Profile for Joan E. Pennisi > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joan E. Pennisi "enlighten" RSS Feed (Rio Rico, AZ USA)

Pretty Woman Spitting: An American's Travels in China
Pretty Woman Spitting: An American's Travels in China
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting & informative, April 11, 2013
I found this true story most interesting as it outlines how the Chinese live, study and work....their habits, etc. It brought home to me the friendliness and acceptance of American teachers working with the Chinese in a small, rural school.

The Good Earth
The Good Earth
DVD ~ Paul Muni
Price: $7.99
52 used & new from $5.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Film, March 7, 2013
This review is from: The Good Earth (DVD)
The Good Earth was filmed the year I was born. I have an interest in China as a relative of mine was born there many years ago. The film was a love story, but it showed how poorly women were treated at that time; and it depicted how hard the farmers (both male and female) had to work to feed themselves and their families. The scene with the blight of the locusts was spectacular! The film shocked me when I saw that famine struck these people so deeply that the mother was almost forced to sell her baby daughter to get enough money to buy food. This film is a good history and a reminder to us all how good the earth is to us.

Taken
Taken
DVD
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Film !, February 22, 2013
This review is from: Taken (Amazon Instant Video)
Fast-moving film with excellent acting by Liam Neeson; about a REAL problem in this world of mistreating young women by kidnapping them, drugging them and making them sex slaves. Shocking!

Little Girl Blue: The Life of Karen Carpenter
Little Girl Blue: The Life of Karen Carpenter
by Randy Schmidt
Price: $13.69
55 used & new from $8.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving Story of Karen Carpenter's Life, February 3, 2013
As a member of Karen's family, I was interested to see what Mr. Schmidt wrote. A lot of it was very true; however, I feel that at the time of Karen's illness with anorexia, not much was known about this terrible affliction. The author attributes a lot of blame to Karen's mom (which hurt me as a family member) as I knew Agnes Carpenter as a loving mother -- albeit a "stage mother" and all I can remember of Agnes (who took me under her wing when I was 18 mos. old) was a loving, hard-working mother who never complained and was always there for her family. What happened to Karen saddened me greatly (as it did her brother, Richard). I wish that the author of the book had interviewed ME, as I would have contributed a much gentler rendition of Agnes Carpenter for the world to read about.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2014 7:05 PM PDT

Boardwalk Empire: Season 2
Boardwalk Empire: Season 2
DVD ~ Steve Buscemi
Price: $17.99
26 used & new from $13.49

5.0 out of 5 stars enlighten, September 12, 2012
This review is from: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 (DVD)
Boardwalk Empire was most interesting and engaging. It taught me a lot about the Depression Era and the Prohibition Era and the Women's Right to Vote! Music was fantastic and played many songs and dancing I remembered from the 1930's.

Outsourced
Outsourced
DVD ~ Ayesha Dharker
20 used & new from $4.22

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and humorous, September 12, 2012
This review is from: Outsourced (DVD)
This was an interesting film and taught me a lot about the Indian people and their culture and had wonderful humour as well.

The Amateur
The Amateur

5.0 out of 5 stars amateur45, August 6, 2012
This review is from: The Amateur (Kindle Edition)
The Amateur was an excellent book -- extremely enlightening about where Obama came from and what shaped his views; and also the terrible choices he has made with the people who surround him in his presidency. I fear for our country (USA) if he gets re-elected. The book, I feel, did an excellent job of quoting various important people both on his side and on the "outside" of his realm.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2012 11:58 AM PDT

Escape from Camp 14: One Man's Remarkable Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom inthe West
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Escape from Camp 14 (Kindle), May 8, 2012
This true story of a North Korean young man was sad and riveting. The book brought the reality of life in No.Korean labor camps front and center and made me feel so sad for those people trapped in that horrible regime. It also makes me appreciate being born in America and that I am free to enjoy and prosper in the life that America affords us all!