Profile for M. Barrera > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Barrera RSS Feed (West Palm Beach, FL USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Happenstance (A Second Chance Book 1)
Happenstance (A Second Chance Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Debut, February 8, 2013
I'll come right out and say that as a seasoned and pretty critical reader - debut novels are not usually my thing. However, having said that, I really enjoyed this story. The characters are fun and well developed. It was a lighthearted read with some surprisingly serious turns. Victoria will make you want to strangle her the way you would want to strangle a friend you know is making messed up decisions but you love her anyway. Jared is the perfect second chance, gift wrapped and handed to her that I wanted to steal for myself a few times. I recommend this novel to those of you who love reading about love, like to laugh, and dream of having a closet just for shoes one day.

Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish
Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish
by Mark R. Levin
Price: $9.10
227 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Touching Story - and NOT political., December 1, 2009
I have never read any of Mark Levin's other books. I don't listen to his radio show. While at the store, I picked up this book due to its cover and title and was reading the back when my husband walked up and saw me doing so and got excited. He is a Mark Levin fan. He has read Liberty and Tyranny (I think thats what its called) and listens to him on the radio every other day. All of this bumped up my interest but also made me apprehensive - was I going to be sucked into a book about a dog with political undertones? I am not into political reads. I am barely into non-fiction reads. I bought it anyway and decided to give it a try.

It took me 24 hours to read this book and I can now report that not only was it not even slightly policital - it was a sweet and touching story about a man, a man's family, and their dogs. As a dog and animal lover myself I could relate to so many moments in this book. I found myself laughing out loud and tearing up quite a bit. I have nursed several sick pets in my lifetime, I have lost beloved pets of all kinds, and I have had to euthanize one when I was in my mid-twenties. Not only did I relive all of those happy moments with those pets while reading this book - I felt like I obtained a closure I never knew I had not received at the time.

If you are an animal lover, this book is a fun and simple read that will touch your heart. I am currently the owner of two cats - and Rescuing Sprite made me look forward to adopting/rescuing a dog brother or sister for them one day from an animal shelter.

Drop Dead Gorgeous: A Novel (Blair Mallory)
Drop Dead Gorgeous: A Novel (Blair Mallory)
by Linda Howard
Price: $7.19
353 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Just AWFUL., February 13, 2007
I am usually a big Howard fan. Her books usually grip me from the beginning and do not let go until the end. To Die For was an OK book - not one of my favorites but you get your hits and your misses. But to take two mediocre characters and write a sequel about them just made no sense to me. Especially this first person account who made a halfway likeable character less so. She should have left the hero and heroine in To Die For and not bothered with another book about them. The book was boring, had me rolling my eyes, and was just a down right waste of $7 bucks for me.

Someone to Watch Over Me : A Novel
Someone to Watch Over Me : A Novel
by Judith McNaught
417 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait..., March 6, 2003
I completely disagree the reviewers who disliked this book, and I am ususally quite hard on my authors. I will admit that I was apprehensive about buying this book because (a)I had to wait so long for it and was afraid it would disappoint me. (b) I was afraid of another NIGHT WHISPERS, which did not live up to my opinion of this author's past efforts at all. However, I LOVED Someone to Watch Over Me. It was romantic, msyterious, dramatic...everything I love in a JM. It was a romantic suspense in the truest sense because the romance and love stories came first. The main characters were wonderful and the secondary characters were a joy to read. I dialogue had me sighing and laughing out loud. And the mystery was just that, a guesser. A regular who-dunnit. I loved it...and I suggest you try it for yourself if you are a JM, or new to JM, because it seems all thesde reviews are a very mixed bag. I am very sad that the other reviewers gave up who the hero was, because that in itself was not given away and should not have. It was, and should be, a complete surprise.

The Bartered Bride
The Bartered Bride
by Mary Jo Putney
81 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A little dry, but still good., July 28, 2002
This review is from: The Bartered Bride (Hardcover)
I agree with other reviewers who discussed the lack of written emotion in this novel. In fact, I considered it as I read it and noticed that as the novel progresses, so to the characters and the emotions. Alexandra Warren first meets Gavin Elliot while she is a slave in the East. She was captured by pirates, seperated from her daughter, and sold into slavery. Gavin Elliot lost is wife and child and has spent his life on the sea making a name for himself in the shipping industry and meets Alex just when he is about to make some very large changes in his life. From the moment they meet their lives are changed forever and they are thrust into an adventure more rich than any I have read about before. From freeing Alex from slavery to arriving in England there is never a dull moment.
However, from the beginning of this book it is obvious that both will have to overcome tremendous obstacles, emotionally and physically in order to make their relationship work. Due to their circumstances they are required to do things in a more backward fashion than one is used to reading about. Therefore, the book progresses slower and more delicately...but no less enjoyable. All in all, THE BARTERED BRIDE is a novel filled with adventure, history, and a lesson in the gift of learning to love and trust, even when you did not think it possible. No couple deserved a "Happily Ever After" more than Alexandra and Gavin.

