Profile for Mookie > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mookie RSS Feed

METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE [Online Game Code]
METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE [Online Game Code]
Price: $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Its not your typical MGS but its still very fun, April 3, 2014
Cons:

Its short
Its not stealthy
Voice acting can sometimes feel off
Japanese Hilariousness

Pros:

Great Music
Very action packed
Intense battles
From amazing to silly presentations
Its fun
The hack 'n' Slash mechanics works almost flawlessly
Epic boss battles
Side quests

$50 PlayStation Store Gift Card - PS3/ PS4/ PS Vita [Digital Code]
$50 PlayStation Store Gift Card - PS3/ PS4/ PS Vita [Digital Code]
Price: $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, April 3, 2014
So now i don't have to drive to the market just to get one of these and plus, it has pretty good price whenever it hits on sale.

Battlefield 3: Premium Edition [Online Game Code]
Battlefield 3: Premium Edition [Online Game Code]
Price: Click here to see our price

5.0 out of 5 stars An all out BF3 experience, October 3, 2013
After buying only the base game for so long i thought that the game is done from there.

I was a bit wrong. By buying this it adds all the remaining multiplayer maps of the game plus queue priority so that you won't have to wait longer to get in your favorite servers, profile reset that provides replayability and polish your soldier profile to be more recognized by others, strategy guides and exclusive double XP events.

Overall it was worth the wait to buy this game when it went on sale.

So for others who wants to have more experience on Battlefield 3, ignore other DLCs and get this one as it is a full package of the game.

Cheers!

Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Xbox 360
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Xbox 360
Offered by J&S GAMES
Price: $11.47
82 used & new from $4.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Its good but not as great as..., December 2, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
(Originally reviewed in Oct. 29, 2011)

"Make Metal Bleed" as the back cover of the game said

If you ask me what's my best jet fighting simulation game i've played in my life, that would be Ace Combat series. I played most of them since the first one on PS1. All my life, i never found another game that can par with NAMCOs' masterpeice.

After a long wait for consoles since Ace Combat 6, it's back with agressiveness pushing away other games that tried to challenge one of NAMCOs' pride and asset.

Though did it delivered well? We shall see as i share my thoughts on the game.

Presentation:

"Modern Warfare in the sky"

The set up is now mentioned in actual world locations, mentioning from previous trailers are Miami, African locations and many more. Surely the game won't be complete without a storyline and now it's been aided by a New York Times bestselling military author Jim DeFelice and shaped a story about Lt. Colonel William Bishop from the Warwolf Flight Squadron and his quest to stop a Russian terrorist named Col. Markov A.K.A "Akula" who has a weapon that can blow up pretty much a city. Unlike the previous and traditional Ace's direct mission briefing then take off segment, they added some QTE (Quick Time Event) elements for you to react while off the plane (Heavy Rain-ish) which basically pointless for me to be honest. But gladly the phasing is fast & it won't take long till you get on a mission. It's a new gesture from the game and also trying other weaponries and aircrafts. Let's say aside from flying planes, one of them is you can fly an AH-64D Apache Longbow, a gunner on MH-60 Black Hawk and other planes with different functions depending on the given mission. So basically it's a different curve but it's still a welcoming add on.

Graphics:

There are no traces to disappoint the game in terms of visuals. The textures on a blown up enemy aircraft is spot on, however I laughed when I saw an enemy pilot wasn't ripped to shreds as I blew his plane sky high. But I guess to avoid being flagged as a bloody game perhaps. But none the less, seeing a shattered plane gives you the sense of sweet victory after taking down one plane after the other.

Gameplay:

You fly a plane & blow some stuff up, simple? Well it used to be like that but the new installment has some treats to keep you occupied for a bit by flying attack choppers, bombers and also a gunner. Though the main meat of the game is to be the Ace in the air and fly planes with different specs and specialties for each given mission. The new main element of the game is the Close-range assault "Dogfight mode". It can be activated when you're close enough to an enemy plane; there, the controls will turn into a semi automatic tailing system (which is a bit silly for me but it made up by taking control on a close range attack) and stick with them as long as you can till you lock on & blow them in mid-air, that way you will feel the sense of satisfaction after each kill. However there are two kinds of control mode whereas semi auto pilot "Optimum" for those who are new in the genre (which I don't like to use) & the "Original" mode for those who are veterans (like me) on the game that will let you fully control your plane and do as many barrel rolls as you pleased.

