Profile for Phoenicia > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Phoenicia RSS Feed (Amsterdam, the Netherlands)

Page: 1 | 2
Wild and Wonderful Fleece Animals: With Full-Size Patterns for 20 Cuddly Critters
by Linda Carr
Edition: Hardcover-spiral
34 used & new from $1.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book with good patterns, July 7, 2011
The patterns are included separately, in a large envelope. All of the patterns are real size and printed on tracing paper, so you can use them straight from the book, if you want. I will definitely keep the original patterns intact and trace them again to cut out and use.

The book is spiral bound, and easy to use.

I love the realistic shapes and proportions of the animal heads especially. I bought this book because I wanted to adapt a kitten doll, of which I did not like the head, but had a hard time finding the exact shape I wanted.

This book is a great help, I now only have to make small changes to achieve the effect I was looking for.

I really liked all the animals in the book, not one of them disappointed me.

There is good general advice on sewing and stuffing, but you need to have basic sewing skills.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2012 5:03 AM PST

Fa la la la Felt: 45 Handmade Holiday Decorations
Fa la la la Felt: 45 Handmade Holiday Decorations
by Kathy Sheldon
Price: $9.32
109 used & new from $1.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly lovely book!, July 7, 2011
All the templates are there (even the tiny decorative items), to be enlarged by 200 or 400% for most projects. The book will lie flat, so you will not have to take pages out.

Nice colour schemes throughout the book and simple - but not too simple - projects with really original ideas. If you like the cone shaped Christmas trees on the cover, the book will not disappoint you.

Good, practical advice on the basic techniques used, like the embroidery stitches.

Of course I wouldn't make everything in the book, some projects are just not my taste, but there is enough to make the book worth buying, and I will definitely use some decorating suggestions for other projects.

My favorites are the Christmas tree baubles, with their decoration of small glass beads and embroidery. They are at least as beautiful as glass baubles, and they will not break!

Totally Tangled: Zentangle and Beyond
Totally Tangled: Zentangle and Beyond
by Sandy Steen Bartholomew
Price: $9.85
92 used & new from $8.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book!, October 12, 2010
I am the very happy owner of both this book and the 'Zentangle' series (which I all reviewed at the Zentangle Basics book).

This book is a bit more 'sophisticated' than the Zentangle series. The patterns are more complex, the drawings more artistic. If 'basic' books on drawing techniques are generally a bit too basic for you, I would recommend this book over the Zentangle series.

If you are insecure about your drawing skills, or are easily overwhelmed by a book filled to the brim with ideas and possibilies, I would recommend Zentangle Basics or Zentangle 2, in stead of, or together with, this book.

This book does give you the basics, but does not dwell on it too much. It quickly goes onto the next step: more complex patterns and designs and what you can do with all of these lovely patterns - and you can do A LOT with them.

Have fun!

Zentangle 3: with Rubber Stamps
Zentangle 3: with Rubber Stamps
Price: $8.09
81 used & new from $2.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely series!, October 12, 2010
I bought all three of the Zentangle books, love them all, and reviewed all of them together in my review of Zentangle Basics.

They do not overlap, though vols. 2 and 3 give you a short 'recap' on the basic technique, so that you do not have to buy all three if you do not want to.

If you want to read more, please look at my review of Zentangle Basics.

Zentangle 2: Scrapbooks, Sketchbooks, Journals, AJCs, Cards, Words, Borders
Zentangle 2: Scrapbooks, Sketchbooks, Journals, AJCs, Cards, Words, Borders
16 used & new from $7.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely series!, October 12, 2010

If you want to read more, please look at my review of Zentangle Basics.

Zentangle Basics #3450
Zentangle Basics #3450
7 used & new from $49.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice series, October 12, 2010
This review is from: Zentangle Basics #3450 (Paperback)
Because I could not choose, I bought all three of the Zentangle books by Suzanne McNeill. And Totally Tangled by Sandy Steen Bartholomew (see my review there) as well..

I like them all.

As other reviewers already stated, each of the Zentangle series books can be used on its own. But if you would like to begin at the beginning, the basics book is best.

I do not agree with the reviewer who said that Zentangle 2 is almost a repetition of Zentangle Basics. This is simply not true. The very basics of Zentangling are summarised in Z2, but this is a kind gesture for those who do not own both books.

Z1 gives you 24 designs - plus simple variations, such as reversing black and white, which gives the pattern a completely different look -, Z2 repeats four of them, and adds 25 more - also with variations -, as it promises. So, if you buy them both, you will have 49 different patterns.

Some reviewers complain that the books contain so few pages. True. But the techniques are so simple that I feel that adding extra pages would only fill out the book, without adding substance. There is no waste of space in these books, so I feel that you do get value for money: lots and lots of patterns to try out for yourself, and to experiment further with.

If you really do not want to buy all three of them, it does not matter very much which book you choose, as the basic steps are repeated shortly in vols 2 and 3.

If I really had to pick one favourite, perhaps I would choose vol. 3. This book focuses a tiny bit more on how to incorporate the patterns into your own drawings, with a whole page of spectacularly zentangled flowers. Really mouthwatering for anyone who loves doodling. Books 1 and 2 are slightly more basic, but the difference is small.