Dying to Please
Dying to Please
by Linda Howard
287 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars WooHoo! She's back!, July 28, 2002
This review is from: Dying to Please (Hardcover)
Okay, honestly, after reading OPEN SEASON and not enjoying it I wondered if I would ever pick up another Linda Howard hardcover. But I did. The summary on the inside cover of DYING TO PLEASE that is supposed to entice one to read the book did nothing but confuse me and turn me off. But, alas, a huge fan of Linda Howard, I decided to ignore that, too, and just read the book. I am so glad I did because SHE IS BACK.
The hero in this novel is a cop once again, sexy yes, but in the past where the hero dominated all the reader's attention, this time the heroine steals the show. Sarah Stevens does it so effortlessly that we do not realize how much we are rooting for her until until almost the end of the book. The woman kicks her way through the book with her wit, charm, and sexiness. Her relationship with the cop, Cahill, was great follow. The sex scenes were torch-hot. The attraction and emotions were intense and believable. And the suspense was intruiging without stealing the oomph out of the romance.
In my opinion, DYING TO PLEASE was well set up, well written, and an excellent read. Howard's characters were rich and colorful and human. And the suspense will make you tighten your hands on the cover more than a few times. SHE IS BACK.

Beyond Eden
Beyond Eden
by Catherine Coulter
Price: $7.98
410 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, July 23, 2002
For some reason I have avoided Ms Coulter's earlier contemporaries. I am pretty sure it has something to do with my not being a fan of her earlier historicals, but I am an avid fan of her newer FBI series. However, BEYOND EDEN surprised me by being classic Coulter. A very entertaining, poignant, and humorous read. There is a very graphic rape scene, but it sets up the book and is quite necessary for the plot. You heal along with the heroine as she finds a life where she finally fits in and someone who wants her just as she is. Taylor, the hero, is just that. A perfect foil for Lyndsay and a prime example of one of Coulter's better heroes.
The mystery is a very good one that kept me guessing the whole time. A regular whodunnit. I highly recommend this book to Coulter fans, old and new. It will not disappoint.

Lord of Fire
Lord of Fire
by Gaelen Foley
Price: $7.99
172 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Plus five more Stars! This book is an easy ten!, July 18, 2002
Can Gaelen Foley do no wrong? I read this book in one sitting. An all night one. LORD OF FIRE was so fast-paced and action packed that I could barely find a place to stop for the night...so I just didn't. The book is a balancing act of romance, angst, mystery, steamy sex, and doing the right thing. Ms. Foley balances them like a pro without losing her innate and colorful writing style. Her books always have some underlying topic of importance and are never an empty bubble of simpering heroines and jealous heroes. Oh no, LORD OF FIRE, introduces us to a heroine who may seem like a bit of a doormat at first. But lets beware of first impressions, Lady Alice has thorns that are a perfect foil for Lucien and his devilish ways. Rather than becoming a story of opposites attracting, LORD OF FIRE is a waltz between doing the right thing and doing what you want. The two end up balancing perfect...with Gaelen sweeping the reader into a fantastic romance, startling mystery, and action packed adventure.
This is how a romance should be. In a time when so many of the great historical romance writers have turned to following mainstream and publishing contemporaries, I am so glad to have stumbled up on Gaelen Foley. I loved her Ascension series and THE DUKE and now LORD OF FIRE only prove how a talent can expand and blossom.

I Think I Love You
I Think I Love You
by Stephanie Bond
87 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Stir in a cup of giggles and a touch of romance..., July 18, 2002
This is my second book by Stephanie Bond, my first being her previous GOT YOUR NUMBER, and I will continue to pick her up. She has a way of throwing the reader into a rough situation and, while still taking that situation seriously, showing the reader the comedic side.
I THINK I LOVE YOU is a story about a very self-destructive family going through one jam after another. The center being the three sisters. We see the majority of this story through Regina, the "middle child" going through the textbook (and Bond style) issues. Toss in a couple murders, a sexy appraiser, and a crotch sniffing dog and you've got yourself a hit. The only thing this reader would have enjoyed more was some added tidbits into the romances of the oldest and youngest sisters. However, I was far from disappointed. I THINK I LOVE YOU was an fast-paced read with some shocking twists, cringe worthy pranks, hair pulling brawls, and just a dab of romance. If the romance was a little lacking it was more than made up for with belly laughs. I am definitely keeping an eye on Stephanie Bond.

Over the Edge (Troubleshooters, Book 3)
Over the Edge (Troubleshooters, Book 3)
by Suzanne Brockmann
Price: $7.99
247 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wonderful..., July 16, 2002
Suzanne Brockmann has fast become one of my favorite authors. With this newest installment of her newest Navy Seal Series, Brockmann shows us that we haven't seen nothing yet. Over the Edge, was a fast-paced, intense page turner. The romance between Stan and Terri was great and Brockmann tastefully blended it with the suspense and action that I have come to love. We get to see yet another installment of Sam and Alyssa...one that hints of MUCH more to come. Great book, great series, great author.

Page: 1 | 2