Each plane has their own special weapons and class whether a bomber, an air-to-air or both. There are tons of planes to choose from and that will also please the fans and keep them busy searching for their favorite plane/s (where are my Su planes from the start of the game!!!).

Aside from the single player, the multiplayer is back with co-op or a death match for all 16 players and plane customizations.

In co-op mode, you can team up with a trusted buddy while on 16 multiplayer, first there's Capital Conquest where each team has a group base to protect and destroy the other team's base; there's also Domination where you capture ground installations and lastly there's the classic deathmatch where it's more intense than the single player by taking down a real player to see who dominates the skies. So basically the other half of the fun lies in the multiplayer.

Audio:

In terms of voice acting, it's pretty stiff which sometimes feel like the character's movement didn't blend well to the voice acting. I also found out that the sound quality wasn't that epic enough for my 5.1 surround sound headset which I found that the music was louder than rest so I had to adjust the volumes. But on the brighter side, its well done in terms of explosions, weapons and epic OST which has a mixed of Rock Metal, Techno & Orchestra feel to it; plus one of their track called "Rush" gave me Goosebumps whenever I hear the guitar solo.

Overall:

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon is actually a good game but not as great as Ace Combat 5 for me. The gameplay, graphics & OST did very well done but the storyline fell short and wasn't as epic as I experienced in AC5s' "The Journey home" song which the game also represents "world peace" from two giant fictional countries (*cough* USA *cough* & *cough* Russia *cough*!) fighting earch other that almost made a world war. But none the less, this game is a welcomed from its genre & from what i see no one can do better; Project ACES still is untouchable and cannot be compared when it comes to making a good arcade jet fighting simulator game. So if you ask me again what's my favorite fighting simulation game? I'd still say NAMCOs' Ace Combat series and this will be one of them but the best of them. This will be welcomed for young aces with the help of putting a modern feel to it; and for the fans of the genre, go get it, it's worth the long wait and you can't find anything better than Ace Combat.

Score 8

Intense new Dog fight system
Awesome Multiplayer
Breath taking OST
Using other air crafts
Faster phased air combat in the series

Con(s)
You can forget about the storyline
A few missions doesn't feel right
Pointless off battle interactions at times
Pointless QTEs

Mass Effect 3 Digital Deluxe Version [Download]
Mass Effect 3 Digital Deluxe Version [Download]
Price: $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Best version to buy for hassle-free of getting the DLC characters, December 2, 2012
(Originally reviewed at July 24, 2012 & after the extended endings)

Back then, I only knew the series three years after official the release of the first Mass Effect on xbox 360. I bought a used one for 50 Saudi Riyals (13 US Dollars). It was a damn good price but only to play it after a couple of more months later & after spending more than a hundred hours on Dragon Age Ultimate Edition. By the time I played it I felt in love and my interest grew bigger when I finished the second installment. So here I am (after a longest vacation from my gaming blog) to review the third and final chapter with my personal thoughts to it.

Presentation:

Okay, the selling point. Where they shine and spent most of their efforts just to make $$$. Bringing big names in Hollywood for voice acting, great OSTs, profound graphics and more solid battle system gameplay and I know we get it. They gathered them all to give us a ride to put us on the edge of our seat & have our Shepard's last journey for one last time. Overall I was impressed and seeing its transformation all the way from the first one. At most, it has improved as mentioned.

Graphics:

It is obvious to find that their first priority is to impress the naked eye to the point of overlaying the fundamentals of what we were supposed to look at. However, none the less, it is what it is and I am again impressed. Not to mention memorable cut scenes.

Gameplay:

First is their single player, I can say that it's relatively shorter in length (that's what she said) than the first ME and became a little bit less RPG-like and a bit more of a Third Person action Shooter. However, it didn't fail by keeping me occupied till end also because of how the story was told. Even with a few hiccups, the modifications in controls felt a lot fluid than the last & triggering fire felt way better as well. As always, one of the best things I like about this is carrying over your progress all the way from ME 1 felt very rewarding in character records, achievements, abilities and money but sadly most of those didn't matter when as you reach to the end of the game.

