Profile for Nathan Andersen > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 179

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nathan Andersen "Gadget lover and author of Shadow Philosophy: Plato's Cave and Cinema" RSS Feed (Florida)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Ivation IVAGDM20 DehumMini Powerful Small-Size Thermo-Electric Dehumidifier - Quietly Gathers Up to 8oz. of Water Per Day - Great for Smaller Room, Cupboard, Basement, Attic, Stored Boat, RV, Antique Car
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $39.99
3 used & new from $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A very handy humidifier, that helps to limit the moisture in my Florida office, May 3, 2015
I live in Florida where the air is always humid, and it especially affects my office, where some of my books get moldy from the excess moisture in the air. We do have a very large 2-gallon dehumidifier in the main office, and it fills up regularly. Still, when my office door is shut overnight or on the weekend it still gets humid. I've tried buying the little "DampRid" cans filled with powder that absorbs excess moisture, but they need to be refilled regularly.

This is an ideal alternative solution. It's very easy to use: just plug it in to the wall and turn it on. It works quite well and is not noisy at all. In fact I can't even hear it over the constant blowing of the A/C. It is definitely getting moisture out of the air. Overnight it filled up an inch high and in three days it filled completely. It does have an automatic shutdown for when it fills up, and it even turns on a full indicator light. When it does fill up, I just empty it, and it starts again. It's a very nice, reasonably affordable and simple solution to a very real problem. I'm quite impressed.

(Sample provided for testing and review.)

Aleratec Natural Bamboo Adjustable Laptop Stand Up to 15in Tablet Reading Table Desk
Offered by Aleratec
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $41.24

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice-looking and impressively built laptop and tablet desk - ideal for reading but I wish it was a bit shorter for typing, May 3, 2015
This is a very lovely, well-designed laptop piece of bamboo furniture, that offers a very convenient way to turn your bed, your floor, or sofa into a desk.

I'm very impressed with the quality of the design. The legs fold in for easy storage and when they fold out they are secure. They can be adjusted easily to add height to the desk. The middle of the desk folds upwards sot that you can place it at an angle, and several different angles are possible - from a slight incline to nearly horizontal. The nearly horizontal position is ideal for reading through papers hands free, or for watching a movie on an iPad. There is a little drawer on the side, in which you can store the peg that supports your laptop or tablet or papers or book when the center is elevated.

It is very solidly put together, and looks quite lovely. The bamboo is smooth and nicely finished. This is a high quality item at a very fair price.

My only complaint is that for my personal use I would prefer if it was lower. I write a lot on my computer and the way I'd really like to use this is for typing in bed. I find that even at its lowest height, which is about a foot high, it is not really comfortable to type. If I'm just browsing, reading on my computer or iPad, and only occasionally raising my hand up to shift pages, then it is ideal. When I am actively typing for a long time, I wish it were lower. It would be ideal if the legs would open up a bit wider or if they were a bit shorter, so that it the desk would sit just above my legs. This is less of a problem when I use it while seated at a sofa, but it is a reason that I've ended up using this less than I had expected when I first got it and was excited to use it because I was impressed by the quality. (Sample provided for the purpose of testing and review.)

Mr Rugged Beard Balm 1.8oz - Natural Beard Balm Conditioner with Argan Oil - Jojoba Seed Oil - Olive Oil - Soybean Oil - Beeswax - Wheat Germ Oil - Pumpkin Seed Oil - Cedar Wood Essential Oils - Minimizes Beard Dryness, Irritation and Itchiness - Softens Beard - Neat Appearance - Healthy Shine - 100% Handmade - Satisfaction Guaranteed
Offered by Nature's Best Supply
Price: $19.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice-smelling, all natural beard balm keeps my goatee neat, smooth and gently fragrant, April 30, 2015
I really like this stuff. Adding just a dab of Mr. Rugged Beard Balm after a shower, then rubbing it through, tends to smooth things nicely and keep my beard from drying out.

I don't have a full-on, serious, rugged-man beard. I do have a goatee, and without some kind of maintenance it can get unruly and dry.

It smells great. It feels good. It's made of all-natural ingredients: argan oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, soybean oil, beeswax, wheat germ oil, pumpkin seed oil, some proprietary fragrance blend and cedar wood essential oil.

(I had a chance to try out a sample of this product for the purpose of testing and review.)

