Profile for Curtis > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Curtis "C.D. Coburn" RSS Feed (Evanston)

Page: 1 | 2
Samsung Electronics Book Cover for Galaxy Note 10.1-Inch, White  (EFC-1G2NWECXAR)
Samsung Electronics Book Cover for Galaxy Note 10.1-Inch, White (EFC-1G2NWECXAR)
Offered by Buyer's Point
Price: $9.99
56 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It's great, May 28, 2014
Though I believe these to be a bit overpriced, it's a Note Case, and it protects the tablet from getting scratches on the screen. I use my Note with school, and always place it in my back pack with other books and computers. I don't like the idea putting my tablet in there without any protection, and this case is good as it's soft protecting the tablet from scratches.

It's a stand that holds the tablet in two positions, one for typing, which I find to be a good position for it, and one for watching videos as it's standing up. I also found that if you place it upside down, you can have another position, but that's not really the best way.

Overall, it does what I need it to do. Keep my tablet clean.

DVORAK SIMPLIFIED NON-TRANSPARENT KEYBOARD STICKERS BLACK BACKGROUND FOR DESKTOP, LAPTOP AND NOTEBOOK
Offered by STICKERS 4KEYBOARD
Price: $2.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Dvorak Keyboards are awesome, May 28, 2014
If you're a Dvorak user, most likely you will not need these anyway because you are used to touch typing like I am. However, when it comes to keys and symbols that you don't use everyday like, <,>, =, ;, \, it's good to have something to tell you where it is. After typing so many words on these stickers, and using this keyboard so long, sure they get a little dirty, however they haven't faded away yet. If you're a Dvorak user, I recommend these.

Human Creations Bicycle Dynamo USB Charger Kit with Universal Phone/GPS/iPhone/MP3 Holder
Offered by Beanworthy
Price: $67.30
2 used & new from $50.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Better off making your own, May 28, 2014
I was hoping that when buying this that it would be a worth while product, however when I actually had some time to use it, and it falling apart on me, I realized that it's just a bunch of cheap parts all in one package.
The Dynamo is something that you can buy for around $20, and the phone mount is something that you could buy for around $12, and that is already half the price of this product.

The instructions were unclear, and the product did not fit the fork for my bike, therefore if I wanted to use it on this bike, I would have to go out and buy bigger screws for the clamp to hold the dynamo. Getting the dynamo in the exact position was a challenge while installing it. The manual isn't clear as to how to install it, so I just figured it out on my own.

After finally getting it installed, I went to test it out, and the first bump that I went over, the whole phone mount came off, almost breaking my phone. For some time it was charging, but due to the unclear manual, and the phone mount almost breaking my phone, I would not recommend this. I recommend buying the parts separately, and buying higher quality products (phone mount) and saving half your money.

Edit Review after 3 more weeks of use.

I decided to not raise my initial review, but instead detail my opinion of this product. I am finding it hard to see the positive thing in this device to be honest. One reviewer said that it charged his Samsung Galaxy S2 at 1% / Mile. The device I am using is a Motorola Moto G. So, let's begin with the charger itself.

The charger is a basic bike dynamo that one could purchase for $15 here on Amazon. It presses against the wheel and spins to create energy which is converted to charge your device. However, while riding my bike with my Moto G plugged in, averaging around 20 Km/H (about 13 MPH) I have never increased the percentage of my battery, despite all the testing that I have conducted with this device with the exception that I completely turn my phone off which completely defeats the purpose of the dynamo.

At first I used the phone as normal as I would. I ran an app called Runtastic Road bike which tracks my distance, speed, calories etc. This uses a GPS to dictate where I have gone. In the background I run an app called Moves, which tracks distance by cycling, cars, as well as steps taken in a day. This also uses GPS but in the background so it's less intense, however still a high battery drainer along with runtastic. Lastly, another app I used is Pandora connected with a bluetooth headset. This of course uses date to stream music. With all these apps put together, along with the screen having to be on all the time because I start and stop and phones are programmed to turn on and off when there is a charge and no charge it'd be tedious to turn it off every time I had to stop at a red light. So I changed things up and used the phone as minimal as I can.

I stopped Moves, Runtastic and only streamed pandora. However with the screen turning on and off at times, still averaging 13 MPH, the battery will still discharge but at a much slower rate. Turning the phone completely off and going on a 7 mile trail, I noticed that the phone only charged around 2% in total, taking another reviewers 1% / mile false in my case, even with the phone completely shut off.

Despite the slow charge, the worst thing about this product was the phone mount. Initially the first ride I took it out for, the whole mount came off and went rushing to the ground. Good thing my Moto G is okay though. I left a review in disappointment and the seller reached out to me and promised a new phone mount. It arrived sooner than expected. Thanks for that. However I am not happy with it's cheap design and flimsy clamp. It makes me uncomfortable to clamp my $200 phone to it, or risking it going down a sewer. However, while being careful, I was able to manage going over a few bumps at an average speed of 7 MPH. I would not risk going faster than that, or go mountain biking with this clamp. It just makes me uncomfortable. I was careful the whole time.

