Profile for Scoushe > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 149

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Scoushe RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Boon Benders Adaptable Utensils, Pink/Purple, 2-count
Boon Benders Adaptable Utensils, Pink/Purple, 2-count
Price: $4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor for Babies, but Needed by Disabled Seniors, July 27, 2014
The circumference of the heads of this spoon and fork duo is the size of a quarter, making it possible to scoop up a nickel size (or smaller) portion of liquid or solid. For children who have small mouths, that's probably OK, but for a bigger or older child, such a small serving size could be frustrating.

Although the BPA-free claim was a selling point for me, handling these utensils in person and reading the USES and WARNINGS have been a disappointment. While cutting them free from the heavy cardboard and plastic packing, I nicked the back of the spoon with the scissors. The scrape is visible and textured.

Each item bends and twists easily in practically any direction, and the user is instructed not to bend it further than 90 degrees. You're also advised not to microwave the product, which makes me wonder: What's under the plastic? Is it metal, and if so, hopefully it isn't something toxic, such as lead. Secondly, if a kid can use these utensils, he/she might also be capable of bending it. My hands are arthritic, and I didn't have a problem bending them. I surmise that a child who is old enough to feed himself/herself will have a field day amusing him/herself with the items' pliability, and I hope that he/she will never get to the core of what makes these things so flexible.

In addition to DO NOT MICROWAVE, further instructions about care and use include: Wash thoroughly before initial use and after each use. Wash each separately. May be hand washed and it's dishwasher safe. Store in a dry, clean place, away from direct sunlight and heat. Do not leave the product in disinfectant (sterilizing solution) for longer than recommended. NEVER leave child unattended while feeding. ALWAYS use with adult supervision. Do not bend beyond a 90 degree angle in any direction. Check product before each use, and discard it at first sign of damage.

Why I bought the product: I didn't read the individual reviews, which would have been wise because there were a few single star ratings and warnings. I bought it because the average star rating was four, and the items' flexibility appealed to my curiosity. I didn't purchase the set for a child. I bought it because I see the product's market potential for senior citizens and the disabled who have difficulty feeding themselves. For a child, the utensils still deserve a single star. For seniors and the disabled, if this product were larger, but still light and flexible, it could be an asset for them and deserving of more stars.

Playtex Women's 18 Hour Original Soft Cup Bra, White, 32C
Playtex Women's 18 Hour Original Soft Cup Bra, White, 32C
Price: $16.81
16 used & new from $16.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Rockets Up!, July 22, 2014
I wore Bali full figure bras most of my life, but as I aged and lost a lot of weight, I need to find something different. I need something that will comfortably hold large boobs on a skinny body. This bra isn't it, since it inserts my saggy boobs into cups that make them look like two cone hats or rockets that are about to take off at a 45 degree angle. If you've seen a 1950's old movie of astronaut wives with perky breasts under the A line dresses with the tight fitting bodice of the time, you'll understand what I mean. ATTENTION!!!!

UPDATE: I realize that the above review is subjective to my personal situation. So, in all fairness, other than the rocket effect, the bra is well constructed for the following reasons:

Although I see the rocket effect as a negative, it's interesting that the cup is made of a thin gauze type fabric that is meshed onto an outer flowery lace pattern. The two thin layers, combined with the unique cut, give those cups the ability to make even saggy breasts appear firm (but too high for my taste). The curved band under the cups have a width that ranges from 1 1/8 inch to almost 2 inches, but its design enhances the support. That band and the adjoining back band are a combination elastic/lace material. The back band is attached to the C-curved elastic shoulder straps and the three hook and eye closure section. The fact that the shoulder straps join the hook and eye closure by curving into it causes the straps to rest too far out on the shoulders, which I don't like, but overall the bra offers good support and (unlike some bras that have rear strap adjustment) these straps adjust in the front.

Carnival Women's Coolmax Soft Cup Sport Bra, White, 32C
Carnival Women's Coolmax Soft Cup Sport Bra, White, 32C
Price: $32.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Elastic Back, July 22, 2014
I hate bras, but I must wear them and this will do during short, quick trips out of the house, such as going down to the basement to use the community laundry room. As a sports bra, which is how it's advertised, this item doesn't hold up for several reasons. I also wouldn't use it for delayed wear, such as a 9 to 5 work day.

Negatives: The straps are elastic, so if you plan to jog or dance Sumba using this bra, your boobs will be bouncing with you. The strap adjustments land on your back, so if you need to adjust it, you'll have to undress. The strap is composed of four parts: one frontal strap, which is made of a different elastic than the back part. The two sections are joined by a metal "O" ring that has no padding. If that metal ring ends up pressing on a sensitive part of your back or if you're allergic to it, you're out of luck. The fourth part of that strap is the metal adjuster, which, as I mentioned earlier, is on the back. The strap then curves to become part of the bra's back panel and the hook and eye section. That curve threw me for a curve because it encourages the strap to rest on the outer part of your shoulders instead of midway (closer to the neck) where it would offer better support.