Brainwavz M1 In-Ear Headphones
Brainwavz M1 In-Ear Headphones
Offered by MP4NATION
Price: $44.50
13 used & new from $42.07

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality, great sounding, inexpensive, tangle-free, earbuds that deliver a nice, balanced sound, April 30, 2015
I’ve had a chance to try a few different varieties of Brainwavz headphones, and have always been impressed. These are no exception. If you’ve only ever used the kind of inexpensive in-ear phones that come with cell phones or mp3 players, prepare to discover a much richer and more immersive sound. These aren’t high-end headphones but they deliver a very high quality sound.

They fit nicely in the ears, and come with a hard shelled zip up case that includes several different kinds and sizes of earbuds. I was very happy with the standard size, that fit in my ears nice and snug and hang in there even when I’m working out. For smaller ears or if you like the foam inserts, they have you covered (comes with seven additional sets).

The cable is well designed and doesn’t easily snag or tangle up. It also doesn’t deliver noise.

These don’t deliver a heavy bass, but an all-around nicely balanced and immersive sound. This is just about perfect for most listening needs, unless you’re an audiophile and willing to pay a lot more for a slight increase in quality.

I’ve been listening to these for a few weeks now and remain impressed. I have more expensive earphones, but these are the ones I carry in my bag and pull out when I’m on the go. I’m very happy with them.

Mengo [Apple MFI Certified] 6FT / 2M Braided Tangle-Free Lightning to USB Cable (White) for iPhone 6 Plus, 5S, 5C, 5, iPad Air, Mini, Mini 2, Mini 3, iPad 4th Gen, iPod Touch 5th Gen, and iPod Nano 7th Gen - Retail Packaging
Offered by Mengo Products
Price: $10.99
2 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A durable and flexible 6 foot long braided cable, that charges and syncs data nicely!, April 30, 2015
This is a long and thick braided cable that is obviously built to last.

I have several lightning cables, that I use for charging and syncing my phone and iPad in various places. I keep a small one in my bag, and I have longer ones in my room, in my office, in my car.

This one's ideal. It's 6 feet long, which means I can hook it up to my phone and leave it charging throughout the day and don't need to unplug it to answer the phone, even if I'm standing up or walking around my desk.

One thing that I've seen with some of the cheaper plastic cables is that they wear down at the joints or that even the plastic can rip around the wire. That's especially true with the cables that come with a phone or an iPad. This one is Apple certified, but works a lot better than the Apple brand cables. It transfers data and charges my devices as quickly as any cable, but it's also flexible, tangle-free, and durable. I had a chance to try one of these out for the purpose of testing and review and I'm very happy I did.

18k Yellow Gold Plated Sterling Silver Two-Tone Multi-Gemstone Teardrop Bracelet (0.01cttw, I-J Color, I2-I3 Clarity), 7.25"
Price: $139.63

4.0 out of 5 stars A pretty multicolored gem bracelet that is nicely packaged, easy to put on, and would make a great gift, April 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a sturdy and well-built bracelet, that would look great for a variety of occasions. It's sterling silver, plated with 18k yellow gold. The bracelet is made up of a series of "teardrop" shaped frames, encircled by little diamonds and with a gem in the center. The pattern alternates between a single teardrop and then a double teardrop. There are several different colors of gems. They look surprisingly nice together as an ensemble.

It's easy to put on -- and can be put on and removed easily by the wearer without assistance. The two sides clip together and then are secured in place by a dual clasp.

It's a very nice-looking piece, that could be worn casually, but would also look well on formal occasions. It comes in a pretty black box, and would make a great gift.

Parrot Zik 2.0 Stereo Bluetooth 3.0, Concert Hall Effect, Noise Control Headphones
Price: $362.54
28 used & new from $263.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent noise-cancellation, adjustable and immersive sound quality, and a comfortable fit make these high quality earphones, April 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really like these headphones. They have an elegant design, they fit comfortably on my ears and ... most importantly they deliver an astonishingly rich sound and an unparalleled (in my experience) noise canceling result.

In spite of the fact that I love the sound and love the fit, I didn't give them five stars for three reasons: the app needs work, the batteries don't last as long as I'd expect, and the touch controls on the headphones may be too sensitive. I'll explain.

First, let me reiterate that the build on these headphones is a very high quality. I have a fairly big head and so I have to extend the ear pads fully, but once I do that they fit nicely and the padded arc on top makes for a comfortable wear, whether I'm traveling, sitting in my office, or working out. The padding on the ears is soft but not plush, so that they adapt nicely around my ears and sit comfortably and snugly. Just having them on already accomplishes part of the noise isolation function because they envelop my ears.

