Profile for E. Onal > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 38

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

E. Onal RSS Feed (Atlanta, GA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Nokia Lumia 1020, Black 32GB (AT&T)
Nokia Lumia 1020, Black 32GB (AT&T)
Price: $599.00
3 used & new from $297.00

4.0 out of 5 stars good camera, phone works w t-mobile, but mind the hump, gets hot, slow cam, screen scratches, October 6, 2013
Summary:
* Works perfectly fine with T-Mobile
* It is a big phone, but perfectly acceptable (fits in jean pocket), if using without a protective cover
* Black looks nice, has a formal look to it
* Camera is great, as of fall 2013 one of the best overall, and simply the best in zoom
* This does come at an expense -- gets very hot when taking pictures & using flash, and accordingly battery life is impacted significantly

I purchased this phone about two weeks ago from a Microsoft store. It came with a free camera grip, and I paid about 650 including tax. I'm generally happy with the phone. I'm using it on T-Mobile, so I had to get it unlocked for $10 through ebay (just did "Lumia 1020 unlock" search and picked a merchant that had high ratings). I received the unlock code within an hour. Apparently, I simply could have called AT&T and since I paid the full price, and they apparently could unlock it for you. Having said that based on what I read on forums it looked like people were on hold for a long time and had to call multiple times to get the unlock code. I didn't want to deal with that. Also, I had a standard-sized T-Mobile SIM card (the phone did not come with a micro SIM card), I had to cut it to size to fit in 1020. You can search for "micro SIM template" on the web, though don't risk it if unsure. I didn't have any issues after this 'surgical procedure'.

I said 'mind the hump' but I don't mind it at all. It is a big phone, but I decided not to use a protective cover, so I suppose if you take that risk, it fits comfortably in my jean pocket. I like the black color, low-key and has a weight to it. It has a formal look that I enjoy.

Now the camera. It does take very good pictures. I don't have to carry my point & shoot anymore. Even zoom is very respectable, especially with 720p video. Obviously you don't get as much zoom with 5MP pictures, but most situations I don't find myself missing optical zoom. I'm not a photographer, but did not run into some of the issues discussed in forums. I'm very happy with the camera, but it should be said that it is not like it is many times better than the next best camera. It is simply a little bit better than the rest (with the exception of zoom, which is very cool). And that little bit better comes at a cost: it does get very hot when taking pictures and using the flash. You can almost watch the battery go down with each flash :- ) Mine came with the camera grip (free). On my test day I took 83 pictures throughout the day and two short videos (~2 minutes) and the camera grip battery was exhausted (1020mAh), and I was 1/3 way into the phone's battery (note that I did also use the phone for picture effects, very light surfing, and no phone calls). The phone itself has a 2000mAh battery.

Talking about picture effects, Nokia has a very cool software for adding motion effects, picking the best shot, composing a multi-picture action shot, and people-erasing. It has a number of other picture editing software, and they all looked very nice, but I didn't spend much time on them.

Now Window Phone 8. I've been using Windows Phone 7.5 and while WP8 is much better it, unless you are missing a specific feature, it is not a must have. It is very fluid and I enjoy the modern interface. The main issue is the lack of apps. And this is coming from a person who doesn't use apps all that much. My issue is that certain key apps are not available for WP. Nike+ FuelBand, nope, can't sync with phone. My local bank, nope, iPhone & Android only. Parrot Drone control app, nope, iPhone & Android only. The list goes on. If you don't mind that or don't need that, this is a great phone, go for it. I did :- )

Updated October 14, 2013
OK, I noticed minor scratches and a nick on the screen (I'm not using a screen protector). This is very upsetting, given this phone is supposed to have gorilla glass 3. I have a 2 year old HTC Radar (I think with regular gorilla glass) and AFTER two years, with NO screen protector, SAME usage, its screen is almost in pristine condition save for one minor scratch. In forums theories abound:
* I messed up, should have used a screen protector (how about HTC Radar then?)
* It is only the oleo phobic coating, not the screen itself (seems deeper than that, I can feel the scratches)
* There are individual variations between phones even with the same gorilla glass (maybe)
So I'm not sure what the cause is, but you have to baby the screen, probably more so than your previous phones. Very upsetting.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2013 6:35 AM PST