If you are a greedy person, like me, and seeing 20 patterns just makes you want to see MORE, then do buy all three of them.

Good luck! I hope my review will help you pick and choose!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2011 3:53 AM PDT

Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs: 144 circles, hexagons, triangles, squares, and other unexpected shapes
by Edie Eckman
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: $12.49
111 used & new from $10.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Motifs like snow crystals...., November 8, 2009
If you like the cover of this book, you will certainly like its contents!

Lovely fresh colours, and LOTS AND LOTS of beautiful shapes and patterns.

The book starts off with a short course in how to crochet, very well explained with clear photographs in close up.

Each section of the book covers one shape (e.g. circles) and for each shape she uses different combinations of four colours (three shades of green and orange for circles; purple, pink, lilac and green for hexagons, etc.). this gives the book a balanced look, you won't be overwhelmed by all the different colours, and it will also give you an idea how different motifs of the same basic shape will work in different colours (all the individual motifs are really different, she doesn't just change the colours to create a 'new' pattern!)

I really loved the lay out of the book:
There is one motif per page. Each page has a photograph, a diagram (a pattern description in symbols only), a pattern description in text only - very good, so you can switch between visual pattern and text, and they therefore complement each other nicely - and a paragraph or two against a coloured background with some handy advice.

I crocheted a lot when I was in my teens (and yes, mainly squares and circles), and then I sort of stopped and moved on to other things. Had I owned this book then, I probably never would have stopped (be warned!).

Because it is such a long time since I held a crochet hook, it takes some time for me to work out her patterns (just reading at the moment), but her instructions are very clear and she makes good use of diagrams and photographs. I am confident that I will be able to solve any crocheting problems with just this book, and I own her other book too (the crochet answer book), which I also really like very much.

Yes, of course the book would be even lovelier if it also had photographs of finished projects - as some reviewers suggest - , but with the thoroughness of this author the book would then probably be too heavy to handle. Because the possibilities are literally endless. And personally, I am very glad she chose to limit herself to describing different motifs, as I would not have wanted to miss any of them.

If you really want to find out how to combine her shapes without actually making them first, you can ofcourse use a photocpier, or buy two extra copies of the book (one for each side of the page), cut them up, fill a printing page with your chosen shapes, and start copying then.

Have fun! I certainly will...

The Way We Wore 1969: A Vintage Fashion Paper Doll
The Way We Wore 1969: A Vintage Fashion Paper Doll
by Kim Brecklein
Price: $13.82
25 used & new from $12.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Another lovely Kim Brecklein book, September 22, 2009
If you like her 'Kitty Dale 1959' vintage fashion paper doll (see my review there), you will love this one too.

The author uses coloured pencils to create the doll and costumes, so compared to other paper doll books, the colours do look a bit pale, but her drawings are really beautiful and detailed, and to me the coloured pencil gives it a slightly old fashioned, nostalgic look, which suits the book very well.

Unfortunately, again, like in her Kitty Dale book, the paper used for the costumes is of a rather thin quality (feels like 100 grs copying paper), and advertisements for her other books are printed on the back of the pages, so these will shine through a bit.

The cut out dolls themselves (there are two) are printed on the back cover, so they are of better quality - though still a bit floppy.

My advice would be to glue the costumes and the dolls themselves onto a support paper (Tyvek, the material used for non-tear envelopes (or do you call them tear-free?), would be a good choice). Please don't forget to let them dry under a weight, so the paper won't curl!

All in all a lovely book for those of us who grew up with paper dolls, and those of us who like late 60s clothes and fashion.

Kitty Dale 1959: A Collectible Vintage Fashion Paper Doll
Kitty Dale 1959: A Collectible Vintage Fashion Paper Doll
by Kim Brecklein
Price: $11.62
27 used & new from $9.76

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book!, September 22, 2009
It is true, compared to some other paper doll books, the colors are slightly pale, but this is not a printing error: the author used coloured pencils to create her doll and costumes, as she did in her other books.

The clothes are beautifully represented. If you love clothes from the late fifties/early sixties, you will definitely love this book.

I gave the book four stars, though, because the paper the costumes are printed on is rather thin for a cut out book (it feels like 100grs copying paper - for all you non-European readers: 80grs is the weight of standard copying paper), AND advertisements for het other books are printed on the reverse side of the pages, so they will shine through a bit, which IS really annoying.

The doll itself and her most glamorous costumes are printed on the front and back cover, so they are of better quality.

All in all, I am happy with the book, but it could have been better.

Authentic Shirley Temple Paper Dolls and Dresses (Dover Celebrity Paper Dolls)
Authentic Shirley Temple Paper Dolls and Dresses (Dover Celebrity Paper Dolls)
by Marta K. Krebs
Price: $4.45
75 used & new from $0.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely nostalgia..., September 22, 2009
If you grew up with paper dolls, like I did, you will love this one. The doll and the clothes are printed on high quality thick, glossy paper, and a cut out stand is included in the book.

You do not have to be a fan of Shirley Temple to love this book - I am not, but I do love these old fashioned children's clothes, with their ribbons and ruffles and pleats.

Great book for those interested in the history of fashion too!

Page: 1 | 2