Under the thin fabric cups is the band that will circle your ribs. It's a 2 inch wide elastic that is fairly strong, but I've seen better quality elastic on other sports bras and on the waste bands of a boy's pants.

The hook and eye section that will hold the rib band in place has four rows and is very good. In addition to the rib band, that latch section also holds the strap and back part of the bra, which is designed from a very flimsy elastic. It's so cheap, that it stretched out of shape as I tried on the bra.

I'm a thin person, but since I have to wear a bra, I wish that someone would design a comfortable wide strap bra that will distribute the weight of the annoying boobs on my bony shoulders. I wore Sky Bali and other full figure bras most of my life, but as I aged and lost a lot of weight, I've had to change the size and style of the bra. The smaller the bra, the thinner the strap and the band. Thin people are mostly skin on bone and we need the wide strap and bands for weight distribution and padding. Manufacturers, get with the program!

Battat Take-A-Part Roadster
Battat Take-A-Part Roadster
Price: $19.75
29 used & new from $12.97

5.0 out of 5 stars The Girl Mechanic, July 14, 2014
This review is from: Battat Take-A-Part Roadster (Toy)
After hearing that a three year old had entertained herself for a couple of hours with her older friend's gear toys, I thought that this car and it's airplane "cousin" would be right for her. She has been enjoying the toys for several days now. She loves the drill because it makes a sound. Taking the toys apart has been easy for her, but she still needs help reassembling them.

Rubbermaid Commercial FG572024CLR Food Storage Container, Round, Clear Polyethylene, 2-Quart
Price: $2.02
6 used & new from $2.02

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FOR STACKING, July 3, 2014
I've microwaved food in similar Rubbermaid containers for about 8 years. I stew veggies, beans, and soup inside these things and they're easy for me to clean. I needed to replace one of the old bowls that I damaged by letting it sit in bleach for too long. Apparently Rubbermaid no longer makes the one that I spoiled.

What I like about this 2 quart FG572024CLR model:
If you check the website display carefully, you'll see a couple of vertical catches that sit at each end of the respective handles. They act as stops, preventing the bowl from ever getting stuck inside another similar bowl. So, if you like to stack one bowl inside the other, you'll probably never have to struggle to separate them.

The downside is that, unlike my previous bowls, this bowl doesn't come with a lid. The cover is sold separately. I did without it since I seldom use lids. When the bowl goes in the fridge, I prefer to cover it with aluminum or a plate that I can easily slip on and off.

Ableware 738810001 Dressing Stick
Ableware 738810001 Dressing Stick
Price: $10.48
7 used & new from $5.15

3.0 out of 5 stars It’s perfect for those tasks, July 2, 2014
THEY SUBSTITUTED A SIMILAR ITEM THAT I DIDN'T REQUEST. OTHERWISE, I WOULD HAVE GIVEN IT 4 STARS.
I ordered the 73881100 model with the plastic looking handle. Instead, I received this 738810001 model. I describe the differences between the two near the end of this review.

I didn’t buy the Ableware product to serve as a dressing aid, as advertised, although it might serve that purpose with the limitations that I listed below. Because my shoulder likes to freeze up more often than not, I bought it to help me open and close the valves of the kitchen faucet and to reach for items in the fridge. It’s perfect for those tasks.

POSITIVES
Great for pulling and pushing stuff that’s beyond one’s reach.

It will offer some help to push and pull your shoe and sock, but don’t expect it to help you to complete the task. You’ll actually need working fingers for that.

The end that I think is great for pushing and pulling is comprised of two large hooks: one is open ended and the second forms a ¾ loop. The open ended hook’s lip is about one and a half inches, making it perfect for opening my faucet and fairly good for pulling the ½ gallon milk container out of the refrigerator, as long as it’s against a side wall. If the wall isn’t helping to keep the container steady, it’s almost like rowing a boat with only one side oar (it isn’t going to work well). The large adjacent hook loops. The inner most part of that loop can be used to push a ¾” item and the outermost part can push one and five sixteenths inch items.

The smaller hook’s opening is about 7/16”, which is fine for grabbing a wire or similar item that’s about as thick as the cord on a microwave oven. It might help you grab a button or zipper, but, again, don’t expect it to help you to finish the job. The long length (27”) can make such a chore awkward. They sell a smaller tool for that kind of work (it comes with a comfortable plastic handle).