Once you turn them on, you can pair them up with a device such as a phone or tablet via Bluetooth. It's very easy to do. For additional control, you can download the app on your mobile device and when they are paired it will recognize that, and then you can do all kinds of things to adjust how they sound and to access special features like the "airplane mode" (which is fantastic). When you turn on the noise canceling it is amazing how good it is. It literally isolates you, and lets you appreciate music as it should be, even in a busy space. When I paused the music on the plane for example, it was basically quiet. I could hear conversations close to me, but the hum of the plane was gone. (Literally: when I'd take the phones off I was surprised by how loud it was, it felt not like a hum but a roar because I'd gotten used to the "silence" of the phones.) What "airplane mode" does is turn off the special features of the headphones except for the noise cancellation, and then you connect to the phones via a 3.5mm audio cable and listen to music that way. The benefit is that you aren't using a bluetooth signal and the batteries last a lot longer.

Where these really shine, however, is when you have them fully in Bluetooth mode and where you can use the app to adjust the sound settings. There are a lot of manual settings possible, and also lots of pre-sets, including pre-sets that are customized by various musical artists. I've had fun trying various different settings with my music, especially with different types of music. They do deliver a very immersive sound; I've tried lots of different headphones, from very low end to very high end and the combination of comfort, noise cancellation and immersive sound with these is easily my favorite. I use these for movies, for music and even for working out, and they are ideal.

The only complaints I have are: (1) that the batteries only last about three hours, and they seem to take a long time to fully charge (as in, longer than three hours); (2) the app works well, but an odd thing I noticed is that it doesn't always give an accurate reading of the charge on the battery. When you have the headphones hooked up via Bluetooth and you turn on the app the very first thing it shows you is how much charge remains on the battery. That seemed to work fine at first, but I've had several times where the batteries are fully charged and the app tells me that they are at 0% ... Not sure why. They still work for about 3 hours, and all the other controls work fine, but the app doesn't give an accurate reading. (3) the other issue is, I think, fairly minor, and lots of other reviewers have noted it: you can control your music via a touch sensitive surface on the outside of the right earphone. I like that a lot. You slide up to increase the volume and slide down to decrease; swipe forward to go to the next music track and swipe backwards to go to the previous. Tap to pause the music. That works great ... but, it is so sensitive that whenever I try to adjust the headphones on my ears it pauses the music. That's not such a big deal -- and you can turn off this function using the app, but I wouldn't want to do that because I like it, so I wish that it were only sensitive in, say, the middle of the earphone and then adjusting from the side wouldn't pause the music.

Overall, though, these are fantastic earphones. The active noise-cancellation feature is pretty astonishing. They are comfortable, they deliver an amazing and expansive sound; the sound controls can be adjusted to your liking using the app. I'm very happy with them, and with a few minor tweaks these could be pretty perfect.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2015 9:40 PM PDT

Belkin HDMI to 2x VGA Splitter Dongle (F2CD063tt)
Belkin HDMI to 2x VGA Splitter Dongle (F2CD063tt)
Price: Click here to see our price
10 used & new from $34.74

3.0 out of 5 stars This DOES work to deliver signals to two external monitors, but the signal doesn't seem to be as good as it should be, April 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This DOES work. I can plug in two displays via VGA cable to the Belkin dongle and then plug the dongle into the HDMI input on my Macbook Pro, and then both of the displays will either mirror what is on my screen or work as an extension of my screen. Of course, both displays will show the same thing, since they are getting the same signal.

My concern is that they don't seem to be getting as good a signal as if I connected either of them directly to my HDMI port. Even if I hook either of them to my HDMI port via their VGA output. I do have a cord that goes from HDMI to VGA, and that is how I usually connect one of my monitors. I hook the other up to via a cable that goes from the HDMI port on the monitor to the Thunderbolt input on my Mac. When I have it hooked up like that, they both look great - even the one that is hooked up via VGA. By contrast, when I hooked up the two monitors with this dongle, they both lost resolution. The image looks fuzzier, no matter what I do with my monitor settings. Another thing is that, I'm not sure why, whenever I hook up one of the monitors to this I hear a cycling sound, it's almost a low click that I hear about every second. I can fix that by turning off the volume on that monitor, but it seems like the device is emitting some kind of feedback that is producing the noise, and that troubles me a bit.

