Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Chad Valley All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Halloween
Profile for Chicago Book Addict > Reviews

Chicago Book Add...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 1283
Top Reviewer Ranking: 692

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chicago Book Addict RSS Feed (Chicago, IL)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Five Star Advance Spiral Notebook-Standard Size, 5 Subject, College Ruled, 8.5 x 11 Inch Sheet Size, Green (73148)
Price: $18.95
4 used & new from $15.95

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality and plastic pockets dividing each section are a nice touch, July 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love Five Star notebooks! In middle school, high school and then college they were my go to notebook because they were durable enough to last an entire semester or year if necessary, the paper was high quality, and the spiral coil always seemed to stay intact. They only thing worth noting is that even though they are advertised as five subject notebooks since they are divided into five sections, when I was in high school and college I often needed more than one subject/section per class. (Though you may be able to stretch it into 5 subjects if you are a less prolific note taker than I was.) Even today I love them and it is clear the quality is still consistent with what I remember from my school days.

These days since I am now a working professional instead of a student I am most likely to use the Five Star personal wirebound notebooks like Mead Five Star Personal Spiral Notebook, 7" x 4 3/8", 100 Sheets, College Rule, Assorted colors (MEA45484) or Five Star Advance Wirebound Notebook, 2-Subject, 100 College-Ruled Sheets, 9.5 x 6 Inch Sheet Size, Black (72831) since the smaller format works better for my needs. But trying this larger notebook I remembered why I always loved them. It feels durable and the plastic pockets are a nice touch. If you have classes with a lot of handouts I don't think the pockets are deep enough to hold them all, but they are nice when you have a few key papers you want to keep with you without also having to carry a folder. The green color isn't my favorite as Five Star has some more vibrant, bright colors available in other notebooks, but I thought in person it was true to the color represented on my screen/

I also love that they have what sounds to be a very generous quality guarantee. I can't see myself ever needing to take advantage of it because every Five Star notebook I've ever owned has outlasted whatever I was studying, but I do think it speaks very highly of the company and their eagerness to stand behind their quality.

Overall, I think they are a great choice for a student, but also perfect for a working professional like myself as long as you don't mind the larger size.

Overwhelmed: How to Work, Love, and Play When No One Has the Time
Overwhelmed: How to Work, Love, and Play When No One Has the Time
by Brigid Schulte
Price: $10.97
72 used & new from $6.97

2.0 out of 5 stars Much more focused on mothers (and especially working mothers) than the marketing led me to believe, July 13, 2015
This book is the result of Brigid Shulte's search for answers to better understand her personal experience being overwhelmed balancing all the responsibilities that come with being a working mother. She sets out to understand why it is we're so overwhelmed and what we might be able to do about it. This book immediately appealed to me because I identified 100% with the title. I definitely feel overwhelmed by my life on a regular basis and was looking for insight into why this is happening and how I can deal with it.

Unfortunately, reading this book made it clear I wasn't really the target audience at all. It seems to be very focused on mothers and in particular, working mothers. There are parts of the book the touch on dads, stay-at-home moms, and very occasionally, Millennials, but for the most part as a 30-something single women without children, I found the bulk of the book hard to relate to. There are parts of the book like the chapters on play and the topic of the curse of busyness that have more universal wisdom, but a lot of it seemed very specific to the challenges of balancing having a family with one's professional life. It's a shame because I do think, as she alludes to in the book, that feeling overwhelmed is something that extends beyond parents.

Once I realized this book wasn't really for me I tried to read it from the perspective of understanding how men and women's experiences are different and similar as it pertains to balancing work and family life, but still I struggled to enjoy this. I also found that if you've read similar books in the genre (for me All the Joy an No Fun and Why Have Kids? come to mind) Overlwhelmed doesn't feel like it is adding much new and unique insight to the conversation. I think this book is most illuminating if you haven't read anything else on the subject. If you have, it's less novel and interesting. The sections on work and love seemed to bleed together and the anecdotes and points made started to feel repetitive after awhile. I almost quit reading it because it started to feel like I was slogging through it rather than reading for enjoyment or enlightenment. It's a shame too because I found the chapters on play to be the most interest and applicable to my life and I almost missed them.