NEGATIVES: Not as displayed or advertised
Instead of the displayed 73881100 model with the plastic looking handle, I received the 738810001 model. It’s an unfinished ½” wooden dowel that feels gritty to the touch. The dowel measures a ¼” shy of the advertised 24”, but with the hooks, this entire pole actually measures an extra 3” and 5/8”. The added length can be both a positive and a negative.

The lack of a good surface finish, including the lack of a varnish, increases this products permeability, making it more difficult to clean and more susceptible to bacteria and fungus (especially when wet).

It’s never happened before, but today, I had trouble slipping into one of my sneakers. I could have used a shoe horn, which is part of the 73881100 model that I ordered and didn't receive. Instead of the advertised shoe horn, mine arrived with the little hook at the end. Not to worry, though, the open ended large hook can probably serve as a shoe horn as long as I don’t also use it in the kitchen to get my milk. That’s neither kosher nor sanitary.

BOTTOM LINE
The substituted model serves my needs well, perhaps better, but I didn't appreciate the unexpected switch and the gritty handle.

Ableware 738811000 Combination Dressing Stick/Shoehorn
Ableware 738811000 Combination Dressing Stick/Shoehorn
Price: $9.99
10 used & new from $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It's perfect for those tasks, July 2, 2014

I didn't buy this AbleWare product to serve as a dressing aid, as advertised, although it might serve that purpose with the limitations that I listed below. Because my shoulder likes to freeze up more often than not, I bought it to help me open and close the valves of the kitchen faucet and to reach for items in the fridge. It's perfect for those tasks.

POSITIVES
Great for pulling and pushing stuff that's beyond one's reach.

It will offer some help to push and pull your shoe and sock, but don't expect it to help you to complete the task. You'll actually need working fingers for that.

The end that I think is great for pushing and pulling is comprised of two large hooks: one is open ended and the second forms a ¾ loop. The open ended hook's lip is about one and a half inches, making it perfect for opening my faucet and fairly good for pulling the ½ gallon milk container out of the refrigerator, as long as it's against a side wall. If the wall isn't helping to keep the container steady, it's almost like rowing a boat with only one side oar (it isn't going to work well). The large adjacent hook loops. The inner most part of that loop can be used to push a ¾" item and the outermost part can push one and five sixteenths inch items.

The smaller hook's opening is about 7/16", which is fine for grabbing a wire or similar item that's about as thick as the cord on a microwave oven. It might help you grab a button or zipper, but, again, don't expect it to help you to finish the job. The long length (27") can make such a chore awkward. They sell a smaller tool for that kind of work (it comes with a comfortable plastic handle).

NEGATIVES: Not as displayed or advertised
Instead of the displayed 73881100 model with the plastic looking handle, I received the 738810001 model. It's an unfinished ½" wooden dowel that feels gritty to the touch. The dowel measures a ¼" shy of the advertised 24", but with the hooks, this entire pole actually measures an extra 3" and 5/8". The added length can be both a positive and a negative.

It's never happened before, but today, I had trouble slipping into one of my sneakers. I could have used a shoe horn. Instead of the advertised shoe horn, however, mine arrived with the little hook at the end. Not to worry, though, the open ended large hook can serve as a shoe horn as long as I don't also use it in the kitchen to get my milk. That's neither kosher nor sanitary.

BOTTOM LINE
The substituted model serves my needs well, perhaps better, but I didn't appreciate the unexpected switch.

Rake: Season 2
Rake: Season 2
DVD ~ Rake
Price: $31.48
24 used & new from $22.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, June 26, 2014
This review is from: Rake: Season 2 (DVD)
As I commented about season I, this Australian series is slightly different, but just as much fun as its American clone. I'm glad to see that myFox is reintroducing the American version after they cancelled it a few months ago. A new episode airs Friday, June 27, 2014 at 9:00pm. In the NYC area, that's channel 5.1.

UPDATE: Contrary to what the local paper listed, the June 27th episode wasn't new. It was the episode that discloses tax attorney's (aka "Harry Freaking Potter's") love interest.

LEGO Star Wars Death Star (10188)
LEGO Star Wars Death Star (10188)
Offered by Out-Of-Print-Collectibles LLC
Price: $534.99
87 used & new from $499.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Appears to be Worth $400, June 26, 2014
I'm writing the review to alert buyers to the hefty $479.99 and $22.91 shipping that Planet Fun Toys is asking through Amazon. There are considerably higher quotes on line, such as Rakuten's $850.99.