Anker® 1900mAh Li-ion Battery for HTC Sensation, Sensation XE, Sensation 4G, EVO 3D [18-Month Warranty]
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $35.99
2 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for HTC Radar, January 10, 2013
HTC Radar wasn't in the compatibility list, but after a little research I wanted to give this a try. My phone's battery was in pretty bad shape -- it wasn't even going a whole day with light usage.

You can look on youtube on how to open your HTC Radar, just search for "Open HTC Radar", there is one about replacing the LCD, that is pretty good, obviously since you are not replacing the LCD you only need the beginning of the video. You do need a special Torx screwdriver for this job.

Putting it in was relatively easy, and I couldn't be happier! I charged my HTC Radar for about 24hrs, I unplugged it from the charger Monday morning and used it lightly on Monday and Tuesday (mail set to retrieve immediately) and by Wednesday morning, I still had 19% charge left. Better than the original battery. Good product, cheap, highly recommended.

DRY PAK DP-44 Alligator Waterproof Wallet
DRY PAK DP-44 Alligator Waterproof Wallet
Price: $7.99
45 used & new from $6.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked great, even when diving!, December 28, 2012
This review is from: Dry Pak Alligator Wallet (Sports)
You are not supposed to dive with this thing. But I did. I got all the air out, and went diving. Mind you just 30-40 feet or so, so not very deep. But it worked perfectly good with no leak. It is meant to be limited to just money and cards -- you can't put thicker / bigger items in it.

Speedo Begin to Swim Fabric Armbands, Blue
Speedo Begin to Swim Fabric Armbands, Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Sand gets in easily, otherwise great, December 28, 2012
As far as armbands, they are great, the fabric is soft enough, my 5 year old son really liked them.

The problem is because of the fabric, if you use these by the beach, sand will inevitably get into all the crevices. You have to take the fabric out, but because of all the folds and crevices it takes effort to get it completely cleaned. In fact you might want to wait until they are all dry before getting the sand out.

Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core  LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K
Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K
Price: $227.99
123 used & new from $190.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Remember this comes with tne CPU cooler, December 28, 2012
I ordered this and also a separate CPU fan (Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler). I didn't realize this already comes with a CPU fan. Had I known (had I looked at the pictures -- don't see it in the description) I might have not ordered a separate CPU fan.

Having said that the CPU fan that comes with it is very basic. My CPU temp hovers around 40-45 degrees C in room temperature, under light load. Since this CPU can be overclocked fairly easily, you might want to invest in a good CPU fan.

In my case I'm keeping the Cooler Master and not returning it -- since it is a much better fan.

Flents Quiet Please Foam Ear Plugs  25 Pair,
Flents Quiet Please Foam Ear Plugs 25 Pair,
Offered by TheOnlineDrugstore
Price: $6.49
3 used & new from $5.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to insert, very effective, December 28, 2012
These are great. When you squish them they are a little slow to return back to their shape, which is great for inserting into your ear. You don't have to hurry as much when putting them in your ear. Once they expand completely inside they are quite effective too. Can't beat it.

Mohu Leaf Paper -Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna - Made in USA - Manufacturer Refurbished
Offered by Firemall LLC
Price: $29.99
10 used & new from $22.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Check your location, may not work well for you, December 28, 2012
I was hoping to cut cable with this antenna. Alas, we could only receive two (HD) stations using this HDTV antenna. I should have checked our distance from the transmitters. AntennaWeb (dot) org is a good site, you can put in your zip code and it would tell you the type of antenna you would need. There is an element of luck involved based on where your house is, etc. Good luck!