In short, I think this is the kind of book that can be helpful and illuminating to the right audience. If you're a mother and haven't read much on this topic you may really enjoy this book. However, this book just wasn't written in such a way to be universal enough for me, a single, child free women to find much value.

Crest Pro-Health HD Daily Two-Step Toothpaste System 4.0oz and 2.3oz Tubes
Crest Pro-Health HD Daily Two-Step Toothpaste System 4.0oz and 2.3oz Tubes
Price: $11.99
29 used & new from $6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars So fresh and so clean., July 13, 2015
I've always been a loyal Aquafresh user, but when BuzzAgent gave me the change to try this out as part of a promotional campaign, I was curious. What makes this product unique, as the name says, is that it is a two-step process designed to get teeth both cleaner (by stripping away plaque) and whiter (by polishing teeth). So far based on my experience it does seem to, in fact, do both (although I have yet to have a dental cleaning so whether my dentist says anything will be the true test for me). At first I will admit I wasn't crazy about the two step process since I really, really don't enjoy brushing my teeth. At first it did take some time to get used to, but after a couple of weeks it felt like second nature. For me the reason to keep doing it was how my teeth look and feel. I do agree with previous reviewers that I'm not sure this whitens dramatically better than other whitening toothpastes. I've found that if I want really, really white teeth nothing beats the system I got from my dentist (mouthpiece + whitening solution). However, I still like to use a whitening toothpaste for maintenance when I'm not actively whitening my teeth with the dentist's system and this is perfect for that. What I've enjoyed the most is how clean my teeth feel. It's hard to describe, but when I run tongue over them they feel really smooth and clean, almost like when I've just had them cleaned at the dentist. I also haven't found the taste of these products to be off-putting, which is a big plus.

So far I've really liked these. As mentioned the true test will come when I have my next appointment but for now I'm pleased.

Outlast Completely Clean Clear Gel Women's Antiperspirant & Deodorant 2.6 oz Twin Pack
Price: $7.47
9 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps me fresh even when I'm active, July 13, 2015
I got a free sample from BuzzAgent to try out this deodorant. I was curious to try it since I've been a loyal user of Secret deodorant for years and have always had great experiences with their products, but hadn't tried this particular product. The premise behind the Outlast deodorant is that you get 48 hours of protection. I will be honest and say that unless I forget, I can't imagine not applying deodorant every morning so my experiences are based on how long it lasts in a 24 hour period. That said, I've been impressed. I try to live an active lifestyle, walking to work, taking bar classes, and using the stairs at work whenever possible. Because of that my day can get a little sweaty, but I thought this deodorant was a perfect defense against odor and wetness. I felt pretty dry all day long and didn't notice any odor to speak of. I also haven't noticed any problems with underarm staining in either my workout or regular clothes. Nor have I had any problem with skin irritation, which is a plus for me since I have sensitive skin and don't always have a good reaction to all products. I also thought the scent was nice, neutral and not overpowering. If you prefer a more fun, specialty scent this will probably be boring to you, but I found it perfectly acceptable.

Overall, I really liked this deodorant. It lived up to the great experiences I've always had with secret and kept me fresh even while being active.

Hefty Easy Grip Cups, Red, 9 Ounce
Hefty Easy Grip Cups, Red, 9 Ounce
Price: $3.10

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to hold, but feel a little flimsy, July 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I picked these curious about how I would actually review them since having used red plastic cups as a party and BBQ staple since college I figured they were all pretty much the same. Turns out I was wrong. For starters, these are a bit smaller than what I think of as the typical red plastic cup. The ones we typically use are 16-18 ounces vs. these which are 9 ounces. The smaller size makes them a more appropriate choice for families and situations where you're pouring less of a beverage at a time (i.e. wine or cocktails) but are a tad small for beer and hard cider. They feel noticeably small for using for beer or hard cider so I would definitely opt for a larger cup for those purposes. I do like that true to their name, they are easy to grip. But I wish they were made from a thicker plastic because they seem to have more give to them than I'm used to and I'm worried with a full glass it could lead to spilling. The thin plastic also honestly makes them feel a little cheap and more what I would expect from a generic or store brand.