Secondly, the biggest new thing in the game is the obvious online multiplayer mode. When I first tried it I thought of two games, Gears of War in terms of controls and Killzone 2 & 3 in shifting game modes. Yes, Killzone and GOW just had a one night stand somewhere and made Mass Effect 3's Multiplayer mode baby.

Actually the mix was a pretty good & exhilarating experience. Given that third person shooters always has camera issues but it hold up well to be a competitive multiplayer experience. I personally say right now that GOW still keeps the crown in 3rd person shooter online MP feel if I were to compare it to this game. But none the less, the gameplay really works very well & the AI won't disappoint players.

Audio:

Also, we can't call it Mass Effect if there were no big names in it like Keith David Williams (Captain Anderson), Martin Sheen (The illusive man), Seth Green (Joker)...etc. Despite there were some crews that didn't impressed me much, most have given life to characters they were assigned to in which most of the fans will forever remember them to be part of the awesome modern RPG game. I personally wished for Hans Zimmer or Ramin Djawadi to do the score but everyone could only hope, but surprisingly things worked out well in the end with so many composers contributed for the game.

Overall:

Okay, on a professional standpoint it's a sure shot to the eyes of the bull and for the new comers they would definitely enjoy the experience (preferred to play previous ME for an epic feel and experience). Even after playing the first run they can spend more time on the Multiplayer mode. However, on a personal note, yes it was intense, emotional, great graphics, gameplay, storyline but wait... the ending however shattered my expectations to a low seeing all endings made me realized that they haven't spent enough time and effort on the last hours of ME3. "Effortless work" per se, I mean it looked like Bioware slacked off yet again (first there was Dragon Age 2). I don't mean not to try this game out, but at the first day priced DLCs only to find that they're already in the CD/Game are obvious making of a dirty business and a dirty scheme to milk out consumer's wallet. But have it your way, buy it or not, I'm sure you're content on your decision.

Update: after replaying the last mission with the extended endings, I felt that they pretty much redeemed themselves. More elaborated endings which pretty much fill in the blanks. After seeing the ending I chose I felt like replaying from the first game, I think it's that good.

So here's my score.

Score 8.5 (before extended endings) - 9.0

Eye popping graphics
Tremendous sounds effects and music
Improved battle system mechanics
Multiplayer mode will keep you busy & their updates are FREE!
High profiled voice actors and actresses
So many emotional encounters in the series
Update
Good work on the extended endings
Before entering the citadel at the last mission, there was a small but powerful scene (love it!)

Shortest of all three Mass Effect games
Leaning towards as a mainstreamed third person shooter & less of an RPG (i.e. critical decision making events, more limited explorations)
Effortless last hours of the game till the end (before the extended endings update)
First paid DLCs weren't necessary (I bought the collector's edition only to felt that the DLC characters played important roles in the game)

Batman: Arkham City Collector's Edition for Xbox 360
Batman: Arkham City Collector's Edition for Xbox 360
Offered by media&more
Price: $91.90
25 used & new from $39.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This game is for the fans and beyond!, December 2, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
(Originally reviewed it on Nov. 22, 2011)

It took me a couple of weeks and experinces just to produce the thought of reviewing this game and get it posted. In all honesty I'm actually terrified to post this review but WTH I'll just get over it & be done.

A year has passed since the incident in Arkham Asylum and now the prison has been moved within the city of Gotham. Gathring the criminals and put them all in a huge prison called Arkham City controlled by Hugo Strange and his troops of mercinaries. Before the game was released, I have thought and speculated many times & yet I never guessed the exact plot. When I thought that things got complicated from the looks of the trailers well it gets worse once I started it even at few minutes in. And yet the dark knight's adventrue begins as he unfolds and show you the darkness of that world.

Presentation:

My appreciation kicked in at the game menu, the music in the background & its visuals were impressive enough to get me in the mood to start it. In game, there are tons to appreciate about the dark corners. When I first checked the map I was left with astonishment and asked myself on how will I proceed and what should I do first (actually it was like "WTH is this!? Now I feel so small" but in a good way.). There were like 400 Riddler trophies scattered in the area and that alone left me scratch headed.