HDE USB Wireless Receiver compatible with Xbox 360 Controllers for PC Gaming and Steam Platforms
Offered by HDE
Price: $11.99
7 used & new from $6.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work for me -- Windows 8 64 bit, December 27, 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Well didn't work in my case. Followed the instructions from the other reviewers -- there are slight variations in the instructions, and I tried them all, and more -- with no luck. I'm on Windows 8 64 bit that might have been the reason (though it looks like at least one reviewer got it to work under Windows 8 64 bit. This is going bad, too bad.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2013 10:10 PM PDT

Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX/NVIDIA SLI W/ HDMI,DVI,DispayPort Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-Z77X-UD3H
2 used & new from $399.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Good board, for the parts that work, December 23, 2012
I paired this with:
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
Cooler Master Elite 430 - Mid Tower Computer Case with All-Black Interior (RC-430-KWN1)
Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Core i3, i5, i7 and Platforms SDRAM CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

Installation was fairly easy with Windows 7 (64bit) ultimate. Overall this system is very fast, boots up in around 20seconds with an SSD drive.

I didn't try the overclocking options yet (though I realize that is the main selling point!).

I updated all the firmware and drivers to the latest with the included CD and through gigabyte's web site.

Some problems I encountered:
* I'm using the onboard video card (will get a discrete video card though) and it is pretty OK for the most part. I'm using it with Windows Media Center and it works fine at HD. BUT: my system won't boot up when I connect to my Samsung DLP using an HDMI cable. It would just sit there. If I use a VGA cable it works fine. I did a little search on the web and apparently this HDMI issue is not uncommon. I tried all sorts of things to make this work (updating firmware, changing the HDMI cable, trying different TV settings, BIOS options, etc). Long story short, finally what I did was connect the HDMI cable and the VGA cable to the DLP TV at the same time and it now boots up! I just cloned the displays in Windows so now everything is fine.
* Memory was not identified at 1600mhz automatically, had to manually set it. Not a biggy.
* I connected 4 HDDs (just like in my older system), but one of them was very slow when connected. Not sure what the issue is there. That HDD works fine when connected to my laptop. I tried connecting the different SATA ports with no success. That HDD (western digital) and the gigabyte MB don't seem to get along.

It's been very time consuming trying to troubleshoot these problems. I was hoping to just swap out my old system and swap in this system, but perhaps that was asking for too much. I feel bad giving 3 stars, but I can't ignore the issues I had to deal with. 3.5 stars would be more fair but amazon doesn't have that option.

Mini Cree Led Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Light Lamp
Mini Cree Led Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Light Lamp
Offered by Cable Time
Price: $3.69
141 used & new from $2.00

4.0 out of 5 stars bright, cheap, works 2+ hours, but with issues, October 11, 2012
PROS
First off all, this is a nice little flashlight for five bucks. I purchased two, actually (and one @ eight bucks for some reason). For its size it is also nice and bright, and looks handsome for what it is. I did a battery rundown test with one fresh Amazon AA battery and it went for 2 hours and 34 minutes @ high brightness. That sounds precise, but I had left it running and that is when I noticed a significant reduction in brightness. You could still use it (see the con below, though), but wasn't as bright. Get this -- by accident I left it running and was still working (though barely noticable) the next morning (again see the con below).

CONS
Here is the achilles heel (at least for the two units I received in the mail): the circuitry inside doesn't work properly if the voltage is below a certain threshold. So, in my test above when I saw the flashlight still lit the next morning I turned it off and it won't turn on again. And whatever, that's not too bad. But even with a slightly used AA battery sometimes it would refuse to turn on. In fact I thought mine was defective, because only certain modes (bright and flashing, but no half brightness) were working when I got it (I was testing with a perfectly good AA, but not a fresh one).

So the circuitry is a little funny if you don't have a fresh AA (at least for two units I have). Hope this helps!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4