Profile for Heidi > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Heidi RSS Feed (Berkeley, CA USA)

Sunbeam Microwave Glass Turntable Plate / Tray 10 1/2"
Sunbeam Microwave Glass Turntable Plate / Tray 10 1/2"
Offered by TM seller of replacement plates
Price: $44.95
3 used & new from $39.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, December 18, 2014
I took a chance on this based on another review. It works on my Kenmore 900 watt microwave.

Sailing in a Spoonful of Water: A Landlubber's Education on a Vintage Wooden Boat
by Joe Coomer
48 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Another Great Book from Joe Coomer, August 20, 2013
I love Joe Coomer, and I'm going back to read all his books, including this one. I wonder why he's not more well-known. Beautiful, beautiful prose and insight, and this book was written while he was a lot younger.

My Mother Was Nuts
My Mother Was Nuts
Price: $2.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Juicy Gossip, April 4, 2013
I loved all the gossipy stuff, of course, but the fact that she could call the book "My Mother Was Nuts" won me over first thing. Very interesting to hear her experiences growing up with people who would later become famous or accomplished--was it something about NYC?

Parrish Magic Line 9 x 13 x 2 Inch Oblong Cake Pan
Parrish Magic Line 9 x 13 x 2 Inch Oblong Cake Pan
Price: $19.86
4 used & new from $14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars What Perfection!, December 20, 2012
Some have described this pan as rustic, but I love seeing the riveting, and knowing that this pan is perfectly rectangular. I made corn bread in it for Thanksgiving and it came out perfectly! I will be buying more of these pans.

Aiwa FRAP77 Fashion Design Clock Radio (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Aiwa FRAP77 Fashion Design Clock Radio (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Zoooogle
Price: $39.95

5.0 out of 5 stars My All Time Favorite, September 14, 2012
I first saw this clock during a stopover at the Tokyo airport in 2001 and knew it was a great design. I got home and bought one immediately. That one finally broke down, after taking a lot of abuse. I despaired I would never find another, and was relieved to find someone still had some. I'm guessing this is someone's purchase of an overstock lot somewhere and when they're gone they'll be gone for good.

I love the small footprint, but the ease of setting the alarm time is the best thing about this clock radio. Just spin the dial to the time and that's it. I had previously had a digital clock radio that involved using two hands to get to buttons UNDERNEATH the unit just to set the wake-up time. When you're tired and sleepy, that's just enough concentration to wake you up!

This unit also doesn't have a disturbing light unless you need it. It makes a faint ticking sound that has never bothered me, and I'm very sensitive to noises like that.

It's just perfect.

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane
by Katherine Howe
Price: $13.68
66 used & new from $1.53

2.0 out of 5 stars I must get this out of my system!, August 22, 2010
I bought this book without reading any reviews because I was looking for a good summer novel, perhaps along the lines of Ahab's Wife. This was not that book. In fact, I find myself writing a rare review just so I can get my frustrations out and move on to something better before Labor day.

Connie has got to be the dimmest Ph.D. candidate ever. The most obvious clues seem to make her say "Hmm" and then move on to something else.

I knew as soon as Connie was moving to her grandmother's house that she was a descendent of witches and the book was her ancestor's.

The house is so dilapidated yet with barely a dusting, is inhabitable. The first night Liz sleeps in one of the beds. Were the linens still clean after 20 years? I felt like sneezing the further I went, not having read of any laundry being done.

The book is set in 1991 because there was no internet back then. If there had been, there would be no going to libraries to encounter rude clerks, no running across a handsome steeplejack, in fact, no novel at all. The only other reason I can think of is so that Connie can be the daughter of a cliché New Age baby boomer.

No one forgets their own name, as a previous reviewer mentioned.

I give the book two stars because the historical flashbacks are quite good.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2013 10:38 PM PDT

Bodies and Souls: The Century Project
Bodies and Souls: The Century Project
by Frank Cordelle
Edition: Bonded Leather
16 used & new from $56.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Body Look!, December 6, 2006
I've seen most of the images in this book in person and I can't express how important this book is. America and a lot of the rest of the planet are woman-hating places to be. We always hear the phrase that people come in all shapes, colors and sizes, but this book will show you the beauty that exists in all shapes, colors and sizes.

Fat Girl: A True Story
Fat Girl: A True Story
by Judith Moore
137 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars A Wide Swath of Horrible Generalizations, March 13, 2005
This review is from: Fat Girl: A True Story (Hardcover)
I understand that this is one woman's memoirs of growing up fat and in an abusive situation. I don't deny that she experienced hatred because of being fat, because fat people today still do, but to generalize her experience onto every single fat person, as when she uses the word "you" to explain her own experience, belies her hatred for fat people in general.

*I* would hate for a non-fat person to read this book and decide, because Moore reinforces all the negative stereotypes about self-loathing and how disgusting fat people are, that it all must be true--we are all living tragic, lonely, sexless, food-obsessed lives.

If you still think she doesn't think this way, read the article she wrote (...)where my favorite (not!) quote is: Even the Size 3000 pantyhose made especially for fat women rip and tear when you try getting your tiny hog feet through the hosiery's filmy fabric.

I'm not orders of magnitude bigger than a size small, I do find clothes and hosiery to fit me, everyone has clothes made "especially" for them (it's called "your size"), I am able to put them on wiithout tearing them, and I don't have "tiny hog feet" (I'd wager Moore doesn't, either, and yes, I do understand the shallow meataphor), I have normal-sized human feet! I wish I could fill the margins with notes for every sentence like this in the book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2009 9:13 AM PST

The Bonesetter's Daughter
The Bonesetter's Daughter
by Amy Tan
823 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Amy, Will You Help Me?, March 4, 2001
Amy, please help me write my family's history! Actually, so many elements are similar to yours, I may not need to. I started crying after reading just the Acknowledgements and the Dedication. I nursed my Chinese mother and grandmother as they both died within the last 3 years. I never knew their original names until I wrangled them out of my grandmother a few months before she died.
Ruth's frustrations and guilt are portrayed exactly as I felt them while growing up. I loved the many-layered theme of the ghostwriter. This book touched me deeply, and I don't know how I'll be able to do a better job with my family's history. Some of the details are different, but the feelings are exactly the same.