Overall, I think these are good plastic cups for the right circumstances. When you want a smaller cup that's easy to hold and you don't need something that feels substantial, these are good. However, if you're having a BBQ or party where people are going to be drinking beer or hard cider and might be prone to squeezing a their cup a little too hard and spilling, I'd go for a larger, more substantial-feeling cup.

The Sunlit Night
The Sunlit Night
by Dinerstein Rebecca
Price: $18.52
92 used & new from $4.68

3.0 out of 5 stars Personally struggled to connect with this, July 12, 2015
This review is from: The Sunlit Night (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I picked up this novel based on the effusive praise it received from other readers. Reading through it I can see why others loved it, but personally it wasn't the book for me. I struggled to connect with the characters and I'm not sure whether it was the pacing or the story development or the writing, but I had a hard time staying engaged with the book.

Banggood 50pcs false nail art Tips stick Display fan board
Banggood 50pcs false nail art Tips stick Display fan board
Offered by HoopChina US
Price: $2.69
22 used & new from $2.69

4.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, July 6, 2015
As other reviewers have said, if you order these you have to be okay with them being a close enough approximation of the picture vs. exact. I ordered two packs and both came with rods rather than rings and the tips weren't quite as rounded as some of the pictures show, but do look closer to a natural nail shape than some of the swatch sticks I've seen. Quality wise, I thought these felt solid and not too flimsy, but some arrived cracked or scratched. If I had bought them from Amazon rather than a 3rd party supplier or a beauty store this was the kind of thing I might have complained about, but given this is a 3rd party supplier and given the fact that the cost of these are pretty low compared to what I have seen elsewhere, I expected it. I painted mine on the backside of the nail and labeled them with my Epson label maker and thought the result was great. Good representation of the color and the labels stuck perfectly. They also laid nicely flat against each other when put on the rod. I also think I got very lucky in that both of my sets seemed to be the same size, but it sounds like your results may vary. I would definitely buy these again because even with the broken swatch sticks I think they were worth the price, but I do recommend buying more than you need.

Aura Outdoor Products AOP-EAP Ash Pan for Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe
Aura Outdoor Products AOP-EAP Ash Pan for Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe
Offered by Eggcellent Products
Price: $24.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not perfect, July 6, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having had my large Big Green Egg a little over two years the one thing you realize quickly is that there are a few accessories you need to make good use of the grill. This was one of those accessories I held out on getting. I'd use the ash tool to push the ashes directly into a garbage bag. It was a little messy, but it worked. I was excited to try this out to avoid having so much ash spill onto the deck. It feels very substantial in your hand, though I don't love the construction of the handle. There is a seam on the back which digs into your hand a bit. Thankfully, removing the ash isn't a terribly long job but I would have much preferred a smooth, cushioned handle like you see on OXO products. The biggest bummer about this ash pan is that it is close to fitting the bottom vent perfectly, but not quite. As a result, I found it really, really hard to remove the ash without getting some on the ground. It's still definitely cleaner than sweeping the ashes directly into a garbage bag, but not perfect. Also, I found that the ash tool tended to scratch up the finish somewhat. Aesthetically speaking I don't care, but am hoping it won't lead to the scratches rusting since my indoor space is at a premium so I'm likely to keep this outside, hanging from one of the hooks on the big green egg.

Overall I think this is a good but not great product. For me the handle design and the fact it doesn't fit the vent on my large Big Green Egg better are what are keeping this from being 5 stars.

UP3 by Jawbone Heart Rate, Activity + Sleep Tracker, Black Twist
UP3 by Jawbone Heart Rate, Activity + Sleep Tracker, Black Twist
Price: $149.99
35 used & new from $103.36

3.0 out of 5 stars Torn on how I feel about this, July 6, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this after already owning a Fitbit Flex since February so I was curious to see how the two would compare. Overall, I've found there are some features and aspects of the UP3 I prefer to the Fitbit Flex and some things I prefer about the latter.

