillers or Additives!
Offered by Body Origin
Price: $26.58

4.0 out of 5 stars A very big bottle of additive free BCAA capsules, August 27, 2014
This is a very big bottle of amino acid BCAA capsules. They're useful as a dietary supplement, and especially for those who work out on a regular basis. I've tried amino acid supplements before, but they usually come mixed with something else, like creatine, and they add some sweetener to hide the taste.

This is the pure stuff, without fillers or additives and they come in a vegetarian capsule, so you can take them without worries about what else you're getting.

There's not a very clear recommended guideline as to how many you can take. The bottle suggests you take a couple before a workout and a couple more after and a couple between meals. So, I guess, if you took two after breakfast, two before and two after a workout, and two in the afternoon, you'd be taking eight in a day. That sounds about right, and is what I've been taking for the past couple weeks. At that pace, this is about a two month supply, and so it seems to be fairly cost effective.

I can't say for sure what effect they've had on me -- since I feel about the same taking them now as I did the few weeks previously. I eat generally healthy food, and exercise daily, and so this feels like a nice addition to my diet, and I like that there aren't additives. I can report that I haven't had any negative impact as a result of taking these. I have a lot of energy, and my workouts and diet generally seem to be producing good results.

URBAN ARMOR GEAR Folio Case for iPad Air, Black
URBAN ARMOR GEAR Folio Case for iPad Air, Black
Price: $34.19
13 used & new from $25.93

4.0 out of 5 stars A sturdy folio style case for the iPad Air — I like the look, but the cover is a bit too floppy, August 27, 2014
I’ve tried a few different cases for the iPad Air, and this one has a distinctive look and feel.

It’s similar to other Urban Armor Gear cases — I have one on my iPhone — with its rugged and sleek look. It feels tough and sturdy, and the edges, especially are quite solid and durable.

It not only secures and protects the body of the iPad, but has a flap cover that goes over the screen. It’s a bit tricky to open up from the top, though, and I’ve found the easiest thing is to turn it upside down and then the cover flops open. Of course, that worries me a little bit because it might flop open if it dropped the wrong way and then it wouldn’t provide the protection I expect.

It does go into sleep mode when the cover is closed and then wakes up when you open it — which indicates there are magnets in the flap, but they aren’t really strong enough magnets to keep the flap secured.

When you do open the flap it also serves as a stand for the iPad, and allows you to set it elevated on a desk in landscape mode. There’s no way to have it stand up vertically, though. If you are holding this in your hands, too, you have to flop the cover backwards, and I do worry that in the long run that will weaken the case.

I really wanted to love this case. I love the look and think it is pretty good, but not as good as it could be.

TRIDENT Aegis Case for iPad Air (AG-APL-IPAD5-TG)
TRIDENT Aegis Case for iPad Air (AG-APL-IPAD5-TG)
Offered by Unique Gadgets & Toys
Price: $14.99
13 used & new from $13.26

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid and nice looking case for the iPad Air -- comes with a rubber seal and a hard case + a screen protector, August 27, 2014
I love my iPad Air, but it also seems a bit fragile. I wanted a case that not only looked nice, but would deliver total protection, that would keep it safe even if I dropped it.

I'm very happy with this case. I haven't tried dropping it with the case, but I feel much safer with it on. It also grips more easily than the actual iPad, so I'm much less likely to fumble it.

It delivers total protection, both for the screen and for the entire unit. It comes with a screen protector, that I installed first. It's just a standard thin protector, that comes with backing you peel off and then stick to the screen after cleaning it thoroughly, with the included microfiber wipe. I couldn't get all the dust out, so there are a couple of small dust bubbles I can't get rid of, but they aren't visible once the iPad is on. After installing the screen protector, you place the entire iPad inside of a rubber jacket, that goes all around the rim, which means that even if you lay this on the ground screen down the screen won't touch the ground and get scraped. Finally, there is a hardened shell that installs around the rubber jacket seal to give it full protection.

I really like the double protection of a rubber seal that serves as a buffer against jolts and a hardened shell that adds solid protection.

The only drawback is that it does add a bit of weight to the unit, and so it cuts into the lightness of the iPad Air. Still I'll happily trade that for the security and protection this provides. (Sample provided for the purpose of testing and review.)

Dazzlepro Advanced Sonic Toothbrush with UV Sanitizing & Charging Base - Twilight
Offered by Todays Special
Price: $61.90
3 used & new from $52.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice electric toothbrush, that comes with 3 replacement heads and a sanitizing unit, August 26, 2014
I like brushing with electric toothbrushes, and have owned a few over the years. This works as well as any, and better than some.

I received this as a review sample and am very happy I agreed to try it out. It's very easy to use. It comes with a charging base and sanitizer unit, the rechargeable toothbrush body, and three brush heads. That means you could share between three members of the family -- the brush heads are different colors, so it would be easy to prevent a mixup -- or you could just use the extra brush heads as replacements when the first one wears down.

All you have to do is plug in the unit -- I store my unit on top of the medicine cabinet -- and place the brush in its holder for it to charge up.

You can store up to four brush heads in the sanitizer tray, and when you close the lid a UV light comes on that is designed to kill germs that might reside in the brush. The drip tray can be removed for cleaning when necessary. That's a very nice feature.

There are three brushing modes, and you toggle through them by pressing the on switch more than once. The "pro" mode is the most intense, the "soft" mode is a bit lighter, and the "massage" mode is like the "pro" mode but pulsates rather than vibrating intensely.

You aren't supposed to "brush" with these the standard way -- vigorously rubbing the bristles back and forth -- but rather just to move them slowly across the surfaces of your teeth and letting the vibration in the bristles do the work. That does seem to work well.

All in all, this is a great electric toothbrush, that works as well as higher priced "sonic" toothbrushes I've tried, and that also comes with a couple of extra brushes, and the sanitizing tray.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20