Graphics:

Just like the previous title, it's well appreciated from little things like ripped off bat suit after taking amount of damage from enemies all the way to wall marks when deactivating the Detective Mode (I usually put on detective vision but without it showed me wonders of my surroundings). Each territory and area handled by certain villain and at some area will also give trivia from a certain character from the series. Fans of the Batman world will stop in a corner for a moment and figure out the surroundings for clues and what references that may might find in every corner & that alone wows me.

Gameplay:

I will have to describe the game in three things. First Action Adventure: where you're given several missions to explore and discover the main plot of the game by using your starting gadgets and unlocking more to get better grip and effects plus getting more gadgets too. Second is Beat'em up, when engaging a fight, the mode will automatically shifts itself with commands to take down certain enemies, this time there are more combos to execute and most of them are pretty cool in which defines Batman a master in close counter combats. And third is Stealth, whereas you as the hunter and they're the hunted. A feel of Tenchu and Metal Gear style though with his own awesome tool that helps him to perform awesome stealth takedowns at your disposal and given areas that will help you improvise based on your creativity. Aside from playing as the Detective, you will also play as Catwoman, Robin & Nightwing (as DLCs) with their own cool perspectives. Overall the gameplay is fairly as solid as from Arkham Asylum but with additional gadgets & characters to control.

Audio:

Props to all who voice acted but I personally give a bit more to Mark Hamill who is back as Joker and to me he alone stole the show in terms of voice acting & to me, that alone is epic. I'm actually an OST junky so like when engaging enemies, the background music can transcend when action intensifies itself and they sounded awesome

Overall:

Batman Arkham City is bigger in terms of exploration, customization and discoveries; a lot more to the gadgets and things to do. So far, it's been nothing short but epic journey in the world of Arkham City and with so many surprises. Some friends asks me how good is the game and I usually reply them that there's too many good things in the game to mention but giving them away means a spoiler by itself; it has surpassed my expectations so I'll leave it to that. I would say that it's for those who are interested to find out so that I would not spoil anything especially my co fans of the hero. However, for new comers, if you have some extra cash I suggest to play the previous one if you want to get more juice from the storyline.

Score 10

Bigger world
More gadgets
So many surprises along the way
Great plot
Creative stealth kills at its best
Great Collector's Edition perks
Art book and statue are love notes for the fans

Con(s)
So many Riddler trophies to look for
Minor camera angle issues

Developer(s) Techland

Publisher(s) Deep Silver

Platform(s) PS3, Xbox 360 & PC

Release date September, 2011

Genre(s) Role Playing, First Person, Sandbox (Open World)

Mode(s) Single Player, Multiplayer

Rating(s) ESRB: M, PEGI: 18

I don't play much Zombie Apocalypse games, I don't like the idea that it's the trend of this generation so simply I don't like it when a certain subject can become the "it" factor in the world society and be part of that. Simply it diminishes my real identity and individuality. But none the less, I play them enough to understand its purpose and how effects towards the fan of the genre.

The game is developed by a gaming company which I was not familiar with even though Nail'd & Call of Juarez games were scattered in several shops back here I did not gave my time to check them out.

"So, why the f*** are you reviewing this game then?" you may ask. Some may still question themselves whether to buy this game or wait for another epic game to come but my reason behind it is simply that I had set myself to play with a mutual friend as soon as it came out. The first time I heard about the game was in their trailer, the first it caught my attention and I included it among the most dramatic game trailer I've seen. Read about the game and it was expected to be an open world with a Left 4 Dead survival FPS game. Few weeks after the video footage of the gameplay, I found that quests were shown Experience Points. By that time I started to expect an RPG element will include, which convinced me that it will not look like just another "hack-your-way-through-zombies" game.

On release day, as I made my first run, my previous views of the game changed almost significantly. Although my very first try was unpleasant due to several technical disturbing events. Patches were quickly given and things got a lot better by diminishing some game breaking bugs.

So here I am and ready to give my thoughts about the game.