Anyhow, I really hoped that with this I could get both screens to display while only using the single HDMI input, saving the Thunderbolt port for use with an external hard drive. (I usually have to shut down one of the displays when I plug in some of my other devices.) This WILL work, but the reduced resolution and the increased fuzziness of the image makes it less worthwhile than I hoped. Another thing I didn't realize when I got this is that it doesn't get enough power from the HDMI port to send the signal to both displays, so in order to make it work you have to also plug the dongle into a USB port, via a supplied cable. I have a standalone USB dock that plugs into the wall, so that isn't a terrible drawback because it doesn't require me to use one of the USB ports on my laptop, but it is a thing to note.

This is a useful device, that might be an ideal solution for some setups, and that is less expensive than some of the other solutions out there that you might use to get signal to dual monitors. Still, it's not perfect, and I don't expect to be using it. I will stick to my old strategy of using both an HDMI port and a Thunderbolt port.

IRIScan Book 3 Wireless Portable 900 dpi Color Scanner
IRIScan Book 3 Wireless Portable 900 dpi Color Scanner
Price: $68.99
49 used & new from $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful scanner that works great for scanning pages from books or magazines, April 19, 2015
The IRIScan Book 3 portable scanner is a very useful and easy to use scanner, that you can carry around in a bag and produce quick and easy scans of a variety of documents. It's especially useful if you want to capture an article in a magazine or a few pages of a book. You can get a readable scan quickly, without needing to find a copy machine.

If you want a very clean scan that looks like a photocopy, however, it's very hard to do. The way you scan is you set the scanner on the page, turn it on and press the scan button. Then run the scanner slowly and evenly across the page and press the scan button again. You'll see a little preview of your scan on the mini LCD screen and then you can take another scan.

The problem is that it's very hard to make a perfect scan. Most scans end up looking "wobbly" and that's because it's hard to move the scanner at a perfectly even pace. The scanner comes with text recognition software, that is supposed to be able to read the text you scan, and it works but not perfectly. When you input something it recognizes "blocks" of text and then when you have it convert, it turns those into text. The text is usually a bit messy - especially where the recording is a bit wobbly and, as mentioned, that is hard to avoid. It does a pretty good job, but I've used much better text recognition programs.

I should say that I'm a bit spoiled because I already have an excellent Canon scanner that feeds documents neatly and produces very lovely scans. The scans this produces are okay, but not lovely. I would say it's ideal for scanning pages that you can't tear out of books or magazines, or that won't fit into a copier, or if you can't access a copier. So it's a good thing to have around for research and documentation purposes. It won't produce lovely scans, but it will produce readable scans, especially if you have a steady hand. (Sample provided for the purpose of testing and review.)

Nationite reCharge A3 13000mAh 3 USB Port Portable External Battery Charger & Power Bank - For iPhone, iPad, Android Tablets, Phones & More
Offered by MP4NATION
Price: $19.50

4.0 out of 5 stars A very useful & compact high capacity charger that is well-built and looks nice, & is convenient to carry in a backpack or purse, April 19, 2015
This is an easy-to-use and inexpensive powerbank, that will charge up phones and a variety of other USB powered devices.

I use it mostly to charge my iPhone, and it will charge it up several times before I have to go back and charge up the bank. It carries 13000mAh of power -- compare that to about 1800mAh for the iPhone 6 and you'll see that this has a lot of capacity. Of course, no battery charger is perfectly efficient and there will be some power loss during charging, so don't expect to be able to charge your iPhone seven times on a single charge of the battery pack, but you should be able to get 4 or 5 charges out of it. You might be able to charge a full sized iPad about once. Still, in most situations a battery charger is a backup needed to give a few extra hours of use until you can plug it in.

You charge the bank by plugging a USB cord to the wall or a laptop and then plugging the micro-USB side into the bank. Blue lights flash to indicate the level of charging. 1 light steady and 3 lights flashing means it's 25% charged; 3 lights steady and 1 light flashing means it's 75% charged. You can test the charge level by tapping the "ON" button once and each light indicates 25%. You can plug in up to three devices in the 3 standard USB ports. According to the instructions the bank has chips built in that determine the level of voltage and current that your device can handle safely, so it doesn't matter which output you plug each device into. I haven't had any problems, so I assume that is accurate.

This is a handy thing to have in a backpack or a purse for emergency situations when you run out of juice on a camera or a phone or a tablet. It would also be ideal for a camping trip. It even has a built-in LED flashlight. Just press the on button twice rapidly to turn it on, and then twice again to turn it off. (Sample provided for the purpose of testing and review.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20