Similar to the Fitbit Flex set up is very, very easy. This came with very little in the way of an owner's manual and directed me to a web link to set up my device. From there it was very easy to download the app, pair my device with my phone, input my personal stats (i.e. height, weight, etc.) and get started. That said, there are a couple of things worth noting. First, mine came with no battery charge what so ever so it is necessary to charge this before you can use it. For me it took about a couple of hours to get a full charge. Also, there are two Jawbone apps in the Apple App store so you'll want to make sure you download the correct one. (The one I downloaded was the wrong one at first.)

Once you've charged your device and had under five minutes of set up you're ready to go. This was where I started to notice differences between the UP3 and the Flex. I personally find the app to be organized in a less intuitive manner for the UP3 than the Flex. Granted, the Flex was my first device so it's highly likely I'm orienting myself based on where I'm used to finding things for that device. However, I find a lot of app design is so intuitive these days that you can download something and pretty quickly figure out where everything is and access it in a convenient fashion. I personally find the main dashboard on the UP3 to be a lot more cluttered when really want I want is a quick read of my stats in an intuitive fashion. It also took me a little while to figure out where to log my additional exercise. What UP3 does have that Flex doesn't is the smart coach feature which gives you various tips related to health that are supposedly based off the data you input. In the beginning it's more tips about how to use the app and encouraging messages, but it also compares your activity to the community at large. This is one of those features that seems really nice in theory but there wasn't really anything there that I found to be particularly enlightening or encouraging. However, I've also read a lot in the past on diet and health so it's possible these tips would be more helpful to someone who is just starting out.

The other big thing you get with this device that you don't with the Flex is that it measures your heart rate. Unfortunately it only measures your resting heart rate so if you're looking to understand the patterns of your heart rate during a workout, this device doesn't do that. Personally I was pretty bummed about that, though I do love that it seems to make the sleep measurement more accurate on this device than on my Flex. The readout is much more detailed and interesting, though I'm not sure it's perfectly accurate as there have been times I know I woke up to check alarm that aren't recorded on the device.

Probably the biggest thing that confused me about this device was the discrepancies I've been getting between the measurements on this device vs. my UP3. For some reason with this device I log more active minutes, but it counts between 1,000-2,000 fewer steps than the UP3. I have NO idea why this is the case as I've been wearing them at the same time to compare. It expected they both might not have the exact same readout, but I wasn't anticipating that big of a difference. It's also hard to tell if the UP3 is missing steps because with the Flex it seems to log my steps almost simultaneously on the app when I have it connected via Bluetooth while I'm walking but with UP3 there is a definite lag. This probably wouldn't bother me if I'd started with the UP3 but when you're used to seeing a certain step count it's odd to see 1,000-2,000 less for the same activity levels.

In terms of the device itself, it feels solid and looks high quality. It's definitely a little thinner and lighter than the UP3. The one thing worth noting is that unlike the Flex it doesn't seem like you can customize it with third party bands, etc. I've liked that feature for the Flex because it adds a bit more novelty. I also don't care for the clasp on the UP3. I find it a bit more cumbersome to make it tight enough to get the resting heart rate meeting and it's tend to catch on things, though thankfully it hasn't snagged anything yet.

In the end, I'm torn about how I feel about this device. I do like that it gives me a more detailed readout of my sleep than I get with my Flex. But I don't care for the app interface or the clasp design on the band. And I'm really puzzled by why I'm all of a sudden logging so many fewer steps than with the Flex.

Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter - Juicy Papaya
Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter - Juicy Papaya
Offered by Total Care
Price: $9.45
17 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the color and the moisture, July 1, 2015
This was my first time trying Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter and I was pleasantly surprised. It reminds me of a more affordable version of Benefit's Cha Cha Balm. It's pleasantly moisturizing and glides on sheer with a slight orange/coral hue that's both flattering and a fun change of pace from reds, pinks and mauves. I like it for a more subtle and natural summer look. I also think the amount of shine is perfect. It's not quite as wet looking as a lip gloss, but has more shine than a typical lipstick. I do think if you have exceptionally dry or chapped lips this doesn't really take the place of chapstick, but is perfect for everyday moisture. I've really been enjoying wearing it with Smashbox's blush in Apricot or Guava on my cheeks. Typically I tend to go to specialty or department stores for my makeup but this pleasantly surprised me and I'd definitely check out other colors in the line, especially for more novelty colors I may not wear enough to justify spending more on.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20