My grandnephew (age 7) is salivating over this toy, so I did some research. It's available as a back order item through the Lego Shop for $399 (shipping included). To save $80 to $500, it's worth waiting until Lego has it available to ship again. I'm old enough to remember when Tickle Me Elmo sold for $2,000 while it was in short supply, and the prices dropped to normal after the manufacturer caught up with the demand.

Over the past two or three years, my grandnephew has enjoyed working with numerous Lego toys, and I've concluded that for the 3,803 pieces inside this 10188 model box, which includes several other little toys that need assembling, $400 is probably a fair price for many hours of fun.

One other comment: the Amazon box display suggests that this toy is for Age 12+ while the Lego shop display says 14+. One teenager didn't find it challenging enough, but lots of fun. A man in his thirties said that it took him twelve to fourteen hours to assemble. Keeping a kid engaged for that amount of time must be priceless, so yes it could be worth $400 to the parents' peace of mind. I already placed the pre-order, but we're offering it to teach the child a lesson - he's been instructed to save for the toy. So far, he has twenty bucks; it's a start.

UPDATE: Lego delivered the Death Star on July 22 and 23 2014 for my grandnephew and for a ten year old girl who also enjoys assembling toys. So, it appears that the Lego warehouses are stocking for the holiday season. Perhaps because I placed more than one order, they discounted $30 off each, mailing was free, Lego purchases earn VIP points that can be used toward other Lego orders, and they sent discount tickets for Lego Land. The downside for the kids: the grandparents are holding the toys until their birthday or Christmas. I was informed that each box is huge and weighs 26 lbs.

Moving Comfort Women's Jubralee Bra
Moving Comfort Women's Jubralee Bra
Price: $24.00 - $2,400.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Too tight; Where are the Cups?, June 26, 2014
Moving Comfort Jubralee sports bra; sizes 30-40, B-E: allegedly similar to their Fiona model.

Unfortunately, I didn’t purchase my two Jubralee bras through Amazon. I got them as a final sale from the Swim Outlet.

Positives: An apparent gathering type of fit, to keep the bust firm and to reduce shoulder and back fatigue. Wide shoulder straps could reduce localized pressure on the nerves that run from neck through shoulder and arms, hence reducing funny bone effect and/or pain to lower arms and hands caused by bras that have thinner straps. The wide rib cage band has the hook and eye closures (smaller size bras have three rows of two hook and eye latches, and the larger bras offer the 3X3 combination because that band is wider). Both the shoulder and rib cage straps are adjustable.

Negatives: Although the shoulder straps are adjustable, I found three faults with them: they’re too short, adjustment is in the inside (flushed against your body), and it’s a flimsy looking Velcro. Another problem: there is no discernible pocket to those B and C cups that I purchased. I’m a twig of a person (rib cage under the breast is 26” and with the breast, it’s 29”). So given that a Bali 32C bra fits me loosely, the 30C Jubralee bra should have worked, but it ended up being too tight even with the outermost hook. I was prepared for the possible short rib cage band, since I had purchased a hook and eye extender. The extender, however, presented another problem because I thought that the picture display for the bra was of the 3X3 combo (perhaps for the larger bras). My small bra required an extender that would fit the 2X3 set. One reviewer complained that unlike the Maia, the Jubralee causes a uni-boob. Extenders can add to this problem by compromising a bra’s symmetry. It’s bad enough that the cups are nearly non-existent on the Jubralee. Anyway, I ended up with crushed boobs and a choked rib cage.

I’m glad that manufacturers are finally designing ADJUSTABLE sports bras with wider straps and bands, hence reducing the pressure to a given body part. And I don’t understand why most regular bras still follow old fashioned engineering. Besides, no one needs to sport a sexy thin strap bra under a crew neck t-shirt, school uniform, or work suit that we’ll be wearing throughout most of the active day. We can leave the Victoria’s Secret revelations for the few minutes that they need to be there. A well designed sports bra at the beach is also welcome. However, I want that adjustable shoulder strap to be easily accessible on the outside of the bra. Such a feature would be great at the end of one’s workout or day, making it easy to release the constraining bra and let it all hang out as we step into the shower or munch on a snack in front of the TV. And, let’s be real: I wasn’t happy with the tight bra, so I can imagine how it must be for a normal or full figured shaped woman. There are too many bras out there that are uncomfortable. I wonder if those torture devices are designed by men or masochistic women who don’t know any better. The hook and eye, adjustable strap sports bra is a step in the right direction, but it still needs a few tweaks.

The Panache sports bra has received good reviews, but I haven’t tried it and I think it’s too pricey. I hope to soon test the less expensive Carnival sports bra. If the cups and the Velcro straps on the Jubralee weren’t designed as is, I would give it another try, but for now, I’ll say “No, thanks.”

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15