In conclusion, this device does not charge newer phones (phones released within 2 years). The only thing that I got out of it was it being able to discharge my device slower which may help on longer rides, however if you have a phone with a removable battery (Sadly I don't), I'd recommend buying $50 in batteries than rely on this charger, or invest in a Motorola power pack. And if you have a newer generation phone, (Galaxy S3, S4, S5, Note III, Moto X, LG G 2, LG G 3, Sony Experia, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Moto G ect.) You will not charge your device at all. I recommend getting a power pack.

Now this review was only for charging phones. If you intend to use it for a GPS. I know nothing about that.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2014 2:20 AM PDT

Sony Movie Studio 13
Sony Movie Studio 13
Price: $19.99
35 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for editing video from digital camera, May 1, 2014
This review is from: Sony Movie Studio 13 (DVD-ROM)
I used this for editing video from my digital camera, and it did well. However, when I got into editing video game footage, this software lacked the .xtor codec comparability. It could no longer do what I wanted it to do. The time that I used it, I liked it. It's great for beginner editors.

Generic Headset with Microphone - Xbox 360
Generic Headset with Microphone - Xbox 360
Offered by Exfactory Solutions
Price: $6.23
35 used & new from $2.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Headset, March 4, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Despite what the other people have said, this is a great headset for the price. I bought this 3 months ago, and have been using it every day sense. As long as you take care of it, don't pull on the wire, and really care for it, then you will have this for a while.

Tsunami RCA701-Y2 RCA 2 Female to 1 Male Y Connector Cable (6-Inch, Gray) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
3 used & new from $8.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, October 15, 2011
So first off I want to say that I can't find this in a local store. I went to best buy, they did not have it. I went to three different radio shacks and they did not have it. Do I knew I was getting a good deal on Amazon.com. From the other reviews I read, it works great with gaming. And that is what I am using it for. And it works great. No lag, easy set up, and I got 3 of them. I am glade I bought them.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2011 2:06 PM PST

RiteAV RCA Audio Video Cable (6 feet)
RiteAV RCA Audio Video Cable (6 feet)
Offered by Ultra Spec Cables (RiteAV®)
Price: $7.90
32 used & new from $1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, October 15, 2011
I am so glad I came here on Amazon.com to get this instead of anywhere else. I went all over town after I looked at it on Amazon.com, and nothing beat Amazon.com. I went to Best buy, and they did not have one for 3 feet, and they had one for 6 feet long, and I do not need it that long. They also wanted $13.00 for it.
I went to radio shack and same thing. 6 feet, and $13.00.
So just came here on Amazon.com, and $4.00 I got one for 3 feet, that has been used, and it works just like it is new.

EMPIRE 5-Pack LCD Screen Protector with Lint Cleaning Cloth for Apple iPhone 3G 8GB 16GB [EMPIRE Packaging]
Offered by Empire Case
Price: Click here to see our price
10 used & new from $3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, September 5, 2011
Only paying $1.08 for this and to get 5 of them, I really like it. It is a little hard to put it on great, but it will just take practice. All I know is that it will protect the screen on my phone now.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Ultimate Edition
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Ultimate Edition
Offered by NYC Electronics
Price: $12.55
102 used & new from $2.26

3.0 out of 5 stars Dice needs to move away from EA, August 17, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Overall the game is great. It is fun to play online (If you can get online), the campaign is fun to play, it is just the game was developed by Electronic Arts (EA Games). Now EA makes great single player games, and some sports games too (Even though it is the same game every year, just with a different title). The major problem with EA is they SUCK at having servers, and having games available to play games online. Dice uses EA's servers to run Battlefield: Bad Company 2 online, and right from when I hear about that I know there was going to be a problem.

A lot of the games that I played by EA that are online games. Most of them have been sports games. After about two to three months of the release of a sports game that EA makes, they will shut down the server so you will not be able to play the game on Xbox live. If you are an achievement hunter, then you are out of luck. I know many achievement hunters that will refuse to buy a EA game that has achievement's online. Because they know that something will go wrong and they will never get to beat (complete the game).

As for the servers with Battlefield: Bad Company 2, again something goes wrong with the servers, that MANY people will not be able to connect to the online, because of EA. When you are in the game and you try to connect, it will say "Failed to connect to EA online". For me, this happened EVERY TIME I wanted to play. I simply just said "Screw it I'm selling this game".

I did get a chance to play it online, and it is a lot of fun, but I really do think that this game will be better if Dice did not use EA's servers.

Sources: Please visit this and see for yourself.

[...]

[...]

Knowing that Battlefield: 3 is also produced by EA. I expect more problems with the servers, and with EA. But I do think the game is going to to be great.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2011 7:46 AM PDT

Revlon Revlon Colorsilk Beautiful Color #47 Medium Rich Brown
Revlon Revlon Colorsilk Beautiful Color #47 Medium Rich Brown
Offered by Naturally Good Enterprises
Price: $4.99
15 used & new from $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Its worth the price, August 17, 2011
I used this when I dyed my hair lighter blonde then natural. So I wanted to darken it up. Used this, and It turned out a little darker then medium brown, but still I think it looks good. Once it fades it will look more natural.

For the price of how cheep this is, I would say it is a good deal.

Page: 1 | 2