Presentation:

The set up if located in a fictional paradise island (or so it was...) called Banoi. You can play as one of the four basic characters in the game and each of them has backgrounds and combat styles. As soon as you made your choice, you will wake up in a bed to find that things are in total chaos. And as one of the (immune) survivals, it's your job to save some survivals by discovering the open world of Banoi and try to figure out what's going on and what find its source as you hack your way through places with various infected (zombies).

Graphics:

There is no doubt that is has one impressive graphics I've seen in gaming. From open environments, narrow places, water effects and dark rooms, there's so much to appreciate in terms of landscapes and lightings. The blood and chopped fleshes will leave you in horror especially when cutting zombie's limbs as you go in slow motion.

Gameplay:

This is where it shines the most. But I will try to mention all of them one at a time without losing my focus. The view is set on First Person mode, when you check the skills; you will find that it's designed with kill trees and you need to earn points by leveling up; and to level up you need to kill zombies. Skill trees are distributed in three and they are set depending on the character class you chose and their classes are specialized in Firearms or Sharp Weapons or Throwing Sharp Weapons or Blunt Weapons. So the more killing and side questing the more experience you will gain to create a very effective class character. Since there's a class who's specialized in firearms, this game is more focused on using melee weapons and they work very well; weapons usually warn off so they needed maintenance by working on them on a workbench and they can also be upgraded to increase its effective use and durability, aside from maintaining a weapon, you can also create custom made weapons by acquiring manuals scattered in the island and it will instruct you for the items you will need to gather in order to make that particular weapon. The game can be played either solo which will take you long to finish a given quest and will have some difficulties to finish a mission or co-op whereas you will find quick questing and extra fun. Questing is designed traditionally like a fetching method taken from an RPG perspective, so you will be busy going to locations either on foot or via vehicle. When playing solo, the zombies will have a fair level close to yours unless if the host is higher from your level then you will have a rough time to kill one zombie at a time. My first play through wasn't pleasant due to several encounters of bugs and ultra-sensitive mouse handling which left me a bit dizzy. But in just a few days it got patched and most of the bugs were fixed. So the game got me hooked for more questing and level grinding which let me to forget about its glitches overtime.

Audio:

Given that this is an adult game, you will expect gores, screams and voice acting where you find them struggle to survive from attacks. Not excellent but believable to say the least.

This is literally one horrifying zombie apocalypse games I've ever played in terms of sounds. The voices of the infected will alert you as you hear them in the area. Given the fact that will determine what type of infected you will encounter nearby but the trouble here is that it's not clear to pin point their locations so expect to get many surprise attacks even though you're in a sunny open world. An early tip is to proceed with caution.

Overall:

What can I say? like i said i'm no fan on the zombie apocalypse game. However, it's another great pre-purchase for me via Steam. Dead Island gave a new flavored treat for those who love Left 4 Dead/Killing Floor games with a blend of RPG element which will charm gamers who played Fallout (3 & New Vegas) and Borderlands. It's a First Person Melee that strongly relies on the RPG element in a survival horror setup. But for those who expect gun blazing, solo campaign then you might need to rethink that. Despite the bugs I have encountered in the game, it never fails to let me go back to grind and loot for more goods and explore the wonderful yet horrifying Island of Banoi.

Score 9

Open world
Great weapon customization
Addicting level grinding & looting
Plays well with friends and will guarantee sheer fun
Will hook you on taking even the side quests
Surprise elements
Nice car control

Buggy
Very sensitive mouse control
Long questing when playing solo
Hard at times when playing solo

[Update]
With the rest of the DLCs in this game, it can't go wrong.

Command and Conquer The Ultimate Collection [Online Game Code]
Command and Conquer The Ultimate Collection [Online Game Code]
Price: $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Best for C&C lovers however..., November 23, 2012
Good:
All the C&C in one pack, for those who grew up loving this game this is the best time to grab it. I remembered looking for C&C Generals on digital and now it's finally here.

So-so:
Frame rate issues and old interface so the old C&C might not be your taste if you're a new to the game.

Bad:
Obviously, Origin.

Overall:
A pack for this much never gets wrong however if you're one of those who tried to avoid using Origin I understand. But for the sake of nostalgia, don't miss getting this one of the best RTS of all time.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2013 6:41 PM PST